Galway Forum

Playing in America for summer

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Think about it - these Turlough players grew up in the area, went to school in the area, have played since U6 with their club, are average club hurlers but their ability provides them with an opportunity to travel, to see different cultures and way-of-life, there are no games for them in Ireland so why shouldn't they travel and play in the US? - why should there be a problem with their coming home to represent their home-club if required? - Clubs are looking for a loophole to object - these are amateur players of JuniorC standard - what surprises me is that there are not better players already in situ in these US clubs

TouchOfClass (Galway) - Posts: 730 - 28/06/2017 14:39:13    2006898

Link

Replying To TouchOfClass:  "Think about it - these Turlough players grew up in the area, went to school in the area, have played since U6 with their club, are average club hurlers but their ability provides them with an opportunity to travel, to see different cultures and way-of-life, there are no games for them in Ireland so why shouldn't they travel and play in the US? - why should there be a problem with their coming home to represent their home-club if required? - Clubs are looking for a loophole to object - these are amateur players of JuniorC standard - what surprises me is that there are not better players already in situ in these US clubs"
What are u on about junior c standard its senior club hurling. Regardless of when they started playing for there club rules are rules. We didn't write up them rules but every other team played by them turlough didn't again. Turlough knew what they were doing. Why didn't the player just not sign the form till the following day then??

yankee1 (Galway) - Posts: 41 - 28/06/2017 15:36:34    2006948

Link

Replying To tommie:  "Bring the rulebook with you to croke park on sunday yankee, if we lose know doubt you will find some loophole to lodge objection ha ha"
Is that the best u can do Tommie??when the lads from the county board are up there Sunday they mite ask for a rule book and look through it

yankee1 (Galway) - Posts: 41 - 28/06/2017 15:39:59    2006951

Link

Replying To yankee1:  "What are u on about junior c standard its senior club hurling. Regardless of when they started playing for there club rules are rules. We didn't write up them rules but every other team played by them turlough didn't again. Turlough knew what they were doing. Why didn't the player just not sign the form till the following day then??"
Can I ask the question - what did the player or Turloughmore have to gain by signing and then submitting the form the day before the game and then playing?? Answer - Nothing!!
From what I can see the one player in question is a registered Turlough player and has played with Turlough all his life. It would appear he has signed the sanction form too early and the club have submitted it to the CB a day early (possibly with or without clear instruction not to submit to CP until after June 2nd)
You say "Turlough knew what they were at". I say clearly they didnt!!! Otherwise they would have made sure that form went no where near the county board till after the game on June 2nd was played. If a rule was broken, then they are guilty of a clerical error. If they are to be punished, then the CB should make a statement & get on with it. But if they are punished for this then its a sad day for Galway club hurling IMO.

VictorMeldrew (Galway) - Posts: 93 - 28/06/2017 17:42:21    2007025

Link

Replying To VictorMeldrew:  "Can I ask the question - what did the player or Turloughmore have to gain by signing and then submitting the form the day before the game and then playing?? Answer - Nothing!!
From what I can see the one player in question is a registered Turlough player and has played with Turlough all his life. It would appear he has signed the sanction form too early and the club have submitted it to the CB a day early (possibly with or without clear instruction not to submit to CP until after June 2nd)
You say "Turlough knew what they were at". I say clearly they didnt!!! Otherwise they would have made sure that form went no where near the county board till after the game on June 2nd was played. If a rule was broken, then they are guilty of a clerical error. If they are to be punished, then the CB should make a statement & get on with it. But if they are punished for this then its a sad day for Galway club hurling IMO."
Regardless rules were broken. Also the player had scored 8pts and 6pts in his first 2 games he never started against Portumna came on at half time when they were 3 pts down against the wind scored 4 pts plus had a hand in the goal. No one can say turlough didn't know what they were doing.

