Galway Forum

Galway V Mayo

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To kiloughter:  "Good to hear. Still a big future for this guy. On McDaid is he definitely out? That was not the impression I had. Does anyone know if he played in Monivea's championship games. On John Daly initially I thought that was a short term injury and saw him in Tuam as a spectator at the Tyrone league game. Obviously something happened since that made his injury more long term."
How do you mean? It's a totally separate injury to the one that kept him out of the Tyrone game.
He played in all of the other league games.
He got injured I think training with the club a number of weeks ago.

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 789 - 18/09/2020 13:35:57    2292904

Link

Replying To galwayman2:  "How do you mean? It's a totally separate injury to the one that kept him out of the Tyrone game.
He played in all of the other league games.
He got injured I think training with the club a number of weeks ago."
Did not know it was a complete separate injury. That explains it so as the earlier injury appeared minor at the time from reports I heard.

kiloughter (Galway) - Posts: 1730 - 18/09/2020 20:18:17    2292948

Link

Ronan Steed injured so along with John Daly will not be available for this key match. Both players were man of the match contenders in league up to now. So we are going to see at least 2 changes from the starters v Meath.

giveitlong (Galway) - Posts: 1041 - 28/09/2020 09:44:37    2294434

Link

Paul Conroy wasn't starting during the league but after being arguably player of the year in the club championship, he's probably a banker to start v Mayo. Although he was proving to be a huge weapon off the bench in league games too.

Townee2018 (Galway) - Posts: 216 - 28/09/2020 14:06:31    2294522

Link

Replying To giveitlong:  "Ronan Steed injured so along with John Daly will not be available for this key match. Both players were man of the match contenders in league up to now. So we are going to see at least 2 changes from the starters v Meath."
Although he had a good start to league, last two games for Corofin he has not played well at all.

candlewax (Galway) - Posts: 229 - 28/09/2020 14:30:37    2294530

Link

Replying To Townee2018:  "Paul Conroy wasn't starting during the league but after being arguably player of the year in the club championship, he's probably a banker to start v Mayo. Although he was proving to be a huge weapon off the bench in league games too."
Thought he was fantastic off the bench on numinous occasions. He changed the Fbd final when he came on for Boyle.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 562 - 28/09/2020 14:41:28    2294533

Link

Replying To Townee2018:  "Paul Conroy wasn't starting during the league but after being arguably player of the year in the club championship, he's probably a banker to start v Mayo. Although he was proving to be a huge weapon off the bench in league games too."
Yes, Conroy has been the standout county player in club games. Shane has got big scores v very poor sides and did not score from play v an aged Killererin side. Hopefully he is saving himself for a big day. For most of the others the best you could say is that they were ok. The corofin lads are understandably tired after 7 years of long, almost unending seasons. It will be strange a Galway-Mayo game with no supporters.

giveitlong (Galway) - Posts: 1041 - 28/09/2020 15:01:10    2294538

Link

Well done MM it should be a great final versus Moycullen . Corofin have been unbelievable it is nice to see new teams in the county final. Pauric Joyce has a big job ahead of him as there an awful lot of good young players available.John Daly leaves a big hole at center half back. I thought Steed was a shoe in at center field but has not been playing good lately.It is good they have that league game against Mayo. heres hoping Gaillimh ABU

fishpond (Galway) - Posts: 33 - 28/09/2020 16:22:57    2294567

Link

Steede is carrying an injury since the club championship started, i don't think he's been able to put in the performances we've been used to seeing from him.

GalwayLurker (Galway) - Posts: 85 - 28/09/2020 20:05:09    2294620

Link

We are getting close to restarting the inter county season again, has anybody heard of any additions to the senior football panel, injures, or who might be in the running to start against Mayo in three weeks. What are the status of the injuries to Duggan, McDaid and Steede?

