Galway Forum

Galway V Mayo

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To 1951andwaiting:  "Disappointing to hear all the criticism of players & Management coming from Galway supporters. Back in jan/feb PJ & co and players could do no wrong, the same management and players are still there, a few regulars missing on Sunday but when Galway beat Tyrone by 18 points earlier in the year no one in Tyrone lost the plot, and blamed players and Mikey Hart.
Sometimes displays/results like this happen, and anyone involved in football knows it and probably experienced it.
Are or were Galway an 18 point better team than Tyrone ? NO. Are Mayo a 15 point better team than Galway ? again NO.
If they were to play again next week that match could go either way, it was just one of those things. Remember, for a team that nothing went right for they still scored 17 points."
The manager was the one that said it was the most embarrassing performance in his 43 years.
He also said his players hadn't broken a sweat at half time and implied that if they needed motivation yesterday they haven't a hope. The commentary on here is in line with the views he expressed

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 435 - 19/10/2020 13:39:02    2299177

Link

Replying To johnterry:  "The manager was the one that said it was the most embarrassing performance in his 43 years.
He also said his players hadn't broken a sweat at half time and implied that if they needed motivation yesterday they haven't a hope. The commentary on here is in line with the views he expressed"
I fear for us going forward..
P joyce and Concannon are a poor management duo in my opinion.. The team was set up so poorly, changes were needed in goal and all over but it was slow coming..
The warm up looked terrible and the work Horan has done in conjunction with the club managers in Mayo has hugely benefited them.
Even at the second half water break it was amateurish watching the players looking at Padraic for something and he doing nothing.. I dont know what Concannan brings to this set up..

Galwaymaster9 (Galway) - Posts: 270 - 19/10/2020 13:53:07    2299188

Link

Replying To philip3:  "To be fair Mayo played very well yesterday but we have been totally dominant over Mayo at all ages underage for the last 6 years. What happened yesterday is a mystery but hopefully we can get it together for Sunday. One huge positive was the strength in depth we have coming through after the u20's performance on Saturday. Looked miles ahead of a much vaunted Kerry team in terms of skill and game sense."
Philip, Mayo won the AI U21 title in 2016 and were in the first U20s final in 2018. Were also unlucky to lose U20 to Galway this year on penalties after the game was played in a gale, so both counties are producing a healthy flow of talent. Results tend to run in sequences sometimes, but total dominance over the last 6 years disguises the reality just a bit.

Pericles (Mayo) - Posts: 2193 - 19/10/2020 14:21:53    2299202

Link

Replying To 1951andwaiting:  "Disappointing to hear all the criticism of players & Management coming from Galway supporters. Back in jan/feb PJ & co and players could do no wrong, the same management and players are still there, a few regulars missing on Sunday but when Galway beat Tyrone by 18 points earlier in the year no one in Tyrone lost the plot, and blamed players and Mikey Hart.
Sometimes displays/results like this happen, and anyone involved in football knows it and probably experienced it.
Are or were Galway an 18 point better team than Tyrone ? NO. Are Mayo a 15 point better team than Galway ? again NO.
If they were to play again next week that match could go either way, it was just one of those things. Remember, for a team that nothing went right for they still scored 17 points."
Galway had serious ambitions earlier this year. Representing our county like that in Tuam merits questioning. We played absolute tripe across the field and the issues look like more than a blip that can be erased in a week. We made their debutant Centre half forward look like David Clifford - when he could hardly get his place on the NUIG freshers team. He's a nice footballer but no wonder player but fair play to him, he took full advantage of an atrocious Galway setup. Tommy Conroy, again a nice player but no superstar IC forward, was made look great, while AOS played away almost unhindered. What a joke. Immense improvement needed. Michael Daly needs to up about 2 gears to get to IC pace too. Full of talent, but not fast or menacing enough the way he's going.

