Limerick Forum

Official Limerick Senior Hurling 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Great result,was the game we needed,Waterford thew everything at us,they were full of running and lots of skill and well able to win ball in the air and sting passes together at speed,Waterford are a serious outfit,won't be easy for them to raise their game next weekend though.

ONdeDITCH (Limerick) - Posts: 640 - 15/11/2020 19:59:19    2309575

Link

Well done to Limerick today, we beat a very good team today who I'd fancy to win next week against Tipp or Clare. Waterford work really really hard like all Cahills teams do. People on hear disappointed about not winning by 10 points plus have to realise it won't always work like that as the teams get better the further we go. We didn't play well today but when that happened in 2019 we lost those matches so today for me it was a sign of maturity to come through with a win. As for the semi-final we are back now where we want to be and I fully expect Limerick at their best as we go to make up for last years no show v KK.- the real championship is only starting next week when the good teams start clashing and that's when a fully focused Limerick will be seen.
Also well done to Cian and Aaron today as they both lost young uncles in the last few weeks- hurling is important to a lot of us but other thing like family and life puts it in its place. C'mon Limerick

updwell (Limerick) - Posts: 437 - 15/11/2020 20:01:19    2309576

Link

Delighted to win another Munster. As I previously posted Cahill is a serious manager and has finally brought Waterford back to where they were. He is very similar to Sheedy and streets ahead of anything Waterford had for the last few seasons. Straight talker with no bluster or bull s'''e who puts the team ahead of his own ego.
Remains to be seen how much today's effort will have taken out of them, with only 6 days to prepare for a winner-takes-all knockout. Tipp are in a similar boat, their game with Cork was a dogfight. Lots of sore bodies.
Kiely and co. will be happy with the win and will know full well that a lot of work needs to be done in the weeks ahead.
Whoever we play in the semi will be a gigantic tussle. That's the only game that matters for now.
6 teams remain tonight, any 1 of them will fully feel that they have a real chance of winning this championship.

hamstring (Limerick) - Posts: 314 - 15/11/2020 20:47:09    2309628

Link

Replying To updwell:  "Well done to Limerick today, we beat a very good team today who I'd fancy to win next week against Tipp or Clare. Waterford work really really hard like all Cahills teams do. People on hear disappointed about not winning by 10 points plus have to realise it won't always work like that as the teams get better the further we go. We didn't play well today but when that happened in 2019 we lost those matches so today for me it was a sign of maturity to come through with a win. As for the semi-final we are back now where we want to be and I fully expect Limerick at their best as we go to make up for last years no show v KK.- the real championship is only starting next week when the good teams start clashing and that's when a fully focused Limerick will be seen.
Also well done to Cian and Aaron today as they both lost young uncles in the last few weeks- hurling is important to a lot of us but other thing like family and life puts it in its place. C'mon Limerick"
Agree with most of what you're saying here. This was a dogfight on a reasonably soft field. The corner forward spots in the second-half appeared to be on very wet ground. Difficult for our pacey full forwards to turn quickly. So yes there was some wayward shooting. Today should be the end of the slow pitches

So I would consider this a great win considering we played a very well organised and tough Waterford. However, Waterford had to empty the tank when Limerick certainly have another gear.I do agree that we will have to up our game in two weeks time, but last year's loss to Kilkenny will no doubt have the boys well tuned in.

Seeking_silver (Limerick) - Posts: 294 - 15/11/2020 21:28:34    2309663

Link

Well done Limerick on winning back to back Munster finals and well done Cian Lynch on winning man of the match after burying his uncle during the week.

We have to admit we won that game not being at our best, there was alot poor pot-shots out the field and wides, there was some very sloppy passing with guys not finding their men, hand-passes getting intercepted, guys putting teammates under pressure with hospital passes and on 1 or 2 occasions balls over-hit out over the line that you can't blame the conditions for that. De burca was left lord it from centre back at stages and I thought Conor Prunty had Gillane quiet for most of the game but Gillane in fairness had a very good day on frees. But enough of negatives there are more positives the workrate of the team all over the pitch is 1 getting in the block's and hook's and not panicking when Waterford were starting to a foothold on the game. Quaid and the full back line were solid throughout the match and snuffed out 2 or 3 goal chances near the end, Quaid made a good save from Waterfords 21 yard free and Barry Nash gave a good account of himself in the corner. Kyle Hayes and Diarmuid Byrnes caught alot of ball and came out the field with it, Greame Mulcahy had a very good game got some fine scores and Peter Casey had a brilliant 1st half just had a quieter 2nd half. Gearoid Hegarty and Cian Lynch got some vital points when they were badly needed too. Seamus Flanagan again did well when introduced and is putting his hand up for a starting place.

