Monaghan Forum

Monaghan In The Qualifiers!

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

if I was Monaghan CC I'd be making roachford number 1 target from outside the county I don't no any inside men so I won't comment on that. You can see that roachford has had a huge impact on Donegal this year. He also was the only manager bar mcguinness he was able to get a team to rattle mayo and should have won a couple of all-Irelands with them if Lady Luck has shone at all. He clearly loves the game when he was happy to go into the backroom of the Donegal team and step out of the line light. I think Monaghan is an ideal fit for him.

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 204 - 23/06/2019 23:53:58    2199540

Link

Replying To expat345:  "Liam Kerns by far the best record of available managers.

Liam Kearns coached Na Piarsaigh to the Limerick U21 Football Championship in 1997, the club's only U21 football county title, a team that contained Declan Lynch (Head of Sports Medicine Bath Rugby), Mike Prendergast (Assistant Coach to Grenoble), Ian Costello (Former Backs Coach to Munster) and captained by Comdt Joe Mullins.

Kearns is highly regarded as a manager and coach and during his spell with Limerick he turned them into the second team in Munster as they outshone Cork.

He managed the Limerick under 21 side to successive Munster titles and to an All-Ireland Under-21 Football Championship final appearance. In 2003 he led Limerick to a Division 2 National Football League final where they were beaten by Westmeath on the same day that Laois lost to Tyrone in the Division 1 decider.

The following year he was in charge when Limerick beat Laois in a Division 1 National Football League tie at the Gaelic Grounds and that year Limerick reached the Munster Senior Football Championship final which they lost on a replay to Kerry.

In 2010 he led Aherlow to the Tipperary Senior Football Championship.

In November 2015, Kearns was named as the new manager of the Tipperary senior football team.[1
[2][3] In June 2016, Tipperary reached the Munster final after a 3-15 to 2-16 win against Cork. They went on to defeat Derry by 1-21 to 2-17 in round 3A of the qualifiers to reach the All Ireland Quarter-finals for the first time.[4] On 31 July 2016, Tipperary defeated Galway in the 2016 All-Ireland Quarter-finals at Croke Park to reach their first All-Ireland semi-final since 1935.[5][6][7] On 21 August 2016, Tipperary were beaten in the semi-final by Mayo on a 2-13 to 0-14 scoreline.[8][9][10]

On 8 April 2017, Tipperary won the Division 3 final of the 2017 National Football League after a 3-19 to 0-19 win against Louth in Croke Park.[11]

On 9 June 2019, Kearns resigned as manager of the Tipperary senior football team after defeat to Down in the 2019 All-Ireland Senior Football Championship.[12]

Playing career
As a player, Liam was a member of the Austin Stacks club and played for the Kerry minor team for two year winning an All-Ireland Minor Football Championship with them in 1980.

He graduated to become a member of the Kerry Under 21 and senior football panels and won a Kerry Senior Football Championship medal with Austin Stacks in 1986.

His father Ollie captained Kerry to an All-Ireland Minor Football Championship final in the late 50s and then was a wing forward on the Graiguecullen team that won their last Laois Senior Football Championship title in 1965."]I regard Liam Kearns very highly, as you point out serious pedigree. If financed allow him to be in charge of Monaghan then I'd be happy but I seriously doubt a man from Kerry will get the farney job.

shaggylegend (Monaghan) - Posts: 1841 - 24/06/2019 01:10:30    2199565

Link

Replying To supermon:  "And he left Monaghan in DIVISION 1 when he left the role back in 2010. After he left we suffered 2 successive relegations.

Got county team relegated? What about getting the promoted? What about reaching Ulster finals? Yes silverware eluded us, apart from a Division 2 title (thanks Banty), but he turned us into one of the most competitive counties in the country, and the team fearing no one on their day."
Yes banty won the division 2 title, when there was 2 divisions in the national league. He then went on record as saying he brought Monaghan from division 4 to division 1. This was a falsehood, as division 2 title was won courtesy of Mark Ward. He had a great crop of players and failed to produce. He is still caught in the dark ages with defence football .
As a Kerry man pointed out "jeez it must be embarrassing to see a manager jumping up and down on a fence after being beaten".
Why didn't he stay with the minors this year instead of jumping ship.

Why where the Corduff players hoping he would stay manager of wexford so he couldn't take over corduff?

