Limerick Forum

Official Limerick Senior Hurling 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Richie is English is supposedly very close to a return albeit this Sun may be too close ...... is this correct or rumour ?

Waterford have definitely progressed under Cahill, hopefully we dont let up from the start or for any time to give them confidence and grow into the game - straight to semi is without doubt the way to go this year with only 2 weeks in between, any team getting to semi without winning provincial title will be minimum playing 3 weeks in a row.

Not taking away from great KK team in any way but straight to semi after coming through Leinster in old system was huge benefit to them with no Galway in Leinster, Wex and Offaly gone way back, Dublin not at a very high level made Leinster pretty routing and a easier path that trying to get though Munster and qualifiers .

LimkABU (Limerick) - Posts: 62 - 12/11/2020 12:02:47    2307921

Link

Replying To Seeking_silver:  "I fancy the following to win this weekend;
1. Wexford
2. Cork
3. Galway
4. Limerick"
Clare Wexford will be very close - especially if Chin and o'connor are out.

I'd be surprised if Tipp cant get past Cork as well, I'd back them by 5+ points.

McFan88 (Limerick) - Posts: 436 - 12/11/2020 15:14:22    2308009

Link

The games this week will tell a lot about where teams are actually at. Everyone has had at least one game under their belts now. This weekend a lot of questions will be answered.
1. Do Cork have the level of consistency required or was it Dublin just didn't have the right game plan the last day out and let them run riot?

2. Were Tipp just a bit rusty and only need to win to get the well oiled machine back on track or are they genuinely lethargic after last year.?

3. Are Galway serious all Ireland contenders or were Wexford just that poor the last day out

4. Did Kilkenny simply pull up against Dublin but won't let that happen again or was it that they just ran out of steam and couldn't handle the intensity?

5. Can Wexford rediscover 2019 form or are they struggling to reach the same level of performance

6. Can Clare rediscover 2020 league form or have they lost too many big names to cope.

7.Can Waterford bring the level of intensity and skill required to disrupt Limerick?

8. How will Limerick be able to cope with the most stern test yet?

For me this weekend I'm going with Wexford, Kilkenny, Tipperary and Limerick to win

Mads (Limerick) - Posts: 220 - 13/11/2020 00:10:46    2308228

Link

Great to see Richie back in the panel,huge boost to everyone..big day for Dave reidy but think he,ll cope..Waterford look like they might be targeting our full back line,Gleeson full forward..really looking forward to a hum dinger..

CTGAA10 (Limerick) - Posts: 1153 - 13/11/2020 21:24:23    2308514

Link

Replying To CTGAA10:  "Great to see Richie back in the panel,huge boost to everyone..big day for Dave reidy but think he,ll cope..Waterford look like they might be targeting our full back line,Gleeson full forward..really looking forward to a hum dinger.."
Best of luck to Reidy. He must be going well in training. Iv never been convinced by him. He's a loose hurler but he is accurate for sure. I just couldn't put him on ahead of David Dempsey unless again training is showing things we don't see.

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1366 - 14/11/2020 10:45:25    2308625

Link

Replying To bloodyban:  "Best of luck to Reidy. He must be going well in training. Iv never been convinced by him. He's a loose hurler but he is accurate for sure. I just couldn't put him on ahead of David Dempsey unless again training is showing things we don't see."
Assuming they're not going to be moving positions again and Reidy remains at 11, Is there any chance he's put in with a specific role of negating de Burca?
Its a surprise move alright.. Probably more to it than meets the eye.

skillet (Limerick) - Posts: 775 - 14/11/2020 12:34:37    2308653

Link

Replying To Seeking_silver:  "I fancy the following to win this weekend;
1. Wexford
2. Cork
3. Galway
4. Limerick"
Lol. Leinster final just ready to start an I've already got first two wrong. Paddy power delighted

Seeking_silver (Limerick) - Posts: 294 - 14/11/2020 18:14:48    2308815

Link

let's hope you got one right!