togoutlads (Galway) - Posts: 293 - 19/10/2020 14:22:51    2299204

Link

Replying To Galwaymaster9:  "I fear for us going forward..
P joyce and Concannon are a poor management duo in my opinion.. The team was set up so poorly, changes were needed in goal and all over but it was slow coming..
The warm up looked terrible and the work Horan has done in conjunction with the club managers in Mayo has hugely benefited them.
Even at the second half water break it was amateurish watching the players looking at Padraic for something and he doing nothing.. I dont know what Concannan brings to this set up.."
From what I saw of concannon yesterday all he did was roar and shout at decisions the officials were or were not making.

fearruanua (Galway) - Posts: 342 - 19/10/2020 14:23:45    2299205

Link

No one in Tyrone lost the plot because it was a game where they had two players sent off. Sure, doubts could have been raised but they have an established management team in place that saw them win their next game against Dublin. (for those in despair about next weeks fixture, there is still hope!)

I think if anyone lost the plot, it was the Galway support. On the back of nice expansive attacking football, expectations have been raised significantly. However, the Tyrone result aside, the margin of victory in our League games this year has been no more than two points. We were grinding out results of a similar nature two years previous when we reached a League final. And only a 2nd half collapse against Tyrone in the last game prevented us reaching another final. Winning games in the league is not beyond us.

The buzz and hype around this team back in Jan/Feb was very very high. Yes, I understand the key differences in approach & aesthetics between Walsh and Joyce are almost night and day. I can see why people are more excited about the football we are playing. The results however, were not all that different. Joyce spoke about putting us back on the map when he took the job but we were in a All-Ireland semi-final two years ago. We are on the map. The question is can he take us further?

Not for the first time on this forum, I was in the minority of supporters who felt this was a brilliant appointment. My doubts mainly centered on experience. He has only had one Inter-County role to date prior to this job and that was with the U-20's this year. It is very hard to read into that campaign considering it was with a group of players who have won several Connacht Minor titles to date.

Does one result vindicate this opinion? Absolutely not. However, I'm struggling to see where things improve in the short term. Galway may have scored 17 points but 10 of those came in a second half where the result was beyond doubt. And if you look at our missing players, if you brought all of them back, does the half-time deficit suddenly disappear?

Mayo were on a different level to us yesterday. And it's timing, the Championship is around the corner and they are very much aiming to win it. That is the level Galway need to be at. You cannot expect the return of Shane Walsh and others to turn this around. We were missing several players last June in Limerick but we didn't lose by fifteen points in the end. Our preparation and our tactical approach have to be factored in somewhere! It is very obvious when players down tools but I don't think anyone involved yesterday really stood a chance.

I hope I'm wrong. Joyce and co. certainly didn't send Galway out to perform like that yesterday but a lot of work is needed if they avoid further embarassment.

FallenStar (Galway) - Posts: 296 - 19/10/2020 14:26:41    2299206

Link

Galway Bay Fm. Am I wrong to say that Galway Bay Fm reading out every Whatts App message being sent into them no matter what someone is saying is totally WRONG after a game? Some guy called the players all clowns and they read it out along with other derogatory comments.

philip3 (Galway) - Posts: 190 - 19/10/2020 14:30:18    2299207

Link

Replying To togoutlads:  "Galway had serious ambitions earlier this year. Representing our county like that in Tuam merits questioning. We played absolute tripe across the field and the issues look like more than a blip that can be erased in a week. We made their debutant Centre half forward look like David Clifford - when he could hardly get his place on the NUIG freshers team. He's a nice footballer but no wonder player but fair play to him, he took full advantage of an atrocious Galway setup. Tommy Conroy, again a nice player but no superstar IC forward, was made look great, while AOS played away almost unhindered. What a joke. Immense improvement needed. Michael Daly needs to up about 2 gears to get to IC pace too. Full of talent, but not fast or menacing enough the way he's going."
Would it have been OK to lose by 15 in Pearse Stadium instead by contrast? ;)

