Galway Forum

Galway Vs Tipperary

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Galwayspur:  "I think K Cooneys pace would be a great option of the bench."
Ja Mannion is the man if you want pace.

TanCanRan (Galway) - Posts: 57 - 24/11/2020 21:43:15    2315002

Link

Replying To TanCanRan:  "And the now is Kevin Cooney played club championship and scored 2-3 from play in it's entirety. He was removed from the frees and in no shape or form had a better club championship than Conor Cooney. He wont be taking sidelines with Joe on the field.

What is the basis Kevin Cooney is going to be a better ball winner than Conor Cooney - because under O'Neill system that's the only position that's available. He's persisting with a two man inside line of Concannon and Whelan and a sweeper. Kevin Cooney isn't better than either of them. Cooney is on this team for his workrate and under the puckouts. He played a big part in two goals the last day and tacked over a point. He works hard, empties the tank, and is then replaced.

What is Kevin Cooney going to bring in O'Neill's system? He's hardly renowned for ball winning, he is a worse tackler than Conor Cooney. It's grand naming lads but you're just sticking round pegs in square holes.

Clearly, like I said, he's not pulling up any tree in training. The man isn't even making the 26 never mind the starting team."
100% Correct
K.Cooney definitely isn't the answer and wouldn't bring anything to the team.

katser (Galway) - Posts: 1162 - 24/11/2020 23:01:27    2315052

Link

Replying To TanCanRan:  "And the now is Kevin Cooney played club championship and scored 2-3 from play in it's entirety. He was removed from the frees and in no shape or form had a better club championship than Conor Cooney. He wont be taking sidelines with Joe on the field.

What is the basis Kevin Cooney is going to be a better ball winner than Conor Cooney - because under O'Neill system that's the only position that's available. He's persisting with a two man inside line of Concannon and Whelan and a sweeper. Kevin Cooney isn't better than either of them. Cooney is on this team for his workrate and under the puckouts. He played a big part in two goals the last day and tacked over a point. He works hard, empties the tank, and is then replaced.

What is Kevin Cooney going to bring in O'Neill's system? He's hardly renowned for ball winning, he is a worse tackler than Conor Cooney. It's grand naming lads but you're just sticking round pegs in square holes.

Clearly, like I said, he's not pulling up any tree in training. The man isn't even making the 26 never mind the starting team."
So you really think that Conor Cooney scoring 1 point out of 6 chances, fumbling simple balls e.g. the one Fintan Burke passed to him in the second half the last day and giving away multiple frees as he cannot tackle is good enough to keep him in the starting team? If he was in any way playing like he played in 2017 / 2018 when he was knocking over points and scoring goals for fun I would agree with you but he has been in terrible form for Galway in the last 2 years - he is a confidence player and his confidence is gone. The only reason he seems to hand pass more often that not now when he gets the ball (and that is not too often) is that he doesn't want to hit another wide and that is not good enough. Kevin Cooney proved he has matured into a very good player this year - he was always skillful but he just needed to bulk up and get stuck in more and he is doing that now.

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2407 - 24/11/2020 23:25:26    2315063

Link

TanCanRan you're a disgrace shaming and sprouting insinuating comments about young lads on these pages who give it they're all for their county. You and others who do the same should be ashamed.

clare_sparrow (Galway) - Posts: 295 - 25/11/2020 07:52:06    2315084

Link

if pace and high energy is required like the game plan waterford play, could jamie ryan not be worth 20 minutes?

CillTormoir (Galway) - Posts: 214 - 25/11/2020 09:13:06    2315092

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "So you really think that Conor Cooney scoring 1 point out of 6 chances, fumbling simple balls e.g. the one Fintan Burke passed to him in the second half the last day and giving away multiple frees as he cannot tackle is good enough to keep him in the starting team? If he was in any way playing like he played in 2017 / 2018 when he was knocking over points and scoring goals for fun I would agree with you but he has been in terrible form for Galway in the last 2 years - he is a confidence player and his confidence is gone. The only reason he seems to hand pass more often that not now when he gets the ball (and that is not too often) is that he doesn't want to hit another wide and that is not good enough. Kevin Cooney proved he has matured into a very good player this year - he was always skillful but he just needed to bulk up and get stuck in more and he is doing that now."
Your correct in saying C.Cooney isn't playing well, but he has the proven potential to do serious damage when he does click. I want him to deliver that potential big time...Galway needs him!
K.Cooney has only played well a Club level for a team that only reached the Quarter Finals???
This is too big of a game.....All Ireland Semi Final to throw in a rookie Club hurler who will upset the System....all the Fowards know eachother inside out and play for one another as a Unit.C.Cooney plays his part by winning frees for JC and setting up scores, even though he isn't clicking he still needs to be watched by the opposition

