Carlow Forum

NFL 2013

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Theres no doubt I'd love to see Carlow winning to day, so the way I see it is, if we loose by 0-03 or more points we have gone back in football terms and the season is all but over, if we draw we have steadied the ship and can build on that, but should we win then I think we have made real progress, add to that the other recent results.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 2109 - 16/03/2013 11:56:49    1350317

Link

hopefully we can get a win today, if we do then promotion is within our grasp, lose and it's another year in the dungeon, can't make todays game will have to listen on radio :(

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1296 - 16/03/2013 12:10:21    1350320

Link

This team doesnt know how to win. They did well to get back in the game and go ahead but couldnt drive on. Ref didnt help with a poor performance

oldmcdonald (Carlow) - Posts: 140 - 16/03/2013 20:16:31    1350520

Link

I not surprised at all ,some of those players are just not up to it. We wont win anything until we put our best 15 on the field. Simples..

pennypincher (Carlow) - Posts: 777 - 16/03/2013 20:51:13    1350545

Link

We couldn't win today with that ref. At least we will never see him getting an inter county game again.

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1235 - 16/03/2013 21:00:40    1350558

Link

What has happened after such a bright start. Promotion outa the window now. A reality check for Rainbow

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2773 - 17/03/2013 12:27:07    1350773

Link

lads was at the game yesterday the ref wasn't the problem he was bad for both teams gave carlow alot of 50 50s in the 2nd half so cant blame the ref on this one. j Murphy made big impact in 2nd half when brought out carlow dominated midfelid for large parts of the 2nd half. we missed some bad frees as did offaly but lack of scoring forwards in the full forward line cost us again with nothing to play for now why not try hayden at corner forward in last 2 games could make a big difference.

dcarlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 155 - 17/03/2013 13:11:46    1350826

Link

Have to agree with dcarlowman.

The ref may have cost us yesterday's match but no point in going near div3 without a full forward line.

Jj smith, Paul broderick, Eric McCormick would be a start.

Or even the crazy idea of playing 3 forwards in the full forward line.

carlovia (None) - Posts: 1147 - 17/03/2013 13:38:42    1350845

Link

Well said 'dcarlowman'. I would agree with you about hayden - particularly as Redmond gave an outstanding performance yesterday at CHB. Which should now allow Hayden into corner forward - we need forwards like him who will react quickly to half chances and loose ball.
Gannon brought in way too late again yesterday and other subs brought in almost on full time, despite the fact that 3/4 players were struggling badly on the field all through 2nd half.

D Foley, Brian Murphy and Minchin all caught for pace ..... and the latter 2 make up our "full-forward line''!!!!!!

Had the sun in my eyes yesterday and couldnt see the brendan murphy 'foul-throw' (which changed the game) but speaking to people on way out who were right beside where it happened said it was a proper box of the ball.

Our best performers yesterday were Lawler (our best FB), K Nolan, Redmond, Walker, Brendan Murphy, Ruth, John Murphy, Gannon (if on earlier could have been the diff in winning and losing. )

We are good enough to get out of div 4 (not going to happen this year) if we improve our system of play, get all injured players back and play our scoring forwards in the 'forwards'. ....SIMPLE!!

fullbach (Carlow) - Posts: 256 - 17/03/2013 13:43:28    1350851

Link

Well thats it again for another year as regards the league. As it stands now with 2 matches remaining Carlow are 2nd from bottom on the league table with just London below them and we know that London should have beaten Carlow that day, so technically in the Island of Ireland we are bottom! We have 2 matches to pull ourselves up the table a bit. I think its safe to say that playing a two man full forward line and Ray Walker as sweeper does not work, but I presume the management team will persist with this format. Other counties play with this format but the difference is they have the players who can play this way successfully. If he stays with this plan perhaps he would consider putting Sean Gannon back in that sweeper role and allow Ray to play further up the field? As for bringing in some scoring forwards i would think he has his panel now and whoever is there will make up the team for the championship rightly or wrongly.

dual supporter (Carlow) - Posts: 772 - 17/03/2013 17:39:02    1351024

Link

Lads ive been sayin it since Obyrne cup our full forward line is a liability, no point in beatin around the bush here. Neither of them have any pace and even the free takin is poor. Why oh why wasnt Gannon startin yesterday. The selectors are clueless and should have gone with Dempsey. This div. was eminently winnable with the right team startin but its blown now for another year and all through ineptitude.

pennypincher (Carlow) - Posts: 777 - 17/03/2013 17:56:02    1351053

Link

Sean Gannon as sweeper should be tried starting next Sunday. Leave Shane Redmond at pivot and get ray Walker and Derek Hayden into the forwards where they are most needed. Need to get JJ Smith back in as well. Hopefully Daniel st ledger will be back soon also to keep the score board ticking over from long range frees. These four changes would radically improve the forward line which is not to say we'd be world beaters but with Conor Lawlor back the backs don't look like they will let us down.

Now if only we had Mark Brennan Alfie Corcoran Hughie Gahan and Paul Broderick ........