yankee1 (Galway) - Posts: 41 - 28/06/2017 18:24:40    2007045

Link

Replying To yankee1:  "Regardless rules were broken. Also the player had scored 8pts and 6pts in his first 2 games he never started against Portumna came on at half time when they were 3 pts down against the wind scored 4 pts plus had a hand in the goal. No one can say turlough didn't know what they were doing."
I heard he wasn't on because he had been away on holidays. Can't understand why people would want to appeal a convincing defeat. It's controversies like this that have held our county team back over the years. I remember some players refused to play for Galway under loughnane in 07. Players should play the game and then get on with it. Have a bit of pride in winning on the field of play.

pucfada (Galway) - Posts: 103 - 28/06/2017 20:32:11    2007102

Link

Replying To pucfada:  "I heard he wasn't on because he had been away on holidays. Can't understand why people would want to appeal a convincing defeat. It's controversies like this that have held our county team back over the years. I remember some players refused to play for Galway under loughnane in 07. Players should play the game and then get on with it. Have a bit of pride in winning on the field of play."
He was definitely not gone on holidays anyways so please try another excuse. This thing about Galway not winning all Ireland titles because clubs not getting on makes absolutely no sense what so ever can someone tell me what all Ireland they lost because of that. Also this thing about letting it go for the sake of the county team is wrong there is hundreds of lads training hard for months who deserve to be treated with more respect

yankee1 (Galway) - Posts: 41 - 29/06/2017 16:12:57    2007540

Link

Replying To yankee1:  "He was definitely not gone on holidays anyways so please try another excuse. This thing about Galway not winning all Ireland titles because clubs not getting on makes absolutely no sense what so ever can someone tell me what all Ireland they lost because of that. Also this thing about letting it go for the sake of the county team is wrong there is hundreds of lads training hard for months who deserve to be treated with more respect"
Well said,they are trying to use Sunday's Leinster final as an excuse to not rock the boat,as for some people saying matches should be won on the field??yes they should that is why we should be able to trust teams to play fair but that hasn't happened in this case,!

galway21 (Galway) - Posts: 59 - 29/06/2017 16:34:27    2007556

Link

The player is from Turloughmore. He has played all his life with them.
Why does the GAA persist in the nonsense that the GAA in the US has anything to do with what happens here?
In a free country any player should be able to play for his own club as long as he doesn't play for another club in Ireland. What's wrong with a student going to the US and playing as many games as he can for his own club? The GAA behaves like Donald Trump on these issues!!!

SixtiesKid (Galway) - Posts: 152 - 29/06/2017 19:49:57    2007667

Link

Replying To SixtiesKid:  "The player is from Turloughmore. He has played all his life with them.
Why does the GAA persist in the nonsense that the GAA in the US has anything to do with what happens here?
In a free country any player should be able to play for his own club as long as he doesn't play for another club in Ireland. What's wrong with a student going to the US and playing as many games as he can for his own club? The GAA behaves like Donald Trump on these issues!!!"
Yes they do. But it has to be the same for rules for all teams. Turloughmore management and committee should have knew better and not made that mistake again

yankee1 (Galway) - Posts: 41 - 29/06/2017 20:10:10    2007675

Link

Replying To yankee1:  "Yes they do. But it has to be the same for rules for all teams. Turloughmore management and committee should have knew better and not made that mistake again"
No rules broken by turloughmore so dont know what your on about yankee, did you ever catch a hurl in your life or just read rule books all the time.

tommie (Galway) - Posts: 65 - 29/06/2017 20:50:46    2007688

Link

Replying To tommie:  "No rules broken by turloughmore so dont know what your on about yankee, did you ever catch a hurl in your life or just read rule books all the time."
Tommie, they broke the 30 day rule, clear as day! The register is on Croke Park website for everybody to see. Whats more, Turloughmre knew exactly what they were doing. The player started and scored well in their previous two games, they left him off because of the rules, then panicked and brought him on when they needed him. He proceeded to score four points, one a sideline, one free and two from play as well as an assist for the goal. I don't agree with the rule, but its there for every club in the country and Turloughmore broke it!

