Limerick Forum

Official Limerick Senior Hurling 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To jimbob50:  "Three now in my life time so far, so proud its been such a privilege to have watched these lads from minor up to being all Ireland champions. Best limerick squad I've ever seen and very importantly they will inspire the players of the future.
Ps congrats to the minor squad yesterday on a great win and well done to the 20s on a tough battle pushing it to extra time although coming up short in the end. Ye will be back.

Time to enjoy being champions now Luimneach Abu."
Well said jimbob... you speak for me with "3 in my lifetime "club. Absolute joy after all the barren years.

Huge credit to astute management and dedication of players. Long may it continue... one make sus goo two makes us great... Dare to dream (of more)

PatOLogical (Limerick) - Posts: 1193 - 14/12/2020 03:53:47    2322190

Link

Replying To skillet:  "I remember being so despondent after we lost to Kilkenny in 2017, had played Clare before that in munster and lost both games.
Championship over.

2 games I felt we should have won. But in typical Limerick fashion let them slip away...

I was so negative at the start of 2018 i was actually afraid we were going to slide down the ladder and end up like Offaly. My God was I wrong..

One of earliest memories I have as a child was seeing limerick lose to Galway in the 1980 final. Like a lot of people on here the misery of supporting limerick through the barren years meant that I had become cynical about ever seeing us win an all Ireland.
I genuinely felt that I would never be fortunate enough to see us lift the Liam Mccarthy cup.

Now, we've done it twice in 3 years... There are no words to describe how happy I feel. How privileged to see a Limerick team dominate and win like the team of the 30s.
Thank you so much John Kiely and everyone involved in Limerick hurling.
These are great days.. Luimneach Abu!!"
No offence but it was pretty ridiculous to have been that negative at the start of 18 considering you could see the lads we had coming through and 17 was only their first year and management's first year...

blackspot91 (Limerick) - Posts: 1018 - 14/12/2020 05:39:27    2322194

Link

Replying To welpastit:  "We've met each other Oldtourman at league games when there was barely a thousand there and you had a 2 or 3 hour drive to get there. There will be a lot of fair weather fans for a few years to come I suspect but no one could ever level that accusation at you. Sincere congratulations to you and people like you who have always been there. These are great days let's hope there's a few more to come. Up the treaty. Looking forward to seeing you as soon as possible in Gaelic Grounds. God bless and happy Xmas"
We were all disappointed after 2017, remember going up to salthill to play galway in 2018 hardly 300 limerick supporters there, a game we won after a poor start. Young flannagan springs to mind, that for me was the start of the good times. Due to club commitments a lot of the Nap team were unavailable so other lads got their chance and took it. It was so frustrating being in the B division up to then.
Lots of cold wet days and evenings watching games against offaly, kerry, laois and the Banner.
Mind you anyone who was at the gaelic grounds for the clare game that went to 65s won't forget it.

For me when I think back to 2013 all through the league when hardly anyone was at the matches and even the first games of the championship how well Declan Hannon played almost single handedly driving limerick on to munster glory, then in the semi final v clare things didn't go well for Declan or the team. during the match and even worse afterwards the abuse that man got from clowns that hadn't been to a match up to that was sickening, I'm sure plenty won't enjoy me saying the now.

Then on to 2018 and 2020 so proud to see Declan raising that trophy and making great speech.

jimbob50 (Limerick) - Posts: 83 - 14/12/2020 09:21:22    2322208

Link

Replying To Mads:  "In heaven. Super performance by a brilliant team. So well deserved. Saved the best until last. Even to hear that the great Kilkenny team didn't win every game in a season is something else"
Congratulations Limerick well deserved not beaten all year should now have 3 in a row in the Bag.

Will be winning for years to come could emulate the Great Kilkenny Team over next 6/7 years

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 593 - 14/12/2020 09:25:47    2322210

Link

Happy Xmas to all Limerick fans, these are great times for us and not to be taken for granted. Cant say how much I appreciate what this group has done and how they represent us. Huge congrats to Kiely and his backroom team also. Absolutely awesome performance yesterday in every way. I know some players will get more attention than others but to me, it was the best display of teamwork (from defence to attack) I've ever seen on a pitch. Well done too to the minors and 20's on excellent performances this weekend also, the future seems pretty bright that way too.

