Monaghan Forum

Championship 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To greysoil:  "Stop stirring ahead of our first championship game. I have often wondered about your county credentials & a post like this makes me question even more."
well i apologise for stirring...genuinely...anyway i cant wait for Saturday...as for my credentials - i dont have any, im just a fan

MalsBalls (Monaghan) - Posts: 103 - 14/05/2019 15:10:32    2184003

Link

Really looking forward to a great night of entertainment on Saturday. Personally I think Russia have the winning song this year !!

StirringIt (Cavan) - Posts: 374 - 14/05/2019 17:35:59    2184058

Link

all this talk about no new faces in midfield....well i wouldn't be surprised if Doohamlet's Jamie Walshe is in the squad for the Cavan game. Heard he was playing great stuff in recent senior league games. He missed most of the McKenna cup and NFL through injury but he's flying now.

Anyway, I have a bad feeling about the Cavan game. I'd normally be quite positive about Monaghan's chances but the injuries have piled up and there was some very lethargic performances during the league. Defensively Monaghan were sloppy collectively and individually for much of the league, which is most unlike Monaghan teams over the past 6 years. I'd love to see those things being just a blip and a team just gaining fitness but it doesn't fill me with confidence.

I remember Aidan O'Rourke writing last years after the Fermanagh defeat saying Monaghan needed that fear of not performing to their maximum drive them on and avoid complacency. He was right. Even though it's Cavan and we've had their number over the past 6 years, it's that chance of complacency creeping in again that worries me.

sleater (Monaghan) - Posts: 113 - 14/05/2019 20:42:16    2184122

Link

Replying To MalsBalls:  "well i apologise for stirring...genuinely...anyway i cant wait for Saturday...as for my credentials - i dont have any, im just a fan"
...credentials...
You are fond of that word Bernardo...
#forensicdiscourseanalysis101

Eddie the Exile (Monaghan) - Posts: 709 - 14/05/2019 21:32:42    2184140

Link

Replying To sleater:  "all this talk about no new faces in midfield....well i wouldn't be surprised if Doohamlet's Jamie Walshe is in the squad for the Cavan game. Heard he was playing great stuff in recent senior league games. He missed most of the McKenna cup and NFL through injury but he's flying now.

Anyway, I have a bad feeling about the Cavan game. I'd normally be quite positive about Monaghan's chances but the injuries have piled up and there was some very lethargic performances during the league. Defensively Monaghan were sloppy collectively and individually for much of the league, which is most unlike Monaghan teams over the past 6 years. I'd love to see those things being just a blip and a team just gaining fitness but it doesn't fill me with confidence.

I remember Aidan O'Rourke writing last years after the Fermanagh defeat saying Monaghan needed that fear of not performing to their maximum drive them on and avoid complacency. He was right. Even though it's Cavan and we've had their number over the past 6 years, it's that chance of complacency creeping in again that worries me."
I don't think complacency will be there on Saturday. Those fermanagh down defeats were in semi finals where we were warm favourites. First round games are normally o rourkes forte plenty of time to analyse the opposition etc which he is v good at. The worry for Saturday is miles on the clock for a lot of these players. Really hope i am wrong but some of the plays in the league saw a team looking tired especially in the closing of games. Maybe malachy and managenent tailoring training for the sumner hopefully. On a separate point id love to see one of our forwards apart from the obvious really announce himself on Saturday night. O Hanlon could fit this bill.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1465 - 14/05/2019 21:52:39    2184147

Link

Change the record Hardcore, please. Do you really think the management team thought "hmm...we know we need some cover in midfield, we could draft some new county level players into the squad, but sure let's just not bother'....do you honestly believe that the senior county management team came to that conclusion? It makes great headlines in a forum post, but it's just not credible. MOR and co are not stupid. Kick of a ball away from an all Ireland final last year, or is that forgotten now? (Although I think at the time you called last year a failure, right?).