WastedTalent (Galway) - Posts: 31 - 03/07/2017 13:14:59    2009592

Link

Replying To WastedTalent:  "Tommie, they broke the 30 day rule, clear as day! The register is on Croke Park website for everybody to see. Whats more, Turloughmre knew exactly what they were doing. The player started and scored well in their previous two games, they left him off because of the rules, then panicked and brought him on when they needed him. He proceeded to score four points, one a sideline, one free and two from play as well as an assist for the goal. I don't agree with the rule, but its there for every club in the country and Turloughmore broke it!"
I think he should be on the Galway panel hes playing so well?

tommie (Galway) - Posts: 65 - 03/07/2017 22:59:37    2010044

Link

General Rules

1. A Sanction entitles a player to play with a Club from March 1 until the end of October
2. Sanctions to USGAA (North America),New York or Canada, will not be granted after July 1
3. A player who has received a Sanction will not be able to play again with his Club in Ireland for 30 days after the date of approval of his Sanction in Croke Park
4. Sanctions are only available to current members of Clubs in Ireland
For more information, go to Rule 6.11 of the Official Guide

Guess hurling folk don't like the rule, a player who has had club membership all his life should be allowed to represent that club whenever the club deems necessary - I would suggest the rule is there to prevent players changing club preference on a weekly basis - Congress should amend the rule to take in account lifelong club loyalty, for example, was a playing member from U10 to U21, any breech of membership through that period would necessitate application of Rule 6.11 of the Official Guide

TouchOfClass (Galway) - Posts: 730 - 04/07/2017 11:02:24    2010242

Link

I'm told this matter is far from over,watch this space!

galway21 (Galway) - Posts: 59 - 10/07/2017 17:33:37    2014316

Link

Just when you think the hurlers might win the all Ireland the clubs go at it again!

MTS (Galway) - Posts: 262 - 11/07/2017 12:54:19    2014882

Link

Posted this question before, what has the hurlers chances of winning an All Ireland got to do with a club fielding an ILLEGAL PLAYER IN CHAMPIONSHIP GAME??? Having seen the hurling Cork/Waterford played at the weekend, there will have to be a better reason put forward when we don't the All Ireland. Rules are rules and it states quite clearly on the CROKE PARK list of players that had signed TRANSFER PAPERS that the player in question had TRANSFERRED on JUNE 1st 2017. and he played for his club on June 3rd. The club then loses the game and is fined. End of story.!!!

dontknow (Galway) - Posts: 262 - 11/07/2017 15:16:20    2015007

Link

Replying To dontknow:  "Posted this question before, what has the hurlers chances of winning an All Ireland got to do with a club fielding an ILLEGAL PLAYER IN CHAMPIONSHIP GAME??? Having seen the hurling Cork/Waterford played at the weekend, there will have to be a better reason put forward when we don't the All Ireland. Rules are rules and it states quite clearly on the CROKE PARK list of players that had signed TRANSFER PAPERS that the player in question had TRANSFERRED on JUNE 1st 2017. and he played for his club on June 3rd. The club then loses the game and is fined. End of story.!!!"
Spot on, typical Galway, sweep it under the carpet. The fact that it isn't the first time is amazing. If the Gaa allow this be swept under the carpet it will completely undermine the rule nationally. The crap about burying it so as it doesn't hinder the pursuit for Liam Mc Carthy is nonsense, particularly when team mates are beating seven different types of sh out of each other in recent club C'ship games.

moc.dna (Galway) - Posts: 1030 - 11/07/2017 19:11:32    2015178

Link

Replying To moc.dna:  "Spot on, typical Galway, sweep it under the carpet. The fact that it isn't the first time is amazing. If the Gaa allow this be swept under the carpet it will completely undermine the rule nationally. The crap about burying it so as it doesn't hinder the pursuit for Liam Mc Carthy is nonsense, particularly when team mates are beating seven different types of sh out of each other in recent club C'ship games."
Get over it lads no rules broken, wonder what part of galway ye re from?

tommie (Galway) - Posts: 65 - 11/07/2017 22:23:51    2015297

Link

Replying To tommie:  "Get over it lads no rules broken, wonder what part of galway ye re from?"
The part that abides by the rules, I have no link to any team in that group unlike yourself but the rules are there for a reason, just that in Galway they apply to some & not to others.

moc.dna (Galway) - Posts: 1030 - 12/07/2017 00:49:45    2015347

Link