A game like that will stand to Limerick it gives guys a chance to rectify mistakes because I think if we played Kilkenny or Galway today we could have being punished. We need to start scoring more goals too, goals won the Leinster final for Kilkenny Saturday evening. Also fair play to John Kiely for high lighting 10 of his panel weren't allowed attend today's game, each of the full panels should have being allowed attend it would have made no harm.

DUALSUPPORT (Limerick) - Posts: 791 - 15/11/2020 22:42:53    2309715

Link

My two pence on today as an outsider

- winning a game in that manner will do ye the power of good

- with this year's condensed nature the front door has never been as valuable so a very important win

- Cahill is a serious operator and has all the hallmarks of a further tipp manager

- after 1 or 2 of your lads sailing close to the wind against tipp red card wise nothing of the like today, tough physical game played the way it should be by both teams, entertaining watch

- Kiely 100% correct with his comments on extended panels should be allowed attend the games

- some performance from Cian Lynch given the week past, condolences to his family

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 2797 - 16/11/2020 01:34:42    2309755

Link

Congrats to all, ground out the win on a day when we didnt play brilliantly and things didnt go as well in lots of areas. Good to still win when not operating at top level. Think Kielys comment afterward summed it up - 'delighted with result' but didnt mentioned performance. Lots to work on, no complacency can sink in now etc.

Tipp v Galway and we play the winners (unless unlikely chance that both Tipp and Clare win which will mean a draw where there will be a 50/50 chance we meet Tipp anyway)

Tougher side of the draw for sure same as we got in Munster.

LimkABU (Limerick) - Posts: 62 - 16/11/2020 09:09:59    2309782

Link

Delighted that Tipp and Galway got drawn together. We most likely face the winners of that tie but at least one of them will be out at that stage. It will be very tough for Tipp to beat Cork, then Galway and then Limerick (I'd be hoping at least) so I'm hoping for a Tipp victory there although only time will tell.

Dealer (Limerick) - Posts: 745 - 16/11/2020 09:30:46    2309793

Link

Replying To Dealer:  "Delighted that Tipp and Galway got drawn together. We most likely face the winners of that tie but at least one of them will be out at that stage. It will be very tough for Tipp to beat Cork, then Galway and then Limerick (I'd be hoping at least) so I'm hoping for a Tipp victory there although only time will tell."
Yeah totally agree. It will be a massive game regardless but you'd hope the freshness would stand to us coming down the stretch. Would give Clare a bit of a shout against Waterford the next day. Cahill seems like a brilliant manager and another time I definitely would give them the nod to beat clare but the Waterford boys looked absolutely spent after the match yesterday. Now a 6 day turnaround
Yes Clare are after 2 games but no way did Wexford give the same level of physicality.

Someone mentioned earlier that the lack of goals is a worry. While we have progressed well the last couple of years that's one part of our game that doesn't appear to have developed greatly. In 2018 while we didn't score a goal against the cats but at least around 4 were created. If Gillane catches the ball we have a chance but we don't seem to be working a running goal opportunity. A standout one for me is that one against Cork 2018 where Flanagan picked out Lynch. Or the beauty by Peter Casey in lasts year's Munster final. Don't see many of those anymore. Was any opportunity even created at the weekend?.
Hopefully it will be in the locker for the next day out. Pat Ryan is a guy that always looks like such a dangerous runner.

Watched yesterday's match back there. While sometimes things didn't work out the lads worked their socks off.
No doubt they are a group to be proud of. Long may the good days last.

Mads (Limerick) - Posts: 220 - 16/11/2020 10:49:19    2309858

Link

Replying To Mads:  "Yeah totally agree. It will be a massive game regardless but you'd hope the freshness would stand to us coming down the stretch. Would give Clare a bit of a shout against Waterford the next day. Cahill seems like a brilliant manager and another time I definitely would give them the nod to beat clare but the Waterford boys looked absolutely spent after the match yesterday. Now a 6 day turnaround
Yes Clare are after 2 games but no way did Wexford give the same level of physicality.