Galway4ever (Galway) - Posts: 134 - 28/09/2020 20:28:10    2294622

Link

I think that management should consider recent club form as a barometer in team selection. This includes those who may not be currently on panel or are just recent additions. In other years catapulting a player onto county team straight from club a few weeks before championship may not have been seen as wise as they may not have done the higher ( arguably) level of prep that a full season on the county panel gives.

Based on this I would consider something like the following

1. C.Gleeson
2. S. Kelly
3. SAOC
4. J.Heaney
5. D.Wall ( injured?)
6. G.Bradshaw
7. J.Foley
8. T.Flynn
9. M.Daly
10. D.Comer
11. P.Conroy
12. C.McWalter
13. I.Burke
14.E.Finnerty
15. S.Walsh

Interchange/options:
B.Power,
L.Silke
S.Mulkerins
G.O'Donnell
R.Steede (injured?)
F.O Curraoin
A.Varley
R.Finnerty
E.Brannagan
J.McLoughlin
D.Conneely
B.McHugh

A very exciting pool of players (and Im sure Im forgetting some)
People might see the positioning of 9 and 10 in particular as strange . There would be questions about M Daly at midfield , but with our devastating inside forwards , and Dalys incredible kick passing it would be a shame not to exploit that combo to its max. Having a powerful ball winning half forward line could be used to compensate any perceived deficiency in the ball winning abilities around the middle

sweetbutpsycho (Galway) - Posts: 6 - 29/09/2020 15:35:32    2294756

Link

Replying To Galway4ever:  "We are getting close to restarting the inter county season again, has anybody heard of any additions to the senior football panel, injures, or who might be in the running to start against Mayo in three weeks. What are the status of the injuries to Duggan, McDaid and Steede?"
Barry Cullinan is endorsing Gary Sice and I think he would be a great sub to bring in late in the game.If Duggan is healthy He might fit in at CHB.I think Micheal Daly should be in CF he has been in the middle of everything for M/M this year. Mc Daid is always injured or Black card prone and with Cillian O'Connor taking frees they would kill us. with Damian AND Shane taking 2 forward spots we have our pick of 7or8 forwards for the other 4 spots . It will be interesting to see what team he puts out in the League game .Looking forward to the under 20 semi finals on the 17 th

fishpond (Galway) - Posts: 33 - 29/09/2020 16:04:25    2294760

Link

Team I think for championship
Glesson
Sean Kelly
Mulkerrins
Heaney
o donnell
Silke
Mcdaid ??
Flynn
D'Arcy / currain
Daly
Comer
Brannighan
Varley
Walsh
Conroy/ Finnerty

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 452 - 29/09/2020 17:50:20    2294774

Link

Replying To sweetbutpsycho:  "I think that management should consider recent club form as a barometer in team selection. This includes those who may not be currently on panel or are just recent additions. In other years catapulting a player onto county team straight from club a few weeks before championship may not have been seen as wise as they may not have done the higher ( arguably) level of prep that a full season on the county panel gives.

1. C.Gleeson
2. S. Kelly
3. SAOC
4. J.Heaney
5. D.Wall ( injured?)
6. G.Bradshaw
7. J.Foley
8. T.Flynn
9. M.Daly
10. D.Comer
11. P.Conroy
12. C.McWalter
13. I.Burke
14.E.Finnerty
15. S.Walsh

Interchange/options:
B.Power,
L.Silke
S.Mulkerins
G.O'Donnell
R.Steede (injured?)
F.O Curraoin
A.Varley
R.Finnerty
E.Brannagan
J.McLoughlin
D.Conneely
B.McHugh

People might see the positioning of 9 and 10 in particular as strange . There would be questions about M Daly at midfield , but with our devastating inside forwards , and Dalys incredible kick passing it would be a shame not to exploit that combo to its max. Having a powerful ball winning half forward line could be used to compensate any perceived deficiency in the ball winning abilities around the middle"
Yeah. J Foley and C McWalter are shoe-ins to start in the championship.....

