Limerick Forum

Official Limerick Senior Hurling 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Cmonlimerick:  "Whats up with the camera work lads? Tried RTE and Sky..both are same so Croke Park must be doing it themselves...Its either from the top of the stand or too close to the players. Or flicking between the two."
Suddenly I dont care anymore but very frustrating viewing in the first quarter. Roll on Dec 13th!

Cmonlimerick (Limerick) - Posts: 15 - 29/11/2020 17:56:38    2316552

Link

Don't buy into the idea that Limerick were not good. Scored 20pts from play and limited a good Galway to keeping in touch with sidelines and frees. Nickie Quaid didn't have to stretch himself all game. Never looked like losing really. My only concern is the amount of frees we are giving away. We seem to be tethering on the edge every time we tackle.

Goldenoldie (Limerick) - Posts: 74 - 29/11/2020 18:58:06    2316594

Link

Anyone before this would have taken that result. We definitely were the better team but really left Galway with a shout to win which was nerve wrecking. My biggest worry is Kiely freshened up the team a bit but we still lacked energy. Especially considering we went in the front door.
Waterford will have bucket loads of that the next day. Is it the Massive effort over the last 3 years catching up on us?We look a bit like Galway ahead of 2018 final. Have the know how to get over the line which of course is badly needed but is the energy there for a team as quick as lightening like Waterford.
Overall Hegarty and Morrissey were excellent up front. Kyle Hayes is an absolute machine. I've been critical of Byrnes and the free taking but when Galway got back level and he sent that monster of a free over to go ahead again that was absolutely massive. Casey was head and shoulders above the other subs. A big mistake was made by Galway leaving Nash free. They should have put more pressure on the backline instead of having a sweeper at the back

Mads (Limerick) - Posts: 220 - 29/11/2020 18:59:53    2316597

Link

I've thought for a lot of matches this year that the camera work was terrible..who cares now,another final to look forward to..there is room for plenty improvement..I'm not being arrogant but if limerick can produce a display like the tipp match they will beat Waterford..a great 2 weeks to look forward to and the winter is already shorter..thanks to all involved.,

CTGAA10 (Limerick) - Posts: 1153 - 29/11/2020 19:54:11    2316632

Link

Replying To Goldenoldie:  "Don't buy into the idea that Limerick were not good. Scored 20pts from play and limited a good Galway to keeping in touch with sidelines and frees. Nickie Quaid didn't have to stretch himself all game. Never looked like losing really. My only concern is the amount of frees we are giving away. We seem to be tethering on the edge every time we tackle."
Galway were terrible. Its a great result for Limerick but they 'tied' up badly in homeward stretch. So much anxiety,so many bad decisions and shots. I hate singling out men but Reidy had zero composure. His shot for goal was bad very bad but his wide from the sideline was shocking and he missed 4 in total.. not on at this level.The Na Piarsaigh lads showed steel especially Casey and Breen when they came on. And O Donoghue drove on aswell.As a man once said 'Limerick can't win a hurling All Ireland without about a third of the team being from the City ' . He right. And Byrnes's free was outstanding. That was the winning of the game ,pushing them 1 ahead. That performance will repeated in the final will see Waterford Bridge the gap to 59. And I'm sorry but its takes too much to get to a final and Limerick have lost so many...they need to seize this final by the throat and throttle it...leaving teams in matches when they should be stone dead is awful for the people of Limerick..and themselves

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1366 - 29/11/2020 20:02:28    2316639

Link

Replying To Mads:  "Anyone before this would have taken that result. We definitely were the better team but really left Galway with a shout to win which was nerve wrecking. My biggest worry is Kiely freshened up the team a bit but we still lacked energy. Especially considering we went in the front door.
Waterford will have bucket loads of that the next day. Is it the Massive effort over the last 3 years catching up on us?We look a bit like Galway ahead of 2018 final. Have the know how to get over the line which of course is badly needed but is the energy there for a team as quick as lightening like Waterford.
Overall Hegarty and Morrissey were excellent up front. Kyle Hayes is an absolute machine. I've been critical of Byrnes and the free taking but when Galway got back level and he sent that monster of a free over to go ahead again that was absolutely massive. Casey was head and shoulders above the other subs. A big mistake was made by Galway leaving Nash free. They should have put more pressure on the backline instead of having a sweeper at the back"
Yeah well said. Id agree with your sentiments. To be honest Gillane is an 80% free taker and I'd rather see Byrnes take the 65s. Gillane did fine ,got a good point from play but missed a few bad frees ,as did Joe Canning. Byrnes was colossal. And Hayes is on a different planet but occasionally he doesn't have to beat every man...im thinking of the free man inside him near the end. He should have take the easy option. But he's a great kid..fantastic

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1366 - 29/11/2020 20:05:57    2316641

Link

I'm in a quagmire of contradictions after the game. We've made in back to the Big Show which is an immense achievement against a Galway team that I've consistently regarded as our primary challengers and are left with a game to play against a team that we've already beaten to win it all. As the adrenaline of the match is receding, I'm starting to reflect on how amazing a scenario that this is for Limerick.

