Galway Forum

Allianz Football League Division 1

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Many missing with injuries and club so team for first league game will have a different look. Here's the team I'd go for:

O Beolain (With Power unavailable and question marks over Lavelle's kickouts, a good chance for him to get games. Physically very strong but kickouts need work and is prone to the odd blunder)

Kerin (Has performed very well to date and dispels the myth that one must be taller. Sticky, aggressive and a great attitude on the pitch)

Sean Andy (lots of hype after his underage career but showed against comer in club championship that he is capable. Strong in the air, quick, likes to attack the ball in the mould of traditional full backs)

Kyne (mulkerrin bit raw so would stick with kyne to start. Strong and determined but limited and can get badly exposed when one on one but defends well in bunches, Walshes style suits him when it works)

Sweeney (was our best defender in 2015, absent in 2016 and didn't manage to capture same form last year. Can be sticky and likes to support the attack so wing back could be a good role for him)

Duane (centre back underage and club, needs a chance here for Galway. Not the quickest but good reader of game and strong in air, could be a decent option for short kickouts as is good on ball)

Heaney (can blow hot and cold but has rapid pace and good engine. Not afraid to take a shot and has good attacking instincts.)

Conroy (seems to have gotten too comfortable and is guilty of being too casual in possession. Needs to improve distribution and general influence on games because has potential.)

Cooke (able to compete in air and break ball, is good on ball and can shoot. Can be lazy however and needs to display better work rate. Flynn has been given enough chances so no harm seeing what Cooke can do)

Brannigan (was excellent in 2016 but struggled last year. Can cause huge problems when he runs at teams, if he can improve his scoring ability he can be a huge player)

Walsh (hasn't really done it at senior level despite all the chances. Needs to start performing. Incredible acceleration and pace that could destroy teams if he ran at them. Could be a great option for quick kickouts too by breaking away from his marker and running into space.)

Sean Kelly (bit left field but not too many options. Jinky runner and is great at picking up loose ball. Very similar to brannigan.)

McHugh (his frees are a huge reason Galway are in division 1. A good free taker is worth their place in any team. Cooke, Walsh et al aren't as consistent. Needs to add more from play but his frees would make him automatic for me)

Comer (would be my pick for captain for season, needs to start adding more scores to his game to get to next level. With good support play around him, he could ruin some defences)

Varley (great ball winner but doesn't score enough, I don't know enough about Cunningham to suggest picking him. Coneely is a little poacher but could see him as a sub. Sweeney is another good ball winner but varley has searing pace and can win frees)

I'd imagine Walsh will pick Flynn wynne and Bradshaw in his team but think they're no better than what's suggested so would like to see him take a chance on new faces. Some 50/50 games this year like Monaghan Kildare Donegal even Tyrone. With some luck we could even nick another win. Likewise we could also lose any of those 50/50s. Hopefully we can stay up

jobseekersbent (Galway) - Posts: 324 - 20/01/2018 19:34:22    2069505

Link

Replying To OhtobeARossie:  "Is Tom Flynn injured?"
No he's not as far as I know, he played very well in midfield against Sligo in the first half. For me its between himself and Cooke to partner Conroy in midfield this year

galwayfootball1 (Galway) - Posts: 249 - 20/01/2018 20:32:57    2069521

Link

Replying To galwayfootball1:  "No he's not as far as I know, he played very well in midfield against Sligo in the first half. For me its between himself and Cooke to partner Conroy in midfield this year"
If KW goes with Conroy again this year, then we're going nowhere. It's easy to look good against half baked midfield partnerships in FBD, but his performances in big championship matches over the last number of years have been abject. Time also, to move on from Flynn and O'Currain, and give youth a fair chance. I'd be interested in trying Cooke and Comer here - would bring speed and power to this critical area. I'd also be hoping Darcy and Maher can, in time, step up and prove to be serious midfield options. We're lucky in the sense that the underage talent coming through is not short on physicality - we have no option now but to give these lads game time.

