UK Forum

The Future Of London GAA After Covid-19

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Two good battles in the senior Semi Finals at the weekend. Good to see big crowds out at games again.

Jamie Clarke must be allowed to travel to play under the elite sport rule. Good comeback from Neasden in the second half but TCG with better strength in depth across all positions. Thought the Fulham v Kiernans game was alot better quality and fancy Fulham to go on and win it now. However TCG always raise there game in Finals! Kiernans will be disappointed to lose out, looked the better team for much of the game in all honesty. Staunton was class kicking frees all day for Fulham and that kept them in it whenever Kiernans looked to increase a lead. Fulham's experience was crucial in extra time.

Will likely be the same teams going for the 2021 championship this year too, unless any of the rest have made some good signings??

Offtheball10 (Meath) - Posts: 12 - 11/05/2021 14:27:01    2341114

Link

Replying To Silverfox79:  "Good to see a few big games back being played the weekend. I was also surprised to see Neasden put up such a strong fight against TCG, seemed a close enough game. I watched the Brendans v Eire Og game which was low scoring but quite an even contest for the most part. Brendans pulled away late on with their big inside forward doing all the damage. I would fancy them to beat Dulwich convincingly in the final as apparently Dulwich have lost some of their guys from last year. I also stayed on and saw Harlesden hammer Wandsworth. Seems to be HH and Clarets way ahead of the rest so hopefully should be a decent Junior final."
TCG don't seem to be as strong as last season so would expect Fulham to turn them over in the final. Brendans won easy in the end, they seemed fitter and better organised against an Eire Og team that seemed to throw in the towel quite easily even with the extra man. Dulwich have been going well this past few years so that has the making of a good final. Be some achievement if Dulwich were to gain senior status considering they struggled to win junior for a number of years. Harlesden should win junior, they seem to have a strong panel again this season and recruited well this past year or so.

whoareya (Donegal) - Posts: 56 - 11/05/2021 17:08:30    2341142

Link

Have to say a little surprised by the senior semi finals. Didn't think TCG v Neasden would be as close and to the honest thought Kiernans would beat Fulham - but I might have been a bit blinded from knowing a few Kiernans people.

Don't think Dulwich will have enough to come through their final. They are definitely missing a few established players but they've been on a great journey the last few years.

Not too surprised by the junior match up. Wandsworth seem to be notoriously slow at starting each year so I think it went to plan with Harlesden giving them a good hiding. I don't think though come later in the year it will be as simple as whoever loses the 2020 final will coast the 2021 championship. Think Tara will have a word to say and Wandsworth will probably be back up there again.

WestAwake88 (Galway) - Posts: 72 - 12/05/2021 14:43:50    2341281

Link

Who's looking good for the hurling this year??.
Hope they stream last years county final I see its on the weekend if the 20th june..

edshamrocks (Wexford) - Posts: 340 - 14/05/2021 13:22:18    2341682

Link

New to the board...Lots of interesting fixtures this weekend

McCurtains v Fulham Irish - Think Fulham will take this comfortably in prep for the championship final. Looked really impressive in their win over Kiernans last weekend. Irish by 7/8 points

St Kiernans v Round Towers - St.Kiernans should have enough on their new home patch which looks a tremendous set up i must say. St.Kiernans by 4

Tir Chonaill Gaels v North London Shamrocks - TCG looked rusty last weekend against Neasden in the semi final however I don't know much about NLS and how they have recruited over the winter period. On that basis I would tip my cap towards TCG on taking this - TCG by 6

Does anyone know what the story is with Cu's?

