Down Forum

Player Expenses, Social Media And Training Bans. Why Do We Stand For It?

(Oldest Posts First)

The Irish Independent this weekend done a piece on the expenditures for county boards and more specifically county team expenditures for 2019 and 2020.

I understand that the finances are calculated for both hurling and football but staggeringly Down's expenditure sits 7th in the national table with a grand total of €739,377 (£657,931 sterling) said to be spent in preparing our teams for last season's campaigns in 2020.

After the Cavan defeat I was devasted. The lads had put in an unbelievable performance in the first half and capitulated in the second. This happens. But what astounded me was the carefree reaction from some of our more senior players after the final whistle. Literally within a few hours players were posting pictures on social media in a frivolous manner with throw away clichés of, "that's it for another year" or the old classic, "a game of two halves" etc.

I am sure the vast majority of the players were gutted. But surely Paddy Tally has to get a grip on some of the egos within that changing room? It has to mean something to pull on that jersey other than a crass social media post hours after the event. It is now a widely held impression that too many senior footballers enjoy the limelight that they perceive themselves to be basking in.

They are dinning out on past glories in their underage careers or on the rich heritage of Down football which is becoming more and more akin to the debunked and deluded MAGA movement across the pond. Down football used to be good. Down footballers used to win titles, but that is almost 30 years ago. Times have moved on, other counties have moved on, but yet we still hold onto this elusion that we are, "the aristocrats of Ulster" (at times it feels like have the physical presence of a feline animal alright).

Despite living abroad for the past 5 years I have still kept up the annual fee for the Club Down draw but cancelled it at the end of 2020 as I seen another superficial and thoughtless interview given to the Irish news by a senior player about why he was moving clubs 30 minutes up the road. Why do our players feel the need to discuss every detail to the press when they haven't earned the right to do so?

And then it struck me, if it wasn't already evident. We have become a county of mercenaries who no longer care about winning or competing. Some of our senior players now use the county jersey to promote their own financial or social media image with little thought to how the optics look to the outside supporters who pay their hard earned cash to support them.

And then we moved onto latest fiasco, "in misreading the room". Paddy Tally and his backroom team felt the need to break with the collective GAA training ban and with the general public health message at large and have a training session. Again the optics of this are incredulous. It is not as bad as Celtic jetting off to the sun but all the same, surely there is a degree of regret from the county board in allowing this deceitful act?

People are being asked to sacrifice a lot these days and people are suffering be it their mental health, physical health or financial situation but that doesn't apply to our "sacred" county footballers. My Question is, and it comes back to my first point, Were the players and management claiming expenses for this illegal training session? If the answer is "yes" then surely the prejudiced views outlined above have been vindicated?

These are hard times for everyone in the GAA and society at large and we are asked to sacrifice a lot. But as Orwell said, "some are more equal than others" and it certainly feels that way with our county footballers.

SouthLDN_Spud_Murphy (UK) - Posts: 8 - 24/01/2021 12:15:30    2328728

Link

I hear what you are saying Spud.

When you hear lads get up and talk of doing things the "Down way" it'd almost make you boke.

If doing things the Down way means getting beat out the gate then we need to change that mentality.

The Down way used to be that Down led the way innovatively from the teams in the 60's even to the 90's with Pete McGrath deploying Ross Carr and Gary Mason as deep lying half forwards.

Now we try to ape Tyrone without the players to do those roles.

As for the players, social media is now a thing whether we like it or not, I'm not fussed either way about it.

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2479 - 25/01/2021 10:43:31    2328861

Link

I think a lot of the ego is generated by so many awards. Down club all stars in my view is pointless. Its a popularity contest. Doesn't say the player had a great cship just says the club with the biggest fan base if advertised to members correctly they will get plenty of votes.
Players said if they were involved in a competition outside the Sam Maguire they would have to reconsider playing County. We all know players want to be big names as when they are out of county cship they're away to the States to get paid. Yet the following year they're once again plastered over paper as that county preps for cship.
Hurlers know they aren't at level to play Liammccarthy unlike pre Christy Ring era. They've taken to 2nd tier competition with right attitude and yes it does need greater exposure and coverage. Footballers feel they've the right to compete at top table but do they?
Antrim hurlers promoted to top tier after a long battle this year yet footballers in Div4 and can compete in Sam.
Their footballers get more exposure than likes of any of the less favoured hurling counties.
Until footballers stop believing their own hype and embrace a different competition in line with their ability at this point they will always have ego issues.

GlassHalfEmptyOrHalfFull (Down) - Posts: 1 - 25/01/2021 12:31:17    2328882

Link

Replying To SouthLDN_Spud_Murphy:  "The Irish Independent this weekend done a piece on the expenditures for county boards and more specifically county team expenditures for 2019 and 2020.

I understand that the finances are calculated for both hurling and football but staggeringly Down's expenditure sits 7th in the national table with a grand total of €739,377 (£657,931 sterling) said to be spent in preparing our teams for last season's campaigns in 2020.

After the Cavan defeat I was devasted. The lads had put in an unbelievable performance in the first half and capitulated in the second. This happens. But what astounded me was the carefree reaction from some of our more senior players after the final whistle. Literally within a few hours players were posting pictures on social media in a frivolous manner with throw away clichés of, "that's it for another year" or the old classic, "a game of two halves" etc.

I am sure the vast majority of the players were gutted. But surely Paddy Tally has to get a grip on some of the egos within that changing room? It has to mean something to pull on that jersey other than a crass social media post hours after the event. It is now a widely held impression that too many senior footballers enjoy the limelight that they perceive themselves to be basking in.

They are dinning out on past glories in their underage careers or on the rich heritage of Down football which is becoming more and more akin to the debunked and deluded MAGA movement across the pond. Down football used to be good. Down footballers used to win titles, but that is almost 30 years ago. Times have moved on, other counties have moved on, but yet we still hold onto this elusion that we are, "the aristocrats of Ulster" (at times it feels like have the physical presence of a feline animal alright).

Despite living abroad for the past 5 years I have still kept up the annual fee for the Club Down draw but cancelled it at the end of 2020 as I seen another superficial and thoughtless interview given to the Irish news by a senior player about why he was moving clubs 30 minutes up the road. Why do our players feel the need to discuss every detail to the press when they haven't earned the right to do so?

And then it struck me, if it wasn't already evident. We have become a county of mercenaries who no longer care about winning or competing. Some of our senior players now use the county jersey to promote their own financial or social media image with little thought to how the optics look to the outside supporters who pay their hard earned cash to support them.

And then we moved onto latest fiasco, "in misreading the room". Paddy Tally and his backroom team felt the need to break with the collective GAA training ban and with the general public health message at large and have a training session. Again the optics of this are incredulous. It is not as bad as Celtic jetting off to the sun but all the same, surely there is a degree of regret from the county board in allowing this deceitful act?

People are being asked to sacrifice a lot these days and people are suffering be it their mental health, physical health or financial situation but that doesn't apply to our "sacred" county footballers. My Question is, and it comes back to my first point, Were the players and management claiming expenses for this illegal training session? If the answer is "yes" then surely the prejudiced views outlined above have been vindicated?

These are hard times for everyone in the GAA and society at large and we are asked to sacrifice a lot. But as Orwell said, "some are more equal than others" and it certainly feels that way with our county footballers."
Very well said

germac (Down) - Posts: 295 - 01/02/2021 21:13:35    2330050

Link