Fermanagh Forum

National Football League Division 2 - 2017

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To erneboy:  "HT Meath 2-06 Fermanagh 0-04. Not very promising looking. Sean Quigley (2pt), Ryan Lyons (1pt), Kane Connor (1pt). Mickey Jones off (questionable black card). Goalkeeping questionable too! macca is just to the left of me and is giving off stink about McGrath's selection and game plan."
FT Meath 3-15 Fermanagh 0-06. Terrible bad performance from out team with only 2pts to offer in the 2nd half. Then there is the goalkeeping issue with 7 goals netted in the last 2 games which was manned by Snow. Enough said!

erneboy (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1320 - 26/03/2017 16:42:50    1971194

Link

Replying To erneboy:  "FT Meath 3-15 Fermanagh 0-06. Terrible bad performance from out team with only 2pts to offer in the 2nd half. Then there is the goalkeeping issue with 7 goals netted in the last 2 games which was manned by Snow. Enough said!"
I hope this this updated league table displays properly from mobile.
NFL Division 2
Team P W D L +/- Pts.
1 Kildare 6 5 0 1 33 10
2 Galway 6 4 1 1 30 9
3 Meath 6 3 1 2 22 7
4 Cork 6 2 2 2 -2 6
5 Clare 6 2 1 3 0 5
6 Down 6 2 0 4 -18 4
7 Fermanagh 6 2 0 4 -30 4
8 Derry 6 1 1 4 -35 3

erneboy (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1320 - 26/03/2017 17:00:48    1971226

Link

Ah least the sun was out(though cool breeze but thats least had to worry about in Navan). Awful performance by Fermanagh,worst in years. Every team can have a bad day,Kildare was it we thought but thats twice now in short space of time which is hugely worrying.

Decent opening 5 mins,2 points up and Breen chance for a goal wide,after that was really pitiful in all honesty,Meath drove through Fermanagh every time they ran at the defence and could have had 4 goals easily in first half. Then when Fermanagh had the ball,|(which had fair share of),endless handpasses back and forward, usually to men tightly marked or most frustratingly running straight into Meath men and being dispossed. Players seem intent on running into trouble,todays game was on wide open pitch yet players trying to drive through middle,Meath in fairness prssed the ball with good intensity and workrate but we certainly didnt help our own cause.

With Corrigan out injured really exposes the lack of score threat,especially with Quigley roving deeper,although he was poor today the quality of ball into the forwards at times was poor not even 30/70 ball usually.
Eoin Donnelly definitely didnt look himself today,like a player drained or carrying an injury. As stated above,7 goals i his last two games show that Treacy is perhaps best option in goals for next week and championship, Snows small stature exposed again for third goal.

One moment summed up todays display,midway through second half Courtney had a line ball and not one white shirt was moving or looking to receive it.

Given some of the performances to date, Fermanagh are very lucky to still be in a position to stay up going into next weekends match v Derry,although hard to see them getting result based on current form,pray that im wrong though.

macca999 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 922 - 26/03/2017 18:12:07    1971296

Link

Replying To erneboy:  "I hope this this updated league table displays properly from mobile.
NFL Division 2
Team P W D L +/- Pts.
1 Kildare 6 5 0 1 33 10
2 Galway 6 4 1 1 30 9
3 Meath 6 3 1 2 22 7
4 Cork 6 2 2 2 -2 6
5 Clare 6 2 1 3 0 5
6 Down 6 2 0 4 -18 4
8 Derry 6 1 1 4 -35 3"
Back home now and I still find it hard to believe the stark difference in today's performance compared with last Sunday. I don't see Meath as being exceptional but it appears to be down solely to how our players weren't given the opportunity often enough to break through Meath's defence. Unless for Kane Connor, the rest of the Fermanagh bunch certainly under performed, were stopped in their tracks and seemed to lack the will to win. If this attitude prevails next week against Derry then Fermanagh is doomed. Anyway to update who played and scored here are the details: the Fermanagh starting team - Christopher Snow; Mickey Jones, Che Cullen, Kane Connor (0-1); Conor P Murphy, Barry Mulrone, Aidan Breen; Eoin Donnelly, Lee Cullen (0-1); Paul McCusker, Ryan Jones, Ryan Lyons (0-1); Eddie Courtney (0-1 f), Sean Quigley (0-2fs), James McMahon. Subs - Tiarnan Daly for Jones (bc 30), Declan McCusker for Lyons (46), Paddy Rehill for C P Murphy (55), Ciaran Corrigan for McCusker (55), Tommy McCaffrey for Courtney (63), Tomas Corrigan for Quigley (66).

