Monaghan Forum

Championship 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Conor Lane!? Oh Sweet Jebus...

moodoo (Monaghan) - Posts: 369 - 17/05/2019 15:19:23    2184968

Link

Replying To MadgeKing:  "Getting close now-how are you folks feeling over here?! The die-hard supporters on both sides sound very nervous going into this match. That is genuine on the Cavan side but funny enough it says deep down we know we have a very good chance of a win. Maybe memories of Fermanagh and Longford have your lads spooked away from complacency? I expect to see at least one Hughes lining out tomorrow, maybe another (!) and Kearns togged out. So Ciaran Hughes and Fintan Kelly with McAdam and O'Connell in support? It is not the crisis Monaghan commentators have tried to float. It probably won't be a clean out in midfield but Cavan should still win the balance of possession. If we pick a big physical inside forward line and play it right through half forwards there are weaknesses to hit. Cavan will need a goal more than Monaghan- Martin Reilly, McVeety and Mackey can score running from deep, Madden closer to goal. The matchups will be tight. Hopefully Conor Lane will continue his proud record of being the only inter-county ref that doesn't buy the 'simulation' of you-know-who in the Monaghan attack! For all the quality in McCarthy and McCarron they do not cut loose on the scoreboard in big games. Cavan have the men in Jason McLoughlin, Clarke, Faulkner. There are some permutations and combinations to think about.
All said, it is one to savour. After the quiet build-up hopefully it will explode into a great battle with no excuses left in the end. KBP is in fantastic shape, all the pieces are in place. You will be welcomed in the gates as usual and beaten out them for once.
Lets have it."
Madge great to hear from you & so excited for you! Must be like the eve of an all Ireland final for you over there. If only RTE would have an 'up for the match' for supporters like you on occasions like this it would be great. With all our injury woes, this is probably Cavan's to lose - well that's as long as McLoughlin doesn't bottle it like he did back a few years ago - his jumping out of the way of Hughes was a game changer when we looked like we were in serious trouble. And I have something similar at the back of my mind for Moynagh in 2015.
Anyway enjoy the big occasion with the big boys coming to town!

greysoil (Monaghan) - Posts: 781 - 17/05/2019 16:40:09    2184997

Link

Gotta laugh at these Cavan folk who either think a) it'll be tight or b) cavan will win. Monaghan by 6+

Monodrone13 (Monaghan) - Posts: 2 - 17/05/2019 16:41:34    2184998

Link

Replying To detruth:  "stick to your own forum madge king they will believe your crap there.. the "you know who".. one cant think who that is.. hope the cavan boys like monaghan jerseys because they will be grabbing enough of them tomorrow"
Poor Madge has an obsession with Monaghan GAA, so participating in our forum is possibly therapeutic...

greysoil (Monaghan) - Posts: 781 - 17/05/2019 16:59:24    2185000

Link

Haven't been following the recent club action too closely, is Jack injured? Canavan seems to think so.

patk (Monaghan) - Posts: 863 - 17/05/2019 19:27:17    2185039

Link

Don't ever recall a panel being named so late. Will there be surprises.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1465 - 18/05/2019 07:34:38    2185116

Link

Cavan (Ulster SFC v Monaghan): Raymond Galligan; Jason McLoughlin, Padraig Faulkner, Conor Moynagh; Gerard Smith, Killian Clarke, Conor Rehill; Conor Brady, Gearoid McKiernan; Martin Reilly, Dara McVeety, Niall Murray; Oisin Kiernan, Thomas Galligan, Conor Madden.

That's a decent looking starting 15 for Cavan albeit subject to the usual few changes. It looks very well designed to play Monaghan actually. Man markers at the back and the half back line has plenty of legs. Midfield could have McVeety (expecting Doogan or McAdam) and Conor Brady, McKiernan nearly sure will move closer to goal at times- isolating Drew under high ball is the aim.

What of Monaghan's lineup? We hold our breath due to the casualty list. Kieran Hughes could make it but do you start or finish with him? All the talk is of the curve ball that Mickey Graham is planning but we need something of our own too. To me it boils to 4 things for Monaghan. First, move Killian Clarke to where we want him playing, which means full back. Dessie is the catalyst for this. Second, put a goal threat up top from the start. We all know what this means.
Third, plan to deal with the McKiernan floating between deep and full forward. I would have Kieran Duffy for the job. Drew better suited to Madden. Fourth break even on McVeety; over to you Colin Walshe.
Martin Reilly is another big threat, super footballer and very underrated even within his own county. His passing and goal-scoring ability need to be curbed.
My starting call would be:
Beggan
Wylie Boyle Wylie
Duffy Walshe O'Connell
Kelly Hughes
McAnespie McCarthy Doogan
O'Hanlon Ward McManus

Eddie the Exile (Monaghan) - Posts: 709 - 18/05/2019 09:12:13    2185127

Link

I'd definitely have Boyle full back. Sounds like Kieran will be fit to play some part then? If that's the case I'd imagine it'll be him coming on in the second half for impact, rather than starting then coming off as the game is going into the final stages. Any word on the situation with Kearns? You wouldn't be expecting him back so early of course but whenever he is fit to play a part then he'll be a massive boost. As long as he's alright himself though before getting back into intercounty football, health is the priority needless to say.

