Limerick Forum

Official Limerick Senior Hurling 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To fainleog:  "Peter Casey will not have to work hard to get his place back next year as in all probability he will have his place back for
the final. He put in an increadible display when called upon yesterday. His impact was enormous. With regard to Richie
English, how could you expect Richie English to perform in All-Ireland final and not having played a game in almost twelve
months, get real."
That was Mike Casey he was referring to

Mads (Limerick) - Posts: 220 - 30/11/2020 18:12:59    2317066

Link

There were a few interesting points made here regarding Kyle Hayes. The way the lad is playing out of his skin it looks like he could play anywhere at this moment.
I would venture that he could be potentially used as both a half forward and half back the next day out.
In 2018 we had an exceptional bench. I'm not saying now that the lads off the bench aren't contributing but in 2018 against Cork, Dowling, Casey, Ryan, Nash all came off the bench and offered a new lease of life. For me while the lads are doing their bit the impact certainly isn't as high which of course is a tall order. Obviously we're missing Dowling who is colossal but also Nash has to cover the backline so I don't think the options are as plentiful. Reidy gets on a lot of ball which is needed but isn't showing to be a good finisher in championship heat. I'd prefer if he laid off ball and set up a score at this stage.

Going back to Hayes. Right now it would be difficult not to start him at wing back but down the stretch while bringing on Casey/Mulcahy, shoving English on and pushing Hayes up top offers another serious attack option up front. Just like knowing Casey will deliver off the bench sometimes a positional switch might work just as well.
Sincerely hope Gillane will be able to play next day out

Mads (Limerick) - Posts: 220 - 30/11/2020 21:12:08    2317155

Link

Waterfords default plan is to run at your midfield and backs the whole game .Its what has got them this far this year and they are good at it. For this reason I believe that Kyle has to stay at half back for the final. If Waterford do win our puck outs and start to run you need colossal power and size to stop them. Kyle , Byrnes and WOD are the men for that. It takes waterfords game plan away from them. I think it would be very hash to drop Mul , he has been fantastic and will be way better in the final. Hard on Casey but there is massive competition there. Also Gillane has had a horrendous year with injuries , broken jaw, broken finger, now bruised spleen and he takes massive punishment in every game. Its massive credit to him to still reach the levels he does. And lastly, please lay off David Reidy , he keeps getting on the ball and taking the shots , maybe not not the best decision maker all the time but for how long had we forwards that hid and never looked for the ball.

bren222 (Limerick) - Posts: 110 - 01/12/2020 11:25:14    2317264

Link

Replying To bren222:  "Waterfords default plan is to run at your midfield and backs the whole game .Its what has got them this far this year and they are good at it. For this reason I believe that Kyle has to stay at half back for the final. If Waterford do win our puck outs and start to run you need colossal power and size to stop them. Kyle , Byrnes and WOD are the men for that. It takes waterfords game plan away from them. I think it would be very hash to drop Mul , he has been fantastic and will be way better in the final. Hard on Casey but there is massive competition there. Also Gillane has had a horrendous year with injuries , broken jaw, broken finger, now bruised spleen and he takes massive punishment in every game. Its massive credit to him to still reach the levels he does. And lastly, please lay off David Reidy , he keeps getting on the ball and taking the shots , maybe not not the best decision maker all the time but for how long had we forwards that hid and never looked for the ball."
Shooting and scoring are two totally different things. I dont want guys shooting if they can't score,getting on ball and letting off shots is a waste of time if you don't score. Reidy missed 1-03 on Sunday. 2 of his shots were unforgivable misses. He could have passed at least twice. I wouldnt have him next nor near coming on again.
Hes not the only one that missed nor the only one that hit poor wides...he was the only one that didn't pass to a player in a better position. The whole Limerick team was full of anxiety until Morrissey got that interception and scored off his left..I think they ll be way better against Waterford ,they ll have to be.

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1366 - 01/12/2020 15:12:02    2317333

Link

In my opinion Peter Casey will be selected to start in the All-Ireland final. He had a massive impact on the game when he
came on with scores, assists, interceptions and an incredible catch before he put Reidy through on goal. You can not select a team on sentiment. We all know only too well, that when that is done it can be very costly. John Kiely has recently
said that he selects on form, so people probably know what he is thinking in that regard at present. It could be that Cian Lynch may be selected at mid-field as that role suits him better.