erneboy (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1320 - 26/03/2017 19:20:19    1971359

Link

Replying To erneboy:  "
Replying To erneboy:  "I hope this this updated league table displays properly from mobile.
NFL Division 2
Team P W D L +/- Pts.
1 Kildare 6 5 0 1 33 10
2 Galway 6 4 1 1 30 9
3 Meath 6 3 1 2 22 7
4 Cork 6 2 2 2 -2 6
5 Clare 6 2 1 3 0 5
6 Down 6 2 0 4 -18 4
8 Derry 6 1 1 4 -35 3"
Back home now and I still find it hard to believe the stark difference in today's performance compared with last Sunday. I don't see Meath as being exceptional but it appears to be down solely to how our players weren't given the opportunity often enough to break through Meath's defence. Unless for Kane Connor, the rest of the Fermanagh bunch certainly under performed, were stopped in their tracks and seemed to lack the will to win. If this attitude prevails next week against Derry then Fermanagh is doomed. Anyway to update who played and scored here are the details: the Fermanagh starting team - Christopher Snow; Mickey Jones, Che Cullen, Kane Connor (0-1); Conor P Murphy, Barry Mulrone, Aidan Breen; Eoin Donnelly, Lee Cullen (0-1); Paul McCusker, Ryan Jones, Ryan Lyons (0-1); Eddie Courtney (0-1 f), Sean Quigley (0-2fs), James McMahon. Subs - Tiarnan Daly for Jones (bc 30), Declan McCusker for Lyons (46), Paddy Rehill for C P Murphy (55), Ciaran Corrigan for McCusker (55), Tommy McCaffrey for Courtney (63), Tomas Corrigan for Quigley (66)."
Believe it or not Fermanagh actually went up a place this morning. Jesus that was an awful performance. Snow needs to be dropped, although it didn't have an impact on the final result. Once we go behind heads seem to drop. What the hell is going on here?

gotmilk (Fermanagh) - Posts: 4971 - 26/03/2017 23:04:56    1971542

Link

Hard luck yesterday lads, really couldn't understand why the Fermanagh GK was taking short kicks in the 1st half with a gale behind him, really crazy stuff, most of the short kick outs resulted in possession lost also. Thought your number 8 was very good.

AthboyCelt (Meath) - Posts: 114 - 27/03/2017 10:34:29    1971664

Link

Fermanagh's hammering yesterday doesn't bode well for confidence about next week's showdown that will determine whether or not they fall through the trapdoor to division three. If McGrath thinks that Derry will be easy to overcome then he is living in cuckoo land. There were so many shortfalls yesterday that it amounted to a catastrophic failure of management.

Division 2 status after yesterday
Team P W D L +/- Pts.
1 Kildare 6 5 0 1 33 10
2 Galway 6 4 1 1 30 9
3 Meath 6 3 1 2 22 7
4 Cork 6 2 2 2 -2 6
5 Clare 6 2 1 3 0 5
6 Fermanagh 6 2 0 4 -30 4
7 Down 6 2 0 4 -18 4
8 Derry 6 1 1 4 -35 3

My predictions for round 7 Sun 02 April 201714:00
Division 2
Galway v Kildare (Galway win)
Fermanagh v Derry (Derry win)
Cork v Down (Cork win)
Clare v Meath (Meath win)

If my predictions come to pass then Fermanagh and Down fall through the trapdoor and then repercussions will follow!

BigToeJoe (Fermanagh) - Posts: 134 - 27/03/2017 10:37:17    1971666

Link

We still havnt recovered from that 2nd half galway display...the away games have been so dissapointing in that we havnt even been competitve....yet the 2 we have won havnt been competitive either from the oppositions point of view...going in to the final game I think there will be alot of doubts in players minds with confidence very low....derry know how to get scores and they have a good few players back....sad way for mcgrath to bow out from leauge football if we lose......

going 20/25min spells without a score has obviously cost us these games, with the right attitude that shouldnt happen at home on sunday..

