Galway Forum

Galway Vs Kildare

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To goalk111:  "Great to see Galway produce yet another result. Very surprised that he went with P.Sweeney as Daly's replacement? Don't think he is up to that standard and surely Army, Varley and Cummins should all be ahead of him. Pity we didn't see Danny Cummins get a run but the game didn't suit and he probably isn't sharp just yet"
Sweeney played well when he came on apart from the goal which he really should have finished. He got on the ball a lot and largely used it well. These lads are all training hard and Id expect that they are getting on based on their performances there. All good options to have though

Trucker1 (Galway) - Posts: 324 - 23/07/2018 12:19:30    2125124

Link

Replying To Pope_Benedict:  "Totally agree. I think that Galway forward line is overrated, in terms of scoring threat. Kelly & Brannigan are 'water carriers' as opposed to scorers, and you can't knock water carriers in modern day gaelic football. Ian Burke is gone 100% provider, and is brilliant at it, but it means he isn't scoring a lot. Daly is needed in that mix, because he can score points more prolifically than most of the others. That leaves Walsh & Comer, who are having good seasons, but can be hit & miss in the finishing stakes too. Dropping McHugh creates a problem on the frees too, because as 2 footed as Walsh is, he's vulnerable on the frees imo, especially with more difficult frees. I wouldn't put him in the Maurice Fitzgerald league, as a 2 footed ground ball striker."
Have to agree here, Kevin Walsh bemoaning conversion rates post match last night but for all of Sweeneys endeavour and work rate he's not going to become a free scoring forward overnight. Brannigans numbers were through the roof in the league and its unlikely he was going to sustain them. From a half forward line of Kelly Brannigan and Sweeney can we realistically expect any more than 3 points? Puts a huge burden on Shane Walsh and Comer given Burke has slotted into the role of a provider. Additionally in the absence of Conroy big onus on Flynn/Cooke to contribute to the scoreboard

WunderBar (Galway) - Posts: 275 - 23/07/2018 12:48:25    2125139

Link

Replying To hailrainorsnow:  "Great win by the lads, showing great character, the panel doing unreal, the starters get it to a point and all the subs coming in made an impact.. I'm sure kevin had a dilemma in his head last night / this morning whether to go flat out against Monaghan or not. The semi finals are 8 days after the monaghan game. I say rest up and take on the dubs in the semi final, no point in wasting energy trying to avoid them. the goal is Sam and the dubs are going to be in the way of that. The dubs will be resting players in 2 weeks against roscommon and I think we should do the same and start preparation today for the dubs rather than in a few weeks time. what do ye think. turn it into a positive, we have a few lads with niggles so aiming these lads for the semi in 20 days rather than monaghan in twelve days would see us flying it on semi final day. any one agree?"
No I wouldn't take that approach at all. Take one game at a time and keep winning - that has to be the target from now on. Nothing less will do. These guys have a chance to make their own history. I thought Paul Conroy was missed yesterday for his leadership and calm direction at certain times especially when Kildare went 2 up in the first half but fair play to the lads who all responded very well. I think the likes of Kyne at cornerback and Heaney at halfback may be weak links when on fast tricky opponents as there were a number of easy Kildare points scored off that wing in the first half in particular. Is there an argument for the likes of O'Donnell and Duane to be starting or introduced earlier?

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2407 - 23/07/2018 12:53:39    2125145

Link

Replying To webbsborough:  "Sammy I agree with you completely!

I'm fairly sure we must have one or two players close to a suspension due to accumliation of black and yellow cards. We definately have at least 5 players carrying small niggly injuries. Considering this game against Monaghan is a shot to nothing more or less we need to rest all of these players and have a fully fit & suspension free team for the semi finals.
Can I pose a direct question? Considering we'll have to beat Dublin to win an all Ireland, would it be easier to beat them in a semi final or a final. Now don't forget a football final this year could have us going for the double! It would be primetime for Dublin media to heap unvelieveable pressure on this Galway Football setup.

Also as you point out Sammy, if we were to lose to Monaghan, Kerry would be out of the Championship, not a bad thing as we all know the longer they stay in the competition the tougher they'll be to beat and so a much less hyped Semi final against a Dublin team that isn't hitting 5 gear as of yet this season seems like the best option for a few reasons!

I'd like us to rest 8-10 players. Call on the remaining fit panel members to give them a full match. The likes of D'Arcy etc would benefit greatly in a full blooded championship match. Maybe a few more of the u20s or even a few of the juniors like Enda Tierney considering we're short of options in midfield and sure whatever happens happens against Monaghan. Gaillimh Abu"
We should go put to win against monaghan obviously but I would like to see lads get a chance of game time because it's not actually a must win game. Agreed that the avoid dublin shouldn't be a worry as we would have to beat them to win anything.

