Carlow Forum

NFL 2013

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Agree with most of your team fullbach but id have P. murphy on for K. Nolan with benny out in half line. Id also always start a fit j. Murphy. BTW any word onmissing players Lambe, cashin, etc. What happened to C. Mullins, is he still on the scene.

pennypincher (Carlow) - Posts: 777 - 05/03/2013 09:56:04    1342975

Link

Bit harsh there maybe TAK but the gist of your comments are accurate. I think he is a better trainer than manager and I also believe that our current trainer has not covered himself in glory over the last few years. We seem to be continuing the same way this year as they were welloff the pace on Sunday. Leitrim got behind the ball and broke hard and we were left flat footed time after time. The game we are playing is obsolete when compared to where other counties have moved.

pennypincher (Carlow) - Posts: 777 - 05/03/2013 10:59:46    1343037

Link

I dont know if it's possible to get a real understanding for the county team on Radio Vladivostok.com (or via KCLR online). Wouldnt be relying on either source. Blowing Luke Dempsey era up as something worth recalling is pure fantasy and the players will tell you that Rainbow is streets ahead in his preparation and management. He is making mistakes but dont they all? Too much is made of the Manager anyway. We know they are training hard, we know the set up is good and we know a lot of players did not perform. That is their responsibility. But as I said these things happen. In every County. Look at Kerry, look at Galway....

oldmcdonald (Carlow) - Posts: 140 - 05/03/2013 12:43:15    1343169

Link

Pennypincher - Paul Cashin is still injured as is Barry Lambe. Cormac Mullins was asked but said no. I would put in Skippy Callinan in that half back line. He had a tremendous year for his club - in fact the half back line of Skippy, Derek and Benny would be a good choice. What do you think Anthony will do on Sunday v Limerick now that he doesnt have Derek (i presume he will be suspended)?

dual supporter (Carlow) - Posts: 772 - 05/03/2013 12:47:18    1343176

Link

Id agree with you bout Callinan, very tight marker who doesnt foul often. Its a no brainer when you see what we have there at the minute.He hasnt much options but to put redmond in there, while he is a bit slow it is still his best position.
Im personally not a fan of derek at centre half, Eire Og could afford it because they have plenty of firepower up front, we dont , so Id have derek in the forwards, even on Sunday he would have created havoc whereas B. Murphy hasnt enough pace to trouble full back line.
I heard there was a bit of a row after Sundays game with some players complaining bout refusal of others to pass the ball and there is certainly more than a grain of truth in this. They had 7 sessions between London and leitrim sono wonder they lookedout of it. I think management got it wrong as they prob. bought into popular opinion that we would beat Leitrim and then be ready for limerick on Sunday. Afraid thats dead in the water now and I dont see us being able for limerick, certainly not with the team that started last Sunday or 2 of the subs that were introduced.

pennypincher (Carlow) - Posts: 777 - 05/03/2013 13:47:00    1343235

Link

That might not ne a bad thing pennypincher if true! Sometimes it has to be faced up to. It has to be frustrating to be a forward becasue we have a lot of players who toe tap and slow the game down.

Benekerry (Cavan) - Posts: 258 - 05/03/2013 14:29:56    1343276

Link

Trevor

b lambe c lawler b kavanagh

cashin s redmond k nolan

brendan murphy eoin ruth

derek hayden r walker s gannon

mccormack brian murphy jj smith

subs: s mernagh, st ledger, d foley, p murphy, bj molloy, j murphy, a kelly, d ware,

Impressive team there fullbach. 3/4 not available thru injury etc. I see you have a lot of our starting 15 on the bench - would agree with most of them. That half forward line is as good as they come and all with plenty of speed and fitness to cover back and defend Also all 3 are good in the air. put yourself forward as a selector for next year. i presume you forgot paul reid. Some bench though to bring on.

novalis (Carlow) - Posts: 271 - 05/03/2013 15:59:05    1343357

Link

Trevor

b lambe c lawler b kavanagh

cashin s redmond k nolan

brendan murphy eoin ruth

derek hayden r walker s gannon

mccormack brian murphy jj smith

subs: s mernagh, st ledger, d foley, p murphy, bj molloy, j murphy, a kelly, d ware,