But I'm also acutely conscious that this performance was "spotty". It certainly wasn't the dominant demonstration of shock and awe that I thought was possible before the game and I'm left with the quandry as to whether that's because of the significant qualities of Galway or the errors and mistakes made by Limerick or maybe it's a combination of the two?

The body language of Kiely after the match was one of substantial relief as opposed to either joy or satisfaction. Is this because expectations for the Limerick team are stratospheric and just winning doesn't meet expectations anymore? I'll take a one point win from a last minute own goal against Waterford in the final right now. All that matters is winning and damn the performance statement. Albeit getting a win without a performance is a very unlikely equation

Certainly, we had some fabulous performances out there today. Our goalie and full back line can all be very satisfied with their days work. I though Byrnes whose bounced back to have a fantastic championship and Hayes were both magnificent. Our half forward line wrecked the much vaunted Galway half back line and we won the battle in the middle of the field.

However, our full forward line struggled to a much greater extent than expected. Graeme Mulcahy must have had his worst performance in a Limerick jersey yesterday and I thought was lucky to start the second half. He must be under savage pressure from Casey for the starting spot in the final. Aaron also had a less than convincing display including with his free taking which continues to be erratic under pressure. I think that Flanagan was the best of the full forward line. Both Hegarty and Gillane need to play with more discipline for obvious reasons.

The highpoint for me was the way that our middle order dismantled to the Galway puck out. The biggest negative was the amount of really poor decisions on the ball and downright horrible shooting taken by our forwards which was perpetuated by Reidy after he came on but not by Casey nor Breen.

The foundation for this victory was laid down by our half forward line but I expect that Waterford will try to mitigate that line similar to what happened in the Munster Final so we'll need to see a much bigger contribution from the full forward line. My notion is that Gillane could be the key and I'd like to see him play at the edge of the square and challenge the Waterford full back line because there are vulnerabilities there. There's no need to target space on his left. Just bomb it down on top of him. Also. I'm really hoping that Dempsey is fit to come off the bench in the final quarter and I'd really like to see both Adrian Breen and Pat Ryan get more game time in the final quarter.

Let's get out the flags across the county and get behind the boys to win what will go down as one of the most memorable championships in living memory. Roll on the 9th.

Dealer (Limerick) - Posts: 745 - 29/11/2020 21:13:05    2316672

Link

Happy out, slow nervous start but partly down to the savage workrate of Galway opening 15 mins forcing a few wides a bit like the semi last year but Tom morrisey stood up for me and kept us in touch it calmed the nerves.
Limerick were better overall, Graham mul just didn't get any ball that suited nor breaking ball so it was quiet by his standards, will be rectified on the 13th I'm sure.
Don't want to nit pick but I didn't feel reidy was up to the pace I felt breen looked a brighter prospect.
Great grit and determination to get over the line. Delighted for all the squad and support staff and of course for us fans , Liam Mac would be a nice Xmas present for limerick.

Can't wait for the 13th.. Should be a cracker with Waterford going so well
Had to admire the skills shown by Joe Canning yet again hope he recovers soon from his injury.
Great time to be a limerick supporter enjoying it while I can, luimneach Abu.

jimbob50 (Limerick) - Posts: 83 - 29/11/2020 21:26:27    2316675

Link

The free Byrnes took was brill because all the galway sideline were roaring in his ear,including Shane o neill..can I also say a huge congrats to Dan and Barry on standing up on their biggest day yet..as I've said plenty room for improvement..

CTGAA10 (Limerick) - Posts: 1153 - 29/11/2020 21:33:24    2316679

Link

is it just me but david reidy does not seem to take his chances , missed four chances today when he came on including a big goal chance. also missed a big goal chance in final minutes of last years semi final v killkenny. having said that john kiely seems to rate him and thats good enough for me

longtermfan (Limerick) - Posts: 111 - 29/11/2020 22:38:49    2316708

Link

Not perfect by any means but still scored 27 points and are in an AI final. In a way, probably better way to do it even if it didnt feel like it at the time. guys will be 100% zoned in during training cause a few know they didnt play perfectly and there is pressure from the bench. Lets get behind them now, its been a great 3 years with no sign of it stopping soon I hope.