moodoo (Monaghan) - Posts: 369 - 14/05/2019 21:58:50    2184148

Link

What are thoughts on the team??
My team would be

Beggan
Wylie Wylie Duffy
Karl o connell walshe Boyle
Mc Adam Kelly
Carey Mccarron Mc anespie
ward Mc carthy Mc Manus

Subs
Forde
Vinny
Dessie
O hanlon
Malone
Doogan
Kieran Hughes
Mc Ginn
Bannigan

More than likely that will be team Malachy will go with although I doubt he will name mc adam to start or ward and will make changes before the game, namely in the half forward and number 13 jersey. He will name O hanlon to start and replace him with ward and repalce malone with mc adam.

monaghanmad (Monaghan) - Posts: 186 - 14/05/2019 22:41:15    2184168

Link

Replying To monaghanmad:  "What are thoughts on the team??
My team would be

Beggan
Wylie Wylie Duffy
Mc Adam Kelly
ward Mc carthy Mc Manus

Subs
Forde
Vinny
Dessie
O hanlon
Malone
Doogan
Kieran Hughes
Mc Ginn
Bannigan

More than likely that will be team Malachy will go with although I doubt he will name mc adam to start or ward and will make changes before the game, namely in the half forward and number 13 jersey. He will name O hanlon to start and replace him with ward and repalce malone with mc adam."
We have learned time & time again that in a game like this MALONE MUST START !

Shelbourne1 (Monaghan) - Posts: 171 - 14/05/2019 23:28:17    2184176

Link

Replying To monaghanmad:  "What are thoughts on the team??
My team would be

Beggan
Wylie Wylie Duffy
Mc Adam Kelly
ward Mc carthy Mc Manus

Subs
Forde
Vinny
Dessie
O hanlon
Malone
Doogan
Kieran Hughes
Mc Ginn
Bannigan

More than likely that will be team Malachy will go with although I doubt he will name mc adam to start or ward and will make changes before the game, namely in the half forward and number 13 jersey. He will name O hanlon to start and replace him with ward and repalce malone with mc adam."
I'd have Drew in half back for Boyle, Boyle is a brilliant full back and Drew is great going forward, very composed and has proved he can kick vital points v Fermanagh and Tyrone,

And yes Malone in for Carey, I would love to see a forward line full of 6 forwards but we'll only ever see 4 with 2 lads to track back,

O'Connell and McAnespie very important for kickouts also, if they click with Beggan it's a big big advantage,

Hope some player will surprise us from the bench or MOR has some trick up his sleeve.

Nice to have the championship finally back.

MonaghanGlory (Monaghan) - Posts: 694 - 15/05/2019 01:47:00    2184193

Link

Here we are so, great that it's back. The days are warmer.

Trying to foresee the outcome of this Cavan game increasingly feels like a hazardous exercise.

Memories remain of the final minutes of the 2013 semi final, being 4 points down in Breffni two years later, and the last gasp goalmouth (it could have gone anywhere) scramble in our most recent championship encounter.

My point here is that any expectations about making a statment for the remainder of the championship, or trying to bank conclusions on Cavan's relative strengths or weaknesses, is mis-guided. It's a derby. It's a bear trap, and if it means getting out with a scrappy one point that will do for me.

Whilst we rightly look for indicators about where this year's championship may take us, I wouldn't over analyse Saturday. Too much rivalry & fuelled up emotion and a whole rake of indivdual feuds will make this slog not a festival. They will - at some point - knock us out of Ulster at (95 still haunts), let us pray it isn't Saturday.

Hon.

Knoxboya (Monaghan) - Posts: 284 - 15/05/2019 08:11:55    2184206

Link

Change the record Hardcore, please. Do you really think the management team thought "hmm...we know we need some cover in midfield, we could draft some new county level players into the squad, but sure let's just not bother'....do you honestly believe that the senior county management team came to that conclusion? It makes great headlines in a forum post, but it's just not credible. MOR and co are not stupid. Kick of a ball away from an all Ireland final last year, or is that forgotten now? (Although I think at the time you called last year a failure, right?).

moodoo (Monaghan) - Posts: 313 - 14/05/2019 21:58:50 2

We have One new player on the panel from last year..............just One from the whole County thats the fact of the matter.