St Brendans V St Clarets - St clarets very underwhelming last weekend in the junior champ. However many of their signed players should be eligible for the league and i think this one will be a lot closer than what you may think. St Brendans have made a strong start so far. will say Brendans by 3

Dulwich Harps V KKG - Not sure what to make of Dulwich at this point. Defeated a very poor Parnells team who made it to the intermediate semis by default. Have they lost a few players from 2020? KKG seem to have recruited reasonably well. KKG by 4

Garryowen V Tir Chonaill Gaels - Garryowen have started impressively racking up some good scores in their first two outings. How are the next lot on the TCG production wheel shaping up? Garyowen by 6

St Josephs V Eire Og - Joes are stuttering big time after Brendans beat them well in the first outing and the struggled to get beyond Clarets. Never seen the Eire Og game last week v St Brendans, but it appears that Brendans were very comfortable from any accounts I have heard. Although Joes have struggled to get going I would expect them to be too strong for Eire Og. Joes by 5

On the 2020 championship

TCG V Fulham - A real tussle between the two heavyweights once more. If the games are anything like the 2019 finals we will be in for a treat. Hard to know what shape TCG are in based on last week and Fulham looked really sharp.
I will go for a Fulham win...just.

Brendans V Dulwich - Dulwich don't look as impressive as they did coming through the league last year. They must have lost a few players along the way since then. Brendans in the first two league games looked strong and have some tidy player. Think Brendans to take the intermediate

HH V Clarets - Clarets have recruited well for the 2021 season however as many of those players are not eligible to play within the 2020 championship it weakens their team significantly. Harlesden look strong through the middle and I would expect them to win this one well.

Isnt it great to have football back!

Jaybloggs (UK) - Posts: 6 - 14/05/2021 13:44:25    2341691

Link

Football predictions for the weekend:

Division 1
Neasden v TCG: can only see a TCG win here, Neasden in big trouble.
MacCurtains v St Kiernans: easy win for St Kiernans.
NLS v Round Towers: should be a close game, both teams will be looking to pull away from the drop zone. NLS by a few points.
Fulham v Cuchs: easy Fulham win, hard to see where Cuchulains will get the points to stay up.

Overall its hard to see Cuchs staying up with probably Round Towers or MacCurtains to join them.

Division 2
Eire Og v St Brendans: Brendans flying in the league, should get an easy win here.
St Josephs v Dulwich: St Josephs seem to have got their act together in recent weeks, should beat Dulwich who seem to be falling by the wayside.
TCG v KKG: easy KKG win, TCG will struggle to stay up.
Garryowen v Clarets: Garryowen going really well, will definitely be in contention for promotion. An easy win for them here.

All to play for in the promotion stakes. Either two of Brendans, St Josephs, Garryowen and KKG to go up. At the other end it seems TCG and Eire Og seem to be well of the pace and will be the two to go down, although Clarets could get dragged in to the relegation battle.

Division 3
St Kiernans v tara: should be a close game, Kiernans to sneak it.
Wandsworth v parnells: Wandsworth to continue their good form.
Parnells London Born v Harlseden: an easy Harlseden win.

Be hard to see anyone else but Wandsworth and Harlseden go up.

LondainEire (UK) - Posts: 16 - 18/05/2021 12:12:42    2343039

Link

Replying To LondainEire:  "Football predictions for the weekend:

Division 1
Neasden v TCG: can only see a TCG win here, Neasden in big trouble.
MacCurtains v St Kiernans: easy win for St Kiernans.
NLS v Round Towers: should be a close game, both teams will be looking to pull away from the drop zone. NLS by a few points.
Fulham v Cuchs: easy Fulham win, hard to see where Cuchulains will get the points to stay up.

Overall its hard to see Cuchs staying up with probably Round Towers or MacCurtains to join them.

Division 2
Eire Og v St Brendans: Brendans flying in the league, should get an easy win here.
St Josephs v Dulwich: St Josephs seem to have got their act together in recent weeks, should beat Dulwich who seem to be falling by the wayside.
TCG v KKG: easy KKG win, TCG will struggle to stay up.
Garryowen v Clarets: Garryowen going really well, will definitely be in contention for promotion. An easy win for them here.