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1235 - 17/03/2013 19:57:28    1351149

Link

pennypincher, are you saying bring back Dempsey after the slating he received for the past few years. Rainbow was a breath of fresh air but now he is been slated. Dempsey in his time had Carlow in the mix with a match or two to go. Now they are at the other end of the table with two matches to go. It is a baptism of fire for Rainbow

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2773 - 17/03/2013 20:07:58    1351156

Link

No clearly I am not sayin bring back Dempsey, I was glad to see the back of him. But those selectors have been there too long and should have gone with him.Can you offer any excuse for the last 3 performances? Well IMO the fault lies with putting the wrong team on the field. I have been preachin bout J. Murphy here for the last 2 months yet last Sunday was the first start that he got. In the previous 3 games he was brought on with less than 10 mins. to go. He has proven every time that he is way ahead of some who are startin before him 100% fit or not. Playin Redmond out of position, not playin Walker in midfield, playin 3 forwards who are not good enough, how many examples do we need, insisting on Foley in midfield even tho he clearly hasnt the pace or stamina for the position. Playin hayden in the backs when he is one of the best forwards that we have. Its total madness and everyone at the matches can see it except the management apparently.

pennypincher (Carlow) - Posts: 777 - 17/03/2013 20:34:52    1351181

Link

Who would you have brought in to replace Dempsey then

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2773 - 17/03/2013 21:18:50    1351208

Link

An unlikely double I know but if Leitrim beat Tipp next weekend and Waterford beat Offaly then remarkably promotion could still be within our grasp if we win our last two games. A long shot I know and we would still need another couple of results to go our way on the final day as our scoring difference is so poor but it just goes to show how achievable promotion was this year. The win against Tipp gave us a great springboard. Clare come to DCP next Sunday knowing if they win their remaining games they will more than likely be promoted thanks to Limerick's poor scoring difference (so far at least).

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1235 - 17/03/2013 21:55:51    1351254

Link

Division 4 Played Pts

Limerick 5 8
Tipperary 5 6
Offaly 5 6
Leitrim 5 4
Clare 4 4
Waterford 5 4
Carlow 5 4
London 4 2

Looking at the Div 4 table has a familiar pattern to other years. Regardless of how well we played, losing by a kick of a ball here and there we are still in same positionl. The only difference this year is we have most of our players in with the county but lacking tactics and failing to put forwards in correct positions. We have to score more than the opposition to win and thats not going to happen unless we have the likes of walker hayden gannon in forwards.

novalis (Carlow) - Posts: 271 - 18/03/2013 13:36:44    1351370

Link

I said at the very start of the league that this is not the year for Carlow to get promoted to Div.3 as they don't have the team for the jump up, add to that, should they get promoted they would only come tumbling back down next season and that would set them back another 70 yrs.
Lots of things needed to get Carlow promoted and then have the ability to stay up but those things are evidently not there, the blame game and singling out players for negative reasons (as I have found out) is no longer an option, in fact blaming the players full stop, is no longer an option.
The problems facing Anthony Rainbow are long term and deep rooted, he as an inexperienced manager is not going to change them on his own, a two man management team is definitely needed and a new set of selectors that is not bias to wards any one club.
More importantly there is some one needed to take the responsibity to put the house of Carlow football in order and clearly this is not happening, and should we loose the remaining two games which is possible, and London win theirs which is also possible, then disaster strikes and we finish bottom of the table, but does anyone really care.?
Blaming the referee, individual players and lack of scoring forwards is the easy way out, I understand it's all about opinions here, but IMO the will is not there to get Carlow out of div.4.
Last year Carlow started badly and finished with a couple of win's.
This year they started with a couple of win's but are finishing badly.
Year in year out it's always the same few excuses, if's, and's but's. may be's ref's, etc, etc. - - - -but it's out of the frying pan and into a different fire year in year out.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 2109 - 18/03/2013 17:37:40    1351536

Link

Supersub15,
respectfully, what is your point? Are you saying you think promotion would be a bad thing?

Bosco (Carlow) - Posts: 664 - 18/03/2013 18:08:39    1351555

Link

super sub. You're like a lot of our keyboard warriors. Obviously never played at a serious level with that level of analysis...are you suggesting we go out to finsh 3rd? Get a life.

This team is a team in name only. They have no discernable style of play; a lot of our players are individuals and do not understand the basics of team work. Attacking play is affected by the withdrawal of a forward and it does nothing for the defence either.
We lack a single forward who you know could score once he gets possession. No Bernard Brogan, Gooch Cooper, a go to player. The best forwards in the county are not on the panel for some inexplicable reason. Top scorer in the SFC McCormack wanted to go in but wasn't asked - at least that's the talk on the terrace anyway. Changes are being made too late. Gannon got another 10 minutes - and we made more last minutes changes like against other teams. Why bother at that stage?

oldmcdonald (Carlow) - Posts: 140 - 19/03/2013 14:55:04    1352037

Link