We go onto Saturday night with the same panel we had from last year minus 4 big players...........we are been run into the ground using the same players all the time.

Any ways doesnt matter now the season starts in 4 days......................expecting an Ultra Defence from Cavan to keep it as tight as possible and nick a 1 point win.

To many Big players out and nothing to replace them with............hope im wrong

hardcore (Monaghan) - Posts: 1366 - 15/05/2019 14:56:53    2184319

Link

4 Big players out...... Are we really missing 4 big names?? I know Darren is out and Nial Kearns also (though may make the panel I suppose)

Who are the other 2?? I would assume Kieran Hughes will make the 26 after playing for Scotstown recently. Probably not match fit to start. Who is the other big name??

Tim_NicebutDim (Monaghan) - Posts: 327 - 15/05/2019 15:38:37    2184338

Link

Replying To hardcore:  "Change the record Hardcore, please. Do you really think the management team thought "hmm...we know we need some cover in midfield, we could draft some new county level players into the squad, but sure let's just not bother'....do you honestly believe that the senior county management team came to that conclusion? It makes great headlines in a forum post, but it's just not credible. MOR and co are not stupid. Kick of a ball away from an all Ireland final last year, or is that forgotten now? (Although I think at the time you called last year a failure, right?).

moodoo (Monaghan) - Posts: 313 - 14/05/2019 21:58:50 2

We have One new player on the panel from last year..............just One from the whole County thats the fact of the matter.

We go onto Saturday night with the same panel we had from last year minus 4 big players...........we are been run into the ground using the same players all the time.

Any ways doesnt matter now the season starts in 4 days......................expecting an Ultra Defence from Cavan to keep it as tight as possible and nick a 1 point win.

To many Big players out and nothing to replace them with............hope im wrong"
Hardcore, who do you want added to the squad that isn't already on it? The best players in the county are already on it. Mal cant work miracles.

HB245 (Monaghan) - Posts: 80 - 15/05/2019 17:16:31    2184365

Link

An interesting sub plot Saturday night is the role of Martin Corey with Cavan. It's a minor thing going for them. Looks there is pressure on Cavan as well, last chance saloon for a lot of their guys such as Mackey , Reilly etc. they have to deliver as well. Surely that golden generation of u21s are feeling the heat as well to deliver. They haven't won in ulster in a while.

Monaghan have the expierence no doubt. They have slipped away in the media's mind after a credible end to last season. Mayo, donegal, Tyrone, Galway all being talked up; not so much Monaghan.

I think you'll see either Monaghan look lathergic and sluggish with cavans hunger being to much on the back of a 6 year cycle for this Monaghan time or we will see a composed Monaghan team deliver a professional performance that makes them
Worthy to be in the top 6 in Ireland.

222 (UK) - Posts: 518 - 15/05/2019 22:01:40    2184422

Link

As stated above regarding Martin Corey i think he will play a massive part in this game. He will know the Monaghan team inside out from watching and playing against which may not be a good thing.

Be interesting to see if his brother Vincent has any part to play for Monaghan. A long servant but hard to know if he is better starting or being sprung from the bench.

Agree Mackey will be Cavans main threat. He offers a lot to the team in both defense and attack. Man marking job for Ryan McAnespie maybe??

Any other crucial match ups you can think of??

Can't wait for the teams taking to the field Saturday evening

countymonaghan (Monaghan) - Posts: 170 - 16/05/2019 11:58:09    2184545

Link

i think conor boyle has to start. he's been nothing but excellent the times I've seen him...i had a quick look at the cavan page and there's a little talk of possibly mckiernan starting in full forward.. i think boyle can handle him anyway but i wonder would neilo follow him to that position? Conor Moynagh's another great footballer for Cavan. he'll likely score a point or two from the half back line.