Tony McEntee or Stephen Rochford should be considered for the job, otherwise the county board would have let the players and the county down.

shaggylegend (Monaghan) - Posts: 1841 - 24/06/2019 01:21:52    2199567

Link

Replying To mick2007:  "Regarding Banty As I've said before we need more then fist pumps on the sideline for the camera to lift us now.. we need a outside manager who has no loyalty to any of the players and will pick players on form as opposed to reputation.. while banty will Defo bring passion to the job we need a serious tactician to now drive the thing on and evolve the team in this rebuilding period.. Banty didn't get the jobs in Cavan or donegal for a reason and was lynched out of meath.."
And that worked out well for them

supermon (Monaghan) - Posts: 1070 - 24/06/2019 03:42:49    2199573

Link

Replying To mick2007:  "Regarding Banty As I've said before we need more then fist pumps on the sideline for the camera to lift us now.. we need a outside manager who has no loyalty to any of the players and will pick players on form as opposed to reputation.. while banty will Defo bring passion to the job we need a serious tactician to now drive the thing on and evolve the team in this rebuilding period.. Banty didn't get the jobs in Cavan or donegal for a reason and was lynched out of meath.."
It's very easy to write someone off by creating a simplistic narrative of a fist pumping hot head. He was always far more than that. And he was a very astute tactician when he wanted to be.

He didn't get those jobs in Cavan and Donegal because there were other excellent candidates from within their own counties. To dismiss him as some kind of has been pariah 'lynched' out of other counties is unfair in the extreme.

He deserves serious consideration in my opinion.

supermon (Monaghan) - Posts: 1070 - 24/06/2019 05:22:06    2199575

Link

Good to see things nearly back to normal after a strange few years. Monaghan out early in the championship was always a good tradition. Cavan in ulster finals was another great tradition. Ulster title next year and full normality will be resumed. Monaghan in division 3 in no time!

.tribute (Cavan) - Posts: 359 - 24/06/2019 06:27:08    2199578

Link

Replying To .tribute:  "Good to see things nearly back to normal after a strange few years. Monaghan out early in the championship was always a good tradition. Cavan in ulster finals was another great tradition. Ulster title next year and full normality will be resumed. Monaghan in division 3 in no time!"
Isn't it funny to see someone from Cavan coming on here to stick the boot in, when you'd think they should be focusing on their own affairs. When we've been in Ulster finals or other big games, I know I for one couldn't have cared less about when or where Cavan had exited the championship, I certainly wouldn't be seeking them out to jeer them.

You can bleat away about all the all Irelands your grandfathers won, but that's a real small time mentality.

patk (Monaghan) - Posts: 865 - 24/06/2019 08:41:02    2199602

Link

Replying To patk:  "Isn't it funny to see someone from Cavan coming on here to stick the boot in, when you'd think they should be focusing on their own affairs. When we've been in Ulster finals or other big games, I know I for one couldn't have cared less about when or where Cavan had exited the championship, I certainly wouldn't be seeking them out to jeer them.

You can bleat away about all the all Irelands your grandfathers won, but that's a real small time mentality."
I don't mean to stick the boot in. It was a great few years fo Monaghan. Just found it strange Monaghan doing better than Cavan for a few years. Not normal

.tribute (Cavan) - Posts: 359 - 24/06/2019 09:01:16    2199612

Link

Replying To supermon:  "It's very easy to write someone off by creating a simplistic narrative of a fist pumping hot head. He was always far more than that. And he was a very astute tactician when he wanted to be.

He didn't get those jobs in Cavan and Donegal because there were other excellent candidates from within their own counties. To dismiss him as some kind of has been pariah 'lynched' out of other counties is unfair in the extreme.

He deserves serious consideration in my opinion."
...And at the very least - he deserves respect!

GerryD (Monaghan) - Posts: 322 - 24/06/2019 09:11:07    2199622

Link

Best thing we can do now is support our County. We have a challenging period ahead - new management, retirements, blooding new players, sponsors moving on, standards dropping and probable resignation to a few years on the periphery without any glamour fixtures and victories. The cycle is inevitable but our County remains the same and we can't choose to celebrate victories like Salthill last year and ignore the less glamorous days ahead. Nobody wants to fall back to the dark days of the 90's when we were the whipping boys of Ulster. The players have always responded to the great support they get so while the team may be in transition - the supporters should not....

I'm looking forward to the new era… we might even get another trip to Waterford!!!

GerryD (Monaghan) - Posts: 322 - 24/06/2019 09:14:25    2199627

Link

Replying To .tribute:  "I don't mean to stick the boot in. It was a great few years fo Monaghan. Just found it strange Monaghan doing better than Cavan for a few years. Not normal"
You must be in your 90's if you think that is true?

