Monaghan Forum

Round 4 Qualifier Opponents

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

We just have to beat Laois now..!! no excuses... we already know that we will be in same Super 8's group as Kerry, Galway and winners of Kildare/Fermanagh if we do.... this is a huge opportunity now for the lads.!
First game in Croke Park against winners of Kildare/Fermanagh..
then its Kerry in clones.. (what an occaision that will be)..
then Galway in Salthill for the last game... (Aug bank holiday weekend)..
Where will Laois game be played.. it won't be in Croke Park due to Michael Bubble concert... Navan. ??

SouthMonMan (Monaghan) - Posts: 68 - 02/07/2018 09:49:53    2117536

Link

Replying To Shelbourne:  "Absolute sense there !"
Glad to see we have avoided Dublin "in the Super 8's" ( I didn't think I needed to spell that out for ye). That is if we manage to beat Laois next weekend..

Farney (Monaghan) - Posts: 739 - 02/07/2018 10:03:45    2117541

Link

Replying To Lightroom:  "Is Croke Park available next weekend? Monaghan vs Laois followed by Armagh vs Roscommon would be my guess on Saturday"
Croker unavailable due to concerts

greysoil (Monaghan) - Posts: 836 - 02/07/2018 10:08:14    2117547

Link

Couldn't have worked out much better lads! Obviously we have to worry about Laois now and only Laois - but IF we can get past them, a super 8s group with Kerry, Galway and Kildare/Fermanagh would be a refreshing change. There was the distinct possibility of being in there with Dublin, Donegal and Tyrone(3 teams we're sick of seeing), so I'm happy with this.

patk (Monaghan) - Posts: 874 - 02/07/2018 10:09:57    2117549

Link

Great draw for both teams.we were anxious to avoid Kildare. It's great to play someone new. I can promise you one thing....laois won't park the bus. Could be a shootout between McManus and kingston

Malonemagic (Laois) - Posts: 685 - 02/07/2018 11:23:03    2117599

Link

Replying To Malonemagic:  "Great draw for both teams.we were anxious to avoid Kildare. It's great to play someone new. I can promise you one thing....laois won't park the bus. Could be a shootout between McManus and kingston"
Delighted to hear that and look forward to buses being parked where they should be....outside the ground.

By the way if McManus & Kingston are having a shoot out there a few more Monaghan lads capable of joining in.
Anyway game will be won on the field and not on here.

Are you expecting a big Laois support ?........Monaghan will certainly be travelling in big numbers !

Shelbourne (Monaghan) - Posts: 567 - 02/07/2018 12:21:00    2117643

Link

A good draw for Monaghan. Laois will be physcial but I'd expect Monaghan to have to much. Will be closer then last two games. Last team to beat Monaghan in the championship before Malachy took the reins was... Laois

222 (UK) - Posts: 533 - 02/07/2018 14:06:47    2117716

Link

Replying To 222:  "A good draw for Monaghan. Laois will be physcial but I'd expect Monaghan to have to much. Will be closer then last two games. Last team to beat Monaghan in the championship before Malachy took the reins was... Laois"
It was offaly

Decfarneyarmy (Monaghan) - Posts: 37 - 02/07/2018 15:36:07    2117758

Link

Replying To Decfarneyarmy:  "It was offaly"
It was Laois in 2012. We owe them from 1986 too.

Eddie the Exile (Monaghan) - Posts: 733 - 02/07/2018 16:18:09    2117786

Link

In fairness to laois they will come to play football and take us on. The sort of Leinster team that have given us problems in the past with direct football. They will certainly look to rain in plenty of high ball on donie Kingston quality big man inside. We should beat them but will need to be fully on our game as this really is it for this group of players win and the doors open up to a pathway to the latter stages of championship never visited since 85 and 88. Lose and it is goodnight Vienna to the management and a lot of players.Its Showtime.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1503 - 02/07/2018 17:28:24    2117822

Link

Spot on Seanie. Thinking about it last night, I wondered has there ever been a game where the distinction between winning and losing is so great? Lose, and the year has been a failure, Malachy probably goes, and a number of players too. Game over, ball burst.
Win...and it's game on - the whole thing opens up - new territory, 3 more top level games, Kerry in Clones, a trip to Croker...who knows what could happen after that.

As I said, for all the effort this group has put in together over the years since Malachy came in, I just hope they can seize this opportunity. My big fear is that successive Ulster semi defeats has shown us that we seem to struggle to keep our focus on the game in front of us, and start looking beyond it. There is certainly that danger now. I hope we have learned our lesson.

Laois are no mugs, they played well against the Dubs for spells in the final, and they put up a couple of big scores in Leinster against Wexford and Westmeath. We should be good enough, but we have to perform on the day.

moodoo (Monaghan) - Posts: 394 - 03/07/2018 09:12:29    2118000

Link

If the supporters of any county know they should not count their chickens before they hatch, it should be Monaghan's. Let's forget about falling into the trap of talking about Super 8's until we get there!