katser (Galway) - Posts: 1162 - 25/11/2020 11:21:14    2315123

Link

Replying To katser:  "Your correct in saying C.Cooney isn't playing well, but he has the proven potential to do serious damage when he does click. I want him to deliver that potential big time...Galway needs him!
K.Cooney has only played well a Club level for a team that only reached the Quarter Finals???
This is too big of a game.....All Ireland Semi Final to throw in a rookie Club hurler who will upset the System....all the Fowards know eachother inside out and play for one another as a Unit.C.Cooney plays his part by winning frees for JC and setting up scores, even though he isn't clicking he still needs to be watched by the opposition"
I think Conor Cooney in good form ala 2017 / 2018 is a very good player and would be on any other county team but I don't think given his current poor form the likes of Cody, Kiely etc. would be picking him so why should we? Managers have to be brave if they are to win e.g. the last day SON decided to take off David Burke and Johnny Coen at half time and it worked with effective substitutes like Tuohy and Flynn being introduced. Cody whipped off Colin Fennelly, Walter Walsh and Eoin Reid in the second half when they were not performing and wasn't too concerned about their big game reputations - we all know what happened after that. Galway need to have a similar ruthless approach and I think Kevin Cooney could be a big asset just like Walter Walsh (who was relatively unknown at the time) was in the 2012 AI Final.

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2407 - 25/11/2020 11:46:57    2315137

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "So you really think that Conor Cooney scoring 1 point out of 6 chances, fumbling simple balls e.g. the one Fintan Burke passed to him in the second half the last day and giving away multiple frees as he cannot tackle is good enough to keep him in the starting team? If he was in any way playing like he played in 2017 / 2018 when he was knocking over points and scoring goals for fun I would agree with you but he has been in terrible form for Galway in the last 2 years - he is a confidence player and his confidence is gone. The only reason he seems to hand pass more often that not now when he gets the ball (and that is not too often) is that he doesn't want to hit another wide and that is not good enough. Kevin Cooney proved he has matured into a very good player this year - he was always skillful but he just needed to bulk up and get stuck in more and he is doing that now."
Well, when the alternatives are Niall Burke and Jason Flynn in a role of a ball winning attacker, then yes, yes I do.

You speaking as if K Cooney is an alternative. He's not. He's only an option instead of the insides two given what O'Neill wants from his team. If Kevin Cooney is so useful, why is he not making the 26?

TanCanRan (Galway) - Posts: 57 - 25/11/2020 11:47:04    2315138

Link

Replying To clare_sparrow:  "TanCanRan you're a disgrace shaming and sprouting insinuating comments about young lads on these pages who give it they're all for their county. You and others who do the same should be ashamed."
Yeah, Conor Cooney hasn't been subjected to the same thing. Grow a pair and man up for God's sake. This is inter-county hurling we're discussing, it's not the ladies knitting Olympics.

TanCanRan (Galway) - Posts: 57 - 25/11/2020 11:48:12    2315139

Link

Replying To TanCanRan:  "Well, when the alternatives are Niall Burke and Jason Flynn in a role of a ball winning attacker, then yes, yes I do.

You speaking as if K Cooney is an alternative. He's not. He's only an option instead of the insides two given what O'Neill wants from his team. If Kevin Cooney is so useful, why is he not making the 26?"
Do you think Flynn and Burke have been good as I don't think they have and I have spoken to a lot of people that think the same? In fairness Burke has had only 1 game and he was unlucky to be pulled back by the defender against KK when he made a good catch in the first half but that was about it. Flynn is certainly no ball winner and has scored only a point in each game. He made a nice pass the last day but for such a big, mobile man he doesn't contribute anything like Whelan and Concannon in the full forward line and he missed a sitter of a goal against KK when it was easier to score. He is also not a grafter like Whelan is so he promises much more than delivers in nearly every game I see play unless you see something in him that noone else sees.

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2407 - 25/11/2020 12:09:05    2315149

Link

This has turned into the Kevin vs Conor Cooney fan clubs. For what it's worth, there's a bit of truth in what both camps are saying. Conor Cooney does look short of confidence when taking on shots. He misses a lot more than he gets these days. In saying that, he is working very hard and is creating opportunities. Even in the Kilkenny game, he had a few great blocks and caught some ball.
I would like to get a look at what Kevin Cooney could offer though. He's an explosive player and has an eye for goal. People mentioning a single league match against Offaly a few years ago aren't being fair. He was very young then and we'd need to see him get proper run before passing judgement. He's a different player though and not a like-for-like replacement at wing forward.

WanPintWin (Galway) - Posts: 938 - 25/11/2020 12:11:38    2315150

Link

Replying To WanPintWin:  "This has turned into the Kevin vs Conor Cooney fan clubs. For what it's worth, there's a bit of truth in what both camps are saying. Conor Cooney does look short of confidence when taking on shots. He misses a lot more than he gets these days. In saying that, he is working very hard and is creating opportunities. Even in the Kilkenny game, he had a few great blocks and caught some ball.
I would like to get a look at what Kevin Cooney could offer though. He's an explosive player and has an eye for goal. People mentioning a single league match against Offaly a few years ago aren't being fair. He was very young then and we'd need to see him get proper run before passing judgement. He's a different player though and not a like-for-like replacement at wing forward."
Testing him is fine with a clear run of games but the season that's in it it's hardly time for throwing in a light enough sort of fella for his first proper test against Limerick. Especially when he can't make the 26 up to this point.