fainleog (Limerick) - Posts: 558 - 01/12/2020 15:13:30    2317334

Link

Replying To bloodyban:  "Galway were terrible. Its a great result for Limerick but they 'tied' up badly in homeward stretch. So much anxiety,so many bad decisions and shots. I hate singling out men but Reidy had zero composure. His shot for goal was bad very bad but his wide from the sideline was shocking and he missed 4 in total.. not on at this level.The Na Piarsaigh lads showed steel especially Casey and Breen when they came on. And O Donoghue drove on aswell.As a man once said 'Limerick can't win a hurling All Ireland without about a third of the team being from the City ' . He right. And Byrnes's free was outstanding. That was the winning of the game ,pushing them 1 ahead. That performance will repeated in the final will see Waterford Bridge the gap to 59. And I'm sorry but its takes too much to get to a final and Limerick have lost so many...they need to seize this final by the throat and throttle it...leaving teams in matches when they should be stone dead is awful for the people of Limerick..and themselves"
thanks very much.... and what county you from yourself? how many aliases are you agitating under?

PatOLogical (Limerick) - Posts: 1193 - 01/12/2020 15:15:44    2317338

Link

Replying To bloodyban:  "Yeah well said. Id agree with your sentiments. To be honest Gillane is an 80% free taker and I'd rather see Byrnes take the 65s. Gillane did fine ,got a good point from play but missed a few bad frees ,as did Joe Canning. Byrnes was colossal. And Hayes is on a different planet but occasionally he doesn't have to beat every man...im thinking of the free man inside him near the end. He should have take the easy option. But he's a great kid..fantastic"
Huh? Can anyone decipher this pulp? ..on 2nd thought don't bother..

" And Hayes is on a different planet but occasionally he doesn't have to beat every man...im thinking of the free man inside him near the end. He should have take the easy option. But he's a great kid..fantastic."

PatOLogical (Limerick) - Posts: 1193 - 01/12/2020 15:22:39    2317341

Link

Replying To bloodyban:  "Shooting and scoring are two totally different things. I dont want guys shooting if they can't score,getting on ball and letting off shots is a waste of time if you don't score. Reidy missed 1-03 on Sunday. 2 of his shots were unforgivable misses. He could have passed at least twice. I wouldnt have him next nor near coming on again.
Hes not the only one that missed nor the only one that hit poor wides...he was the only one that didn't pass to a player in a better position. The whole Limerick team was full of anxiety until Morrissey got that interception and scored off his left..I think they ll be way better against Waterford ,they ll have to be."
Great stuff.... probably sound even better if it could be put to music..

PatOLogical (Limerick) - Posts: 1193 - 01/12/2020 15:39:22    2317348

Link

You saw on Sunday just why Shane Dowling is such a massive loss to Limerick hurling. There were 4 points taken where the goal was definitely on, and Dowling would have gone in on goal for all four chances. Maybe we should cut David Reidy a break because he was probably told to go for goal. Whatever else, he is some man to get into a dangerous position.

Throughout the current championship campaign, I think Limerick have got by each round with no more than 6 players playing very well, another 6 or 7 average, and one or two poor displays. Look at the all-star nominations in today's Irish Examiner and it reflects that, with the disappointing omission of Dan Morrissey, who for me has been a better full back than Conor Prunty this year. link Limerick have 7 nominations on that team , and it should be 8. Contrast that to Waterford, who have 4, and one debatable. That means Waterford are getting a lot more out of the remaining 11 players than Limerick are of the other 8. If Limerick could get 10 of the 15 firing well the next day, they will definitely win, and likely by quite a few. If not, I think Waterford have a legitimate chance of beating them. No naming names, but a lot more expected from some of our main men the next day.

Also, has any county ever had a player as consistently brilliant as Sean Finn?

stpats1886 (Limerick) - Posts: 17 - 01/12/2020 18:56:47    2317420

Link

Replying To stpats1886:  "You saw on Sunday just why Shane Dowling is such a massive loss to Limerick hurling. There were 4 points taken where the goal was definitely on, and Dowling would have gone in on goal for all four chances. Maybe we should cut David Reidy a break because he was probably told to go for goal. Whatever else, he is some man to get into a dangerous position.

Throughout the current championship campaign, I think Limerick have got by each round with no more than 6 players playing very well, another 6 or 7 average, and one or two poor displays. Look at the all-star nominations in today's Irish Examiner and it reflects that, with the disappointing omission of Dan Morrissey, who for me has been a better full back than Conor Prunty this year. link Limerick have 7 nominations on that team , and it should be 8. Contrast that to Waterford, who have 4, and one debatable. That means Waterford are getting a lot more out of the remaining 11 players than Limerick are of the other 8. If Limerick could get 10 of the 15 firing well the next day, they will definitely win, and likely by quite a few. If not, I think Waterford have a legitimate chance of beating them. No naming names, but a lot more expected from some of our main men the next day.