ImokillyMan (Cork) - Posts: 218 - 30/11/2020 09:09:48    2316761

Link

Replying To Dealer:  "I'm in a quagmire of contradictions after the game. We've made in back to the Big Show which is an immense achievement against a Galway team that I've consistently regarded as our primary challengers and are left with a game to play against a team that we've already beaten to win it all. As the adrenaline of the match is receding, I'm starting to reflect on how amazing a scenario that this is for Limerick.

But I'm also acutely conscious that this performance was "spotty". It certainly wasn't the dominant demonstration of shock and awe that I thought was possible before the game and I'm left with the quandry as to whether that's because of the significant qualities of Galway or the errors and mistakes made by Limerick or maybe it's a combination of the two?

The body language of Kiely after the match was one of substantial relief as opposed to either joy or satisfaction. Is this because expectations for the Limerick team are stratospheric and just winning doesn't meet expectations anymore? I'll take a one point win from a last minute own goal against Waterford in the final right now. All that matters is winning and damn the performance statement. Albeit getting a win without a performance is a very unlikely equation

Certainly, we had some fabulous performances out there today. Our goalie and full back line can all be very satisfied with their days work. I though Byrnes whose bounced back to have a fantastic championship and Hayes were both magnificent. Our half forward line wrecked the much vaunted Galway half back line and we won the battle in the middle of the field.

However, our full forward line struggled to a much greater extent than expected. Graeme Mulcahy must have had his worst performance in a Limerick jersey yesterday and I thought was lucky to start the second half. He must be under savage pressure from Casey for the starting spot in the final. Aaron also had a less than convincing display including with his free taking which continues to be erratic under pressure. I think that Flanagan was the best of the full forward line. Both Hegarty and Gillane need to play with more discipline for obvious reasons.

The highpoint for me was the way that our middle order dismantled to the Galway puck out. The biggest negative was the amount of really poor decisions on the ball and downright horrible shooting taken by our forwards which was perpetuated by Reidy after he came on but not by Casey nor Breen.

The foundation for this victory was laid down by our half forward line but I expect that Waterford will try to mitigate that line similar to what happened in the Munster Final so we'll need to see a much bigger contribution from the full forward line. My notion is that Gillane could be the key and I'd like to see him play at the edge of the square and challenge the Waterford full back line because there are vulnerabilities there. There's no need to target space on his left. Just bomb it down on top of him. Also. I'm really hoping that Dempsey is fit to come off the bench in the final quarter and I'd really like to see both Adrian Breen and Pat Ryan get more game time in the final quarter.

Let's get out the flags across the county and get behind the boys to win what will go down as one of the most memorable championships in living memory. Roll on the 9th."
Obviously hoping that Aaron will be OK. He's a very important player for Limerick and it's very worrying that he has has to spend the night in hospital.

Dealer (Limerick) - Posts: 745 - 30/11/2020 10:09:58    2316779

Link

Hoping Aaron will be ok ..yes he would be a huge loss but his health is a lot more important..I know it's possibly only an overnight in hospital but how does this affect him as regards isolation?i really don't know because I've heard so many different versions of what people are supposed to do..

CTGAA10 (Limerick) - Posts: 1153 - 30/11/2020 10:32:55    2316797

Link

Hopefully Aaron's hospital visit is just precautionary and he's back during the week.
Cat among the pigeons here.
Looking at Kyle Hayes and his sheer energy yesterday, he was like a caged animal being released the speed and power was terrifying. I would like to see him back at half forward and lynch midfield.
That's where he would do most damage. Plus another Puck out option.
What if English went back to left corner back and Nash out to wing back again, really Nash was playing more half back yesterday as the spare man and done very well.
Is ritchie English fully fit and ready? I don't know but he has been on the bench for weeks.
A fit English, morrisey and finn looks solid to me., Dan seems more confident at FB every game, casey will have to work hard to get that spot back next year, what a great thing to be able to say.
Just wondering what people think.

jimbob50 (Limerick) - Posts: 83 - 30/11/2020 11:30:08    2316837

Link

Replying To jimbob50:  "Hopefully Aaron's hospital visit is just precautionary and he's back during the week.
Looking at Kyle Hayes and his sheer energy yesterday, he was like a caged animal being released the speed and power was terrifying. I would like to see him back at half forward and lynch midfield.
What if English went back to left corner back and Nash out to wing back again, really Nash was playing more half back yesterday as the spare man and done very well.
Is ritchie English fully fit and ready? I don't know but he has been on the bench for weeks.
A fit English, morrisey and finn looks solid to me., Dan seems more confident at FB every game, casey will have to work hard to get that spot back next year, what a great thing to be able to say.
Just wondering what people think."
Why would you change Kyle Hayes, he was brilliant at wing back against Waterford and was arguably our best player again yesterday. He looks nailed on there for the time being imo, our half forward line did just fine without him.