TanCanRan (Galway) - Posts: 57 - 25/11/2020 13:00:44    2315179

Link

while conor cooney has been out of form since the 2017 all ireland i do think he is showing signs of returing to form..he certainly moving much better..i thought he'd a good first half the last day but faded in the second half but tipp did position a sweeper right in front of him and he does work hard..hard to no where his best position is..
i still think its 14 but whelan i think is better suited there..he's such a threat.
i think the national league games next feb/mar youll see kevin cooney but not now i dont..
jamie ryan is another id like to see get a run..reminds me of tony kelly..
i think gmac is really struggling at the mo..i dont think he can go the three weeks..i actually think id drop him..
bring joe cooney to 6 and drop mannion back to his best position at 5..

gbay (Galway) - Posts: 68 - 25/11/2020 14:08:40    2315225

Link

Replying To TanCanRan:  "Testing him is fine with a clear run of games but the season that's in it it's hardly time for throwing in a light enough sort of fella for his first proper test against Limerick. Especially when he can't make the 26 up to this point."
Agree. It's difficult to throw him in at this stage. I believe he was due to be in 26 for the Wexford game, but was ruled out as a Covid contact.
I think he's a good prospect and was also very good at U21 for Galway in what was otherwise a pretty poor team.
Lads with pace and power who can finish aren't plentiful and are always good options to have on the bench. I think he'd offer more than Niland for example as an impact player.

WanPintWin (Galway) - Posts: 938 - 25/11/2020 14:33:43    2315241

Link

Well regards Conor Cooney, this year I think hes been asked to do job which I can only assume the manager is happy that hes doing it right cause I dont think he would be left on other wise. Also hes been hurling all the way to the Co final as the other Thomas's lads as were and dathi burke the effects of this is probably starting to show a little. Kevin cooney is a fine hurler and will make it there but as stated above if he was doing it hed be on the 26. The whole development of this squad has been disrupted by the virus and the league was lost to aid the development of the kevin cooney and the likes of him. Take a look at one of the top scorer from play this year cant make the 26. Obviously not up to scratch at training so not making the grade. Most of the subs in the 26 especially the forwards wouldn't be know for fielding high ball a must now with the game. I'm sure next year with a full winter of training a good run in the league we will se one or two slot into places and get a bit of time under their belt. Also we desperately need a centre back.

SupermanSub (Galway) - Posts: 13 - 25/11/2020 17:20:10    2315328

Link

Brilliant We are all agreed so.... K.Cooney to play in the League next Spring and see how it goes for him, Now back to the All Ireland Semi Final.... I would like to see Conor Cooney play at 14 with Whelan and B.Concannon 13 and 15 respectively.
P.S isn't J.Glynn a big loss for a Target Man

katser (Galway) - Posts: 1162 - 25/11/2020 18:53:36    2315370

Link

Replying To katser:  "Brilliant We are all agreed so.... K.Cooney to play in the League next Spring and see how it goes for him, Now back to the All Ireland Semi Final.... I would like to see Conor Cooney play at 14 with Whelan and B.Concannon 13 and 15 respectively.
P.S isn't J.Glynn a big loss for a Target Man"
Agree - Conor Cooney doing a fantastic job. He takes a bit of watching so drifting out into spaces he's pulling defenders and making room for other lads. With the physicality of Limerick and wet conditions, we will probably see a change or two with bigger men on from the start.

Sliotar99 (Galway) - Posts: 17 - 25/11/2020 20:31:51    2315414

Link

Replying To Sliotar99:  "Agree - Conor Cooney doing a fantastic job. He takes a bit of watching so drifting out into spaces he's pulling defenders and making room for other lads. With the physicality of Limerick and wet conditions, we will probably see a change or two with bigger men on from the start."
Sunday's promised dry.... for now. The pitch will be in great nick as usual too. It should hopefully make for a good game. We'll need to be firing from the start, as if Limerick get a bit of a lead early on they could pull away. If it's a right contest, we have every chance of finishing strongly.

WanPintWin (Galway) - Posts: 938 - 25/11/2020 22:47:51    2315473

Link

Replying To WanPintWin:  "Agree. It's difficult to throw him in at this stage. I believe he was due to be in 26 for the Wexford game, but was ruled out as a Covid contact.
I think he's a good prospect and was also very good at U21 for Galway in what was otherwise a pretty poor team.
Lads with pace and power who can finish aren't plentiful and are always good options to have on the bench. I think he'd offer more than Niland for example as an impact player."
What are you talking about? You say 'otherwise a poor U21 team' this is the same team which had Fintan Burke, Loftus, B Concannon, Eanna Murphy, Niland, Sean Bleahane, Darren Morrissey to mention a few.
Obviously you have some connection to Kevin Cooney don't get me wrong he is a good lad but your doing him no favours here.

fireball88 (Galway) - Posts: 79 - 26/11/2020 10:13:45    2315533

Link