Laois put in a good performance against the Dubs in the Leinster final in the first half and there is a big difference between them and Leitrim or Waterford. In truth, Laois are a 2nd division team and I would not be surprised to see them progress to divison two next year. They will fight tooth and nail to get to the Super 8's and will be more familiar with the pitch in Navan than Monaghan will be.

Although it was a great weekend in Carrick-on-Shannon there was lots on the field of play that concerned me. We were very open at the back and on another day a team with a free-taker that also took their goal chances would have had that game wrapped up after 20 minutes. Conor Boyle had a poor day and although it's great to see an attacking half back line, we need someone like Drew to shore up the middle as we were cut open at times. We left a lot of scores behind us last Saturday, missed easy frees that we would normally not and the forward unit has still not clicked. Mc Carthy's performance was one of the few positives I took from the game.

So, Monaghan have a hell of a lot to do to get over Laois. Yes, we have the ability to beat Laois if we put in a good performance but it's a while now since we have delivered a 70 minute performance. According to MOR, K Hughes will be fit and I would bring him in on the 40, with Mc Anesbie and Ward or Mc Kenna either side of him with a FF line of Mansey, Mc Carthy and Mc Carron. That reduces our scoring impact of the bench but we still have O Duffy, D Mone, S Carey and others to give it socks when the lads start to tire. So, a big game ahead on Saturday which of course we all know and it's all about the result - even though a performance would be nice too. We can do it but certainly should not take Laois lightly! And then, hopefully...... we will have the Super 8's to look forward to and we will be back where we hoped to be at this time of the year.

OrielPower (Monaghan) - Posts: 106 - 03/07/2018 09:40:18    2118007

Link

15,000 capacity in Navan.....it will be a full house

MuineachanAbu (Monaghan) - Posts: 624 - 03/07/2018 09:43:09    2118008

Link

Should a great open game of football I live in Laois and I can tell you they never fear teams from the north and have an incredible qualifier record against them .I think they have won 9 out of their last 10 loosing only to Donegal in 2013 in carrick on shannon on a day eveything went wrong for them.

They aren't as physical as they used to be but have very big scoring forwards who can do damage to anyone as shown against dublin for the first 25 minutes .

Has the potential to be a cracker they will bring a big support aswell ...Navan will be a sea of Blue and white!

BigJohn.6_8 (Galway) - Posts: 704 - 03/07/2018 10:38:14    2118021

Link

Quick question for those of you who know........I bought tickets online for Sunday's game and it referenced a seat number. Is this a generic number or am I allocated to the seated stand?

MuineachanAbu (Monaghan) - Posts: 624 - 03/07/2018 10:46:00    2118025

Link

We have been lucky with our draw so far and had two facile wins over Waterford and Leitrim. Only niggling injuries from the clashes were Drew Wylie and Vinny Corey but I saw them training with the physio on Saturday so hopefully just been cautious with them. Where we are Monaghan at at present? Its hard to know. I'm still not over the Fermanagh loss. After a tremendous win against Tyrone we were clueless against Fermanagh. So many times over the years we have lacked consistency. My biggest fear is that our tactics and style of play has progressed. Against Fermanagh there was no pace and lots of lateral running. Again on Saturday our weaknesses were exposed where Leitrim ran at us and nearly had 2 goals. The good teams will destroy us in this regard. What particularly annoyed me on Saturday was that Conor McManus practically got a standing ovation when he was subbed. Unfortunately he didn't play well on Saturday. Why do we cheer someone that hasn't played well? People say he was man marked….but if you look at the great players like Bernard Brogan, Andy moran etc they make the runs and create the scores. Conor has done this in spurts and not consistently over the last couple of years. If you can't do it against two weak counties how are you gonna do it against the best. Is his Hip still at him? Positives have developed are Niall Kearns and Connor Boyle. Settling in nicely. I would like to see the Wylie Brothers and Colin Walshe been given the freedom to roam more up the pitch as they are very capable of getting scores. Laois will be a big ask on Sunday. It will test where we are at. If we get to the Super 8's I think the format will suit us and the teams in the group are very beatable. Glad about not being in the same group as Dublin. We need to focus on Laois and take it from there.