ImokillyMan (Cork) - Posts: 218 - 14/12/2020 09:28:07    2322211

Link

Thank you to all involved ! - don't think we can comprehend and even envisage the sacrifice they've all committed to this ....... players and just as much all the backroom team.

Performance was exceptional across the board, think the frees kept Waterford in it for as long as they were - i know we committed a lot of fouls and gave away frees but think this was in an effort not to allow Waterford gain any confidence or build any momentum - take your point from a free but it wasn't from play which would have more than likely materialized if not for the foul, also a lot of times forcing turnovers which we weren't penalized for but playing right on the verge.

Does anyone think we would ever be here ? - 2 AI's in 3 years, people commending us for our team and us being in the place we envied of others for years - we are lucky to be from Limerick and lucky to have this team, group, togetherness, work ethic married with natural ability and intense focus and attention to detail

Thank you again one and all, one very happy and previously 'long suffering Limerick hurling fan' !

LimkABU (Limerick) - Posts: 62 - 14/12/2020 11:23:22    2322244

Link

well done limerick.........awesome performance..will make for a good christmas im sure

club51 (Mayo) - Posts: 343 - 14/12/2020 11:30:03    2322248

Link

Replying To blackspot91:  "No offence but it was pretty ridiculous to have been that negative at the start of 18 considering you could see the lads we had coming through and 17 was only their first year and management's first year..."
No offence taken. It was just my mindset at the time. Had seen the 3 in a row u21 team turn into nothing at senior.
I genuinely thought that Id never see a senior all Ireland. Stupid in hindsight but it's where I was at.

skillet (Limerick) - Posts: 776 - 14/12/2020 13:32:02    2322283

Link

Growing up as a child I never ever thought we'd see days like this.

Brilliant :-)

slayer (Limerick) - Posts: 6218 - 14/12/2020 14:37:27    2322313

Link

They are an amazing team and I'm really happy for myself because they've backed up all the stuff that I've thought and said about them over the course of the past five years. This is an incredibly talented group (including the backroom team) and I believe that they will eventually be shown to be the best ever Limerick team.

They will have Mike Casey and Ritchie English back next year. David Dempsey missed the majority of the championship and there are young players in the panel that have the capability to make a difference at senior level.

Also the context is changing as we will probably see some great individual players like Canning, Reid, Horgan, Callinan and the two Mahers retire in the next few years and I'm not seeing a major crop of superstars emerging to take their places. I look around as I see a very competitive landscape but none of them are anywhere near Limerick's standing. KK in particular have slipped back. Remember that they didn't just get blown out by Waterford in the second half. Dublin did the same thing to them and came up desperately short. Cork have commenced a rebuild and Tipp must be contemplating the same. I still think that Galway are the biggest threat in the near term and I'd continue to be wary of our Clare neighbors but right now, we're ahead and it's not even close.

Dealer (Limerick) - Posts: 745 - 14/12/2020 16:24:06    2322342

Link

Well done to Limerick on an outstanding performance yesterday. Limk dominated from start to finish and never let Waterford gain any momentum to get any foothold in the game. Limk were a class apart from any other team in this year championship and never really looked in any danger over the 5 games. 2 key points in this years campaign over last year were the redeployment of Kyle Hayes to wing back(a masterstroke from Kiely) and the return to form of Seamus Flannigan. Hayes added a new attacking dimension down the left wing avoiding the congestion the mid field area and his delivery of ball particularly yesterday to the inside forwards was excellent. He was on course for motm until Hego tour de force in the second half. We really missed Flannerys strength last year and he offered more options in attack witch was a telling factor. The future is very bright. Luimneach Abu.

journeyman (Limerick) - Posts: 42 - 14/12/2020 17:48:01    2322372

Link

Replying To jimbob50:  "We were all disappointed after 2017, remember going up to salthill to play galway in 2018 hardly 300 limerick supporters there, a game we won after a poor start. Young flannagan springs to mind, that for me was the start of the good times. Due to club commitments a lot of the Nap team were unavailable so other lads got their chance and took it. It was so frustrating being in the B division up to then.
Lots of cold wet days and evenings watching games against offaly, kerry, laois and the Banner.
Mind you anyone who was at the gaelic grounds for the clare game that went to 65s won't forget it.