Someone mentioned earlier that the lack of goals is a worry. While we have progressed well the last couple of years that's one part of our game that doesn't appear to have developed greatly. In 2018 while we didn't score a goal against the cats but at least around 4 were created. If Gillane catches the ball we have a chance but we don't seem to be working a running goal opportunity. A standout one for me is that one against Cork 2018 where Flanagan picked out Lynch. Or the beauty by Peter Casey in lasts year's Munster final. Don't see many of those anymore. Was any opportunity even created at the weekend?.
Hopefully it will be in the locker for the next day out. Pat Ryan is a guy that always looks like such a dangerous runner.

Watched yesterday's match back there. While sometimes things didn't work out the lads worked their socks off.
No doubt they are a group to be proud of. Long may the good days last."
Limerick are still clear favourites to win AI its a golden age for Limerick GAA Two Major titles in 3 weeks.

For a period Waterford disrupted the Limerick flow that is one fault of a systems based Hurling Team when its disrupted you need a Plan B quickly but I could never see WF winning they needed Goals and very hard to get those against a Limerick defence although Mike Casey is a big loss as is English.

Probably biggest threat to LM is KK who still have huge hunger

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 593 - 16/11/2020 11:17:16    2309892

Link

Well done Limerick on grinding out a win yesterday. Winning a tough battle like that rather than winning comprehensively will serve this time better for the AI series. We drifted somewhat from the process in the third quarter hitting long range shots with the breeze but regained composure for the final quarter to return to the game plan of finding the player in the better position. Lack of goals is a concern but as our half forward line play so deep we rarely have runners creating overlaps so our only threat is if Gillane beats his man one on one.

journeyman (Limerick) - Posts: 42 - 16/11/2020 11:41:32    2309920

Link

Replying To Mads:  "Don't think it's being negative to admit there are still very good sides left in the championship.
The play after half time was a serious worry for a while.
Our shooting went wayward and we started hitting the ball aimlessly up the field. The kind of play we hadn't seen in a long long time. We usually don't do timeouts in hurling but how happy was I that there was one I'm the second half.
Regained composure afterwards.
On a positive note, today was a serious battle and we came through. The big players stood up when we needed them the most, Hegarty and Mul up front and Finn in the backs.
Nash looked the most comfortable to date at corner back.
Absolutely no harm at all to have a game like that before Croker. Plenty to work on.
The biggest positive in the year that's in it is that we have a 2 week break ahead of the semi. Whoever we meet will be in their 3rd if not their 4th (Clare) game in a row."
Agreed mads, the shooting wasn't quite as accurate as previous games but there was more pressure from Waterford, Waterford done well and are certainly improving.
Like KK last year they worked hard got physical and it disrupted our supply down the middle which meant more long range shots and more high ball over our half forward line to full forward line.
Problem as I see it is when this happens we only have one target for high ball which is Gillane.
When this happens we need to get flannagan or dempsy on sooner. Gillane is fantastic but too much on his own. In fairness I never felt we were going to lose even when they levelled up in the third quarter so to speak, as limerick supporters we are blessed with the panel we have at the moment.

So Galway or Tipp again, I really don t mind but I would love to meet Kilkenny again in a final.
A real all Ireland is beating Tipp and Kilkenny along the way.

jimbob50 (Limerick) - Posts: 83 - 16/11/2020 15:00:38    2310131

Link

Replying To jimbob50:  "Agreed mads, the shooting wasn't quite as accurate as previous games but there was more pressure from Waterford, Waterford done well and are certainly improving.
Like KK last year they worked hard got physical and it disrupted our supply down the middle which meant more long range shots and more high ball over our half forward line to full forward line.
Problem as I see it is when this happens we only have one target for high ball which is Gillane.
When this happens we need to get flannagan or dempsy on sooner. Gillane is fantastic but too much on his own. In fairness I never felt we were going to lose even when they levelled up in the third quarter so to speak, as limerick supporters we are blessed with the panel we have at the moment.

So Galway or Tipp again, I really don t mind but I would love to meet Kilkenny again in a final.
A real all Ireland is beating Tipp and Kilkenny along the way."
Agree completely.. some great points and very well stated.
What must keep John Kiely awake at night is how to handle the full forward line. I would love to see Flanagan start as he disrupts, plunders and pulls defenses apart when he is in there long enough.
Mulcahy is a clutch player who comes up with a great head and settling scores When the chips are down. He did it with that unforgettable point in 2018 after Galway got 2 goals.
He can also seen time again blocking and hooking in the half back line. How do you NOT start him.
Likewise Peter Casey is a sniper and forager who Is ever dangetous and has a tremendous work rate.
Maybe he tires in last quarter yesterday and also against a Tipp. Who could blame home.