I'd also be inclined to keep O'Hanlon in reserve to come on as an impact sub aswell. His pace going at tired Cavan legs at the back could do damage if we need a spark late on, but I'd be excited to see more of him if he does get the call to start.

patk (Monaghan) - Posts: 863 - 18/05/2019 10:27:43    2185143

Link

Leaving Galway now for the game........ Lets do it Monaghan, everyone get behind the lads...... I'll never forget the boys got last year in Pearse Stdm, when they were warming up. The stand errupted when the boys ran towards it, & then the same when they ran back to the opposie terrace..... that was some lift for the team. no doubt it was a massive boost...... More of the same today please!

Monaghan Exile (Monaghan) - Posts: 397 - 18/05/2019 11:36:09    2185154

Link

Team Named.
Beggan
D. Wylie
Boyle
R.Wylie
O'Connell
Walshe
K. Duffy
Kelly
K.Hughes
Ward
Malone
Carey
McAnespie
McManus
O'Hanlon

No Neil McAdam or Jack McCarron in the panel.

shaggylegend (Monaghan) - Posts: 1840 - 18/05/2019 12:06:20    2185162

Link

Replying To Eddie the Exile:  "Cavan (Ulster SFC v Monaghan): Raymond Galligan; Jason McLoughlin, Padraig Faulkner, Conor Moynagh; Gerard Smith, Killian Clarke, Conor Rehill; Conor Brady, Gearoid McKiernan; Martin Reilly, Dara McVeety, Niall Murray; Oisin Kiernan, Thomas Galligan, Conor Madden.

That's a decent looking starting 15 for Cavan albeit subject to the usual few changes. It looks very well designed to play Monaghan actually. Man markers at the back and the half back line has plenty of legs. Midfield could have McVeety (expecting Doogan or McAdam) and Conor Brady, McKiernan nearly sure will move closer to goal at times- isolating Drew under high ball is the aim.

What of Monaghan's lineup? We hold our breath due to the casualty list. Kieran Hughes could make it but do you start or finish with him? All the talk is of the curve ball that Mickey Graham is planning but we need something of our own too. To me it boils to 4 things for Monaghan. First, move Killian Clarke to where we want him playing, which means full back. Dessie is the catalyst for this. Second, put a goal threat up top from the start. We all know what this means.
Third, plan to deal with the McKiernan floating between deep and full forward. I would have Kieran Duffy for the job. Drew better suited to Madden. Fourth break even on McVeety; over to you Colin Walshe.
Martin Reilly is another big threat, super footballer and very underrated even within his own county. His passing and goal-scoring ability need to be curbed.
My starting call would be:
Beggan
Wylie Boyle Wylie
Duffy Walshe O'Connell
Kelly Hughes
McAnespie McCarthy Doogan
O'Hanlon Ward McManus"
Correct except Malone and Carey are named instead of Doogan and McCarthy - but who knows if that's the team that will start.

BG (Monaghan) - Posts: 116 - 18/05/2019 12:15:12    2185165

Link

Ginger Spice back. Jack & Darren the notable absentees. A strong 26. McGinn back so will be interesting to see who actually starts.

greysoil (Monaghan) - Posts: 781 - 18/05/2019 12:41:02    2185170

Link

Kieran being back is a huge boost for midfield given his aerial ability. We all know there's going to be late changes but it would appear he'll be fit to play some part

Big chance for O'Hanlon to make a statement, I thought he'd have been kept as an impact sub but we still have a few forwards that can be sprung from the bench. Hopefully O'Hanlon has a good game and is a good foil for McManus.

patk (Monaghan) - Posts: 863 - 18/05/2019 13:01:30    2185176

Link

I've heard Jack McCarron has broken his ankle..awful news after his performance against mayo the last day he would have been a big asset for us this summer.

Monaghan2000 (Monaghan) - Posts: 39 - 18/05/2019 13:20:54    2185185

Link

Replying To Monaghan2000:  "I've heard Jack McCarron has broken his ankle..awful news after his performance against mayo the last day he would have been a big asset for us this summer."
You heard wrong.

greysoil (Monaghan) - Posts: 781 - 18/05/2019 13:45:59    2185196

Link

Replying To greysoil:  "You heard wrong."
What is his injury then?

Monaghan2000 (Monaghan) - Posts: 39 - 18/05/2019 14:03:33    2185201

Link

I'm so excited!! Like the look of the starting 15...hope not too many changes

MalsBalls (Monaghan) - Posts: 103 - 18/05/2019 14:53:04    2185212

Link

Whilst we may be second best in these early exchanges, that was never a penalty.

Knoxboya (Monaghan) - Posts: 284 - 18/05/2019 19:11:06    2185283

Link

Watching from abroad.
Penalty shoud not have been awarded, but Cavan's seven point HT lead is a fair reflection of the relative perfotmance of both teams

We are going out as things stand, and deservedly so.

C'MONAGHAN !!!!
Big half ahead.

Knoxboya (Monaghan) - Posts: 284 - 18/05/2019 19:47:52    2185293

Link

Monaghan missed there big chance last August. Miles are on the clock, an average but hungrier Cavan team deserved it. As I said before, Monaghan don't have the caliber of players that people think to compete at the top top level. Would donegal or Tyrone have lost this evening? Doubtful. Good luck to Cavan. 5 years since Monaghan played in an ulster final. O Rourke brought great success but not consistent enough. Tyrone or donegal will win ulster at a canter.

222 (UK) - Posts: 518 - 18/05/2019 20:45:10    2185305

Link