For me when I think back to 2013 all through the league when hardly anyone was at the matches and even the first games of the championship how well Declan Hannon played almost single handedly driving limerick on to munster glory, then in the semi final v clare things didn't go well for Declan or the team. during the match and even worse afterwards the abuse that man got from clowns that hadn't been to a match up to that was sickening, I'm sure plenty won't enjoy me saying the now.

Then on to 2018 and 2020 so proud to see Declan raising that trophy and making great speech."
What a year this has been. Not since 1961 has any team gone the whole year without been beaten or held to a draw even once. It it the first since 1936 that Limerick have gone unbeaten all year, a feat also achieved in 1934. Just a question is there any hurling county can say they have gone absolutely unbeaten in three years in the history of the game, considering the great Kilkenny of the recent past never did it even once.
Earlier this year when Mike Casey and Ritchie English two of our regular full back got injured the veteran Tom Condon and another fine corner back young Cosstelloe from Kilmallock were drafted for the league and both were doing fine. Then they in turn got injured and we had to turn to Dan Morrissey a fine wing back but not a tried and tested Full back and Barry Nash, a fine forward, but one who had no experience as a corner back. Many supporters felt that this would not work out but both men proved what magnificent hurlers by fitting seamlessly into their new positions and are now both All Star candidates.
We also lost Shane Dowling possibly one the finest impact subs in the country, but other men stepped up to the plate and we never looked under real pressure.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2706 - 14/12/2020 18:26:18    2322389

Link

Replying To welpastit:  "We've met each other Oldtourman at league games when there was barely a thousand there and you had a 2 or 3 hour drive to get there. There will be a lot of fair weather fans for a few years to come I suspect but no one could ever level that accusation at you. Sincere congratulations to you and people like you who have always been there. These are great days let's hope there's a few more to come. Up the treaty. Looking forward to seeing you as soon as possible in Gaelic Grounds. God bless and happy Xmas"
Yes indeed Welpastit, we met at many a game. At League matches in far away venues you always see the same Limerick supporters down the years. It is absolutely brilliant to be around for this golden age. Anyway every good wish for Christmas and the New Year and looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2706 - 14/12/2020 21:07:33    2322451

Link

Incredible days. I always think of the desolation of the semifinal v tipp in 09 as the lowest point. To think we'd be clearly top of the tree with two wins within a decade is unbelievable. Huge kudos to all involved.
There's got to be a big carrot ahead of the players of adding a summer championship to a winter one in July. We're good enough if we keep the motivation.

I know we'll miss the fun in the stands etc this year but there's a great self satisfaction with this title. Best by a mile. Wiped the floor with tipp and Waterford. Able to dig out wins like the Munster final and semi final. Losing two clear starters and now they'll be worried if they can get back in. Got to be greedy now. Cork tipp and kk are all in transition but that won't last.

Sugary_tae (Limerick) - Posts: 27 - 15/12/2020 13:16:31    2322599

Link

Wrote a few thoughts about the game & the season here:

http://limerickhurling.blogspot.com/2020/12/fishing-in-silver-streams.html

Sometimes it is important to just write it down to look back in years to come and see how this made us feel. Still on cloud 9 really ...........

slayer (Limerick) - Posts: 6218 - 15/12/2020 13:44:33    2322614

Link

Congratulations Limerick on a tremendous final display and on a fabulous season.

Even though I'd like to have seen Waterford win it, Limerick were awesome. Probably the most complete AI final performance since KK in 2008, and before that, KK in 1982. And that's no bad reflection on WAT. They threw what they had at Limerick, but were just up against an articulated truck of a side, but one with brains. 

Limerick play with a formidable style, but also a very scientific, intelligent brand of hurling where they rarely give away possession or waste it. As the great Anthony Daly said in the Examiner, it is 'total hurling' 'at a new level', similar to Cruyff's great Dutch 'total football' side of the 1970's. Except Limerick have titles to show for it, and the Dutch do not. 

This intelligent hurling may not suit the traditional hit and hope merchants where you gave your opponent as much opportunity of winning the ball you hit as your own man. Trust me, Limerick were at if for years, too. That is not a smart way to play the game.  And I for one like things being done intelligently.