Possibly a better team than played in the League so far. BUT Cashin is out injured and wont be back this year - why pick him. Barry Lamber maybe be back later in the year? Be realistic. Them you have McCormack. Thats an interesting one. Def scored well for Eire Og last year - but how much was from frees on the side Brian Murphy kicks them from? I know he is a good man to get a goal and no one else on the panel does that. Dont see him winning his own ball at county level. What would he win against an intercounty back? See him at the games and heard he wanted to go in so was strange not brought in.
Walker is a stylish ball carrier who doesnt score and doesnt let the ball in quick enough. Was marking Mulligan in second half but stood off. Why? Not that hard to man mark an opponent if thats the job you are given. Dont get me wrong about him. He looks like he has it all but needs direction. Would be a real help if he could get on the scoreboard. Ware left the panel so forget about having him on your panel.
Not knocking ye - its a good team but thems my opinions

oldmcdonald (Carlow) - Posts: 140 - 05/03/2013 18:03:26    1343504

Link

A pity that the team did not perform last Sunday. It makes it harder to qualify and adds more pressure on the team. Next Sunday will be very difficult for the tream, playing away from hime might give them a bit more zest for the game and hopefully a better performance. All is not lost yet!

carlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 1510 - 05/03/2013 21:03:01    1343632

Link

I have a gut feeling that the 0-37 defeat our u-21 team suffered in the Dublin game had some negative affect on the senior team's performance against Leitrim, so the fear of loosing took over, hence the result.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 2109 - 07/03/2013 10:08:35    1344537

Link

Team picked for Sunday is the same as last week except Alan Kelly comes in at no. 14 and Shane Redmond drops back to replace Derek Hayden. Sean Gannon is listed amongst the subs but still no sign of a return for Daniel St. Ledger.

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1235 - 08/03/2013 08:24:51    1345111

Link

Oldmacdonald, you are such a clever and witty guy. For the record, I have never listened to radio Vladivostok and I have only been to that city 2 times ever. As for KCLR online, I think they provide a fine service to all the young Carlow people who have been forced to work abroad so that older public sector workers back home can keep their fat salaries and pensions.

You mention Galway and Kerry? Get can be excused losses because their target this year is to win the all-Ireland. They experiment in the league - we don't because our target is to get promoted from Division 4. Or do you really believe that Rainbow has been set the target of winning the Sam Maguire?

As for Dempsey, I don't claim it's a glory era. However, we reached our first Leinster semi-final for almost 50 years under him, that is quite an achievement. He also held a Meath team which had made a complete joke out of us just before he took over -I was at that, it was excruciating.

Before he came, the situation was a mess. He failed to get us out of division 4 and some of his team selections were baffling - but Rainbow's are beyond baffling. They are absurd. He is playing 7 backs (two out of position, 2 simply not up to it) and we shipping heavier scores than we did when we used 6 backs.

After Luke, I wanted a proven manager to take us to the next level, not a guy with no experience who is learning on the job. Yes he was a great player, so were Roy Keane, Liam Brady and John Barnes, all rubbish managers. Jose Mourinho and Andre Villas-Boas hardly kicked a ball in their lives. Do you get the analogy?

I will place it GAA terms - would you rather Sean Boylan or Graham Geraghty as your manager? I know which one i would pick.

One was a great player, the other hardly played.

TAFKANO1FAN (Carlow) - Posts: 588 - 08/03/2013 09:47:09    1345153

Link

Oldmacdonald, you are such a clever and witty guy. Thanks!

For the record, I have never listened to radio Vladivostok and I have only been to that city 2 times ever. As for KCLR online, I think they provide a fine service to all the young Carlow people who have been forced to work abroad so that older public sector workers back home can keep their fat salaries and pensions.
That's a pity. Maybe their GAA coverage are on par. Wouldn't rate KCLR too highly. Too much populist ranting and shouting. Can be good at times esp hurling coverage. Thats a terrible divide comment about public sector workers, many of whom work as hard and as long as those in the private sector. They are not all on big money. Shame to see young people leaving Ireland for economic reasons.