Despite the fact that we're better, it'll likely be a close game. I think the bench may be the difference; taking on hughes (a big crowd favourite) and possibly keeping O'Hanlon as a super sub too will inject the life we need in the final third...

MalsBalls (Monaghan) - Posts: 103 - 16/05/2019 13:16:28    2184581

Link

Replying To MalsBalls:  "i think conor boyle has to start. he's been nothing but excellent the times I've seen him...i had a quick look at the cavan page and there's a little talk of possibly mckiernan starting in full forward.. i think boyle can handle him anyway but i wonder would neilo follow him to that position? Conor Moynagh's another great footballer for Cavan. he'll likely score a point or two from the half back line.

Despite the fact that we're better, it'll likely be a close game. I think the bench may be the difference; taking on hughes (a big crowd favourite) and possibly keeping O'Hanlon as a super sub too will inject the life we need in the final third..."
Boyle a very good fullback can mark all sorts (Drew limited to men his size and speed) and will attack. Not taking away from Drew he will attack too and that's why i feel he should be played at no.6. Like your thinking with the two subs. But if the game is close maybe 1 or 2 points either way and the two lads aren't able to add anything they would be criticized.

If Hughes has been doing well in club games and training i would have him in from the start. Big characters will be needed and i think he is going to be one when older brother Darren is not there.

Kearns could be the sub to bring on to add some reassurance around the middle if we are in a lead with 15 to go. Surely he couldn't have a full game in him already but these are all questions which Malachy will answer when the team lines out Saturday.

countymonaghan (Monaghan) - Posts: 170 - 16/05/2019 16:16:10    2184658

Link

Getting close now-how are you folks feeling over here?! The die-hard supporters on both sides sound very nervous going into this match. That is genuine on the Cavan side but funny enough it says deep down we know we have a very good chance of a win. Maybe memories of Fermanagh and Longford have your lads spooked away from complacency? I expect to see at least one Hughes lining out tomorrow, maybe another (!) and Kearns togged out. So Ciaran Hughes and Fintan Kelly with McAdam and O'Connell in support? It is not the crisis Monaghan commentators have tried to float. It probably won't be a clean out in midfield but Cavan should still win the balance of possession. If we pick a big physical inside forward line and play it right through half forwards there are weaknesses to hit. Cavan will need a goal more than Monaghan- Martin Reilly, McVeety and Mackey can score running from deep, Madden closer to goal. The matchups will be tight. Hopefully Conor Lane will continue his proud record of being the only inter-county ref that doesn't buy the 'simulation' of you-know-who in the Monaghan attack! For all the quality in McCarthy and McCarron they do not cut loose on the scoreboard in big games. Cavan have the men in Jason McLoughlin, Clarke, Faulkner. There are some permutations and combinations to think about.
All said, it is one to savour. After the quiet build-up hopefully it will explode into a great battle with no excuses left in the end. KBP is in fantastic shape, all the pieces are in place. You will be welcomed in the gates as usual and beaten out them for once.
Lets have it.

MadgeKing (Cavan) - Posts: 466 - 17/05/2019 13:14:50    2184907

Link

stick to your own forum madge king they will believe your crap there.. the "you know who".. one cant think who that is.. hope the cavan boys like monaghan jerseys because they will be grabbing enough of them tomorrow

detruth (Monaghan) - Posts: 193 - 17/05/2019 14:36:15    2184957

Link

Replying To detruth:  "stick to your own forum madge king they will believe your crap there.. the "you know who".. one cant think who that is.. hope the cavan boys like monaghan jerseys because they will be grabbing enough of them tomorrow"
Yeah because Monaghan lads don't grab jerseys or is it just hair pieces?

doratheexplorer (Cavan) - Posts: 1467 - 17/05/2019 15:12:36    2184967

Link