FallenStar (Galway) - Posts: 296 - 19/10/2020 14:32:04    2299208

Link

Replying To philip3:  "Galway Bay Fm. Am I wrong to say that Galway Bay Fm reading out every Whatts App message being sent into them no matter what someone is saying is totally WRONG after a game? Some guy called the players all clowns and they read it out along with other derogatory comments."
Galway bay FM are no friends of Galway GAA. They are sponsors of Connacht Rugby, a big rival. They do not imho have the best interests of the game at heart.

galwayford (Galway) - Posts: 1927 - 19/10/2020 14:38:42    2299209

Link

Disappointing to see the level of criticism on here. IMO PJ played an inexperienced side and ran into a team who had a bullseye on Galway desperate for survival. Their key me led and the new comers followed.

Our new men had no leadership from the more experienced guys and for some reason the whole thing was off. I was massively impressed with Finnerty though.

Don't lose hope-we have a strong first 15-

ROB
Kelly (vital player)
Mulkerrins
Heaney
Silke
Bradshaw
McDaid
Flynn
Steede
Brannigan
Conroy
Daly
Finnerty
Walsh
Burke

lowballplease (Galway) - Posts: 911 - 19/10/2020 14:47:14    2299211

Link

That was almost as bad as the slaughter in 2013 against Mayo in Salthill. Only then we knew it was not a very good Galway side. This Galway side were top of the league even though missing a lot of players.

Galway looked stuck to the ground from the start and seemed slow and lacking in any physicality whatsoever while Mayo were full of running. Very hard to explain. Maybe the sides are in different stages of training as I know the Mayo championship finished up 3 weeks ahead of Galway so Horan has had all his players available to him for longer.

Very worrying to see another collapse though. You can add it to Mayo in 2013, Tipp, Roscommon a couple of times, Monaghan in the Super 8's. When Galway are not at it they have been prone to shipping a hiding where it looks like they lack the fight for a battle.

Marooned (Galway) - Posts: 1786 - 19/10/2020 15:00:55    2299216

Link

Replying To lowballplease:  "Disappointing to see the level of criticism on here. IMO PJ played an inexperienced side and ran into a team who had a bullseye on Galway desperate for survival. Their key me led and the new comers followed.

Our new men had no leadership from the more experienced guys and for some reason the whole thing was off. I was massively impressed with Finnerty though.

Don't lose hope-we have a strong first 15-

ROB
Kelly (vital player)
Mulkerrins
Heaney
Silke
Bradshaw
McDaid
Flynn
Steede
Brannigan
Conroy
Daly
Finnerty
Walsh
Burke"
That is the spirit. We will regroup and put it up to the Dubs next week.

galwayford (Galway) - Posts: 1927 - 19/10/2020 15:04:58    2299217

Link

There is a bit of perspective needed today. People calling for multiple changes the next day, that won't happen. Why risk players next weekend thst aren't 100%. The team has nothing but pride to play for. I think there will be very little changes the next day as it gives players the opportunity to right yesterdays display. We may see Gareth Bradshaw or Gary O'Donnell instead of Johnny Duane who appeared to get a bad knock. Dublin will only be sending a shadow team next weekend, Donegal wil be doing the same by resting key players, so Kerry will win the league. Comer appears to be gone for a few weeks with that injury, he appeared to have had that hamstting strapped and probably shouldn't have played, but it was a gamble that didn't come off, they now have to rehab him and hope he is fit for a Connacht final if they beat Sligo.The goalkeeper is probably in the toughest spot, opposition teams will have seen his restarts are very limited currently, but we knew that for anybody that seen the league games, it take a while to develop a kickout strategy. It is disappointing that some people have taken the opportunity to player bash.
What we learned today is that they are not as good as the Tyrone display and not as bad as yesterday's game. It is time to reset, refocus and deliver.

