Westmeath Forum

Westmeath J.F.C. 2021

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Thechick is some man for taking the bait

Left Full (Westmeath) - Posts: 191 - 29/01/2021 15:31:01    2329562

Link

Some man for taking the bait but tends to ignore crucial aspects of any debate, ie, facts. He wrote some nonsense about Darren Magee playing with Athlone and not Loman's despite Magee being married to an Athlone native and living in Athlone. He'll be back later to argue some irrelevance about his beloved Loman's. Doubt he even played for them ever.

Claretandblue (Westmeath) - Posts: 188 - 29/01/2021 16:15:02    2329576

Link

Replying To Left Full:  "Thechick is some man for taking the bait"
Well to me it looks like he's only defending his club (i'm guessing he's Lomans) from the same 4-5 individuals making the same spurious allegations about his club, allegations that they simply can't/won't/don't back up. Lomans seem to be the only club that gets slated on this platform, but i guess thats what success will lead to, begrudgery.

So fair play to you Chick, keep her lit, i can tell you my club have no problems with ye and I actually hope ye win the JFC now :-)

KooCullen (Westmeath) - Posts: 47 - 29/01/2021 16:49:14    2329579

Link

I think the Westmeath JFC is still a very healthy competition, we've recently produced 2 Leinster champions. The issue is the decline of several traditional Junior clubs like Loughnavalley etc, I think if these clubs can persevere for another 3-4 years that they will pull through, i know its not easy though. However, with the introduction of full championship status for the new Junior 2 competition, most of these clubs now have a fighting chance, the first chance in many a year, of winning championship silverware and promotion to Junior 1 next year.

The JFC champions in 2014 were Moate (Leinster champions), 2015 was Milltown, 2016 was CFCW, 2017 was Multyfarnham (Leinster champions), 2018 was Ballynacargy, in 2019 it was St. Pauls and it was Tubberclair in 2020. Not too bad.

KooCullen (Westmeath) - Posts: 47 - 29/01/2021 17:23:17    2329585

Link

Replying To KooCullen:  "I think the Westmeath JFC is still a very healthy competition, we've recently produced 2 Leinster champions. The issue is the decline of several traditional Junior clubs like Loughnavalley etc, I think if these clubs can persevere for another 3-4 years that they will pull through, i know its not easy though. However, with the introduction of full championship status for the new Junior 2 competition, most of these clubs now have a fighting chance, the first chance in many a year, of winning championship silverware and promotion to Junior 1 next year.

The JFC champions in 2014 were Moate (Leinster champions), 2015 was Milltown, 2016 was CFCW, 2017 was Multyfarnham (Leinster champions), 2018 was Ballynacargy, in 2019 it was St. Pauls and it was Tubberclair in 2020. Not too bad."
The issue is the decline of clubs like Loughnavalley? When did they last produce a team that was remotely competitive. Amalgamating with Ballinagore or Malachy's is the only solution and to suggest anything else is crazy.

Claretandblue (Westmeath) - Posts: 188 - 29/01/2021 17:53:55    2329592

Link

Replying To KooCullen:  "I think the Westmeath JFC is still a very healthy competition, we've recently produced 2 Leinster champions. The issue is the decline of several traditional Junior clubs like Loughnavalley etc, I think if these clubs can persevere for another 3-4 years that they will pull through, i know its not easy though. However, with the introduction of full championship status for the new Junior 2 competition, most of these clubs now have a fighting chance, the first chance in many a year, of winning championship silverware and promotion to Junior 1 next year.

The JFC champions in 2014 were Moate (Leinster champions), 2015 was Milltown, 2016 was CFCW, 2017 was Multyfarnham (Leinster champions), 2018 was Ballynacargy, in 2019 it was St. Pauls and it was Tubberclair in 2020. Not too bad."
Paul's will be delighted to hear that :)
2018 was Kilbeggan, and 2019 Bal

jamsie (Westmeath) - Posts: 278 - 29/01/2021 18:40:09    2329598

Link

Replying To jamsie:  "Paul's will be delighted to hear that :)
2018 was Kilbeggan, and 2019 Bal"
Thanks Jamsie, i think this auld covid lockdown is getting to me.

