Galway Forum

Galway Vs Offaly

(Oldest Posts First)

Thought I would start this up, not going to into much detail for this match; but I think Galway will be going out to make a huge statement. Going for a convincing enough Galway win here. But stranger things have happened.

oakleafersir (Derry) - Posts: 807 - 05/05/2018 22:20:29    2096860

Link

Offaly should come to play attacking hurling as they were well bet by Galway last year and when they abandoned the defences set up against Dublin in the league they played well.

I expect Johnny Glynn to have a very good championship for Galway, his willingness to base himself in Galway is a real statement of intent. Connor Whelan will put the head down and hit the back of the net a good few times in the championship also dahie Burke will be solid as a rock and finally JC can't wait to see him on fire again.

What players do my fellow contributor feel will have a major impact for Galway hurlers this Year?

heartbroken (Galway) - Posts: 366 - 06/05/2018 11:36:41    2096882

Link

Galway should win but its sport ,its hurling and its Offaly against the All Ireland Champs in their home ground so anything is possible.
I think Galway will win but only after getting a tough time of it for 50 minutes or so.

Barnowl94 (Galway) - Posts: 3150 - 09/05/2018 16:36:09    2097620

Link

If Galway don't show up for this one then it might be time to start getting a bit concerned..

Townee2018 (Galway) - Posts: 216 - 09/05/2018 17:26:03    2097630

Link

Replying To Barnowl94:  "Galway should win but its sport ,its hurling and its Offaly against the All Ireland Champs in their home ground so anything is possible.
I think Galway will win but only after getting a tough time of it for 50 minutes or so."
I was at the game in Portlaoise last year and unless Offaly perform the biggest miracle turn around in GAA history this game will be well over long before 50 minutes whether its played in Tullamore or on the moon.

Fact they have changed from the 8 defender dual sweeper system means it will probably be more like 4-18 than 33 points this time.

I'd be very worried about the trip to Wexford Park mind.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 326 - 11/05/2018 13:57:57    2098803

Link

Was at the game earlier and it was a solid performance, especially in the 2nd half. Offaly had a decent enough start but were no great shakes really. Concannon started well but faded a bit in the 2nd half, whereas the likes of David Burke and GMac were quiet in the 1st but really picked it up in the 2nd. Conor Whelan is something else. Feels like he's involved in every single attack. Wasn't getting his hand on much ball in the 1st half and scuffing a lot of things really, but still a nightmare for defenders. Turned it on then in the 2nd half and I think he got 1-2. Set up 2 goals as well.

Offaly keeper Cahill deserves huge credit. His championship debut today and he pulled off 4 great saves if not more. Saved Canning's penalty brilliantly which could have put us 7 up, but Offaly went up and got a goal of their own to bring it to a 1 point game. That really was what kept Offaly in the game at all to be honest. Canning had another one that looked buried in the corner in the 2nd half but Cahill somehow got to it. He let 5 in but none his fault and he's already looking like a great prospect for Offaly.

Some improvements needed from Galway but we can be happy enough with today's performance. Certainly a different team out there to the one that stumbled through the league.

Townee2018 (Galway) - Posts: 216 - 13/05/2018 00:45:07    2099906

Link

Replying To Townee2018:  "Was at the game earlier and it was a solid performance, especially in the 2nd half. Offaly had a decent enough start but were no great shakes really. Concannon started well but faded a bit in the 2nd half, whereas the likes of David Burke and GMac were quiet in the 1st but really picked it up in the 2nd. Conor Whelan is something else. Feels like he's involved in every single attack. Wasn't getting his hand on much ball in the 1st half and scuffing a lot of things really, but still a nightmare for defenders. Turned it on then in the 2nd half and I think he got 1-2. Set up 2 goals as well.

Offaly keeper Cahill deserves huge credit. His championship debut today and he pulled off 4 great saves if not more. Saved Canning's penalty brilliantly which could have put us 7 up, but Offaly went up and got a goal of their own to bring it to a 1 point game. That really was what kept Offaly in the game at all to be honest. Canning had another one that looked buried in the corner in the 2nd half but Cahill somehow got to it. He let 5 in but none his fault and he's already looking like a great prospect for Offaly.

Some improvements needed from Galway but we can be happy enough with today's performance. Certainly a different team out there to the one that stumbled through the league."
How was Flynn for the remaining minutes he came on. Heard his goal was something specail. Will have to wait to see the highlights tonight.

oakleafersir (Derry) - Posts: 807 - 13/05/2018 11:37:19    2099948

Link

Replying To oakleafersir:  "How was Flynn for the remaining minutes he came on. Heard his goal was something specail. Will have to wait to see the highlights tonight."
Flynn looked lively and took his goal well, I wouldn't say it was anything special though.

Barnowl94 (Galway) - Posts: 3150 - 13/05/2018 19:25:55    2100121

Link

Whelan was unfortunate in that he was being marked by their best defender by a mile, much the same as against Waterford in the AI. He still had a great game. Great saves by their keeper. the one thing that stood out for me when both teams came onto the pitch was the difference in size, it looked like seniors against U21's.

Galwayspur (Offaly) - Posts: 182 - 14/05/2018 10:10:13    2100389

Link

Replying To kazoochka:  "I was at the game in Portlaoise last year and unless Offaly perform the biggest miracle turn around in GAA history this game will be well over long before 50 minutes whether its played in Tullamore or on the moon.

Fact they have changed from the 8 defender dual sweeper system means it will probably be more like 4-18 than 33 points this time.

I'd be very worried about the trip to Wexford Park mind."
You weren't a million miles out Kazoochka, but yeah great to see the boys scoring goals for fun on Saturday evening, and they could easily had another three or four. Not a bad start at all for us, and with no disrespect to Offaly it was probably the perfect game for us to start off the championship, as we won whilst probably only playing in third gear. However the big match for us now is Sunday week, win that and we should in all fairness be in a Leinster final. Kilkenny pushed their luck yesterday, and conceding three goals to Dublin should definitely give us the impetus to go for goals against this Kilkenny defence, it's certainly going to be an interesting few weeks?

gilly0512 (Galway) - Posts: 1176 - 14/05/2018 10:35:55    2100405

Link