April 2017 Division 2 Final at Croke Park

Saturday, February 04, 2017
National Football League Division 2
Round 1 - Páirc Esler, Newry @19:00
Down v Fermanagh
Referee: Fergal Kelly

erneboy (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1320 - 30/01/2017 12:51:10    1950087

Link

I can't call this one.... what I have seen of Down so far this year is an improvement on last year. Fermanagh are good and wee Pete making noises about an ulster title this year so should be a good game. If downs marquee players perform Ryan Johnston and Caolan mooney and some scores from Alan Davidson and barry o hagan then they should not be far away...but fermanagh are favourites.

downtothecore (Down) - Posts: 329 - 30/01/2017 21:36:49    1950358

Link

Down away is a must win for Fermanagh if we are to stay in the division. The other major games we need to be making sure of wins from are both Clare & Derry at Brewster Park. Then there is always the possibility of picking something up away to kildare and away to meath (who we have been something of a bogie team for in recent seasons). Kildare have good players and will be tough on their patch. Meath certainly dont possess any greater quality than we do so it will be interesting how that game goes. Galway will always be difficult and Cork away anything wil be a bonus. Survival is not beyond us, a few new faces this year will do no harm in terms of injecting a bit more hunger and competition. For what its worthy my predictions are:

Down: Fermanagh win by 1pt
Galway: Galway win by 3pts
Cork: Cork win by 5pts
Kildare: Kildare by 2pts
Clare: Fermanagh by 3pts
Meath: Draw game
Derry: Fermanagh win by 1pt

7 points will be enough.

RedRum (Fermanagh) - Posts: 269 - 31/01/2017 10:17:20    1950460

Link

Replying To RedRum:  "Down away is a must win for Fermanagh if we are to stay in the division. The other major games we need to be making sure of wins from are both Clare & Derry at Brewster Park. Then there is always the possibility of picking something up away to kildare and away to meath (who we have been something of a bogie team for in recent seasons). Kildare have good players and will be tough on their patch. Meath certainly dont possess any greater quality than we do so it will be interesting how that game goes. Galway will always be difficult and Cork away anything wil be a bonus. Survival is not beyond us, a few new faces this year will do no harm in terms of injecting a bit more hunger and competition. For what its worthy my predictions are:

Down: Fermanagh win by 1pt
Galway: Galway win by 3pts
Cork: Cork win by 5pts
Kildare: Kildare by 2pts
Clare: Fermanagh by 3pts
Meath: Draw game
Derry: Fermanagh win by 1pt

7 points will be enough."
Another tough league campaign kicks of this weekend with the trip to Newry. All teams this weekend will be looking to get off with positive start but this game is pivotal for how both teams league campaign will unfold. Down will be eager to prove they are over last years struggles while Fermanagh will be keen to get an away win which could set them them up nicely for shot at promotion,while defeat leaves completely different scenario.
Fermanagh need to reduce number of fouls,this was noticeable in McKenna Cup semi v Tyrone,Down have excellent free taker in Alan Davidson,so all mistakes will be punished.

Of the new players featured,Cian McManus, Lee Cullen and Eddie Courtney are most likely to feature,with the midfield selection alongside Eoin Donnelly being a key selection. Ryan Jones absence could be crucial.

Pete McGrath has been trying to instil greater belief in his players,this league campaign will show if they are buying into this with confidence on the pitch. Looking forward to the game,try and get over to Pairc Esler Saturday and cheer on the lads as they embark on another league journey.

macca999 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 922 - 01/02/2017 22:57:22    1951087

Link

Changes from 2016: Clare and Kildare made the leap up from Division Three, with Down and Cork dropping down from the top flight.
Odds to be promoted:
Cork 4/6
Galway 5/4
Meath 2/1
Kildare 5/2
Derry 3/1
Down 4/1
Fermanagh 5/1
Clare 7/1

Online survey: Who will win Allianz FL Division 2?
Clare 4 %
Cork 20 %
Derry 6 %
Down 6 %
Fermanagh 5 %
Galway 31 %
Kildare 7 %
Meath 20 %

Given given all the predictions above Fermanagh will be relegated. I notice macca999 is sitting tight on his fence as he hasn't given his prediction other than his normal waffle that adds up to nothing!