streaker (Galway) - Posts: 385 - 29/09/2020 18:09:51    2294780

Link

I say P Joyce is delighted with the recent performances of some players ! Lots putting their hands up for contention ! Just looking at some other posts above selecting teams etc for championship !
I doubt there will be that many new additions to the team / panel !
John Daly missing for rest of the season will be a huge lose , big boots to fill whoever replaces him ! Look at how bad/nervous we were defensively before he came !
A concern of mine would be Tom Flynn ? Hasn't played a proper competitive game in how long ? Athenry are junior and their season ended a few weeks ago !
Think a few stand out players in club championship have been sean kelly , Shane Walsh , mike Daly !
Mike Daly has been exceptional in every game I've watched for Mountbellew this year , his kickpassing is like a quarterback throwing!
Wonder will Joyce be looking at Eoin finnerty as an option ? He's definitely good enough just might be too late in season to give him a chance

galwayXI (Galway) - Posts: 85 - 29/09/2020 19:19:09    2294788

Link

Replying To streaker:  "Yeah. J Foley and C McWalter are shoe-ins to start in the championship....."
I assume u are being sarcastic. Sarcasm being the lowest form of wit...or in this case a half-wit. If u read the post i was not proposing a championship team , but a team for the mayo game. At this stage we have a fair idea from the nfl what our default 15 is for champo. My suggestion was to look for opportunities to improve our starting 15 by trying a few of the form players from club.

anotheralias (Galway) - Posts: 133 - 29/09/2020 19:43:04    2294791

Link

Replying To sweetbutpsycho:  "I think that management should consider recent club form as a barometer in team selection. This includes those who may not be currently on panel or are just recent additions. In other years catapulting a player onto county team straight from club a few weeks before championship may not have been seen as wise as they may not have done the higher ( arguably) level of prep that a full season on the county panel gives.

1. C.Gleeson
2. S. Kelly
3. SAOC
4. J.Heaney
5. D.Wall ( injured?)
6. G.Bradshaw
7. J.Foley
8. T.Flynn
9. M.Daly
10. D.Comer
11. P.Conroy
12. C.McWalter
13. I.Burke
14.E.Finnerty
15. S.Walsh

Interchange/options:
B.Power,
L.Silke
S.Mulkerins
G.O'Donnell
R.Steede (injured?)
F.O Curraoin
A.Varley
R.Finnerty
E.Brannagan
J.McLoughlin
D.Conneely
B.McHugh

People might see the positioning of 9 and 10 in particular as strange . There would be questions about M Daly at midfield , but with our devastating inside forwards , and Dalys incredible kick passing it would be a shame not to exploit that combo to its max. Having a powerful ball winning half forward line could be used to compensate any perceived deficiency in the ball winning abilities around the middle"
Who is J Foley?

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 789 - 29/09/2020 21:03:46    2294801

Link

Replying To anotheralias:  "I assume u are being sarcastic. Sarcasm being the lowest form of wit...or in this case a half-wit. If u read the post i was not proposing a championship team , but a team for the mayo game. At this stage we have a fair idea from the nfl what our default 15 is for champo. My suggestion was to look for opportunities to improve our starting 15 by trying a few of the form players from club."
Ah, well spotted.
In future maybe switch usernames before calling someone else a halfwit??

streaker (Galway) - Posts: 385 - 29/09/2020 22:24:23    2294810

Link

Replying To anotheralias:  "I assume u are being sarcastic. Sarcasm being the lowest form of wit...or in this case a half-wit. If u read the post i was not proposing a championship team , but a team for the mayo game. At this stage we have a fair idea from the nfl what our default 15 is for champo. My suggestion was to look for opportunities to improve our starting 15 by trying a few of the form players from club."
That team was posted by a different username. Why are you replying saying that it was your post?
Is anotheralias using...... another alias?

WanPintWin (Galway) - Posts: 874 - 29/09/2020 23:37:06    2294818

Link

J.McLoughlin looks a great prospect. Might be a bit early for him but I am really excited to see how he develops. Power, pace and directness. Great prospect.

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1292 - 30/09/2020 10:16:20    2294844

Link