montheman (Monaghan) - Posts: 28 - 03/07/2018 12:48:34    2118072

Link

Replying To montheman:  "We have been lucky with our draw so far and had two facile wins over Waterford and Leitrim. Only niggling injuries from the clashes were Drew Wylie and Vinny Corey but I saw them training with the physio on Saturday so hopefully just been cautious with them. Where we are Monaghan at at present? Its hard to know. I'm still not over the Fermanagh loss. After a tremendous win against Tyrone we were clueless against Fermanagh. So many times over the years we have lacked consistency. My biggest fear is that our tactics and style of play has progressed. Against Fermanagh there was no pace and lots of lateral running. Again on Saturday our weaknesses were exposed where Leitrim ran at us and nearly had 2 goals. The good teams will destroy us in this regard. What particularly annoyed me on Saturday was that Conor McManus practically got a standing ovation when he was subbed. Unfortunately he didn't play well on Saturday. Why do we cheer someone that hasn't played well? People say he was man marked….but if you look at the great players like Bernard Brogan, Andy moran etc they make the runs and create the scores. Conor has done this in spurts and not consistently over the last couple of years. If you can't do it against two weak counties how are you gonna do it against the best. Is his Hip still at him? Positives have developed are Niall Kearns and Connor Boyle. Settling in nicely. I would like to see the Wylie Brothers and Colin Walshe been given the freedom to roam more up the pitch as they are very capable of getting scores. Laois will be a big ask on Sunday. It will test where we are at. If we get to the Super 8's I think the format will suit us and the teams in the group are very beatable. Glad about not being in the same group as Dublin. We need to focus on Laois and take it from there."
The middle part of this post re McManus has to be the biggest load of nonsense ever displayed on this forum

anbhoth15 (Monaghan) - Posts: 103 - 03/07/2018 13:14:55    2118080

Link

Replying To montheman:  "We have been lucky with our draw so far and had two facile wins over Waterford and Leitrim. Only niggling injuries from the clashes were Drew Wylie and Vinny Corey but I saw them training with the physio on Saturday so hopefully just been cautious with them. Where we are Monaghan at at present? Its hard to know. I'm still not over the Fermanagh loss. After a tremendous win against Tyrone we were clueless against Fermanagh. So many times over the years we have lacked consistency. My biggest fear is that our tactics and style of play has progressed. Against Fermanagh there was no pace and lots of lateral running. Again on Saturday our weaknesses were exposed where Leitrim ran at us and nearly had 2 goals. The good teams will destroy us in this regard. What particularly annoyed me on Saturday was that Conor McManus practically got a standing ovation when he was subbed. Unfortunately he didn't play well on Saturday. Why do we cheer someone that hasn't played well? People say he was man marked….but if you look at the great players like Bernard Brogan, Andy moran etc they make the runs and create the scores. Conor has done this in spurts and not consistently over the last couple of years. If you can't do it against two weak counties how are you gonna do it against the best. Is his Hip still at him? Positives have developed are Niall Kearns and Connor Boyle. Settling in nicely. I would like to see the Wylie Brothers and Colin Walshe been given the freedom to roam more up the pitch as they are very capable of getting scores. Laois will be a big ask on Sunday. It will test where we are at. If we get to the Super 8's I think the format will suit us and the teams in the group are very beatable. Glad about not being in the same group as Dublin. We need to focus on Laois and take it from there."
I was going to start by responding/picking you up on some of your comments - but what's the point. We are both Monaghan supporters and we would like to see the team progress. The bottom line is Monaghan are not playing to their full potential (which they are prone to doing and did not need to do so against Leitrim).

Our shared concerns as Monaghan supporters is will they be able to do so now when required against Laois - when they were required to step it up against Fermanagh they were also unable to do so. We know the team are capable of playing good football and that we have a decent squad compared to previous years but our forwards have not clicked yet so perhaps they should just go for it as that appears to be when we play our best football. In a sense you sometimes wonder are the players more concerned with doing what their told and the result than actually letting loose and responding to how the game unfolds as great players do. We have the players and the panel.

Anyway, the team need our support now and hopefully as I said before they get the result in this one which is all that matters, a performance would be a bonus. If they do, the Fermanagh defeat will then truly be put to bed and we can all move on from that shock defeat. I think we need our senior players to set the tone for the rest of the team early in this game, that we need direct running through the middle which is when we are at our most dangerous and hopefully we can then kick on and win the game. Hopefully there are also 10k+ Monaghan fans in Navan this Sunday to support the team. Anyone know who the ref is? My starting team assuming all fit would be the following but I expect MOR will pick a different team.

Beggan
Wylie, Wylie, Kelly/Duffy
Walsh, Corey, O'Connell
Kearns, Hughes
Mc Anesbie, K Hughes, Ward
Mc Carthy, Malone, Mc Manus

OrielPower (Monaghan) - Posts: 106 - 03/07/2018 13:55:48    2118090

Link

Honestly think Conor has been "minding" himself over the last number of games and the ovation he gets is, in the most part, us showing the esteem we hold him in. Henry Shefflin had to go off early in the Kilkenny 5 in a row All Ireland, he got a standing ovation, he wasn't performance on the day, he was getting it for the great performances of the past. Conor is our Henry.

I think Laois will continue the tactic of long balls that gave them relative success against Dublin. We need to be ready for that.

FootblockREF (Monaghan) - Posts: 489 - 03/07/2018 14:09:04    2118094

Link

The Ref is Derek O Mahoney who refereed the Monaghan\Waterford match and harshly sent of Barry Kerr that day with a black card.. Otherwise I can't remember him doing anything else wrong..

Farney (Monaghan) - Posts: 739 - 03/07/2018 14:27:25    2118096

Link