All to play for in the promotion stakes. Either two of Brendans, St Josephs, Garryowen and KKG to go up. At the other end it seems TCG and Eire Og seem to be well of the pace and will be the two to go down, although Clarets could get dragged in to the relegation battle.

Division 3
St Kiernans v tara: should be a close game, Kiernans to sneak it.
Wandsworth v parnells: Wandsworth to continue their good form.
Parnells London Born v Harlseden: an easy Harlseden win.

Be hard to see anyone else but Wandsworth and Harlseden go up."
Divison 1 is strange NLS beat McCurtains well then failed to field and got heavily beaten, McCurtains then got draw v Towers and ran Fulham close by all accounts. Neasden will be interesting to see if their big guns for the big games. Can see these four all taking points of each other, whilst Kiernans , Fulham and TCG sort out the top spots.

Div 2, Brendans off to a flyer, KKG , Garryowen and Joes looking to keep pace, surprised to see Eire Og struggling.

Div 3 - been a lot of close games, Harsleden looking best placed with Taras or Wandsworth to join them

Rosineri1 (UK) - Posts: 2028 - 18/05/2021 14:49:16    2343110

Link

I don't think we will have a full picture of things for another 2 months. Joes, Brendans and KKG have recruited large numbers and continue to do so. Not sure how they keep all the numbers content but I guess they have seconds. On the flip side Dulwich seem to have lost a few and have a very small panel. I was told Eire Og are the same. Even though Eire Og recently played in the semi final and Dulwich are in the final in two weeks, I can actually see these two making a fairly swift return to Junior. At Senior, nobody can seem to figure out what is happening with NLS?!

Silverfox79 (UK) - Posts: 5 - 18/05/2021 15:37:20    2343122

Link

Replying To Silverfox79:  "I don't think we will have a full picture of things for another 2 months. Joes, Brendans and KKG have recruited large numbers and continue to do so. Not sure how they keep all the numbers content but I guess they have seconds. On the flip side Dulwich seem to have lost a few and have a very small panel. I was told Eire Og are the same. Even though Eire Og recently played in the semi final and Dulwich are in the final in two weeks, I can actually see these two making a fairly swift return to Junior. At Senior, nobody can seem to figure out what is happening with NLS?!"
Can see a lot more recruitment happening in the next few months although I expect it to follow the current trend in Division 2 with the likes of KKG, St Joes and Garryowen getting even stronger. Brendans have also seemed to recruited well so they'll be there and there abouts come July/August. They've actually already beaten Joes and KKG in the league so will probably get promoted, Joes and KKG will fight it out for second place. At this stage St Joes will probably be favourites for the 2021 inter.
The improvement of these teams will be to the detriment of the traditional junior clubs like Dulwich, Eire Og etc who had benefitted from the falling standard at intermediate level this past two seasons. Both clubs will struggle to retain their intermediate status as two clubs will go down in 2021. Both are also struggling in the league also.

NLS seem to be working of a small panel; will probably be happy to maintain their Division 1 status and then have a crack at the championship.

whoareya (Donegal) - Posts: 56 - 18/05/2021 16:13:58    2343138

Link

Replying To whoareya:  "Can see a lot more recruitment happening in the next few months although I expect it to follow the current trend in Division 2 with the likes of KKG, St Joes and Garryowen getting even stronger. Brendans have also seemed to recruited well so they'll be there and there abouts come July/August. They've actually already beaten Joes and KKG in the league so will probably get promoted, Joes and KKG will fight it out for second place. At this stage St Joes will probably be favourites for the 2021 inter.
The improvement of these teams will be to the detriment of the traditional junior clubs like Dulwich, Eire Og etc who had benefitted from the falling standard at intermediate level this past two seasons. Both clubs will struggle to retain their intermediate status as two clubs will go down in 2021. Both are also struggling in the league also.