A possible plan for next day is to have Flanagan start and hopefully be a nightmare and bring Casey in to plunder after half time or in 2nd half,

A mighty test by a great Waterford team and msnagement yesterday which will surely stand to us going forward.

Direct route by avoiding backdoor a big a plus especially for winter hurling . Long may our direct route continue.

This is heaven...
Come On Ye Boys in Green.

PS will be very interesting to see how WF handle Tony Kelly.

PatOLogical (Limerick) - Posts: 1193 - 16/11/2020 15:34:05    2310156

Link

Replying To jimbob50:  "Agreed mads, the shooting wasn't quite as accurate as previous games but there was more pressure from Waterford, Waterford done well and are certainly improving.

A real all Ireland is beating Tipp and Kilkenny along the way."
Well in 2018 we beat Tipp, Kilkenny, Cork and the reigning All Ireland Champions

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2706 - 16/11/2020 17:24:44    2310246

Link

One thing to call out is Limerick's achievement in winning back-to-back Munster titles. They should be applauded. Munster hurling is as strong now as it has been in a long time. To win back to backs is some achievement and fair play to them.

I'm surprised people seem to feel the weekend creates a few doubts about Limerick. I think Waterford played very well and gave them a serious game. Limerick underestimated Waterford a little and struggled with the intensity at times yet still won by 4 points. That game will stand to them and they are very nicely positioned for the semi-final. They reminded me of the great KK team in playing only okay yet winning comfortably.

Byrnes has been very good this year and is in great form. Lynch is excellent. Hayes, Hegarty and Mulcahy stood up when needed and Gillane has been excellent. Flanagan is in serious form and gives us a different dimension. I still think our full forward line is stronger with him starting when he is in good form. I'd also like to see O'Donovan starting the next day. He's a great player and we are stronger with him there. He beats the 'press' very well and helps us get out of defence. That'll be needed.

We're in a very good spot now. No matter who we play they will be playing for their third week in a row. Our inside line struggled with the surface but Croke Park will suit Limerick's style of play. We are going very well and look much stronger than last year where we were winning but it wasn't fluent. This year things are flowing nicely.

limerick_lass (Limerick) - Posts: 37 - 16/11/2020 22:27:21    2310444

Link

Outside of Kilkenny and Tipperary no teams really put the accelerator down and put the games to bed. Galway on Saturday night went 5 up..Kilkenny in that position would immediately up the ante again and look to kill off the opposition. Galway didn't do that. And were surprised Kilkenny took the chance to launch a revival. Silly stuff. Limerick had a chance at 3 points up against Waterford to really push on...they didnt do it. I understand Waterford had a say in that but still. Its an issue which raise its head again.

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1366 - 17/11/2020 09:33:54    2310504

Link

Replying To bloodyban:  "Outside of Kilkenny and Tipperary no teams really put the accelerator down and put the games to bed. Galway on Saturday night went 5 up..Kilkenny in that position would immediately up the ante again and look to kill off the opposition. Galway didn't do that. And were surprised Kilkenny took the chance to launch a revival. Silly stuff. Limerick had a chance at 3 points up against Waterford to really push on...they didnt do it. I understand Waterford had a say in that but still. Its an issue which raise its head again."
Did you see the Dublin vs Kilkenny game? KK could have killed it yet let Dublin back into it after building up a huge lead. Likewise, KK did well but Galway let them hang on. Both of those games haven't been ringing endorsements of the greatness of this KK side. Their starting full forward line scored 1 point from play last Saturday, not very good either.

KK are good, no doubt, and a game vs them would be very, very close. But it's a fallacy to say this KK side are more ruthless than any of the others.

limerick_lass (Limerick) - Posts: 37 - 17/11/2020 12:14:59    2310564

Link

Hi. Could anyone tell me if clare and tipp win on saturday. Who do Limerick play in da semi?

jonnyhogan (Tipperary) - Posts: 54 - 18/11/2020 14:42:59    2311080

Link

Think a draw has to be made Monday morning.thats my understanding..now it is the Gaa so it might not be all that clear..

CTGAA10 (Limerick) - Posts: 1154 - 18/11/2020 15:24:22    2311096

Link

Replying To jonnyhogan:  "Hi. Could anyone tell me if clare and tipp win on saturday. Who do Limerick play in da semi?"
As far as I know there will be a draw to see who plays who.

skillet (Limerick) - Posts: 776 - 18/11/2020 15:26:55    2311098

Link