YesterdaysMan (Fermanagh) - Posts: 732 - 02/02/2017 14:27:16    1951246

Link

Replying To YesterdaysMan:  "Changes from 2016: Clare and Kildare made the leap up from Division Three, with Down and Cork dropping down from the top flight.
Odds to be promoted:
Cork 4/6
Galway 5/4
Meath 2/1
Kildare 5/2
Derry 3/1
Down 4/1
Fermanagh 5/1
Clare 7/1

Online survey: Who will win Allianz FL Division 2?
Clare 4 %
Cork 20 %
Derry 6 %
Down 6 %
Fermanagh 5 %
Galway 31 %
Kildare 7 %
Meath 20 %

Given given all the predictions above Fermanagh will be relegated. I notice macca999 is sitting tight on his fence as he hasn't given his prediction other than his normal waffle that adds up to nothing!"
What are your predictions?
Maccas post was a load of drivel but don't criticise another poster for not giving a prediction when you are lodged on the fence with him.

gotmilk (Fermanagh) - Posts: 4971 - 02/02/2017 16:12:59    1951282

Link

Replying To gotmilk:  "What are your predictions?
Maccas post was a load of drivel but don't criticise another poster for not giving a prediction when you are lodged on the fence with him."
gotmilk or should I say macca999 by another name? But to help you understand clearly my position I will restate what I said in my original post and that is ""Given given all the predictions above Fermanagh will be relegated". If you don't understand plain english then there are always evening classes you can attend in Enniskillen!

YesterdaysMan (Fermanagh) - Posts: 732 - 02/02/2017 17:28:05    1951301

Link

Replying To YesterdaysMan:  "gotmilk or should I say macca999 by another name? But to help you understand clearly my position I will restate what I said in my original post and that is ""Given given all the predictions above Fermanagh will be relegated". If you don't understand plain english then there are always evening classes you can attend in Enniskillen!"
Not macca. Plenty of people know who I am and they know I'm not macca.
Given given is great use of the English language. Perhaps you should attend some of these English classes that you speak so highly of.

gotmilk (Fermanagh) - Posts: 4971 - 02/02/2017 18:03:39    1951310

Link

I think this opening game of the NFL for Fermanagh will be crucial as if they lose to Down that will make it an uphill battle from the start of the season to stay up in div2. Fermanagh must win against the weaker teams as when they meet the Cork, Meath, Galway and Kildare teams it will be difficult to accrue points from these games. I wouldn't be so sure of a win against Derry either or even Clare away. Obviously McGrath from what we read in the media is currently using psychological methods to try to instill his players into believing in themselves but I think if he doesn't achieve something from the NFL and the championships then he is unlikely to be able to serve another season. Maybe, that might be no bad thing as new blood brings new starts and enthusiasm as we have seen happening in other counties. But I guess it's too early to make a judgement call at this stage but hopefully some luck will come Fermanagh's way in 2017. We must live in hope!

BigToeJoe (Fermanagh) - Posts: 134 - 02/02/2017 21:32:21    1951351

Link

Such a bunch of negative whinge bags ..... I predict Fermanagh to finish 3rd or 4th as there are no world beaters in div2 ... McGrath was right on the tv a few weeks back as many of you still have no belief .. I was in castlebar last year and watched some excellent football on mayos home patch a team that should have been all Ireland champions ... start believing in your team

AnBuachaillGlas (Fermanagh) - Posts: 287 - 02/02/2017 22:42:21    1951370

Link

Replying To BigToeJoe:  "I think this opening game of the NFL for Fermanagh will be crucial as if they lose to Down that will make it an uphill battle from the start of the season to stay up in div2. Fermanagh must win against the weaker teams as when they meet the Cork, Meath, Galway and Kildare teams it will be difficult to accrue points from these games. I wouldn't be so sure of a win against Derry either or even Clare away. Obviously McGrath from what we read in the media is currently using psychological methods to try to instill his players into believing in themselves but I think if he doesn't achieve something from the NFL and the championships then he is unlikely to be able to serve another season. Maybe, that might be no bad thing as new blood brings new starts and enthusiasm as we have seen happening in other counties. But I guess it's too early to make a judgement call at this stage but hopefully some luck will come Fermanagh's way in 2017. We must live in hope!"
What have Meath and Kildare done to be considered strong sides? Kildare were beaten by dublins third string xv.

gotmilk (Fermanagh) - Posts: 4971 - 03/02/2017 08:03:19    1951412

Link

NFL Division 2 Round 1 Down 0-10 Fermanagh 1-16. Fermanagh's starting team tonight: Thomas Treacy, Michael Jones, Che Cullen, Cian McManus, Declan McCusker, Ryan McCluskey, Aidan Breen (0-2), Eoin Donnelly, Lee Cullen, Barry Mullrone (0-1), Eoin McManus (1-0), Paul McCusker (0-1), Eddie Courtney (0-1), Sean Quigley (0-1), Tomas Corrigan (0-7). Fielding subs: Cathal Beacon (0-1) for Eddie Courtney, Daryl Keenan on for Eoin McManus, James McMahon on for Ryan McCluskey, Patrick Reihill on for Paul McCusker (0-1), Ryan Lyons (0-1) on for Sean Quigley., Thomas McCaffrey on for Tomas Corrigan. Man of the Match: Tomas Corrigan

erneboy (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1320 - 04/02/2017 21:15:57    1951907

Link

Replying To gotmilk:  "What have Meath and Kildare done to be considered strong sides? Kildare were beaten by dublins third string xv."
The contenders for promotion are Cork,Galway and Fermanagh.