Really (Galway) - Posts: 394 - 21/01/2018 02:29:14    2069569

Link

Replying To Really:  "If KW goes with Conroy again this year, then we're going nowhere. It's easy to look good against half baked midfield partnerships in FBD, but his performances in big championship matches over the last number of years have been abject. Time also, to move on from Flynn and O'Currain, and give youth a fair chance. I'd be interested in trying Cooke and Comer here - would bring speed and power to this critical area. I'd also be hoping Darcy and Maher can, in time, step up and prove to be serious midfield options. We're lucky in the sense that the underage talent coming through is not short on physicality - we have no option now but to give these lads game time."
agree with you on conroy and fintan. kevin walsh will stick with them though.

jj19 (Galway) - Posts: 442 - 21/01/2018 11:57:18    2069623

Link

Replying To Really:  "If KW goes with Conroy again this year, then we're going nowhere. It's easy to look good against half baked midfield partnerships in FBD, but his performances in big championship matches over the last number of years have been abject. Time also, to move on from Flynn and O'Currain, and give youth a fair chance. I'd be interested in trying Cooke and Comer here - would bring speed and power to this critical area. I'd also be hoping Darcy and Maher can, in time, step up and prove to be serious midfield options. We're lucky in the sense that the underage talent coming through is not short on physicality - we have no option now but to give these lads game time."
To be fair if that's how you looked at the big championship games we lost over the last number of years you would drop about 12 or 13 of them. The young lads will need at least 3 or 4 years before they are strong enough for the middle of the field and from what I have seen of them in underage and club games I'm not sure if they will ever be good enough. In fairness to Conroy he always makes good use of the ball and is very good to kick a score and set up a score, his big problem is his ball winning ability and its something that never improved over the years. Still we have no one else with his football brain in the middle third and he is very important to us for that alone. Who will partner him its hard to know but Flynn will be 26 this year and its probably now or never for him. I could never see anything in O Currain at all and think Cooke looks a good footballer and very good free taker

galwayfootball1 (Galway) - Posts: 249 - 21/01/2018 13:21:51    2069644

Link

Replying To jobseekersbent:  "Many missing with injuries and club so team for first league game will have a different look. Here's the team I'd go for:

O Beolain (With Power unavailable and question marks over Lavelle's kickouts, a good chance for him to get games. Physically very strong but kickouts need work and is prone to the odd blunder)

Kerin (Has performed very well to date and dispels the myth that one must be taller. Sticky, aggressive and a great attitude on the pitch)

Sean Andy (lots of hype after his underage career but showed against comer in club championship that he is capable. Strong in the air, quick, likes to attack the ball in the mould of traditional full backs)

Kyne (mulkerrin bit raw so would stick with kyne to start. Strong and determined but limited and can get badly exposed when one on one but defends well in bunches, Walshes style suits him when it works)

Sweeney (was our best defender in 2015, absent in 2016 and didn't manage to capture same form last year. Can be sticky and likes to support the attack so wing back could be a good role for him)

Duane (centre back underage and club, needs a chance here for Galway. Not the quickest but good reader of game and strong in air, could be a decent option for short kickouts as is good on ball)

Heaney (can blow hot and cold but has rapid pace and good engine. Not afraid to take a shot and has good attacking instincts.)

Conroy (seems to have gotten too comfortable and is guilty of being too casual in possession. Needs to improve distribution and general influence on games because has potential.)

Cooke (able to compete in air and break ball, is good on ball and can shoot. Can be lazy however and needs to display better work rate. Flynn has been given enough chances so no harm seeing what Cooke can do)

Brannigan (was excellent in 2016 but struggled last year. Can cause huge problems when he runs at teams, if he can improve his scoring ability he can be a huge player)

Walsh (hasn't really done it at senior level despite all the chances. Needs to start performing. Incredible acceleration and pace that could destroy teams if he ran at them. Could be a great option for quick kickouts too by breaking away from his marker and running into space.)

Sean Kelly (bit left field but not too many options. Jinky runner and is great at picking up loose ball. Very similar to brannigan.)

McHugh (his frees are a huge reason Galway are in division 1. A good free taker is worth their place in any team. Cooke, Walsh et al aren't as consistent. Needs to add more from play but his frees would make him automatic for me)

Comer (would be my pick for captain for season, needs to start adding more scores to his game to get to next level. With good support play around him, he could ruin some defences)

Varley (great ball winner but doesn't score enough, I don't know enough about Cunningham to suggest picking him. Coneely is a little poacher but could see him as a sub. Sweeney is another good ball winner but varley has searing pace and can win frees)

I'd imagine Walsh will pick Flynn wynne and Bradshaw in his team but think they're no better than what's suggested so would like to see him take a chance on new faces. Some 50/50 games this year like Monaghan Kildare Donegal even Tyrone. With some luck we could even nick another win. Likewise we could also lose any of those 50/50s. Hopefully we can stay up"
Agree mostly with that team. I think its the one walsh will go with. I'd be a bit worried about starting Sean Andy as he's gotten sent off in all the games he's started in so far but im sure its been drilled into him to become more disciplined could see kyne getting the nod though, its a big step up from u21 to div1 but he does look ready. Kelly I think has a great future but is too light right now to be able to go up against div1 teams. A big problem we have besides comer, mchugh, army and burke (though hes only played a few games) is the fact from midfield to our full forward line all our other players are inconsistent. I think our defenders get too much of the blame when they do clear the ball our forwards don't convert the scores. Some of our forwards are brilliant and unlike some on here I'd rate all of them. If the inconsistency stopped we would stay up in div1 I don't think we're anywhere near winning an AI but we have a good team and if they performed to the best of their abilities we could give every team a rattle.