ONdeDITCH (Limerick) - Posts: 639 - 14/11/2020 20:10:38    2308878

Link

Replying To bloodyban:  "Best of luck to Reidy. He must be going well in training. Iv never been convinced by him. He's a loose hurler but he is accurate for sure. I just couldn't put him on ahead of David Dempsey unless again training is showing things we don't see."
It's great comfort to know we a have a manager real hurling men on the sideline to make those decisions based on Up close and personal observations several times per week .

PatOLogical (Limerick) - Posts: 1193 - 14/11/2020 21:33:04    2308944

Link

Replying To skillet:  "Assuming they're not going to be moving positions again and Reidy remains at 11, Is there any chance he's put in with a specific role of negating de Burca?
Its a surprise move alright.. Probably more to it than meets the eye."
I had exact same thought that Reidy is being sent to disrupt DeBurca or lead him on a tour of Semple. Also possible that Kyle could go to full back to shackle Gleeson and Dan could go to his more familiar spot at 7. Horses for coarses and great to have luxury of key men for special assignments. Dan Has also done a fine job at 3.
COYBIG

PatOLogical (Limerick) - Posts: 1193 - 15/11/2020 04:00:10    2309008

Link

That kilkenny win yesterday just shows how difficult they are to beat. Galway had a chance to nail them and they just weren't ruthless enough. When you go 5 up against them,you have to make it 7,8,10 like Tipperary would. If Limerick get to meet Kilkenny I could see a similar thing happening, not nailing them when on top. And I wouldnt like to see Richie Hogan and TJ going in ontop of the fullbackline. Food for thought yesterday

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1366 - 15/11/2020 08:38:18    2309018

Link

Replying To PatOLogical:  "I had exact same thought that Reidy is being sent to disrupt DeBurca or lead him on a tour of Semple. Also possible that Kyle could go to full back to shackle Gleeson and Dan could go to his more familiar spot at 7. Horses for coarses and great to have luxury of key men for special assignments. Dan Has also done a fine job at 3.
COYBIG"
If Gleeson stays at 14 that would be a good call for Kyle to pick him up... Tactics and getting match ups right will be crucial.
Waterford are a good team with some serious players.

skillet (Limerick) - Posts: 775 - 15/11/2020 09:24:19    2309028

Link

Replying To bloodyban:  "That kilkenny win yesterday just shows how difficult they are to beat. Galway had a chance to nail them and they just weren't ruthless enough. When you go 5 up against them,you have to make it 7,8,10 like Tipperary would. If Limerick get to meet Kilkenny I could see a similar thing happening, not nailing them when on top. And I wouldnt like to see Richie Hogan and TJ going in ontop of the fullbackline. Food for thought yesterday"
A lot of hurling to be played. Yeah to beat Kilkenny it will take every ounce of energy and you have to be at the top of your game. Thought Galway didn't even do a whole pile wrong yesterday which was scary in itself. If we do beat Waterford today potentially it's Galway we'd meet in the semi which will be an extremely tough task. Have to go with the one game at a time mantra. It will take 3 massive performances to win Liam back.
On another note, I think Tipp did way better than what they'll get credit for and will drive on big time after that match yesterday.
They showed big battling qualities against a Cork side who
came with a fight. Mettle of champions came through when on the ropes. They'll feel if they make it to Croker they'll only get better. It's anyone's to win.