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1269 - 23/07/2018 13:02:51    2125150

Link

In fairness all the halfback line, both midfielders and all the starting forwards scored at least 1 point from play with the likes of Daly (2 before he went off) and Comer (3) and two more subs scored a point each so that is not a bad spread of scorers. Brannigan is going through a little crisis in confidence scoring wise and hasn't been as sharp as he was in the league but hopefully he sticks at it and it will come right. Danny Cummins may have something to offer off the bench also for his speed and direct approach when opposition defences are tiring if his shot to scoring ratio has increased from his younger days.

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2407 - 23/07/2018 13:22:27    2125175

Link

The starting team has been fairly predictable all year and it is the strongest. With hopefully 3 games left it wont change much now.. The only change the next day will be possibly Varley for Daly, but i also feel Brannigan is under pressure. The defence have been absolutely superb all year and views on changing any of them is poor analysis.

Belclare1 (Galway) - Posts: 1626 - 23/07/2018 13:30:59    2125185

Link

We should be trying to top the group full stop. Playing U20 and Junior players is ridiculous talk. By all means rest injured players and in 50/50 decisions go with the guy lacking game time.

Avoiding Dublin does matter. The later in the championship it is the more chance of someone else beating them, however unlikely that scenario. If they end up playing Kerry there is an outside chance Kerry could beat them. Obviously Dublin would be odds on but a backs to the wall Kerry with their forwards might actually be suited to that type of game.

Finally keeping the feel good factor, confidence etc while tweaking/improving the system every day you go out is crucial. I would like to think we are a better team now than we were before the Connacht Final. Losing the last game from a confidence point of view will do us no good what so ever.

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1301 - 23/07/2018 13:31:09    2125186

Link

Great to see FOC back after a terrible injury

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1269 - 23/07/2018 14:16:07    2125221

Link

Replying To galwayfball:  "Great to see FOC back after a terrible injury"
Indeed, FOC and Cummins struggled on occasion with some bad Galway teams in recent years, and were abused for it on occasion. Will be interesting to see if they can deliver more, with a side that's playing mostly on the front foot these days. Certainly Flynn has played the best football of his senior career in the last 3 games imo, and it's vital for Galway's ongoing development, that he maintains that impact more often than not in the critical midfield sector for seasons to come.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 2387 - 23/07/2018 14:42:34    2125236

Link

Replying To galwayfball:  "We should go put to win against monaghan obviously but I would like to see lads get a chance of game time because it's not actually a must win game. Agreed that the avoid dublin shouldn't be a worry as we would have to beat them to win anything."
I think it's a must get a result game v Monaghan. We want to top the group, to avoid the Dubs. I don't subscribe to the notion that we'll beat Dublin in 2018, so avoiding them for as long as possible gives us the best chance to prolong our campaign imo. An arranged 'draw' with Monaghan, if they were game ball with it, would 'get a result' for both sides in Salthill, and sadly eliminate Kerry.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 2387 - 23/07/2018 14:51:13    2125240

Link

I also wouldn't subscribe to this notion of playing U20s and Juniors against Monaghan. Ridiculous really. We want to keep winning and keep that momentum going. Monaghan looked set to beat us in Pearse Stadium in the league earlier this year until Fintan Kelly got sent off, so we'll want to go out 15 v 15 and do it again I think. Top the group and we get Donegal or Tyrone in the semi-final, who will be going hell for leather to qualify on the final weekend.

We definitely should be resting a few, but not wholesale changes. We have a very strong panel and when you're bringing fellas like Armstrong, GOD, Varley, Duane etc off the bench, you could argue we're finishing games with as strong a 15 as we started! Varley and Armstrong are very much tagged as impact subs now, but I think Varley should get the start the next day and let Daly get over his hamstring niggle. Maybe Duane and GOD in for Bradshaw and Sweeney as well. Really don't think we're losing out much there at all. They're probably the only changes I'd be definitely looking to make. Brannigan should start again to try and get the confidence back because his shooting has been poor but he puts in a great shift around the pitch. Would like to see D'Arcy or O'Curraoin get decent minutes, but not starting. KW will know himself anyway who needs resting and that, but I just hope it's max 3-4 changes.

Hope Daly is alright. We saw in the 10 minutes he played yesterday what an outstanding young talent he is. He could really fill the Conroy void by contributing to scores further out the field and creating for those inside. Just a joy to watch when he's at it. We're very lucky to have a few players like that at the moment.