Can anyone tell me what is the advantage of keeper rotation? I know it had no bearing on the final score but snows lack of assertiveness on his kicksout sends confusion through th whole team...he has had an awful record in every game hes played.

abitawit (Fermanagh) - Posts: 274 - 27/03/2017 13:11:59    1971778

Link

id still rather be rebuilding next year in Div 2 than Div 3. We've had 3 nightmare away matches and some good home form. We were caught out with no kick out plan B in 2nd half against Galway which essentially cost us the game, with yes Snow in goals. We could and should beat Derry if we bring the same intensity to Sunday that we brought against Clare. Clare are a damm good side but could still go down so that amazing home match cant be ignored. If we do lose to Derry then we deserve Div 3. So the players have alot of soul searching to do this week and I hope they give us a loud answer on Sunday and not a whimpering exit from Div 2 at the hands of Derry.
I read some comment about the team bus delayed on Sunday by a RTA on M3.. so where the team stuck on the bus for hours or something and had zero time to warm up??
We need an answer on Sunday otherwise serious questions are coming for current management

AnBuachaillGlas (Fermanagh) - Posts: 287 - 27/03/2017 14:47:17    1971833

Link

Replying To AnBuachaillGlas:  "id still rather be rebuilding next year in Div 2 than Div 3. We've had 3 nightmare away matches and some good home form. We were caught out with no kick out plan B in 2nd half against Galway which essentially cost us the game, with yes Snow in goals. We could and should beat Derry if we bring the same intensity to Sunday that we brought against Clare. Clare are a damm good side but could still go down so that amazing home match cant be ignored. If we do lose to Derry then we deserve Div 3. So the players have alot of soul searching to do this week and I hope they give us a loud answer on Sunday and not a whimpering exit from Div 2 at the hands of Derry.
I read some comment about the team bus delayed on Sunday by a RTA on M3.. so where the team stuck on the bus for hours or something and had zero time to warm up??
We need an answer on Sunday otherwise serious questions are coming for current management"
I passed the team bus on the way on the way to Navan. I got to Navan about 1:45, they were about 5/10 mins after me.

gotmilk (Fermanagh) - Posts: 4971 - 27/03/2017 19:25:51    1971991

Link

My god blaming a delay of the team bus which still arrived at 1.50pm with ample time for a warm-up before a 3pm throw-in is the lamest excuse I have heard for the mauling Meath give Fermanagh yesterday.

Yesterday'smauling is not just a one off but is it addition to the maulings by Galway, Kildare and to some extent by Cork. Now if Derry dish out the same treatment come Sunday, then this must be the end of the road for McGrath. Maybe dropping to division 2 would present a new manager an opportunity to do what O'Neill done some years ago and that was to have a fresh start .

YesterdaysMan (Fermanagh) - Posts: 732 - 27/03/2017 22:54:24    1972087

Link

Replying To YesterdaysMan:  "My god blaming a delay of the team bus which still arrived at 1.50pm with ample time for a warm-up before a 3pm throw-in is the lamest excuse I have heard for the mauling Meath give Fermanagh yesterday.

Yesterday'smauling is not just a one off but is it addition to the maulings by Galway, Kildare and to some extent by Cork. Now if Derry dish out the same treatment come Sunday, then this must be the end of the road for McGrath. Maybe dropping to division 2 would present a new manager an opportunity to do what O'Neill done some years ago and that was to have a fresh start ."
i was enquiring about the delay not offering it as an excuse and if you bang that drum about ONeill one more time i'll lose what tiny bit of resepect I have left for ya. You are right though Sunday is crossroads day for this team and management structure
by the way I wouldnt put Galway match down as a hammering....last 20 mins they just one all of Snows kickouts and we were rudderless

AnBuachaillGlas (Fermanagh) - Posts: 287 - 28/03/2017 11:23:52    1972185

Link

I see plenty of you taking flakes of Snow about his role in the nets but is he really the problem or is it just convenient to use him as a scapegoat?

The_Rat (Fermanagh) - Posts: 44 - 28/03/2017 13:12:25    1972230

Link

Well clearly goal keeper rotation ain't working ... snow is weak under high ball and laboured over kick outs so yeah he's one of 6 or 8 under performers this league season ... So is it the system ? Is it the players is it the attitude ? Is it fitness ? I'm at a loss how hot n cold we've blown this season

AnBuachaillGlas (Fermanagh) - Posts: 287 - 28/03/2017 22:33:34    1972575

Link

I'm actually surprised at some of the posts here. Fermanagh - "round peg in a square hole". There is too many players put into positions that are not their natural positions. Every line has some questionable decisions in terms of choices one for example is the corner back position.. James McMahon, Kane Connors and I'm sure Clucker ended up in corner back vs Kildare. After Cian got the red card vs Galway he hasn't got a sniff at a position at getting his position back and he would be a lot stronger than the 3 I have named at corner back. With Daily back now, you would hope that he would partner Jones & Cullen with Cian or James Allen (Don't understand why he hasn't been given more of a chance!) as backup. You can go up through the team and pick out issues. Snow has played poor, but slating him on here isn't going to do any good. Tom should be made number 1 and let Snow recover some form it training. Questions need to be asked about what is going on and where is Peter bringing this Fermanagh Squad. He already has made the u21s worse (somehow), so things need to be resolved asap,