Also, has any county ever had a player as consistently brilliant as Sean Finn?"
Conor Delaney has more of a case than Dan Morrissey. Dan has been good, but he's gotten good protection and we had 3 vs 2 in the full back line on Sunday. Delaney was very good throughout the year and kept both Conor Whelan and Dessie Hutchinson quiet. I would put Daithi Burke full back, Conor Delaney corner back and Colcannon instead of Mannion in the full forward line. The rest I'd agree with.

limerick_lass (Limerick) - Posts: 37 - 01/12/2020 20:03:32    2317445

Link

Replying To stpats1886:  "You saw on Sunday just why Shane Dowling is such a massive loss to Limerick hurling. There were 4 points taken where the goal was definitely on, and Dowling would have gone in on goal for all four chances. Maybe we should cut David Reidy a break because he was probably told to go for goal. Whatever else, he is some man to get into a dangerous position.

I watched the game back and I don't think Limerick actually played that badly vs Galway. It was a good performance but with areas to work on. Against both Waterford and Galway we haven't done well in certain areas and sometimes that's due to the opposition. Galway congested the middle, which is why Hegarty, Morrissey, Byrnes and Hayes had such a great game with the free space on the wings. There was no space in the middle for Lynch, WOD or DOD. Galway played a sweeper in their full back line. That sweeper sat on the Limerick full forward line and it was difficult for that line to win clean ball. If there was no sweeper there, Limerick would have given Galway a beating. Look at the passage of play for Hannon's point and especially Flanagan's attempt at a goal. That one was outstanding. Quaid puck out to Lynch, hand passed back to Nash in the half back line, out to Byrnes, long ball caught by Gillane that took both his and Flanagan's marker out of it completely (it was a thing of beauty) with Flanagan played through. He would have gotten much closer to the goal, except that Mannion (as the sweeper) came across. It was a poor finish anyway, but the play was outstanding.

Overall, we weren't at our top, top level but I don't think you will reach that every game. I'd be very happy with where we are. Playing well, with some big players coming through when the going is tough. We have a few things to work on and a few players can improve. Waterford will be a huge test. But they won't out-work us or want it more than us and when it comes down the stretch I think our game plan and overall quality is a little ahead of theres and we will come through. Fingers crossed anyway!

P:S I would start Peter Casey instead of Mulcahy in the final and that would be my only change. Casey was very good in the first half vs Waterford, poor in the second. Mulcahy was poor in the first and very good in the second. Yesterday, Mulcahy wasn't at the races and Peter had a huge impact when he came on. David Reidy also played well, his execution was simply poor. But he got into the positions Kiely would have wanted him to get into. If he had scored a few of them, he would be putting huge pressure on O'Donovan for the final.

limerick_lass (Limerick) - Posts: 37 - 01/12/2020 20:11:44    2317447

Link

Finn is the best corner back in the business. Should have a 3rd all star in a row. A joy to watch on the ball. So comfortable. Also agree that Dan Morrissey has really settled in at full back. No tall order for any player to switch positions. A real honest hard working player. Nash is improving all the time too.
While we're not scoring goals we're not conceding them either. Tipp got 2 (1 should have been a free out). 1 conceded against Clare.
Hopefully the forwards as a unit will click a bit better the next day.
Against Tipp there was more of a mix of scorers. Since then it's been either the full forward line on song (Tipp game) or half forward line (Galway game). We'll need more of an overall contribution next day out.
If we do manage to even get 1 goal it would be massive. Thought DO'D got on a lot of ball particularly in first half against Galway. His shots went wide but he was a bit unlucky with injuries lately maybe lacked a bit of sharpness. Wouldn't rule him out of starting alongside WOD again the next day

Mads (Limerick) - Posts: 220 - 01/12/2020 20:55:41    2317457

Link

Replying To limerick_lass:  "

I watched the game back and I don't think Limerick actually played that badly vs Galway. It was a good performance but with areas to work on. Against both Waterford and Galway we haven't done well in certain areas and sometimes that's due to the opposition. Galway congested the middle, which is why Hegarty, Morrissey, Byrnes and Hayes had such a great game with the free space on the wings. There was no space in the middle for Lynch, WOD or DOD. Galway played a sweeper in their full back line. That sweeper sat on the Limerick full forward line and it was difficult for that line to win clean ball. If there was no sweeper there, Limerick would have given Galway a beating. Look at the passage of play for Hannon's point and especially Flanagan's attempt at a goal. That one was outstanding. Quaid puck out to Lynch, hand passed back to Nash in the half back line, out to Byrnes, long ball caught by Gillane that took both his and Flanagan's marker out of it completely (it was a thing of beauty) with Flanagan played through. He would have gotten much closer to the goal, except that Mannion (as the sweeper) came across. It was a poor finish anyway, but the play was outstanding.

