Galway Forum

Galway V Mayo

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To yew_tree:  "Underage success does not guarantee senior success. Mayo u20s this year lost to ye on penalties and Galway are in an all Ireland final now. Underage is about development and priming these lads for the future...success at underage is great but not the b all."
You have all the answers now... after one win.. you didnt even see this coming and have been doom and gloom about Mayo football for quite a while..

Galwaymaster9 (Galway) - Posts: 272 - 19/10/2020 18:41:48    2299331

Link

Replying To yew_tree:  "Underage success does not guarantee senior success. Mayo u20s this year lost to ye on penalties and Galway are in an all Ireland final now. Underage is about development and priming these lads for the future...success at underage is great but not the b all."
Exactly. It's about developing lads as footballers and hopefully bringing them through to senior level. Our hurlers would be a prime example of winning at minor not being the be all and end all.
We've lost 2 All-Ireland minor finals and an U21 final in the last 4 years, but good players have come through or are coming from these teams.
You wouldn't think it from yesterday though. :)

WanPintWin (Galway) - Posts: 883 - 19/10/2020 18:49:37    2299334

Link

Replying To Kickitout:  "A lot of soul searching required I think in last 5 years Galway have tried about 12 different goalies and still can't find one dubs had I think 5 in 25 years ,, all top teams have top class keeper who comfortab with ball and can kick it out Galway have not got one and power is not much better he poor with ball in hand can't solo it either , I think Oran Burke who was under 20 godlie last year best prospect , not for this year but after that ,,
Not enough pace at all I'n our team all the players are as fit as any county but no pace there is a difference, , Sean Andy , Maher Leonard Daly not near good enough for county Burke' should be tried centre forward not near good enough in full forward line and if he not doing it there sub need at least 6 changes v Dubs"
why is Daly getting a run with Galway could some one tell me .

3inarowsham (Galway) - Posts: 53 - 19/10/2020 19:42:12    2299349

Link

Well we have another Live match on TG4 Sunday 2pm v "the jacks"
Really really hope Galway get their fingers out and give it a right good lash.
In the words of Kevin Keegan "oh I'd love to beat them"!!!

katser (Galway) - Posts: 1087 - 19/10/2020 20:02:38    2299355

Link

Replying To WanPintWin:  "Exactly. It's about developing lads as footballers and hopefully bringing them through to senior level. Our hurlers would be a prime example of winning at minor not being the be all and end all.
We've lost 2 All-Ireland minor finals and an U21 final in the last 4 years, but good players have come through or are coming from these teams.
You wouldn't think it from yesterday though. :)"
Actually lost 3 of the last 4 minor finals. 2 to Kerry and to Cork last year.

Marooned (Galway) - Posts: 1787 - 19/10/2020 20:03:27    2299356

Link

Replying To Marooned:  "Actually lost 3 of the last 4 minor finals. 2 to Kerry and to Cork last year."
True. I'd forgotten about the 'Clifford goal' final.

WanPintWin (Galway) - Posts: 883 - 19/10/2020 20:43:33    2299380

Link

Replying To Toman:  "While I might agree with a lot of what you say re under age, I don't agree with you that yesterday result won't matter when they meet again. Winning games brings out a confidence in players. If next week goes ahead I expect mayo to stay in division 1. Mayo always play better when a win is vital. How many times have we seen in the past number of years, Mayo in relegation and always avoid it. As for Galway
( and I genuinely hope I'm wrong) I would worry for them after yesterday's performance."
I hope you're right about next week Toman, although I honestly can't reconcile the way Galway performed earlier in the league with what we saw y/day, so I'm choosing, as I expect Horan and the Mayo set-up in general will, to take it as a freak or even a deception. No good team becomes bad overnight or because of one performance.

Pericles (Mayo) - Posts: 2218 - 19/10/2020 20:54:08    2299383

Link

Replying To Galwaymaster9:  "You have all the answers now... after one win.. you didnt even see this coming and have been doom and gloom about Mayo football for quite a while.."
Never claimed to have any answers just giving an option as it's an in-line forum...I must have hit a nerve. IF we meet in championship is will be a close 50/50 game but we have to try stay up and then beat Leitrim and Roscommon before we even think about playing Galway again.