EDH (Galway) - Posts: 357 - 19/10/2020 15:12:38    2299222

Link

This was absolutely pathetic yesterday from Galway Kevin Walsh would never of let this happen another slaughter from Mayo .... the rubbish the players are say they're in the best shape of their lives then going off injured after a cpl of minutes embarrassing

Galway2017 (Galway) - Posts: 44 - 19/10/2020 15:12:49    2299223

Link

Yesterday Galway made Mayo look like All Ireland contenders by dropping the heads and giving up when things went wrong, Tyrone will probably beat them next Sunday and I'll tell you one thing.....Roscommon will rip into them like terriers and wont roll over or lay down.

katser (Galway) - Posts: 1055 - 19/10/2020 15:13:45    2299224

Link

Replying To johnterry:  "I'll give you my team after the Dublin game, hopefully we will get a reaction. My definites would be,

Sean Kelly
Tom Flynn
Shane Walsh
Damien Comer
Paul Conroy
Johnny Heaney

Worth looking at and I know some aren't on the panel. I would right off the Dublin game and have a look at some of the panel/on the fringes.

-James Keane
-Eoin Finnerty
-Liam Costello(he surely would have been up for it v Mayo)
-Liam Boyle
-Paul Varley(great year)
-Kieran Molloy
-Maitias Barrett"
its worth looking at players ? And championship right round the corner.... you're some ceolain.

MapleSyrup (Galway) - Posts: 80 - 19/10/2020 15:14:26    2299225

Link

Replying To johnterry:  "The manager was the one that said it was the most embarrassing performance in his 43 years.
He also said his players hadn't broken a sweat at half time and implied that if they needed motivation yesterday they haven't a hope. The commentary on here is in line with the views he expressed"
I agreed with most of what joyce said but the part where he said they shouldnt have needed motivation?

Well they did and it's his job as a manager to make sure they are motivated. Just because he may never have needed to be motivated before a mayo game doesnt mean that his players are the exact same. Unfortunately we can't field a team of PJs

A bit worrying that the manager doesn't think he needs to be motivating the team. given what's going on at the moment in the world their mindset may be all over the place. Their friends and teammates were pulled only a week ago from the team due to covid fears maybe management should check in with them

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1208 - 19/10/2020 15:23:05    2299226

Link

Replying To philip3:  "Galway Bay Fm. Am I wrong to say that Galway Bay Fm reading out every Whatts App message being sent into them no matter what someone is saying is totally WRONG after a game? Some guy called the players all clowns and they read it out along with other derogatory comments."
Holy Moley, worse still!

The person who took that spectacular photograph of Aido leaping over/on top of Sean Andy speaking live to Ray Darcy -likening it to superhero. Ffs how are we going to air brush this out of our glorious football history...

Really (Galway) - Posts: 387 - 19/10/2020 15:28:37    2299228

Link

It's a great shot to be fair. Sean Andy will bounce back and Aiden can put it up on a frame on the wall to go with the images of him crying after All-Ireland finals ;)

FallenStar (Galway) - Posts: 296 - 19/10/2020 15:33:30    2299229

Link

Replying To galwayfball:  "I agreed with most of what joyce said but the part where he said they shouldnt have needed motivation?

Well they did and it's his job as a manager to make sure they are motivated. Just because he may never have needed to be motivated before a mayo game doesnt mean that his players are the exact same. Unfortunately we can't field a team of PJs

A bit worrying that the manager doesn't think he needs to be motivating the team. given what's going on at the moment in the world their mindset may be all over the place. Their friends and teammates were pulled only a week ago from the team due to covid fears maybe management should check in with them"
I dunno I can't agree with you on that. Players at that level should surely be self motivated, no?
For anyone that's played gaelic football (even at any reasonable club level) it's part of the deal to get yourself up for a game. If you are relying on whoever is managing your team to get yourself "up" for it then I suggest elite sport is maybe not the place for you.

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 789 - 19/10/2020 15:37:17    2299230

Link