NLS seem to be working of a small panel; will probably be happy to maintain their Division 1 status and then have a crack at the championship."
Not entirely sure about the trend of more players being recruited in at this stage.. esp given that things appear to be opening up slightly more at home and some of the counties club games have began again. In saying that there will always be some who with a few pound may be enticed.

Games this weekend...

Neasden Gaels v Tir Chonaill Gaels - TCG should win however winning margin will be dependant on a case of what Neasden team appears on the field really. TCG by 6

Fulham Irish v Cú Chulainns - Fulham to win comfortably. Cu's look destined for nothing other than the drop. Fulham by 10

North London Shamrocks v Round Towers - What is the story with NLS? Do they have a squad? I think Round Towers will win this but at the moment you cant really read anything into NLS. Round Towers by 4

Thomas McCurtains v St Kiernans - Think This could be the shock of the weekend. McCurtains ran Fulham close last weekend. McCurtains by 1

Div 2

St Josephs v Dulwich Harps - Think the Harps had a depleted team last weekend for one reason or another and appeared to be missing a few regulars. In saying that Joes looked strong V Eire Og... Joes by 2/3

Eire Og v St Brendans - Nothing other than a comfortable Brendans win here. Eire Og miles off the pace at the moment and coming up against the pace setters in Brendans - Brendans by 8/9

Garryowen v St Clarets - Garryowen have started fairly well and did I hear right that the clarets have lost one of their players to Australia? Still think that this could be a close one however. Will say Garryowen by 2

Tir Chonaill Gaels v Kingdom - Kerry Gaels - KKG to cruise this one. TCG intermediates/juniors look to have taken a few steps back the way this season whilst KKG appear to have got a few handy players recruited in. KKG by 5

Div 3

Not really close to the action here.. Harlesden look the strongest to come out of the division along with Wandsworth or Tara. What is going on with Parnells? Neither side appear to be making much of an impression.

Jaybloggs (UK) - Posts: 6 - 20/05/2021 10:47:03    2343561

Link

Some very lop sided results in Division 1. Fulham and Kiernans both racking up big scores. Cuchulainns and Tommy Macs struggling big time. NLS and Towers will probably be safe from the drop.
Division 2 is very competitive. TCG gave KKG a run for their money and also clarets getting an important win against a decent Garryowen team, an important win that could see them safe from the drop. Dulwich ran Joes very close also, Joes v KKG will be an important fixture with both sides joint second in the league. Both clubs have recruited quite strongly this season. Brendans are the form team however running up a big score against an Eire Og team that seem to be a bit of a shambles this season, a lot of poor players all over the pitch and don't seem very fit or organised at all.
Division 3 is getting competitive with Taras getting an important win at the weekend to go second in the league. Wandsworth play Parnells midweek and should get a win there to go top.

whoareya (Donegal) - Posts: 56 - 24/05/2021 09:40:16    2344830

Link

Is the County final on Sunday?I hear the cheats won their case at last night

ifindoubt (Donegal) - Posts: 115 - 02/06/2021 14:33:59    2347717

Link

Replying To ifindoubt:  "Is the County final on Sunday?I hear the cheats won their case at last night"
Why wouldn't it be on?

Offtheball10 (Meath) - Posts: 12 - 02/06/2021 15:13:58    2347726

Link

Replying To Offtheball10:  "Why wouldn't it be on?"
I believe St Kiernans put an objection in as the London County Board made a complete mess of the whole thing! Every club was told months ago that only players registered in 2020 could play in the 2020 competitions which makes sense really. Anyway every club seemed to follow this guidance aside from Fulham. They had a few very strong players in the semi final who just recently signed for them. St Kiernans wanted a replay but the request was denied. Reminds me of Meath beating Louth in that Leinster final except far worse as this was done intentionally by Fulham.

