Galway Forum

Galway Football Support (Or Lack Thereof)

(Oldest Posts First)

I know that most of the people reading this will be regular supporters, so perhaps it's not asking the right audience. However, it's clear to everyone that there's a very poor support level for our football team currently. I say this ironically before heading up to see our hurlers tomorrow.
In the past 10 years this could have easily been put down to the lack of competitiveness of the team.
This current team have made serious progress however and have put in a huge amount of work to get to a first semi final in 17 years. This is on top of having reached the league final also.
It's clear we have lot of improvement still to make, but the attendances for both the Monaghan game and especially the All-Ireland semi were almost embarrassing.
Damien Comer was interviewed on a GAA podcast during the week and mentioned thathe was very disappointed by the lack of numbers and noise from the Galway fans in both games. He tried not to be too harsh about it, but it was clear that it was something which frustrated him. Teams feed off the atmosphere generated by their supporters. The effect of the Mayo supporters on their team during games in recent years cannot be underestimated. It must be incredibly motivating for a player.
After such a long-winded introduction, my question is why the level of support is so poor in this county.

WanPintWin (Galway) - Posts: 882 - 18/08/2018 23:08:30    2134318

Link

A few reasons:
So many matches to go to between hurling and football
Hurlers are champions right now and rightfully have the bigger support, it was the opposite in 2000 and 2001
Odd inconsistencies in the footballers performances (last years Connacht final, Monaghan match)
Current national discourse regarding the state of football (hyperbole in my opinion)
Support has seen a massive increase since the 2016 game v Mayo
Decent crowds at the league matches this year
Most counties have only one reasonable team,
We are poxed to have two

Maroonedinlongford (Galway) - Posts: 242 - 19/08/2018 10:15:07    2134347

Link

So Galway have smallish support. Well in the city there is Soccer, Rugby and GAA. All competing for attention. It is not easy. Maybe if Galway had not such a poor second half more fans would come out.

galwayford (Galway) - Posts: 1930 - 19/08/2018 18:34:04    2134457

Link

This is a much needed debate. The simple answer unfortunately is that Galway supporters are fickle. We see this across codes. Prior to the last few years hurling attendances were low. I dont go to soccer matches but I note the attendance in Terryland last week was only about 500. When the team were in the Prem League I recall a crowd in the region of 5000 attending a game v Dundalk. Our fans only seem to get active when the teams are going well and despite the obvious improvement in the football team in recent years, the fans will only come out in big numbers when we reach a final.
It shouldn't be this way and we have enough activity in our football clubs to generate a solid following of the team. We have football clubs all over Connemara, 6 massive clubs around the city. M'Cullen, Barna, SKGAA, Micheals, James's, Oranmore and an absolutely Football crazy region in the North of the County. However when one considers the city clubs, the significant quantity of officers, players and participants from counties other than Galway, particularly Mayo it lessens the interest in the county team.
I also think this leads to an exodus of tickets from the county too. Its really puzzling how Limerick fans outnumbered us so much yesterday. How did all the tickets get to Limerick.
One more thing I'm questioning is the role of The Tribesmen Supporters Club. WHAT ARE THEY DOING. I think they're more inclined towards hurling, are a contrived association of friends of county board officers rather than a natural association of Loyal Galway Followers. They're great at the Keyboard but in terms of real slog to generate interest among lukewarm supporters, I'm not convinced by their level of activity. Again they seem to take off when we hit a final. How many people here I wonder pay the membership fee and join their activities.
I think theres scope there for a more fervant group to take on this role and really promote the enjoyment of following the team.

Connemaraman (Galway) - Posts: 88 - 20/08/2018 11:27:57    2134663

Link

I don't think it is confined to football,I was in Pearse Stadium last night and last year. I was disappointed with the crowds attending on both occassions. There is a issue with Galway fans and supporting teams. Even on Sunday the reception Limerick received was massive.

As for the homecoming on both occassions, the location of Pearse Stadium at half six is terrible. Contrast that with Limerick, train to the city, massive crowd at the station and bus tour through the streets with everybody walking out to the Gaelic grounds. Connacht rugby did something similar when they won the PRO 14. Last year in particular, I know of families who didn't go to Pearse Stadium because of the time and hadn't time to travel after work. I don't buy the Health and Safety, the Macnas parade has up to 100k on the streets in the dark!!!
The powers that be need to move home comings to suit families, win or lose. But the people of Galway need to get up and get out and support their teams.

GDL (Galway) - Posts: 438 - 21/08/2018 08:39:27    2135130

Link

There is a bit of a "bunker" mentality in the Galway county board in Pearse stadium. They seem to see enemies everywhere in the city.

galwayford (Galway) - Posts: 1930 - 21/08/2018 12:06:05    2135207

Link

Replying To GDL:  "I don't think it is confined to football,I was in Pearse Stadium last night and last year. I was disappointed with the crowds attending on both occassions. There is a issue with Galway fans and supporting teams. Even on Sunday the reception Limerick received was massive.

As for the homecoming on both occassions, the location of Pearse Stadium at half six is terrible. Contrast that with Limerick, train to the city, massive crowd at the station and bus tour through the streets with everybody walking out to the Gaelic grounds. Connacht rugby did something similar when they won the PRO 14. Last year in particular, I know of families who didn't go to Pearse Stadium because of the time and hadn't time to travel after work. I don't buy the Health and Safety, the Macnas parade has up to 100k on the streets in the dark!!!
The powers that be need to move home comings to suit families, win or lose. But the people of Galway need to get up and get out and support their teams."
I agree GDL, I think it will be interesting to see if the number of Hurling Season Ticket Holders hold up after the defeat last Sunday. I have a feeling there might be a drop in the demand for same.

Connemaraman (Galway) - Posts: 88 - 21/08/2018 12:42:30    2135228

Link