Farney (Monaghan) - Posts: 739 - 24/06/2019 09:50:42    2199655

Link

Replying To .tribute:  "Good to see things nearly back to normal after a strange few years. Monaghan out early in the championship was always a good tradition. Cavan in ulster finals was another great tradition. Ulster title next year and full normality will be resumed. Monaghan in division 3 in no time!"
I suppose it is strange to see it when you are reared to it like yourself. I had uncles played with the great Cavan teams of the 1950s and even as older men they just took it as read that they would always be ahead of the rest in Ulster.
But I am nearly 50 years on this Earth and in that time I have seen Cavan lose 5 or 6 finals and win one. The same haul as Leitrim, Westmeath and Clare which is mad when you think about it. In 50 or 60 years time, if Donegal have hit a similar barren spell, their players of the day will probably be sick of hearing about the great teams of the 2010s

Eddie the Exile (Monaghan) - Posts: 710 - 24/06/2019 09:56:00    2199662

Link

Replying To GerryD:  "Best thing we can do now is support our County. We have a challenging period ahead - new management, retirements, blooding new players, sponsors moving on, standards dropping and probable resignation to a few years on the periphery without any glamour fixtures and victories. The cycle is inevitable but our County remains the same and we can't choose to celebrate victories like Salthill last year and ignore the less glamorous days ahead. Nobody wants to fall back to the dark days of the 90's when we were the whipping boys of Ulster. The players have always responded to the great support they get so while the team may be in transition - the supporters should not....

I'm looking forward to the new era… we might even get another trip to Waterford!!!"
I think we should try and poach Stephen Rochford from the Donegal setup... make him main man in Monaghan. He is main influence over Donegal style of play at the moment... I expect Monaghan to bounce back pretty quickly, the main core of the team will still be there and some good young lads to bring in now too.. don't mind if we drop down to Div 2 during this period, it should only be brief (like Donegal !) who bounced back stronger....

SouthMonMan (Monaghan) - Posts: 68 - 24/06/2019 10:07:17    2199680

Link

Yeah I'm not expecting a mass exodus from the panel like some "experts" would have you believe is the case. With the exception of Vinny and Dessie, our next oldest lads are in the 31/32 range like Conor, Darren, Drew - lads with alot of football played but I certainly wouldn't be expecting any of them to go hanging up the boots. Then we've a decent mix of younger lads and those in the mid to late 20s.

So there will still be a strong group there next year, key thing is to get the right man to manage them.

patk (Monaghan) - Posts: 865 - 24/06/2019 10:35:47    2199716

Link

Replying To GerryD:  "Best thing we can do now is support our County. We have a challenging period ahead - new management, retirements, blooding new players, sponsors moving on, standards dropping and probable resignation to a few years on the periphery without any glamour fixtures and victories. The cycle is inevitable but our County remains the same and we can't choose to celebrate victories like Salthill last year and ignore the less glamorous days ahead. Nobody wants to fall back to the dark days of the 90's when we were the whipping boys of Ulster. The players have always responded to the great support they get so while the team may be in transition - the supporters should not....

I'm looking forward to the new era… we might even get another trip to Waterford!!!"
Really can't see justification for this. Why would standards drop? Periphery? No "glamour" fixtures? Playing Monaghan lately has been a glamour fixture for many teams.

O'Rourke himself said it was a natural end for this management and squad. This is normal. Happens everywhere bar Tyrone. But the players are still very much there and the main issue called out on this board was the lack of youth brought through to senior in the last few years. That will now change. Older players who has been outstanding, (remember Vinny C marking Murphy in 13, 15 and playing full forward with Tommy in 07) will retire and the young lads from the minor team last year will come in. Mayo are doing that right now as Dublin have been in the last 2 years. Abolutely no reason why standards sjould drop. O'Rourke won Div 3 (great night in Croker v Meath) and Ulster in his first year remember.

With the right appointment (onviously not Banty - think the county board are smart enough to avoid that scenario, with respect to Banty) we should be very competitive next year and there will be a freshness to it all. I'd imagine McManus and the Hughes lads etc would be quite excited by the prospect. O'Rourke was a brilliant appointment. I expect an equally smart appointment this time. The structures in Monaghan GAA are light years ahead of where we were at in the 90s. No reason to be fearful. Blooding young lads and going to Div 2 ... as DL have just done ... would not be an issue. Super 8 2020 the target.

Mon79 (Monaghan) - Posts: 80 - 24/06/2019 10:52:53    2199731

Link

Replying To Mon79:  "Really can't see justification for this. Why would standards drop? Periphery? No "glamour" fixtures? Playing Monaghan lately has been a glamour fixture for many teams.

O'Rourke himself said it was a natural end for this management and squad. This is normal. Happens everywhere bar Tyrone. But the players are still very much there and the main issue called out on this board was the lack of youth brought through to senior in the last few years. That will now change. Older players who has been outstanding, (remember Vinny C marking Murphy in 13, 15 and playing full forward with Tommy in 07) will retire and the young lads from the minor team last year will come in. Mayo are doing that right now as Dublin have been in the last 2 years. Abolutely no reason why standards sjould drop. O'Rourke won Div 3 (great night in Croker v Meath) and Ulster in his first year remember.