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 10352 - 19/10/2020 21:01:47    2299389

Link

Replying To Marooned:  "Actually lost 3 of the last 4 minor finals. 2 to Kerry and to Cork last year."
When you look at it we should have an outrageous U20 team in 2021, Jonathan McGrath, Tony Gill, Cathal Sweeney, Ryan Monaghan, Cian Monaghan, Cian Hernon, James McLoughlin, Paul Kelly, Conor Raftery, Aidan Halloran, Tomo Culhane, Oisin Gormley, Matthew Cooley, Daniel Cox and Nathan Grainger all underage

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 442 - 19/10/2020 21:32:49    2299404

Link

Replying To brisbane:  "The s&c of the players is the worst i have ever seen"
Agreed, the S&C is way off the mark now. If almost every one of our players seems to be on their ass when the pressure is on, down on their hunkers 'injured', it's because as a collective they're simply not fit enough, not strong enough, getting winded from hits, no pace for their direct opponent. And as for Damo being perma-injured, I have to question his/the team's physios prep with him. You don't see too many Dubs pulling a hamstring.

togoutlads (Galway) - Posts: 299 - 19/10/2020 21:47:39    2299407

Link

Replying To brisbane:  "Silke is not a good defender hes more concerned with attacking remember carr roasting him for that famous goal last year? Burke wont shoot or defend more concerned with passing the ball around not good for a 14. Poor guys like Leonard making debuts yesterday cant remember him touching the ball once. When i saw Gary Sice was recalled to the Galway panel i knew we were in big trouble. People need to watch last years u20s and compare them to this years to see the trouble we could be in."
Little bit of a chip on the shoulder over Corofin. At least throw in some other player so it doesn't seem so bitter

Pullin.lambs1 (Galway) - Posts: 69 - 20/10/2020 04:59:21    2299460

Link

Still in disbelief regarding Sunday's performance as is most football fans. Preparations obviously haven't gone as well as expected. Strange times at the moment and when you see the difference in different match ups It is a pure sign Mayo are far superior. A huge gap between the two sides. Down to the basics. Defending & scoring.

What went on in Moycullen after the county final.

What went on in Tuam during the intermediate final
Things like that cause upset in groups.

Comer pulling up after 4 mins with a hamstring injury.

Last Sunday weeks hard session with McGuinness couldn't have helped either. If there are training programs in place through out the last few months then bang bring in a guy with a totally different out look can only bring trouble. Lads flat footed. Forwards not working hard enough. Big AOS being made look like an animal in ff. a lot of pride at stake next Sunday. Hopefully it will be restored. No need for the blame game. Across the board it was very poor. Defo as a group they can improve whether it's by Sunday or into spring 2021 I'd take either at this stage as long as there is improvement

Pullin.lambs1 (Galway) - Posts: 69 - 20/10/2020 05:21:50    2299462

Link

Replying To 3inarowsham:  "why is Daly getting a run with Galway could some one tell me ."
Really do ye not rate Michael Daly in Galway? From what i have seen of him i would have him ahead of most Galway forwards. Don't rate Burke at all honestly cant understand how he is still on the team living off a few nice hand pass assits from a few years ago.

sourmilk93 (Roscommon) - Posts: 577 - 20/10/2020 09:17:22    2299471

Link

Replying To Pullin.lambs1:  "Still in disbelief regarding Sunday's performance as is most football fans. Preparations obviously haven't gone as well as expected. Strange times at the moment and when you see the difference in different match ups It is a pure sign Mayo are far superior. A huge gap between the two sides. Down to the basics. Defending & scoring.

What went on in Moycullen after the county final.

What went on in Tuam during the intermediate final
Things like that cause upset in groups.

Comer pulling up after 4 mins with a hamstring injury.

Last Sunday weeks hard session with McGuinness couldn't have helped either. If there are training programs in place through out the last few months then bang bring in a guy with a totally different out look can only bring trouble. Lads flat footed. Forwards not working hard enough. Big AOS being made look like an animal in ff. a lot of pride at stake next Sunday. Hopefully it will be restored. No need for the blame game. Across the board it was very poor. Defo as a group they can improve whether it's by Sunday or into spring 2021 I'd take either at this stage as long as there is improvement"
No need for the blame game!! And yet you are blaming Moycullen people, all the Galway coaches..
How do you know what sort of training session was done in Tuam last week?
Basing it on 30 seconds of a phone clip?

Galwaymaster9 (Galway) - Posts: 272 - 20/10/2020 09:55:06    2299481

Link

Replying To sourmilk93:  "Really do ye not rate Michael Daly in Galway? From what i have seen of him i would have him ahead of most Galway forwards. Don't rate Burke at all honestly cant understand how he is still on the team living off a few nice hand pass assits from a few years ago."
I'm a big fan of michael Daly but feel lately he is looking to play as a playmaker than take on his man and get scores

Ayeartilmonday (Galway) - Posts: 62 - 20/10/2020 10:21:35    2299489

Link

Replying To johnterry:  "I don't know about the rest of ye but I'm really missing that thumbs down option"
Yes, some of the comments on here are really frustrating!