EnoughOfTheBull (Fermanagh) - Posts: 27 - 29/03/2017 08:58:48    1972629

Link

I'm actually surprised at some of the posts here. Fermanagh - "round peg in a square hole". There is too many players put into positions that are not their natural positions. Every line has some questionable decisions in terms of choices one for example is the corner back position.. James McMahon, Kane Connors and I'm sure Clucker ended up in corner back vs Kildare. After Cian got the red card vs Galway he hasn't got a sniff at a position at getting his position back and he would be a lot stronger than the 3 I have named at corner back. With Daily back now, you would hope that he would partner Jones & Cullen with Cian or James Allen (Don't understand why he hasn't been given more of a chance!) as backup. You can go up through the team and pick out issues. Snow has played poor, but slating him on here isn't going to do any good. Tom should be made number 1 and let Snow recover some form it training. Questions need to be asked about what is going on and where is Peter bringing this Fermanagh Squad. He already has made the u21s worse (somehow), so things need to be resolved asap,

EnoughOfTheBull (Fermanagh) - Posts:25 - 29/03/2017 08:58:48

Ironic poster name if ever I seen one! although I do agree with him in that Cian McManus needs to come back in providing he's fit and able. Anyway, not sure what the craic is with thomas corrigan, is he back for sunday or what? Cant understand Teague (who will win ball in the forward line and plague defenders) not getting a fair craic. Courtney not cutting it at present despite his undoubted potential. Derry are extremely poor defensively even with the addition of mckaigue and rodgers. Needs to be exploited by pacey and hungry forwards. Leave quigley on the square. For this particular game aiden breen would be more effective higher up at wing forward, running at them early before they get a chance to filter back. Pace and Hungry players required for sunday. Keeper issue needs addressed. How he doesnt have a preferred no.1 by now is beyond me. Whilst neither has been excellent, the kick out strategy is a joke and accounts for a lot of needless scores/scoring opportunities against us, as well as putting added pressure on the GK.
We have height and strength in jones, donnelly, cullen, hyde if needed etc, so surely we should be playing to these strengths. We are giving ourselves too much rope to trip ourselves up at present I'm afraid. hope some of it can be addressed in time.

RedRum (Fermanagh) - Posts: 269 - 29/03/2017 11:19:21    1972674

Link

Replying To RedRum:  "I'm actually surprised at some of the posts here. Fermanagh - "round peg in a square hole". There is too many players put into positions that are not their natural positions. Every line has some questionable decisions in terms of choices one for example is the corner back position.. James McMahon, Kane Connors and I'm sure Clucker ended up in corner back vs Kildare. After Cian got the red card vs Galway he hasn't got a sniff at a position at getting his position back and he would be a lot stronger than the 3 I have named at corner back. With Daily back now, you would hope that he would partner Jones & Cullen with Cian or James Allen (Don't understand why he hasn't been given more of a chance!) as backup. You can go up through the team and pick out issues. Snow has played poor, but slating him on here isn't going to do any good. Tom should be made number 1 and let Snow recover some form it training. Questions need to be asked about what is going on and where is Peter bringing this Fermanagh Squad. He already has made the u21s worse (somehow), so things need to be resolved asap,

EnoughOfTheBull (Fermanagh) - Posts:25 - 29/03/2017 08:58:48

Ironic poster name if ever I seen one! although I do agree with him in that Cian McManus needs to come back in providing he's fit and able. Anyway, not sure what the craic is with thomas corrigan, is he back for sunday or what? Cant understand Teague (who will win ball in the forward line and plague defenders) not getting a fair craic. Courtney not cutting it at present despite his undoubted potential. Derry are extremely poor defensively even with the addition of mckaigue and rodgers. Needs to be exploited by pacey and hungry forwards. Leave quigley on the square. For this particular game aiden breen would be more effective higher up at wing forward, running at them early before they get a chance to filter back. Pace and Hungry players required for sunday. Keeper issue needs addressed. How he doesnt have a preferred no.1 by now is beyond me. Whilst neither has been excellent, the kick out strategy is a joke and accounts for a lot of needless scores/scoring opportunities against us, as well as putting added pressure on the GK.
We have height and strength in jones, donnelly, cullen, hyde if needed etc, so surely we should be playing to these strengths. We are giving ourselves too much rope to trip ourselves up at present I'm afraid. hope some of it can be addressed in time."
Would have to agree with call for Cian McManus to be restored to corner back,hasnt got a sniff since his red card(not sure if punished for indiscipline) but certainly think deserves to be brought in alongside Cullen and Jones. James McMahon is a 6 and although did well against Clare Kane Connor isn't long term cornet back either. Fermanagh have conceded 10 goals so far, totally unacceptable, though despite this Cullen and Jones have done reasonably well in FB line, the issue has been the half back line which has opened like M1 when ran at too often.
In the league so far, id say Fermanagh have played well for spell in second half v Down(little resistance) and first half Galway, when Quigley was deep supplying lovely ball into Courtney,though on Sunday need Quigley in full forward to get scores. The quality of ball in needs to improve,Ryan Jones kicking too many aimless or straight out lately.