Same with Barry Nash, he has been neat and tidy and distributes well from corner back, obviously not his favoured position but why change. It would be a monumental ask for Ritchie English to start in the corner in an all Ireland final.

Mulcahys starting position could be in doubt which is harsh as this was his first really quiet game, Casey looks electric when he comes on and always looks so composed.

Hopefully Gillane is ok for two weeks time.

Also glad to hear Joe Canning is home and ok, what a legend he is.

Shane O'Neill also doing Limerick proud in the way he conducts himself. I was happy he didn't bring on Niland earlier however, he looked very lively.

Congrats to all involved yesterday. It was a bit of a dogfight but we deserved the win.

Fitzy01 (Limerick) - Posts: 190 - 30/11/2020 12:57:42    2316896

Link

Well done Limerick on grinding out another win yesterday. Should have been out of sight entering the home straight and left Galway in the game. Backs were very solid throughout although Galway did not commit enough players in attack leaving a extra defender covering the space in front of Gillane. While this nullified the effect of Gillane and Mulcahy it did mean that Galway offered no goal threat at the other end of the field. Some poor decision in the second half going for goals left Galway hanging on in the last quarter. I think John Kiely will be happy though. Plenty of room for improvement for the final. We can't let Waterford get a run like they did in the second half against KK. It's difficult to assess were this KK is at. Without TJ Reid they offered very little and I think the media had them built up based on the KK of of old. Although they beat Limk last year Tipp beat them easily in the final. Dublin only for a poor first half this year could and beaten them and Galway let a 5 point lead slip. Waterford when they get their tails up like in the second half can be hard to stop but I think there is a big performance to come from Limerick that will be enough to shade it.

journeyman (Limerick) - Posts: 42 - 30/11/2020 13:09:18    2316903

Link

Any update on Gillane today? he was kept in hospital last night for observation - has he been released with a clean bill of health ?

LimkABU (Limerick) - Posts: 62 - 30/11/2020 15:30:30    2316985

Link

Replying To jimbob50:  "Hopefully Aaron's hospital visit is just precautionary and he's back during the week.
Just wondering what people think."
Peter Casey will not have to work hard to get his place back next year as in all probability he will have his place back for
the final. He put in an increadible display when called upon yesterday. His impact was enormous. With regard to Richie
English, how could you expect Richie English to perform in All-Ireland final and not having played a game in almost twelve
months, get real.

fainleog (Limerick) - Posts: 558 - 30/11/2020 15:32:01    2316988

Link

Replying To Fitzy01:  "Why would you change Kyle Hayes, he was brilliant at wing back against Waterford and was arguably our best player again yesterday. He looks nailed on there for the time being imo, our half forward line did just fine without him.

Same with Barry Nash, he has been neat and tidy and distributes well from corner back, obviously not his favoured position but why change. It would be a monumental ask for Ritchie English to start in the corner in an all Ireland final.

Mulcahys starting position could be in doubt which is harsh as this was his first really quiet game, Casey looks electric when he comes on and always looks so composed.

Hopefully Gillane is ok for two weeks time.

Also glad to hear Joe Canning is home and ok, what a legend he is.

Shane O'Neill also doing Limerick proud in the way he conducts himself. I was happy he didn't bring on Niland earlier however, he looked very lively.

Congrats to all involved yesterday. It was a bit of a dogfight but we deserved the win."
Purely putting it out there for debate, you could have said why move Hayes back to half back when he is so lethal at half forward a few weeks ago and the answer would have been we were short of options at CB, now English is back (in theory anyway) can we make more use of Hayes?
I feel we haven't been as fluid passing up the middle as we were.

Lol nobody has to agree just good to have these dabates. I'm not knocking anyone.
I think it would be very harsh not to start mulcahy, he's had one quiet game in three years, he didn't get much ball in front of him in this game and yes Peter casey done well when he came on maybe that's the way to go half each..

I'm loving every minute of it, obviously I want limerick to win and continue winning for a few more years we have waited so long for success of the Holy grail but if the opposition was better on the day then I wouldn't begrudge Waterford a win. Like Mayo in the football.
Very grateful to the players for giving us something to cheer.

jimbob50 (Limerick) - Posts: 83 - 30/11/2020 15:43:46    2316997

Link

Replying To fainleog:  "Peter Casey will not have to work hard to get his place back next year as in all probability he will have his place back for
the final. He put in an increadible display when called upon yesterday. His impact was enormous. With regard to Richie
English, how could you expect Richie English to perform in All-Ireland final and not having played a game in almost twelve
months, get real."
There one catch PC caught above P Mannion yesterday and it truly memorable

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2705 - 30/11/2020 16:23:44    2317018

Link