Anyone know how far away Duggan is from being back? Surely not long off now. Over 4 weeks since his injury and another 3 weeks till a semi-final. From my own experience a broken wrist is 4-6 weeks in a cast.

Townee2018 (Galway) - Posts: 236 - 23/07/2018 15:29:15    2125270

Link

Replying To Townee2018:  "I also wouldn't subscribe to this notion of playing U20s and Juniors against Monaghan. Ridiculous really. We want to keep winning and keep that momentum going. Monaghan looked set to beat us in Pearse Stadium in the league earlier this year until Fintan Kelly got sent off, so we'll want to go out 15 v 15 and do it again I think. Top the group and we get Donegal or Tyrone in the semi-final, who will be going hell for leather to qualify on the final weekend.

We definitely should be resting a few, but not wholesale changes. We have a very strong panel and when you're bringing fellas like Armstrong, GOD, Varley, Duane etc off the bench, you could argue we're finishing games with as strong a 15 as we started! Varley and Armstrong are very much tagged as impact subs now, but I think Varley should get the start the next day and let Daly get over his hamstring niggle. Maybe Duane and GOD in for Bradshaw and Sweeney as well. Really don't think we're losing out much there at all. They're probably the only changes I'd be definitely looking to make. Brannigan should start again to try and get the confidence back because his shooting has been poor but he puts in a great shift around the pitch. Would like to see D'Arcy or O'Curraoin get decent minutes, but not starting. KW will know himself anyway who needs resting and that, but I just hope it's max 3-4 changes.

Hope Daly is alright. We saw in the 10 minutes he played yesterday what an outstanding young talent he is. He could really fill the Conroy void by contributing to scores further out the field and creating for those inside. Just a joy to watch when he's at it. We're very lucky to have a few players like that at the moment.

Anyone know how far away Duggan is from being back? Surely not long off now. Over 4 weeks since his injury and another 3 weeks till a semi-final. From my own experience a broken wrist is 4-6 weeks in a cast."
Duggan is out of the cast according to KW and may be available in 2 weeks time but they don't know yet. I'm assuming he would definitely be available for the semi final

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1269 - 23/07/2018 17:00:28    2125309

Link

Replying To galwayfball:  "Duggan is out of the cast according to KW and may be available in 2 weeks time but they don't know yet. I'm assuming he would definitely be available for the semi final"
That's great to hear. He'll be a vital addition if we're going to finish strong this year.

Townee2018 (Galway) - Posts: 236 - 23/07/2018 20:18:03    2125389

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "No I wouldn't take that approach at all. Take one game at a time and keep winning - that has to be the target from now on. Nothing less will do. These guys have a chance to make their own history. I thought Paul Conroy was missed yesterday for his leadership and calm direction at certain times especially when Kildare went 2 up in the first half but fair play to the lads who all responded very well. I think the likes of Kyne at cornerback and Heaney at halfback may be weak links when on fast tricky opponents as there were a number of easy Kildare points scored off that wing in the first half in particular. Is there an argument for the likes of O'Donnell and Duane to be starting or introduced earlier?"
If you think Heaney is a weak link I don't know what to say to you. He is one of our most important players. He makes brilliant attacking runs and rarely gets picked out. He got a crucial goal against Mayo in May. Was fantastic in the Mayo Monaghan and the 2 Dublin league games scoring 2 great points off the bench in Salthill and did exceptionally in the league Final also. Was anonymous against Roscommon but has been good in the rest of the games. Kyne is the weak link. Pity about Liam Silke. Pity about Brannigans form in front of goal.

My preferred team

Lavelle

Kerin
SA Kelly
Kyne

Sweeney Bradshaw Kelly

Flynn Cooke

Heaney Walsh Brannigan

Burke Comer Armstrong.

Galway have a great squad but without the option of Conroy at Centre forward and Daly its hard to replace a underperforming half forward. If one Day Heaney Walsh Brannigan Burke Comer are all on Song they could beat Dublin. But it would take a titanic performance. In order to beat Dublin in the second half u will need a 5 minute spell where u score 1-2 without reply and rattle them. Tyrone should of got a result on Saturday.They are beatable. Duggan coming back will be excellent aa I have my doubts about Cooke still. Great to see a buzz back in Galway football again. Footballs coming home lads

GAL4DaDouble (Galway) - Posts: 82 - 23/07/2018 22:42:39    2125476

Link

(This only my opinion) I understand resting players for the Monaghan game for the semi-final game but, I think it's important we beat monaghan next week & I have a couple of reasons;

1. I would much prefer to be meeting Dublin in a Final than a semi final.
Just for argument sack, imagine if Galway met Dublin in a semi final & beat them, could ye imagine the hipe around the media circles with Galway going into a final playing either a Tyrone, Donegal, or Monaghan?? We would be massive favourites and they would have us "all Ireland champions" before a ball is even thrown in... now that's even more dangerous I think than meeting Dublin in a final...