KooCullen (Westmeath) - Posts: 47 - 29/01/2021 19:28:52    2329608

Link

Replying To Claretandblue:  "The issue is the decline of clubs like Loughnavalley? When did they last produce a team that was remotely competitive. Amalgamating with Ballinagore or Malachy's is the only solution and to suggest anything else is crazy."
In the '80's & early '90's many felt Multy should have joined Bun, the tables turned down through the years and now many feel Bun 'should' have joined Multy when they had the opportunity a few years back, I'd be one of those people.

They were always a great club, still are, but I fear for them in 5-10 years time, mainly because of demographics. Buns decision at the time was made by senior club officials, officials who had given most of their lives to the club. I can totally understand where they were coming from though, they'd built that club from having a pitch on the side of a hill, to their current set up, which is an absolute credit to them. Men of that particular generation find talk of amalgamations very difficult.

It's a tricky one.

KooCullen (Westmeath) - Posts: 47 - 29/01/2021 21:46:05    2329632

Link

Replying To KooCullen:  "In the '80's & early '90's many felt Multy should have joined Bun, the tables turned down through the years and now many feel Bun 'should' have joined Multy when they had the opportunity a few years back, I'd be one of those people.

They were always a great club, still are, but I fear for them in 5-10 years time, mainly because of demographics. Buns decision at the time was made by senior club officials, officials who had given most of their lives to the club. I can totally understand where they were coming from though, they'd built that club from having a pitch on the side of a hill, to their current set up, which is an absolute credit to them. Men of that particular generation find talk of amalgamations very difficult.

It's a tricky one."
There seems to be little appetite for it on either side when it comes to the crunch. Up until recently the ladies were combined .... Clann Gaels with blue and maroon jerseys but now Multy have set up their own underage ladies. None of this suggests relations are getting any more harmonious

Jack_Sparrow (Westmeath) - Posts: 893 - 30/01/2021 11:00:46    2329666

Link

Replying To Jack_Sparrow:  "There seems to be little appetite for it on either side when it comes to the crunch. Up until recently the ladies were combined .... Clann Gaels with blue and maroon jerseys but now Multy have set up their own underage ladies. None of this suggests relations are getting any more harmonious"
Fair point, neighbouring clubs tend to be each others biggest rivals. I think some will have to put their differences aside sometime soon. Im old enough to remember when Streete had a Junior team years ago, im guessing they finished up in early '90's.

KooCullen (Westmeath) - Posts: 47 - 30/01/2021 16:31:54    2329732

Link

Replying To KooCullen:  "Fair point, neighbouring clubs tend to be each others biggest rivals. I think some will have to put their differences aside sometime soon. Im old enough to remember when Streete had a Junior team years ago, im guessing they finished up in early '90's."
Yes I'm no spring chicken either. in my time Streete and Moyvore have fallen by the wayside as far as I can remember

Jack_Sparrow (Westmeath) - Posts: 893 - 30/01/2021 18:13:33    2329745

Link

I guess amalgamations only generally work when they are mutually beneficial. Only natural for clubs to yearn to go alone and but also need to be realistic re numbers.

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 740 - 30/01/2021 18:48:41    2329753

Link

Unfortunately the demise of those clubs was down to demographics, not a big enough population to sustain them.

Im genuinely not interested in politics, but for decades now the County Councils throughout Ireland have been encouraging further urbanisation of towns and some villages, but discouraging people from building on one off-sites in the countryside, making it as difficult as they can for applicants, with their local-need nonsense etc.

Numbers are the big problem for so many Junior clubs now, we cant be just blaming Senior clubs for it. I cant see what the County Board can do about it either.

KooCullen (Westmeath) - Posts: 47 - 30/01/2021 20:35:53    2329772

Link

Replying To KooCullen:  "Unfortunately the demise of those clubs was down to demographics, not a big enough population to sustain them.

Im genuinely not interested in politics, but for decades now the County Councils throughout Ireland have been encouraging further urbanisation of towns and some villages, but discouraging people from building on one off-sites in the countryside, making it as difficult as they can for applicants, with their local-need nonsense etc.