Mads (Limerick) - Posts: 220 - 15/11/2020 09:38:00    2309031

Link

Haven't been on here a while and I can see why now. Talk about a losers mentality.An average Kilkenny who beat an aimless Galway and struggled against Dublin are world beaters now. Jesus we should hand them the cup now. ON FORM we won't fear Kilkenny or anyone else simply because ON FORM we shouldn't fear anyone. As for why Reidy is picked it couldn't be more obvious. He is a first class sharpshooter. He will be instructed to stay loose rack up the scores and impact on Waterford's game plan by forcing them to detail someone to pick him up. If we wanted someone to go man to man on DeBurca Reidy is the last man they would ask to do that.

welpastit (Limerick) - Posts: 720 - 15/11/2020 12:11:14    2309090

Link

Replying To bloodyban:  "That kilkenny win yesterday just shows how difficult they are to beat. Galway had a chance to nail them and they just weren't ruthless enough. When you go 5 up against them,you have to make it 7,8,10 like Tipperary would. If Limerick get to meet Kilkenny I could see a similar thing happening, not nailing them when on top. And I wouldnt like to see Richie Hogan and TJ going in ontop of the fullbackline. Food for thought yesterday"
Jesus, Mary and Joseph.. it's not not safe to get out of bed anymore, or at the very least least stay close to the fireside and work on your shin burn. The sky will surely fall if you go outside.The trolls are back... above post probably originating in kilkenny, Cork, Tipp , Galway or the White House .
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself. Thank God Limerick management are not afflicted.

Beware of the risen people and the risen hurlers of Limerick....

PatOLogical (Limerick) - Posts: 1193 - 15/11/2020 12:57:20    2309112

Link

Headless stuff in this second half from Limerick. Some rash shooting all round. They badly need new men on the half forward line. Gillane as good as he is has taken some terrible shots and missed a few easy ones aswell. Casey needs off aswell and Reidy has been poor .

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1366 - 15/11/2020 17:17:31    2309362

Link

Replying To welpastit:  "Haven't been on here a while and I can see why now. Talk about a losers mentality.An average Kilkenny who beat an aimless Galway and struggled against Dublin are world beaters now. Jesus we should hand them the cup now. ON FORM we won't fear Kilkenny or anyone else simply because ON FORM we shouldn't fear anyone. As for why Reidy is picked it couldn't be more obvious. He is a first class sharpshooter. He will be instructed to stay loose rack up the scores and impact on Waterford's game plan by forcing them to detail someone to pick him up. If we wanted someone to go man to man on DeBurca Reidy is the last man they would ask to do that."
"Losers mentality"
More like a dose of realism..

skillet (Limerick) - Posts: 775 - 15/11/2020 17:41:16    2309400

Link

Great to win a Munster hurling championship and a league a few weeks ago. Cian Lynch had another great game as had Gearoid Hegarty. Limerick had lots of wides, substitutions played an important part, especially Seamus Flanagan. Waterford put up a great challenge. I think this will take away much of the hype with regard to Limerick which would be welcome. Limerick have it all to do to win the All-Ireland but are in a good position.

fainleog (Limerick) - Posts: 558 - 15/11/2020 18:14:36    2309448

Link

I wasn't impressed overall. Nash done well. Flanagans point really settled us as we were a little headless for a period there in the second half. We got out of jail there and were blessed with the win. Tougher days ahead and I feel today's battle will stand to us.

70_laps (Limerick) - Posts: 30 - 15/11/2020 18:36:51    2309482

Link

Don't think it's being negative to admit there are still very good sides left in the championship.
The play after half time was a serious worry for a while.
Our shooting went wayward and we started hitting the ball aimlessly up the field. The kind of play we hadn't seen in a long long time. We usually don't do timeouts in hurling but how happy was I that there was one I'm the second half.
Regained composure afterwards.
On a positive note, today was a serious battle and we came through. The big players stood up when we needed them the most, Hegarty and Mul up front and Finn in the backs.
Nash looked the most comfortable to date at corner back.
Absolutely no harm at all to have a game like that before Croker. Plenty to work on.
The biggest positive in the year that's in it is that we have a 2 week break ahead of the semi. Whoever we meet will be in their 3rd if not their 4th (Clare) game in a row.

Mads (Limerick) - Posts: 220 - 15/11/2020 19:18:15    2309531

Link