Ayeartilmonday (Galway) - Posts: 62 - 20/10/2020 10:22:45    2299492

Link

Replying To Galwaymaster9:  "No need for the blame game!! And yet you are blaming Moycullen people, all the Galway coaches..
How do you know what sort of training session was done in Tuam last week?
Basing it on 30 seconds of a phone clip?"
Didn't blame anybody. The Moycullen were pulled out of the panel and it was splashed all over the media. Jesus the lads just won their first county final and it will always have the following weeks of problems attached it it. Tell me that didn't upset things

No blame. just the group had lads taken out of it. Didn't blame the coaches either. a different guy in doing the training with new methods. A week out of a big game after months of not playing together just might of thrown things a bit. No blame. Across the board it was poor. Listen to Joyce's interview after. One statement from him tells ya he knows it was bad. And it was a hard session

Pullin.lambs1 (Galway) - Posts: 69 - 20/10/2020 11:04:24    2299506

Link

ben awhile since i was on here..while sunday was a bad day for everybody involved.,the players will no themselves that it wasnt good enough..ive absolute no douth that they will put in a much better performance this following weekend,
the result might not matter if kerry beat donegal on saturday.,but a performance is crucial heading into the champ..
quick question.,does anybody no if enda tierney and antain o laoi is on/off the panel..had a solid club champ.,without douth there needs to be a few changes and there will be.,id also like to give maher ago at 6.,we no what bradshaw can do so why not give the young man ago..will be lacking notting in physicality..
my team for sunday including moycullen players if available.
1. gleeson., derserves another go..
2.sean kelly.,best man marker
3.mulkerrins., future full back for years to come so play him now.
4.liam silke.,his best position.,good man marker.,
5.,molloy.,time for this man to step up for galway.
6. john maher, j.foley.,bit risky i no but both can play this position.,
7.,mcdaid or dylan wall if fit.,needs a game for galway at this stage.
8.cian darcy., developing nicely.
9.,tom flynn.,never lets us down and rock solid with massive workrate.,
10.antain o laoi if fit and available..y not..
11.p. conroy.,playing very well and can add to midfield plus great passing ability.,
12.,micky boyle..id give him another go..hugh engine and can kick a score.
13.,ian burk.,best position.,
14.,rob finnerty.,developing well and solid free taker.,
15., dessie connolly., deserves his place after wonderful club champ and a man in form.

subs., power.,sean andy.,bradshaw.,heaney.,enda tierney.,o donnell.,daly.,varley.,brannigan.,steede if fit.

team i would go with or something close to it..with good impact players coming off the bance.

gbay (Galway) - Posts: 50 - 20/10/2020 11:55:53    2299537

Link

Replying To Pullin.lambs1:  "Didn't blame anybody. The Moycullen were pulled out of the panel and it was splashed all over the media. Jesus the lads just won their first county final and it will always have the following weeks of problems attached it it. Tell me that didn't upset things

No blame. just the group had lads taken out of it. Didn't blame the coaches either. a different guy in doing the training with new methods. A week out of a big game after months of not playing together just might of thrown things a bit. No blame. Across the board it was poor. Listen to Joyce's interview after. One statement from him tells ya he knows it was bad. And it was a hard session"
Agree totally. And don't blame Moycullen one bit. No disrespect to corofin but they were getting so used of winning they didn't celebrate anymore. Anyway that's why Joyce has a panel of 35 lads and it's up to management on how they perform.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 572 - 20/10/2020 12:06:11    2299541

Link

Replying To gbay:  "ben awhile since i was on here..while sunday was a bad day for everybody involved.,the players will no themselves that it wasnt good enough..ive absolute no douth that they will put in a much better performance this following weekend,
the result might not matter if kerry beat donegal on saturday.,but a performance is crucial heading into the champ..
quick question.,does anybody no if enda tierney and antain o laoi is on/off the panel..had a solid club champ.,without douth there needs to be a few changes and there will be.,id also like to give maher ago at 6.,we no what bradshaw can do so why not give the young man ago..will be lacking notting in physicality..
my team for sunday including moycullen players if available.
1. gleeson., derserves another go..
2.sean kelly.,best man marker
3.mulkerrins., future full back for years to come so play him now.
4.liam silke.,his best position.,good man marker.,
5.,molloy.,time for this man to step up for galway.
6. john maher, j.foley.,bit risky i no but both can play this position.,
7.,mcdaid or dylan wall if fit.,needs a game for galway at this stage.
8.cian darcy., developing nicely.
9.,tom flynn.,never lets us down and rock solid with massive workrate.,
10.antain o laoi if fit and available..y not..
11.p. conroy.,playing very well and can add to midfield plus great passing ability.,
12.,micky boyle..id give him another go..hugh engine and can kick a score.
13.,ian burk.,best position.,
14.,rob finnerty.,developing well and solid free taker.,
15., dessie connolly., deserves his place after wonderful club champ and a man in form.

subs., power.,sean andy.,bradshaw.,heaney.,enda tierney.,o donnell.,daly.,varley.,brannigan.,steede if fit.

team i would go with or something close to it..with good impact players coming off the bance."
Troll

MapleSyrup (Galway) - Posts: 82 - 20/10/2020 13:16:52    2299570

Link