Overall, we weren't at our top, top level but I don't think you will reach that every game. I'd be very happy with where we are. Playing well, with some big players coming through when the going is tough. We have a few things to work on and a few players can improve. Waterford will be a huge test. But they won't out-work us or want it more than us and when it comes down the stretch I think our game plan and overall quality is a little ahead of theres and we will come through. Fingers crossed anyway!

P:S I would start Peter Casey instead of Mulcahy in the final and that would be my only change. Casey was very good in the first half vs Waterford, poor in the second. Mulcahy was poor in the first and very good in the second. Yesterday, Mulcahy wasn't at the races and Peter had a huge impact when he came on. David Reidy also played well, his execution was simply poor. But he got into the positions Kiely would have wanted him to get into. If he had scored a few of them, he would be putting huge pressure on O'Donovan for the final."
Very good post... I always enjoy your analysis. You're an excellent reader of the game.

skillet (Limerick) - Posts: 776 - 01/12/2020 21:22:29    2317476

Link

Replying To Mads:  "

Finn is the best corner back in the business. Should have a 3rd all star in a row. A joy to watch on the ball. So comfortable. Also agree that Dan Morrissey has really settled in at full back. No tall order for any player to switch positions. A real honest hard working player. Nash is improving all the time too.
While we're not scoring goals we're not conceding them either. Tipp got 2 (1 should have been a free out). 1 conceded against Clare.
Against Tipp there was more of a mix of scorers. Since then it's been either the full forward line on song (Tipp game) or half forward line (Galway game). We'll need more of an overall contribution next day out.
If we do manage to even get 1 goal it would be massive. Thought DO'D got on a lot of ball particularly in first half against Galway. His shots went wide but he was a bit unlucky with injuries lately maybe lacked a bit of sharpness. Wouldn't rule him out of starting alongside WOD again the next day"
Honestly i think Finn will win all stars every year he is playing, he could finish with 8 or 9 at this rate. The man is a rolls royce of a hurler and we are blessed to have him. Effortless, skillful, determined and dogged. Best corner back in the country bar none.

Kingcosie (Limerick) - Posts: 9 - 01/12/2020 22:13:06    2317492

Link

Positives from Sunday

We won a titanic battle!
We conceded no goals, in fact we have conceded three goals in four games!
Gave Galway no puck out options
We played "on the edge"
Reidy created 1-03 in 25 min!! (He's normally very accurate
Our FF line forced Galway to play a sweeper in their FB line. This gave us great options elsewhere.
When our FF line didn't fire our HF line fires over 11 points from play!
Half back line is a brick wall. Kyle at HB is a new phenomenon opposition has to focus on!
Mid field held their own in a very physical battle
FB line made it look easy!! And that's against a very potent Galway FF - including Canning at times.
Subs again made a big impact.
Management have a lot to work on. Going into a final with plenty to work on is ideal.

Negatives.
Gillanes injury- I hope he's ok for the final. He's hardy!
They looked very nervous at times. I think last years SF loss was weighing on their minds a bit too much?

Our "playing on the edge" is in the limelight all week. Maybe Hego is a bit close to the edge? Refs will be watching us very closely next week and a few early yellows will be flashed. The problem is this could lead to a later second yellow!!
We missed goal chances. This can be fixed. However, this team doesn't have natural goal scoters - yet.
Reidy missed 1-03. He's a really good guy an I'm sure he will fix this.
Mul didn't shine. First time in three seasons. Give the guy a break. I wouldn't like to be marking him in the final. I think he will start. He did fumble a ball for a clear run on goals. I think he saw the opportunity and lost concentration for that one mili second!
Our lads fell a lot. I think management team will need to do a bit of work on the type of studs to use on a slippery Croke Park surface. But again it can be improved!

Overall I'm delighted with that win in such a physical battle and with so much at steak. Well done to all!!

Seeking_silver (Limerick) - Posts: 294 - 02/12/2020 07:01:12    2317553

Link

Replying To skillet:  "
Replying To limerick_lass:  "[quote=stpats1886:  "You saw on Sunday just why Shane Dowling is such a massive loss to Limerick hurling. There were 4 points taken where the goal was definitely on, and Dowling would have gone in on goal for all four chances. Maybe we should cut David Reidy a break because he was probably told to go for goal. Whatever else, he is some man to get into a dangerous position.