Forgot captaincy was up for discussion with o Donnell out injured yes Comer would be a great captain . Great player and always turns up and I really feel he thinks we can win every game we play

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1281 - 21/01/2018 14:22:24    2069665

Link

Replying To galwayfootball1:  "To be fair if that's how you looked at the big championship games we lost over the last number of years you would drop about 12 or 13 of them. The young lads will need at least 3 or 4 years before they are strong enough for the middle of the field and from what I have seen of them in underage and club games I'm not sure if they will ever be good enough. In fairness to Conroy he always makes good use of the ball and is very good to kick a score and set up a score, his big problem is his ball winning ability and its something that never improved over the years. Still we have no one else with his football brain in the middle third and he is very important to us for that alone. Who will partner him its hard to know but Flynn will be 26 this year and its probably now or never for him. I could never see anything in O Currain at all and think Cooke looks a good footballer and very good free taker"
I know it might sound harsh, but to me, team leadership, has a defining influence on how other team members perform on big days. e.g. the hurlers have had more or less the same personnel for the last number of years - but Micheal D. decided to give the captaincy to David Burke for 2017. The difference was/is palpable. Conroy has been entrusted with team leadership over the last number of years, and at the end of big games, generally throws a "strop" to get himself sent of, and a few "sheep" usually follow him.. Walsh is another player given too much leeway. I know compromise rules is a different game, but he certainly ain't a McManus or Murphy. I would like to see Comer as captain, freed up to play at midfield, and I think he would be excellent in bringing on the younger lads. No other option imho..

Really (Galway) - Posts: 394 - 21/01/2018 17:25:11    2069701

Link

Replying To Really:  "I know it might sound harsh, but to me, team leadership, has a defining influence on how other team members perform on big days. e.g. the hurlers have had more or less the same personnel for the last number of years - but Micheal D. decided to give the captaincy to David Burke for 2017. The difference was/is palpable. Conroy has been entrusted with team leadership over the last number of years, and at the end of big games, generally throws a "strop" to get himself sent of, and a few "sheep" usually follow him.. Walsh is another player given too much leeway. I know compromise rules is a different game, but he certainly ain't a McManus or Murphy. I would like to see Comer as captain, freed up to play at midfield, and I think he would be excellent in bringing on the younger lads. No other option imho.."
Id see Comer as another player yet to fully produce, even last year against Mayo he clearly had the beating of Ger Cafferky and he only scored two points, he didn't do much against Kerry or Donegal either and even though I think he has the potential to be a great full forward for us he just hasn't done it yet. Iv seen him midfield for his club and I'm not sure he has an engine for it out there and not quite tall enough either. the picking of the captain is a difficult one for me there is a lot of good players in line for it but no stand out one. I could see Comer getting it at some stage though. Shane Walsh is just another one yet to produce but in fairness to Kevin Walsh hes only picking the best players in the county, if the players with the ability don't do it for us the players without ability definitely wont

galwayfootball1 (Galway) - Posts: 249 - 21/01/2018 20:57:33    2069736

Link

agree totally on comer but for me he should be played at full forward and left there and shane should be left at 11 and left there... we need to do something similar with full back line kerin sean andy and mulkerrin/kyne

three years in and we still dont havea settled team....need to get to that point asaop

squares_edge (Galway) - Posts: 602 - 21/01/2018 22:00:45    2069749

Link

Forwards wise Comer can be 14 or 11. Sometimes a team can crowd him out at 14 so 11 is better. All depends on how game pans out.

Our middle third lacks aggression (not strength), they can get up for a game against Mayo but not others. We need some payers in there with natural aggression. Going Cooke or one of younger lads can being this. Eg Flynn is class when he drives at teams but once a year is no good.

Backs wise of SA solves fb and we sheet no 6 you'd be amazed how good everyone else would look around them. Pivotal positions.

First game crucial.

Gaillimh abù

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1321 - 21/01/2018 23:22:56    2069759

Link

Replying To Mayonman:  "Forwards wise Comer can be 14 or 11. Sometimes a team can crowd him out at 14 so 11 is better. All depends on how game pans out.