Yes no word on Corrigan but way he left field again Clare id be worried about him being available which really puts pressure on Quigley and Courtney to Deliver. Eoin Donnelly needs to deliver a real performance on Sunday, has been below par by his standards lately.
Think Decky McCusker also worth putting back into the team for his energy and ball winning ability.

Massive game Sunday,big decisions to be made,needs massive performance too,so lads need as many people there to roar them on!

macca999 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 922 - 29/03/2017 13:03:03    1972728

Link

Here's my pick for a winning team that could save us from relegation:
Beacom, Cathal
Breen, Aidan
Connor, Kane
Corrigan, Tomas
Corrigan, Ciaran
Courtney, Eddie
Cullen, Che
Cullen, Lee
Daly, Tiarnan
Donnelly, Eoin
Jones, Michael
Jones, Ryan
Keenan, Daryl
Lyons, Ryan
McCaffrey, Thomas
McCluskey, Ryan
McCusker, Declan
McCusker, Paul
McMahon, James
McManus, Cian
McManus, Eoin
Mulrone, Barry
Murphy , Conor P
Quigley, Sean
Rehill, Paddy
Snow, Christopher
Treacy, Thomas

abc1234 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 395 - 29/03/2017 13:39:17    1972749

Link

Replying To abc1234:  "Here's my pick for a winning team that could save us from relegation:
Beacom, Cathal
Breen, Aidan
Connor, Kane
Corrigan, Tomas
Corrigan, Ciaran
Courtney, Eddie
Cullen, Che
Cullen, Lee
Daly, Tiarnan
Donnelly, Eoin
Jones, Michael
Jones, Ryan
Keenan, Daryl
Lyons, Ryan
McCaffrey, Thomas
McCluskey, Ryan
McCusker, Declan
McCusker, Paul
McMahon, James
McManus, Cian
McManus, Eoin
Mulrone, Barry
Murphy , Conor P
Quigley, Sean
Rehill, Paddy
Snow, Christopher
Treacy, Thomas "
I cannot see how changing a goalkeeper and corner back will solve Fermanagh's problems.

inallfairness (Fermanagh) - Posts: 25 - 31/03/2017 10:17:45    1973451

Link

D-day is nearing: Division 2 permutations going into final round

Current League positions
Pos Team P W D L F A Pts
1 Kildare 6 5 0 1 122 89 10
2 Galway 6 4 1 1 121 91 9
3 Meath 6 3 1 2 112 90 7
4 Cork 6 2 2 2 89 91 6
5 Clare 6 2 1 3 89 89 5
6 Fermanagh 6 2 0 4 76 106 4
7 Down 6 2 0 4 81 99 4
8 Derry 6 1 1 4 88 123 3

D- day Fixtures Round 7
Clare v Meath, Cusack Park
Cork v Down, Pairc Ui Rinn
Fermanagh v Derry, Brewster Park
Galway v Kildare, Pearse Stadium

Permutations:
> It's fairly predictable at the top of division two with Kildare already guaranteed promoted.
> Meanwhile, Galway should be promoted provided they duck defeat when they meet at Kildare.
> However, should Galway lose and Meath beat Clare, then Meath will overtake the tribesmen as head-to-heads outdo scoring difference when two teams only are tied.
> In respect of the rest of the bunch they are all potentially at risk of relegation (at least in theory) with Cork being about the safest due to scoring difference.
> Should Clare dodge defeat against Royal county, they'll besecure. If Down win over Cork, they'll stay up unless Fermanagh improve their outcome by 12 points. However, a draw will only be enough if Derry defeat Fermanagh.
> In the case of Derry, they definitely must beat Fermanagh and also pray that Cork do them a favour by beating Down.
> A win should be adequate for Fermanagh. However, if Down were also to win, Fermanagh's head-to-head advantage over Down would become immaterial and their poor scoring difference comes into play. In that situation, only a Clare defeat would save them from the drop.

Coa_gael (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1165 - 31/03/2017 10:50:53    1973471

Link