You mention Galway and Kerry? Get can be excused losses because their target this year is to win the all-Ireland. They experiment in the league - we don't because our target is to get promoted from Division 4. Or do you really believe that Rainbow has been set the target of winning the Sam Maguire?
Snow must have you very isolated over there if you think that. Galway have been struggling under different managers for years now. Kerry face long term fall down the pecking order.

As for Dempsey, I don't claim it's a glory era. However, we reached our first Leinster semi-final for almost 50 years under him, that is quite an achievement. He also held a Meath team which had made a complete joke out of us just before he took over -I was at that, it was excruciating.
You are joking. Dempsey was not a good manager or coach. If he brought anything to the table it was that he was a lucky manager. It was no great achievement reaching a Leinster semi - we beat Louth by a point and were hammered out the gate by Wexford 4-12 to 0-10... we won ONE game..
And we threw away at least 2 Leinster U21 Final appearances because of him imo. Ive read so many comments from you about Dempsey and no one has refuted them. Add in disastrous starts to every NFL campaign under him...

Before he came, the situation was a mess. He failed to get us out of division 4 and some of his team selections were baffling - but Rainbow's are beyond baffling. They are absurd. He is playing 7 backs (two out of position, 2 simply not up to it) and we shipping heavier scores than we did when we used 6 backs.

After Luke, I wanted a proven manager to take us to the next level, not a guy with no experience who is learning on the job. Yes he was a great player, so were Roy Keane, Liam Brady and John Barnes, all rubbish managers. Jose Mourinho and Andre Villas-Boas hardly kicked a ball in their lives. Do you get the analogy?
Mick O Dwyer never managed before he took over Kerry and became the most successful manager of all time.
Jason Ryan....Glen Ryan.....Kieran McGeeney.....

Sorry but your flawed logic grates with mw and you keep repeating something that is so far off the mark and never seriously challenged.

oldmcdonald (Carlow) - Posts: 140 - 08/03/2013 11:04:45    1345229

Link

I agree with a lot of that TAF.

Promotion from Div. 4 needs to be at the heart of every piece of work done by the Co. Bo and management with regards to our senior footballers.

St.John (Carlow) - Posts: 202 - 08/03/2013 11:06:57    1345231

Link

Can't know Rainbow. Jason Ryan was unproven when he took over at Wexford

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2773 - 08/03/2013 11:57:58    1345277

Link

Cannot believe that Onion Breath, to pick the same team after last weeks debacle is just baffling.

pennypincher (Carlow) - Posts: 777 - 08/03/2013 14:36:26    1345439

Link

The same team as last week, surely that's a mistake there has to be changes. Keith Jackson, John Murphy and Sean Gannon must start.

Optimist2013 (Carlow) - Posts: 24 - 08/03/2013 14:45:00    1345450

Link

Limerick is a crunch game for Carlow even though other results could mean a loss might not kill us off.
I have to agree with posters that the selection is surprising after the three games we have played.
Not criticising any of the starting fifteen but I would like to see what way some of the other panelists are shaping up and how would they play in an important game. I would not like to see any more players coming on with time almost up and expected to change a game.

Benekerry (Cavan) - Posts: 258 - 08/03/2013 17:16:48    1345591

Link

Seems like a vote of confidence in the Carlow fifteen, hopefully they can redeem themselves.

Nice to see Redmond at no.6 on team, hoping he plays there, was hard to watch last week when it called out for him to be placed there in 2nd half.

We were so poor at contesting kickouts, hoping we are more alert in that area and even if we play a forward deeper, everyone pitches in to prevent easy kick outs. This is basic stuff and was as blatant as the mistakes made on line.
Decision making on the ball has to be good too, if guys are available on overlaps use them, not kicking 50/50 ball into a forward marked by 2 backs.

Don't normally agree with Tafka on much but he makes valid points here even if from radio siberia, but as the FG crowd say we are where we are, so lets get behind the lads, promotion and world domination is still possible. See ye all in Limerick

MOH (Carlow) - Posts: 126 - 08/03/2013 17:32:08    1345610

Link

there will be a few changes to that line up before the game starts

novalis (Carlow) - Posts: 271 - 08/03/2013 17:48:20    1345628

Link