Our middle third lacks aggression (not strength), they can get up for a game against Mayo but not others. We need some payers in there with natural aggression. Going Cooke or one of younger lads can being this. Eg Flynn is class when he drives at teams but once a year is no good.

Backs wise of SA solves fb and we sheet no 6 you'd be amazed how good everyone else would look around them. Pivotal positions.

First game crucial.

Gaillimh abù"
Two or three FBD games and you think SA is our answer at fb? I hope he is but i not going to jump on the bandwagon. Lets see hiw he fairs in the league first of all.

galwayfan (None) - Posts: 747 - 22/01/2018 18:53:00    2069946

Link

Replying To galwayfan:  "Two or three FBD games and you think SA is our answer at fb? I hope he is but i not going to jump on the bandwagon. Lets see hiw he fairs in the league first of all."
If u read my post auto correct turned an "if" to an "of"! It was meant to read if Sean Andy solves fb.

To tell u the truth I an pinning my hopes on him for a while! But ur spot on. It is a lot to ask of a young lads to come in fb in any team never mind one that will be up against it and do well.

Even if he struggles he should be persevered with because I do think he will solve it long term.

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1321 - 22/01/2018 21:27:55    2069982

Link

If the FBD game was called of 2 days ago due to an unplayable pitch then the Tyrone fixture must be a major doubt, with a huge amount of rain already and much more forecast.

giveitlong (Galway) - Posts: 1043 - 23/01/2018 09:48:45    2070028

Link

The best daylight Winter pitch in Connacht is Duggan Park, Ballinasloe. Why are these dodgy fixtures not rerouted there?

maroondiesel (Mayo) - Posts: 1064 - 23/01/2018 19:05:04    2070192

Link

Replying To maroondiesel:  "The best daylight Winter pitch in Connacht is Duggan Park, Ballinasloe. Why are these dodgy fixtures not rerouted there?"
I simply mustn't disagree. de best pitches are always that side of de country. I have a good feeling about this year folks!

BigNualaBurke (Galway) - Posts: 80 - 23/01/2018 22:27:23    2070236

Link

Any news of a team for Sunday??

giveitlong (Galway) - Posts: 1043 - 26/01/2018 09:08:19    2070708

Link

Replying To galwayfootball1:  "Id see Comer as another player yet to fully produce, even last year against Mayo he clearly had the beating of Ger Cafferky and he only scored two points, he didn't do much against Kerry or Donegal either and even though I think he has the potential to be a great full forward for us he just hasn't done it yet. Iv seen him midfield for his club and I'm not sure he has an engine for it out there and not quite tall enough either. the picking of the captain is a difficult one for me there is a lot of good players in line for it but no stand out one. I could see Comer getting it at some stage though. Shane Walsh is just another one yet to produce but in fairness to Kevin Walsh hes only picking the best players in the county, if the players with the ability don't do it for us the players without ability definitely wont"
Think Comer really needs to improve his vision to take the next step up. He tends to get the ball, put the head down and run straight at goal. It's great being direct and he's a handful but I think he's quite predicable at the moment. Needs to vary his game more I feel.

Marooned (Galway) - Posts: 1812 - 27/01/2018 03:54:59    2070978

Link

Congrats on your win at the weekend. Impressive stuff against a very solid Tyrone team.

Just to let all people travelling to Letterkenny on Sunday that the N13 will be closed on the Letterkenny side of Ballybofey due to Road Works. Diversions will be in place but I would advise you to allow an extra 45 mins or so on your journey. There is local roads to take to avoid the disruption but the best road would be to continue through Ballybofey to Lifford and then on to Letterkenny.

Safe travels to all but hopefully you leave us the points!

Tir Conaill Abu (Donegal) - Posts: 1636 - 29/01/2018 10:22:50    2071796

Link

Replying To Tir Conaill Abu:  "Congrats on your win at the weekend. Impressive stuff against a very solid Tyrone team.

Just to let all people travelling to Letterkenny on Sunday that the N13 will be closed on the Letterkenny side of Ballybofey due to Road Works. Diversions will be in place but I would advise you to allow an extra 45 mins or so on your journey. There is local roads to take to avoid the disruption but the best road would be to continue through Ballybofey to Lifford and then on to Letterkenny.

Safe travels to all but hopefully you leave us the points!"
Much Appreciated! Donegal looked good and I'd say they're out for revenge after last year but hopefully we'll be able to handle it. Very unlucky that ye didn't get at least a point out of the kerry game

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1281 - 29/01/2018 12:48:08    2071901

Link