Monaghan Forum

Round 4 Qualifier Opponents

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Farney:  "There is no point in playing him there if he can't win the ball, stay on his feet and score a goal or lay it off... he has played that position and is not effective.. Kieran Hughes as our Full Forward is Plan Z. Thomas Kerr did better last weekend in 20 minutes than Kieran Hughes has ever done there.. He came out and won the ball and layed it off. Kieran Hughes is better at playing in midfield and roam in to the box every now and then.."
Please answer my original question...when did K Hughes last play a full game at FF for Monaghan...T Kerr a good lad but very poor against Leitrim and has had enough chances now...certainly at FF.

Jim McGuinness really rates K Hughes at FF.....you don't......no offense but I'll stick with Jimmy Mac !

Shelbourne (Monaghan) - Posts: 567 - 05/07/2018 00:07:44    2118704

Link

I just checked Laois's form, and they won all 10 matches in league and championship before they lost to Dublin.
Ok, it was against Division 4 opposition, but there is obviously some talent and form and belief there.
Was wondering too what had happened to Gary Walsh who was top scorer in the whole NFL earlier in the year, but he apparently got dropped after an ill-advised tweet on the Ulster rugby players trial.

SwissFarney (Monaghan) - Posts: 11 - 05/07/2018 13:04:18    2118811

Link

Replying To SwissFarney:  "I just checked Laois's form, and they won all 10 matches in league and championship before they lost to Dublin.
Ok, it was against Division 4 opposition, but there is obviously some talent and form and belief there.
Was wondering too what had happened to Gary Walsh who was top scorer in the whole NFL earlier in the year, but he apparently got dropped after an ill-advised tweet on the Ulster rugby players trial."
In Leinster Final against Dubs, Gary Walsh came on after 67 mins and scored 2 points from play so I'd say he will start on Sunday after his time out !

Shelbourne (Monaghan) - Posts: 567 - 05/07/2018 15:32:24    2118853

Link

No mention of K. Hughes in the starting 15 - any update on him?

greysoil (Monaghan) - Posts: 836 - 07/07/2018 08:59:29    2119278

Link

Replying To greysoil:  "No mention of K. Hughes in the starting 15 - any update on him?"
K Hughes & Drew were both carrying injuries but are listed on bench which is encouraging !

Shelbourne (Monaghan) - Posts: 567 - 07/07/2018 14:11:27    2119340

Link

Right. Wonderful opportunity today. Need to go after Laois from the start. Press up on their kick outs. Stop them coming out of defence (go one v one in defence if we have to). We are a stronger team than them but that was the case versus Fermanagh and got caught by the sucker punch because we were too conservative early in the game.

There full forward line is big so need Rory Beggan to come clear everything that moves. They will test with high balls.

Want to be in Croke Park on Sunday against Kildare so let's do this.

mightymon (Monaghan) - Posts: 11 - 08/07/2018 09:59:26    2119514

Link

Best of luck to team today. Have suncream and jersey on about to head early to navan for a pre match feed. I'd echo previous comments need to go at laois early today don't let them grow into game. Huge game for Monaghan win and the season opens up with big possibilities lose and the show really is over for this group so motivation shouldn't be an issue. Give it everything lads bring her home.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1503 - 08/07/2018 10:30:49    2119525

Link

One game between us and a place in the Super 8.
Let us prove our worth.

Hon.

Knoxboya (Monaghan) - Posts: 291 - 08/07/2018 10:34:58    2119526

Link

The start of a potentially huge week for Monaghan football. The result us in our hands; play on the front foot, cut the error count and keep the discipline and a place at the big table awaits. Looking at Fermanagh and Tyrone both yesterday, it is baffling that this team could beat the latter and lose to the former. However today we draw a line under all that a push on.
Laois are rightly fancying their chances today. Their reading of it is that there isnt and shouldnt be much between the teams. Need to put the doubts in their head early on. As always, we will know a lot by 2.20pm.
Come on lads, time to step up.

Eddie the Exile (Monaghan) - Posts: 733 - 08/07/2018 11:07:38    2119538

Link

Today we found out why we can beat the top teams, but also why we lose to the bad teams.

shaggylegend (Monaghan) - Posts: 1853 - 08/07/2018 17:01:51    2119681

Link

Well done to all the lads and management today. Job done and into Super 8's.
Took a wee bit longer going the scenic route but we are where we wanted to be at the start of The Championship.
The pressure is off big time now and we can play without fear next Sunday. The wide open spaces of Croke Park will suit this Monaghan team down to the ground.
Can't wait for 2pm Sunday!
Muineachán Abú!

HeadButter (Monaghan) - Posts: 270 - 08/07/2018 17:14:54    2119689

Link

Replying To shaggylegend:  "Today we found out why we can beat the top teams, but also why we lose to the bad teams."
Big time. Great first half hour but then we Just switched off stopped doing the things we were doing fast passing running off the ball etc. Keeping it simple playing the percentages. Not sure if was heat or what but suddenly tempo dropped and we let laois have a sniff. A better side would have punished us. On a positive note we could have had a hatful of goals but for best goalkeeping display have ever seen on a football field. Good to see Kieran Hughes getting a run even if as unpredictable as ever.Hard to know what to do with him.Roll on next weekend we are where we wanted to be start of year and hopefully that will bring out the best in us.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1503 - 08/07/2018 17:49:31    2119707