With the right appointment (onviously not Banty - think the county board are smart enough to avoid that scenario, with respect to Banty) we should be very competitive next year and there will be a freshness to it all. I'd imagine McManus and the Hughes lads etc would be quite excited by the prospect. O'Rourke was a brilliant appointment. I expect an equally smart appointment this time. The structures in Monaghan GAA are light years ahead of where we were at in the 90s. No reason to be fearful. Blooding young lads and going to Div 2 ... as DL have just done ... would not be an issue. Super 8 2020 the target."
Young players can't develop in a year - and I mean to full capacity. It takes time for them to learn, develop and adopt to a playing style. McManus was a spritely 22 before he was relinquished from his initial half back slot! And if you look at a picture of him then and now - there's about 2 stone in the difference!!

No doubt there is young talent but we have a game plan that targets attractional battles and grinding out results. It's a physically demanding game plan and a credit to those who play it and coach it. So new management will either stick to it and trust the tried and tested for as long as they can go on or develop an alternative style - which may work - but may not. Either way is a risk.

Either way - point being - support is more critical in times of adversity and transition is inevitable in any sport. Every team goes through a cycle - even this great Dublin team will inevitably deteriorate…I hope!

GerryD (Monaghan) - Posts: 322 - 24/06/2019 12:12:17    2199807

Link

Honestly sick of the sub par performances this year and every other.sure we got to a semi last year against the old enemy which could not have been more perfect time to do one over on them,but sadly no.we must face facts.we are weak and pathetic,the couple of games this year,my god,disgusting isn't the word

Now I know ye are all saying a true fan doesn't give up on their side when times are tough but with malachy giving up the reins just reeks of him saying to himself "this lot are brutal,I'm outta here"

Even after the failures of the last years I have tried to keep believing that we were on the road to somewhere that things would get better,like the battered wife going back,saying to herself "it will be different this time" but that's just dellusional.its not going to be...

Barring manzies,hughes & hughes.co and el beggan I would scrap the rest of the team.I can see myself being rather uninterested in our upcoming fixtures for quite the foreseeable.we just don't have it and the future looks dark and bleak going forward....

TheManWithNoName (Monaghan) - Posts: 3 - 24/06/2019 14:18:18    2199944

Link

Replying To TheManWithNoName:  "Honestly sick of the sub par performances this year and every other.sure we got to a semi last year against the old enemy which could not have been more perfect time to do one over on them,but sadly no.we must face facts.we are weak and pathetic,the couple of games this year,my god,disgusting isn't the word

Now I know ye are all saying a true fan doesn't give up on their side when times are tough but with malachy giving up the reins just reeks of him saying to himself "this lot are brutal,I'm outta here"

Even after the failures of the last years I have tried to keep believing that we were on the road to somewhere that things would get better,like the battered wife going back,saying to herself "it will be different this time" but that's just dellusional.its not going to be...

Barring manzies,hughes & hughes.co and el beggan I would scrap the rest of the team.I can see myself being rather uninterested in our upcoming fixtures for quite the foreseeable.we just don't have it and the future looks dark and bleak going forward...."
That's the spirit!
Have you put your hat in the ring for Monaghan Sports psychologist for the 2020 season?

FinlaysLeftFoot (Monaghan) - Posts: 32 - 24/06/2019 14:55:53    2199979

Link

Replying To TheManWithNoName:  "Honestly sick of the sub par performances this year and every other.sure we got to a semi last year against the old enemy which could not have been more perfect time to do one over on them,but sadly no.we must face facts.we are weak and pathetic,the couple of games this year,my god,disgusting isn't the word

Barring manzies,hughes & hughes.co and el beggan I would scrap the rest of the team.I can see myself being rather uninterested in our upcoming fixtures for quite the foreseeable.we just don't have it and the future looks dark and bleak going forward...."
ah, go on stick around. Please. With an attitude like that, we'd miss you...

moodoo (Monaghan) - Posts: 372 - 24/06/2019 15:04:20    2199982

Link

Replying To moodoo:  "ah, go on stick around. Please. With an attitude like that, we'd miss you..."
think you should be more concerned about our "attitude" in the last couple of games never mind mine,plus not getting into a silly posting argument here neither...and i'm entitled to voice my opinion,btw.if you wanna play blindman go walk with the Shepard but my eyes are wide open....

TheManWithNoName (Monaghan) - Posts: 3 - 24/06/2019 15:28:47    2199997

Link