Dublin Forum

Jim Gavin in unknown territory as a manager

(Oldest Posts First)

Would I be right in saying that this would be Jim Gavin's first back to back All Ireland final as manager of a Dublin team

Even all the U-21 titles he never got to back to back AI finals

He knows how difficult it is to put back to back seasons

He had some near misses but surely that victory against Kerry must have been hugely satisfying for him on a personal level

Chances like these don't come along every day and even after all the success

This season is something that he has never had to contend with

Do you think this will refocus his efforts and aid him in the preparations?

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19833 - 05/09/2016 14:42:19    1910263

Link

Theres not a lot he can do once the ball is thrown in the players will play the game, and preparing for this AI final for the players and management team will be no different to preparing for any other one down the years.

Taking what Gavin says in his press calls and so on, I don't even think it will cross his mind in the build up.

Its all about the team, the collective.

If we win, He wont hog the limelight, he will let the players take that.

Its too big a game for him to have distractions about himself. Its literally the last thing he will be worrying about.

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13541 - 06/09/2016 10:25:14    1910562

Link

dublin will be uber focused on doing back to back, every single one of them. Its a new experience for all of them, so they will all be doing everything in their power, regardless, but waynes right, I dont think the actual thought of this will be in Jims mind, in fact id say 2013 when they played against the same opposition might be more so.

Frederick (Louth) - Posts: 476 - 06/09/2016 16:54:06    1910837

Link

Replying To Frederick:  "dublin will be uber focused on doing back to back, every single one of them. Its a new experience for all of them, so they will all be doing everything in their power, regardless, but waynes right, I dont think the actual thought of this will be in Jims mind, in fact id say 2013 when they played against the same opposition might be more so."
I'd say it did

He's not a robot lads

It's his fist aback to back final as a manager and Dublin's first back to back finals since the mid 90's

He was part of that team of course so to say it wouldn't have gone through his mind.. I'm not so sure

I say he took quite a lot from that victory versus Kerry

For a man that's achieved so much, this is new ground for him and that's the sort of motivation that you just cant buy..

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19833 - 06/09/2016 17:23:27    1910869

Link

I hardly think a man who five minutes after winning the all ireland title in 2013 said we are already behind the other teams for next year will need his mind refocused after winning a semi final.
He has won four league titles in a row as manager remember.

hill16no1man (Dublin) - Posts: 12665 - 06/09/2016 19:11:19    1910921

Link

Good thing he doesn't have much injury concern before the game against Mayo

Angus (Dublin) - Posts: 283 - 07/09/2016 08:23:07    1911057

Link