Link

Replying To seanie08:  "Big time. Great first half hour but then we Just switched off stopped doing the things we were doing fast passing running off the ball etc. Keeping it simple playing the percentages. Not sure if was heat or what but suddenly tempo dropped and we let laois have a sniff. A better side would have punished us. On a positive note we could have had a hatful of goals but for best goalkeeping display have ever seen on a football field. Good to see Kieran Hughes getting a run even if as unpredictable as ever.Hard to know what to do with him.Roll on next weekend we are where we wanted to be start of year and hopefully that will bring out the best in us."
Just back from the game. Took alit of flack aboyt my mcmanus comment. I call it as i see it. He had a great first half today. Obviously saved himself for today. Not so good in the second half. Great first 25 mins I've seen of monaghan this year. Great selection of scores. Poor second half. Missed 5 good goal chances. In fairness their keeper produced some great saves. They were very naive in their tactics. They hardly hit in any high balls to Begley. Thought mcanapsie was excellent again today. Anyway delighted to be in the super 8. As someone stated I think the pressure is off us. Think will beat kildare, lose to Kerry and beat Galway.

montheman (Monaghan) - Posts: 28 - 08/07/2018 19:02:00    2119730

Link

Yes, exactly, a good illustration of why we were going into the qualifier matches against division 4 teams this year thinking...we should win...but...! There's always a chance with this Monaghan team that they will switch off, and get caught. Today, at 4 up, if a Laois long ball had evaded an isolated drew, there was always a chance the full forward swivels and gets them a 2nd goal. Look at Tyrone and Kildare yesterday, against poor opposition they never took the foot off the throttle, and the games were over way before the end. We needed to go that today. Lot of tired bodies by now I'd imagine. Walshe seemed to get injured, and drew and O Connell both picked up heavy knocks. Hopefully all ok for next week. Thought Carey had a good first half. Kearns was good throughout. K Hughes didn't contribute much, but at least he's back on the pitch.
Some performance by the Laois keeper. We could still be there now and I don't think we'd have beaten him! Big step up again needed against a hugely fired up Kildare team. They will fancy their chances, I just hope 4 games in 4 weeks won't prove too much for us.

moodoo (Monaghan) - Posts: 394 - 08/07/2018 19:07:15    2119735

Link

Happy to get through to the inaugural super 8's. However, left Navan scratching my head a wee bit. Super performances by Carey, Kearns & good to see McManus back to his all star best, and of course McAnespie who is my player of the championship so far. We will go in as underdogs for the coming games which will suit us. Kieran H obviously still recovering.

greysoil (Monaghan) - Posts: 836 - 08/07/2018 20:06:56    2119764

Link

Right where we wanted to be, without an anglo celt to boot but we are there.
Best first half of football I seen us play in a while, lethal in all areas, 14 points was good going for one half and we all know we could of had a few goals with that only for a great goalkeeping performance
McAnespie and Beggan are best players this season, Beggan best keeper in Ireland at the moment, Has everything in his game and his kicking again today was class, a worthy mention being his pass to the aforementioned McAnespie and McAdam later on, Brody will be a nomination and I think Beggan the selection, McAnespie again chipping in with important scores and was all over the field - Always an option

Looking onto next weekend I think the better teams suit us and hopefully we'll get 2 points on the board v Kildare, More worried about Galway than Kerry, I know Kerry have added a few new players and are playing great football but we've had their number the past few occasions and they strolled through a weak Munster Championship, you can only beat what is put in front of you and they were clinical in that regard with big scores so what else are the pundits and media basing it on, league? we beat them and finished ahead of them and on our day are capable of taking them so why not feel confident on this one,

We got what we needed today, the result and into the super 8's, anything else was a bonus, get rid of the mistakes and let's give this group a good rattle,
Roll on Croker

MonaghanGlory (Monaghan) - Posts: 702 - 08/07/2018 20:36:41    2119778

Link

Any win is a great win.lots of good and plenty to improve on.
Just get the win next week. Win beautiful, win ugly and/or win lucky, don't care. With Home v Kerry and away to Galway, we will get a semi final place.

mightymon (Monaghan) - Posts: 11 - 08/07/2018 21:53:30    2119808

Link

In fairness to Monaghan I think we always looked comfortable. Sloppy in second half but which took the gloss of it a bit. Super 8's is what we wanted and I honestly believe that Monaghan have what it takes to reach a semi final. I thought referee was very very poor today...... Colin Walshe could have got a very serious injury and it deserved a red.i

Farney1977 (Monaghan) - Posts: 59 - 08/07/2018 21:57:26    2119809

Link

I wouldn't pass much remarks of the 2nd half slackness, the players knew the win was in the bag and were probably easing off with next week in mind and anyway the Laois keeper stopped it from been a 15 point or so drubbing. What I don't like is the reluctance to play 3 men up top most of the game, sometimes we look out of ideas especially when we win turnover ball and start a running break...there's no one to play it into. I'd like to have seen V Corey put into the FF line during the last 3 games but going into the Super 8's is not the time for experimenting. The Kildare defence can be got at as a poor Fermanagh side have shown so I just hope we can exploit that by leaving a few men in there..

blueblood (Monaghan) - Posts: 73 - 09/07/2018 09:12:37    2119869

Link

1st half was right up there with the finest 35mins of football ever produced by a Monaghan team - the football was super to watch - killed Laois (though tactically Laois were naive)
The second half was the OPPOSITE and we should have been out of sight - but its 3 weeks in a row win savagely warm condition so somewhat explainable - but agree with MoR that the subs should continue momentum nit bring it back so work to be done.
Ryan McAnespie is in the form of his life.

Roll on Sunday against a resurgent Kildare - won't be easy and anyone at the league game will remember w did well to get out of there with a win.

conjack76 (Monaghan) - Posts: 67 - 09/07/2018 11:05:30    2119920

Link