Numbers are the big problem for so many Junior clubs now, we cant be just blaming Senior clubs for it. I cant see what the County Board can do about it either."
We read now that housing costs are driving people to live in rural areas and with working from home now possible for a significant number, they should not feel disadvantaged. Coole and Rathowen also had clubs but were unable to sustain themselves because of their populations and emigration. As for Bun and their refusal to consider any alliance with their neighbours, they are such an entity where club and pub are indivisible - one would not survive without the other. That is why they see amalgamation as Armageddon. Their top brass are also blinded by their own bitterness. I am thinking of a comment by a former chair of that club which I will not repeat here.

dbpcmi (Westmeath) - Posts: 44 - 31/01/2021 11:39:46    2329806

Link

I think 2021 will be one of Bun's most important seasons in years, they have to steady the ship after the past few seasons, or they'll sink.

They should have the makings of a decent Junior side, but I fear they'll be up against it if they meet the the Downs or Garrycastle or Lomans etc. at knockout stages.

Huge year for Bunbrosna.

KooCullen (Westmeath) - Posts: 47 - 31/01/2021 14:03:23    2329823

Link

Replying To KooCullen:  "I think 2021 will be one of Bun's most important seasons in years, they have to steady the ship after the past few seasons, or they'll sink.

They should have the makings of a decent Junior side, but I fear they'll be up against it if they meet the the Downs or Garrycastle or Lomans etc. at knockout stages.

Huge year for Bunbrosna."
It's mad the amount of people in the county that can't see beyond lomans Garrycastle Athlone and the downs for the junior championship

westmeathgaa11 (Westmeath) - Posts: 96 - 31/01/2021 17:10:28    2329853

Link

Replying To westmeathgaa11:  "It's mad the amount of people in the county that can't see beyond lomans Garrycastle Athlone and the downs for the junior championship"
Sure there better than any of the junior clubs. Proof of that is that 3 of those teams making jfc semis in 2020. But the main thing here is that there still of junior quality the second teams.
It's hard to give any "junior" clubs a shout with the majority of them ageing teams & without a doubt aren't better Quality teams than those teams you mentioned !. Only team that might have an edge on downs Lomans etc is bunbrosna in my eyes .
There is a chance of upset while playing senior second teams with junior club might be hungrier to win & some of the junior players for the senior clubs may go on to play senior.
Senior clubs junior team differs from year to year but with theses senior clubs having so many numbers in recent years I can't see them changing too much from 2020.

Westmeath213 (Westmeath) - Posts: 186 - 31/01/2021 18:44:10    2329877

Link

Replying To westmeathgaa11:  "It's mad the amount of people in the county that can't see beyond lomans Garrycastle Athlone and the downs for the junior championship"
Whoever wins the outstanding 2020 Junior 2 championship final, between Coralstown/Kinnegad and Killucan, will be in to the Junior 1 championship. These are 2 areas reaping the reward of recent urbanisation and i think are clubs for the future, whoever wins will come into J1 under the radar, so a possible dark horse there.

I know last year was a strange year, but based on last year's J.F.C. you'd have a hard job convincing me that the winner will come from Ballycomoyle, CFWC, St. Joe's, Ballinagore or St. Pauls.

KooCullen (Westmeath) - Posts: 47 - 31/01/2021 18:53:42    2329883

Link

Replying To KooCullen:  "Whoever wins the outstanding 2020 Junior 2 championship final, between Coralstown/Kinnegad and Killucan, will be in to the Junior 1 championship. These are 2 areas reaping the reward of recent urbanisation and i think are clubs for the future, whoever wins will come into J1 under the radar, so a possible dark horse there.

I know last year was a strange year, but based on last year's J.F.C. you'd have a hard job convincing me that the winner will come from Ballycomoyle, CFWC, St. Joe's, Ballinagore or St. Pauls."
Ah I don't know. I was at killucan vs kinnegad game earlier in the junior 2 championship & I have to say the quality of that game was far off the quality of the junior 1 championship.

Westmeath213 (Westmeath) - Posts: 186 - 31/01/2021 20:40:53    2329902

Link

The likelihood of another Covid disrupted season which seems certain now won't help the sole junior clubs as the senior clubs will have a large cohort of young players in their 20s who won't be away on J1 Visas or travelling for a year after college. Rural clubs like Ballinagore and Bunbrosna won't have the same benefit numbers wise.

Claretandblue (Westmeath) - Posts: 188 - 31/01/2021 21:19:46    2329911

Link