P:S I would start Peter Casey instead of Mulcahy in the final and that would be my only change. Casey was very good in the first half vs Waterford, poor in the second. Mulcahy was poor in the first and very good in the second. Yesterday, Mulcahy wasn't at the races and Peter had a huge impact when he came on. David Reidy also played well, his execution was simply poor. But he got into the positions Kiely would have wanted him to get into. If he had scored a few of them, he would be putting huge pressure on O'Donovan for the final."
Very good post... I always enjoy your analysis. You're an excellent reader of the game."]Full agree!!

Seeking_silver (Limerick) - Posts: 294 - 02/12/2020 07:56:37    2317557

Link

Replying To Kingcosie:  "
Replying To Mads:  "[quote=stpats1886:  "You saw on Sunday just why Shane Dowling is such a massive loss to Limerick hurling. There were 4 points taken where the goal was definitely on, and Dowling would have gone in on goal for all four chances. Maybe we should cut David Reidy a break because he was probably told to go for goal. Whatever else, he is some man to get into a dangerous position.

If we do manage to even get 1 goal it would be massive. Thought DO'D got on a lot of ball particularly in first half against Galway. His shots went wide but he was a bit unlucky with injuries lately maybe lacked a bit of sharpness. Wouldn't rule him out of starting alongside WOD again the next day"
Honestly i think Finn will win all stars every year he is playing, he could finish with 8 or 9 at this rate. The man is a rolls royce of a hurler and we are blessed to have him. Effortless, skillful, determined and dogged. Best corner back in the country bar none."]Couldn't agree more. If only cornerbacks could get hurler of the year. His levels of excellence have been so high for years. Does not get the recognition nationally he deserves and is so much more than a tough a tidy cornerback.

Fitzy01 (Limerick) - Posts: 191 - 02/12/2020 09:14:09    2317563

Link

Yeah looking back on the game there's more positives than negatives.
Positives
1. The wing backs and wing forwards are in sensational form
2. Turned over so many puck outs and got scores
3. Bench made a big impact ,particularly Casey.
4. Full back line was solid and Dan was especially safe.
5. Will to find a way to win was very evident
Negatives
1. Tied up with anxiety in the final 10 to 15. Very similar to the finish in 2018 and not dissimilar to the anxiety from 94, 96.
2. Failed to take enough of the easy scores to put Galway at arms length ie. Wides
3. Brought on Reidy who was greedy and had yet to show the cool temperament in his shooting this level. I think that's the last of him for this season.
4. The frees given away. Many just didn't need to be given. Waterford will play for frees again.
5. Think the boys need better studs..Croke Park is a great pitch but if its got a dew on it its like an ice rink...4 or 5 bad slips...Gillane, Wod x2 ,Lynch ect...are they all using moulded or what..

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1366 - 02/12/2020 11:25:28    2317614

Link

Replying To bloodyban:  "Yeah looking back on the game there's more positives than negatives.
Positives
1. The wing backs and wing forwards are in sensational form
2. Turned over so many puck outs and got scores
3. Bench made a big impact ,particularly Casey.
4. Full back line was solid and Dan was especially safe.
5. Will to find a way to win was very evident
Negatives
1. Tied up with anxiety in the final 10 to 15. Very similar to the finish in 2018 and not dissimilar to the anxiety from 94, 96.
2. Failed to take enough of the easy scores to put Galway at arms length ie. Wides
3. Brought on Reidy who was greedy and had yet to show the cool temperament in his shooting this level. I think that's the last of him for this season.
4. The frees given away. Many just didn't need to be given. Waterford will play for frees again.
5. Think the boys need better studs..Croke Park is a great pitch but if its got a dew on it its like an ice rink...4 or 5 bad slips...Gillane, Wod x2 ,Lynch ect...are they all using moulded or what.."
Bit harsh on Reidy, at least he was very involved and got on a lot of ball. I think the failings he had are fixable with a few words from management. If he didn't touch the ball, I'd be far more critical.

blackspot91 (Limerick) - Posts: 1018 - 03/12/2020 03:28:42    2317857

Link

Replying To blackspot91:  "Bit harsh on Reidy, at least he was very involved and got on a lot of ball. I think the failings he had are fixable with a few words from management. If he didn't touch the ball, I'd be far more critical."
Yes, I agree, he doesn't hide and gets on the ball and tries to make things happen, I wouldn't be too hard on him either. Would be worse as you say if he came on and was anonymous. Hopefully, they are all getting a bit of extra practice coming in on the angle one on one with the keeper, if we could just be a bit more ruthless in front of goal we will be very hard to stop.

Fitzy01 (Limerick) - Posts: 191 - 03/12/2020 09:32:13    2317873

Link