Silverfox79 (UK) - Posts: 5 - 02/06/2021 16:28:37    2347754

Link

Replying To Silverfox79:  "I believe St Kiernans put an objection in as the London County Board made a complete mess of the whole thing! Every club was told months ago that only players registered in 2020 could play in the 2020 competitions which makes sense really. Anyway every club seemed to follow this guidance aside from Fulham. They had a few very strong players in the semi final who just recently signed for them. St Kiernans wanted a replay but the request was denied. Reminds me of Meath beating Louth in that Leinster final except far worse as this was done intentionally by Fulham."
Surely the precedence has been set here with Joes and Parnells last year? Not that it done Parnells much good.

Jaybloggs (UK) - Posts: 6 - 02/06/2021 17:19:31    2347771

Link

The new players hadn't played championship with any club in the 2020 season so they were eligible. St. Kiernans committee really showed themselves up as sore losers. Can't imagine many of their players would've wanted to get to a final that way after losing fair and square.

hbk (Monaghan) - Posts: 34 - 02/06/2021 20:30:09    2347822

Link

Let's not get this wrong the county board royally messed this up. They did not tell the clubs this months ago but rather three days before the semi in an email about Covid-19 safety in Greenford.

I know for a fact at least 4 clubs were disputing this with them as there is no rule for this at. Other teams adhered to the rule and could may suffered in the semis, Fulham felt the confidence to risk it and were proven right.

Another thing I know is that in the lead up to the game a number of secretaries sought clarity on the rule from co board but were met with contempt and rudeness from the powers that be. I don't think Fulham did anything wrong at all, if Kiernans have an issue I would imagine it's with the co board who didn't have a clue what they were doing!!

3castle (UK) - Posts: 1 - 03/06/2021 07:37:17    2347887

Link

Replying To hbk:  "The new players hadn't played championship with any club in the 2020 season so they were eligible. St. Kiernans committee really showed themselves up as sore losers. Can't imagine many of their players would've wanted to get to a final that way after losing fair and square."
From what I hear I don't think it's an issue of Kiernans being sore losers or having a problem with Fulham themselves. They were appealing on the basis of the email County Secretary sent out to all clubs that players not signed in 2020 were ineligible to play. As they had one or two players who had signed in 2021 but had not played 2020 championship, they decided not to play them following the County Secretary's email. So you could understand why they felt an appeal was the right to do, at least to secure a replay where they could field those lads who had to stay on the sideline.

The bottom line was the County Secretary issued the wrong guidance and simply doesnt know the rule book whilst Fulham knew the rule book better than Kiernans or at least took the risk and it worked so hats off to them. But agree with some of the posts that some of the interactions our club has had with board Chairman and Secretary has been dismal to say the least.

fancyaride (Mayo) - Posts: 142 - 03/06/2021 11:18:42    2347928

Link

I don't think there is anything to do with being sore losers. They also didn't want Fulham thrown out, they wanted a replay. It's very clear that every other club involved in the 2020 semi finals that rolled over to 2021 followed the guidance given and did not play new players that were not registered in 2020. Fulham took a chance and it paid off for them. Fair play. London County Board showing itself to be a shambles once again. Anyway, any predictions for the finals? I'll say Harslesden by 2, Brendans by 5 and TCG by 2.

Silverfox79 (UK) - Posts: 5 - 03/06/2021 12:43:25    2347957

Link

Replying To Silverfox79:  "I believe St Kiernans put an objection in as the London County Board made a complete mess of the whole thing! Every club was told months ago that only players registered in 2020 could play in the 2020 competitions which makes sense really. Anyway every club seemed to follow this guidance aside from Fulham. They had a few very strong players in the semi final who just recently signed for them. St Kiernans wanted a replay but the request was denied. Reminds me of Meath beating Louth in that Leinster final except far worse as this was done intentionally by Fulham."
The County board only issued guidance but it wasn't backed up by any actual rule in the book. Fulham made the smart call and obviously followed the rules and had every right to play every player that was eligible to play. Any allegations of foul play and cheating is laughable.

LondainEire (UK) - Posts: 16 - 03/06/2021 15:36:39    2348004

Link