But it's not just when they have the ball that Limerick are smart. They defend intelligently as well when a team comes at them. In fairness to Waterford, they got quite a few shots off on goal, but none that would really trouble a staunch 'keeper like Quaid. But in the semi final, Limerick didn't give Galway as much as a sniff of a goal chance.

And your manager Kiely seems so solid and rooted to the ground. Enjoy the party when it's safe to do so.

foreveryoung (USA) - Posts: 147 - 15/12/2020 13:58:02    2322620

Link

Replying To foreveryoung:  "Congratulations Limerick on a tremendous final display and on a fabulous season.

Even though I'd like to have seen Waterford win it, Limerick were awesome. Probably the most complete AI final performance since KK in 2008, and before that, KK in 1982. And that's no bad reflection on WAT. They threw what they had at Limerick, but were just up against an articulated truck of a side, but one with brains. 

Limerick play with a formidable style, but also a very scientific, intelligent brand of hurling where they rarely give away possession or waste it. As the great Anthony Daly said in the Examiner, it is 'total hurling' 'at a new level', similar to Cruyff's great Dutch 'total football' side of the 1970's. Except Limerick have titles to show for it, and the Dutch do not. 

This intelligent hurling may not suit the traditional hit and hope merchants where you gave your opponent as much opportunity of winning the ball you hit as your own man. Trust me, Limerick were at if for years, too. That is not a smart way to play the game.  And I for one like things being done intelligently.

But it's not just when they have the ball that Limerick are smart. They defend intelligently as well when a team comes at them. In fairness to Waterford, they got quite a few shots off on goal, but none that would really trouble a staunch 'keeper like Quaid. But in the semi final, Limerick didn't give Galway as much as a sniff of a goal chance.

And your manager Kiely seems so solid and rooted to the ground. Enjoy the party when it's safe to do so."
Great observations , thank you!

PatOLogical (Limerick) - Posts: 1193 - 15/12/2020 16:13:14    2322667

Link

Replying To foreveryoung:  "Congratulations Limerick on a tremendous final display and on a fabulous season.

And your manager Kiely seems so solid and rooted to the ground. Enjoy the party when it's safe to do so."
Thanks very good assessment.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2706 - 15/12/2020 18:04:47    2322688

Link

It was a genuine pleasure to watch what unfolded in croke park last Sunday. This team has been building to that performance all year. Early on in the league you sensed that they were out to atone for the kk match the previous july. There was an edge to their approach all through the league games and as I had mentioned before Gearoid Hegarty seemed to me to be leading from the front.

For me It was like watching the evolution of the modern brand of hurling executed to near perfection. Hurling with abandonment and fluidity coupled with intense preparation and purpose. It was modern sport played by the new breed of hurler. Strong fast powerful intelligent and completely in control of their own powers.

The coaching ticket in limerick is littered with success. Kiely kinnerk Cunningham Currid have all top class cvs. The players now believe they can win every match and feel they should. They went 13 for 13 this year. Some feat. 1961 the last time.

This team has another 3 years at their peak after which or even before which new faces will need to appear. There are a couple of the current crop who might call it a day soon but not many. The vast majority of the 21 or 22 hurlers used this year we will be seeing in the next 3 years. There are more AIs to be won. The coaching ticket is hugely important. Kiely Kinnerk Currid being for me the most important. For the players the hunger will need to be in equal measure and the competition for places will drive it.

Ive watched the match back a couple of times since and limerick were superb. One thing I will say is in my opinion Tom Morrissey gave a display for the ages. 5 points from play and 6 direct assists. He easily could have been MOTM along with hayes but Hegarty for me HOTY and fitting he got MOTM also. He was the man I spotted in February that was setting the tone for the team. Little did I know he still would all the way till December 13th. I'm enjoying every minute this team takes the field. Incredible times.

Luimneach abu.

daveboy (Limerick) - Posts: 495 - 17/12/2020 22:01:05    2323300

Link

Replying To PatOLogical:  "Great observations , thank you!"
You left out your catchphrase this time .....

"Come On Ye Boys In Green" !!!

johnocarroll17 (Limerick) - Posts: 78 - 18/12/2020 00:53:17    2323326

Link