1a. Galway don't well as favourites first of all... & second I would hate to be beaten by a lesser team than a Dublin in a final... It could be a situation where one of them teams be just waiting in the long grass...

2. Dublin look way more valuable in a final than any other game. Let's call a spade a spade here, Mayo only lost by a point in 16 & 17 only for silly sending offs that Mayo put on themselves that may have been their failings of fallings short... yes they were legitimate sending offs but Mayo had no one to blame only themselves... also there's extra pressure of a four in a row for Dublin now and no connelly or brogan either. We beat Mayo in 16 & 17, Dublin & ourselves were the only two teams to do so. Dublin by a point each time, Dublin were there for the taken by Mayo and if we can take down Mayo why not Dublin??

I think it would suit us a lot better to be meeting either Donegal or Tyrone in the semis than the Dubs! Finally I know Dublin need to beaten to win an all Ireland but for me, I would prefer that situation to be in a final rather than a semi final...

"It's kinda a catch 22 situation really"

Hupgalway (Galway) - Posts: 239 - 23/07/2018 23:20:15    2125499

Link

Replying To Pope_Benedict:  "I think it's a must get a result game v Monaghan. We want to top the group, to avoid the Dubs. I don't subscribe to the notion that we'll beat Dublin in 2018, so avoiding them for as long as possible gives us the best chance to prolong our campaign imo. An arranged 'draw' with Monaghan, if they were game ball with it, would 'get a result' for both sides in Salthill, and sadly eliminate Kerry."
I have to disagree with you on the notion that Dublin are unbeatable. I certainly agree with you on making sure we beat monaghan and topping the group. Anyone who thinks we should field a weakened side against monaghan are clueless imo. There is no doubt this Dublin team are a fine team but let's face it, they have rode their luck against mayo on a number of occasions. You have only got to think of mayo and the missed frees by cillian o Connor at the death in all ireland finals. There's no doubt in my mind, shane walsh would nailed those chances if peesented with them.

I'd also disagree with you on your assumption in a previous post that Galway lack real top quality forwards and that Shane Walsh is somewhat hit and miss when it comes to free taking. Nothing could be more further from the truth this year. There is nobody in the game capable of scoring frees from the ground of either foot from either short, long or acute angles from the ground than Shane Walsh. The only players I have ever seen with that ability was Maurice Fitzgerald and the great Matt Connor from offaly. Anyone who maybe too young to have witnessed him should U tube him and you'll quickly understand what I mean. For anyone out there who fancies a flutter, Walsh is at 8/1 for footballer of the year. A near certainty if he keeps playing the way he is at present.

I also believe that a front 6 comprising of Burke, comer, Walsh, Kelly, Daly, varley/Armstrong will win us the all ireland. Each of them are hard men and by a country mile our best 6 forwards. Id have that front 6 ahead of kerry's or dublin's for that matter. We need Duggan back asap as he is the best midfielder we've had since big kevin retired. Its such a pity that daithi burke is not available because they would wipe out any other pairing in the game.

As for the game against kildare, I'm shocked cian o Neill is giving out about the Flynn red card. I was very close to it. Flynn swung around with a closed fist and connected with the top of Sean Andy's head. There was nothing accidental about it. He went to nail him big time. A straight red if I ever seen one.

Daly was really pulling the strings before he got injured which was such a pity. He is a class act. Brought on p Sweeney who played at 11. I thought that decision nearly cost us the game. Sweeney is a good lad with oceans of heart but Armstrong, Varley, McHugh are vastly superior forwards who would have buried each of the 2 goal chances in the first half.

If Sweeney is to come on as a sub, then maybe it should be in the last few minutes of Injury time just to disrupt the opposition kickouts possibly and get a sneaky goal like he did against kerry. He's a strong lad with loads of heart but it's ridiculous to see him being sprung from the bench ahead of Varley and Armstrong.

I think o Donnell was brilliant against kildare when he came on. He should start now ahead of Heaney who has been poor for the championship.

Brannigan covers alot of ground but he has missed numerous scoring chances in the championship and his form has dropped. A stint on the bench against monaghan should help both of them focus the mind. Its very important now that the best 15 are put out on the pitch.

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 227 - 24/07/2018 00:23:01    2125517

Link

We have to go flat out at this game to get something. Imagine yourselves going hell for leather at it and ending up losing and playing the dubs in a 6 day turnaround. Dublin would demolish Galway especially after a physical game against Monaghan. That is a serious risk to take and it would be such a shame for Galway to be so foolish. Monaghan will be gunning for this. We have 2 weeks to prepare even worse. This makes the 6 day turnaround even more gruelling. Its such a risk to take and if I was Kevin Walsh I would forget about Monaghan and spend 3 weeks preparing for the biggest game against the Dubs. Imagine 3 weeks preparation compared to 6 days????? It would be different if yous would be playing Kildare or Roscommon instead of Monaghan but I can guarantee you Monaghan will leave sore bodies.

monaghanmad (Monaghan) - Posts: 215 - 24/07/2018 09:29:20    2125558

Link

Loose and yous are in for a beating.....Such a waste of a year. Monaghan have the best forward goalkeeper and wing back in the land. Its a common sense decision to throw the game

monaghanmad (Monaghan) - Posts: 215 - 24/07/2018 09:32:33    2125559

Link

Replying To Reversepass1:  "I have to disagree with you on the notion that Dublin are unbeatable. I certainly agree with you on making sure we beat monaghan and topping the group. Anyone who thinks we should field a weakened side against monaghan are clueless imo. There is no doubt this Dublin team are a fine team but let's face it, they have rode their luck against mayo on a number of occasions. You have only got to think of mayo and the missed frees by cillian o Connor at the death in all ireland finals. There's no doubt in my mind, shane walsh would nailed those chances if peesented with them.

I'd also disagree with you on your assumption in a previous post that Galway lack real top quality forwards and that Shane Walsh is somewhat hit and miss when it comes to free taking. Nothing could be more further from the truth this year. There is nobody in the game capable of scoring frees from the ground of either foot from either short, long or acute angles from the ground than Shane Walsh. The only players I have ever seen with that ability was Maurice Fitzgerald and the great Matt Connor from offaly. Anyone who maybe too young to have witnessed him should U tube him and you'll quickly understand what I mean. For anyone out there who fancies a flutter, Walsh is at 8/1 for footballer of the year. A near certainty if he keeps playing the way he is at present.

I also believe that a front 6 comprising of Burke, comer, Walsh, Kelly, Daly, varley/Armstrong will win us the all ireland. Each of them are hard men and by a country mile our best 6 forwards. Id have that front 6 ahead of kerry's or dublin's for that matter. We need Duggan back asap as he is the best midfielder we've had since big kevin retired. Its such a pity that daithi burke is not available because they would wipe out any other pairing in the game.

As for the game against kildare, I'm shocked cian o Neill is giving out about the Flynn red card. I was very close to it. Flynn swung around with a closed fist and connected with the top of Sean Andy's head. There was nothing accidental about it. He went to nail him big time. A straight red if I ever seen one.

Daly was really pulling the strings before he got injured which was such a pity. He is a class act. Brought on p Sweeney who played at 11. I thought that decision nearly cost us the game. Sweeney is a good lad with oceans of heart but Armstrong, Varley, McHugh are vastly superior forwards who would have buried each of the 2 goal chances in the first half.

If Sweeney is to come on as a sub, then maybe it should be in the last few minutes of Injury time just to disrupt the opposition kickouts possibly and get a sneaky goal like he did against kerry. He's a strong lad with loads of heart but it's ridiculous to see him being sprung from the bench ahead of Varley and Armstrong.

I think o Donnell was brilliant against kildare when he came on. He should start now ahead of Heaney who has been poor for the championship.

Brannigan covers alot of ground but he has missed numerous scoring chances in the championship and his form has dropped. A stint on the bench against monaghan should help both of them focus the mind. Its very important now that the best 15 are put out on the pitch."
You make a lot of very good points but I have to call you up on one. If you think Gary O'Donnell is better than Heaney Id have to disagree. Gary O'Donnell is good going forward & a good kicker of the ball but his man marking / defensive work can be very loose. I'd rank J Heaney as our best all round half back. I'm not in any way biased and have no affiliation to Heaney.

hailrainorsnow (Galway) - Posts: 57 - 24/07/2018 10:49:19    2125579

Link

Replying To monaghanmad:  "Loose and yous are in for a beating.....Such a waste of a year. Monaghan have the best forward goalkeeper and wing back in the land. Its a common sense decision to throw the game"
Id say we will take it handy. Leave McManus at home ye will win without him, rest him up for the semi final

hailrainorsnow (Galway) - Posts: 57 - 24/07/2018 10:54:43    2125581

Link