ziggy32001 (Meath) - Posts: 8354 - 05/02/2017 10:51:58    1952019

Link

Replying To ziggy32001:  "The contenders for promotion are Cork,Galway and Fermanagh."
Hey ziggy I like your optimism in respective of Fermanagh but to rule out your our Meath county makes your predictions questionable.
The way I see things:
Fermanagh has beaten Down but no surprise ther which gives us a good start to the league;
Fermanagh probably losing to Galway;
Cork most likely being too strong for Fermanagh;
Kildare hoping for a win or a draw but Fermanagh will likely gain the points in this encounter;
Fermanagh at home should no doubt win against Clare;
Meath has home advantage so a Fermanagh may not happen;
Fermanagh at home should beat Derry.
Give these predictions I see Fermanagh's outcome as more about secure there place in div2 than promotion!

cillnaile. (Fermanagh) - Posts: 961 - 05/02/2017 12:17:22    1952041

Link

2 points Sunday would be a big ask but very possible.
weemanmc (Fermanagh) - Posts:83 - 05/02/2017 20:44:42

Hi weeman it certainly would be a a BIG ASK!!!

cillnaile. (Fermanagh) - Posts: 961 - 06/02/2017 10:36:37    1952593

Link

NFL Div2 table:
Team Pld W D L F A Diff Pts
Kildare 1 1 0 0 3-17 0-16 10 2
Fermanagh 1 1 0 0 1-16 0-10 9 2
Galway 1 0 1 0 0-14 1-11 0 1
Cork 1 0 1 0 1-11 0-14 0 1
Clare 1 0 1 0 1-8 0-11 0 1
Derry 1 0 1 0 0-11 1-8 0 1
Down 1 0 0 1 0-10 1-16 -9 0
Meath 1 0 0 1 0-16 3-17 -10 0

cillnaile. (Fermanagh) - Posts: 961 - 06/02/2017 10:43:39    1952595

Link

Replying To cillnaile.:  "Hey ziggy I like your optimism in respective of Fermanagh but to rule out your our Meath county makes your predictions questionable.
The way I see things:
Fermanagh has beaten Down but no surprise ther which gives us a good start to the league;
Fermanagh probably losing to Galway;
Cork most likely being too strong for Fermanagh;
Kildare hoping for a win or a draw but Fermanagh will likely gain the points in this encounter;
Fermanagh at home should no doubt win against Clare;
Meath has home advantage so a Fermanagh may not happen;
Fermanagh at home should beat Derry.
Give these predictions I see Fermanagh's outcome as more about secure there place in div2 than promotion!"
Think ye have a decent chance of beating us. 50/50 game. Bar Meath and Down who appear in free fall it is all to play for in Div 2. I posted on the main forum on Sat under the Div 2 thread that i reckoned Fermanagh are a lot better than given credit. We were average yesterday. Could have won and could have lost if that is not a contradcition. Missing Shane Walsh not helping as on his day he has it all. Who will deal with Tomás Corrigan is a worry as he is a great forward and was the best on show last year in Tuam when we had 15 wides. Pity we have our more difficult games at the start of the league but that is the draw i guess. If we come away from Enniskillen with a win i will be delighted.

kiloughter (Galway) - Posts: 1772 - 06/02/2017 11:12:50    1952616

Link

Replying To kiloughter:  "Think ye have a decent chance of beating us. 50/50 game. Bar Meath and Down who appear in free fall it is all to play for in Div 2. I posted on the main forum on Sat under the Div 2 thread that i reckoned Fermanagh are a lot better than given credit. We were average yesterday. Could have won and could have lost if that is not a contradcition. Missing Shane Walsh not helping as on his day he has it all. Who will deal with Tomás Corrigan is a worry as he is a great forward and was the best on show last year in Tuam when we had 15 wides. Pity we have our more difficult games at the start of the league but that is the draw i guess. If we come away from Enniskillen with a win i will be delighted."
Shocked to read that you are downgrading your own county team citing that Fermanagh is on a parallel with us. This couldn't be further from the truth when you analyse Galway and Cork as top teams in terms of ability and experience compared with Fermanagh who struggled to avoid relegation last season. By your own admission Down is in free fall, therefore Fermanagh's task was easy yesterday so let's see how they will do when they meet a real robust div2 team. I await your respoinse next week to my comment today.

WestRules (Galway) - Posts: 253 - 06/02/2017 12:20:45    1952672

Link

Replying To WestRules:  "Shocked to read that you are downgrading your own county team citing that Fermanagh is on a parallel with us. This couldn't be further from the truth when you analyse Galway and Cork as top teams in terms of ability and experience compared with Fermanagh who struggled to avoid relegation last season. By your own admission Down is in free fall, therefore Fermanagh's task was easy yesterday so let's see how they will do when they meet a real robust div2 team. I await your respoinse next week to my comment today."
Downgrading y own county? Ah come on. Are you not overegging it a bit? I don't do plámas but in fairness Fermanagh are far more consistent than many give them credit for. We are certainly improving although i was disappointed with our performance in the first half yesterday (we should have done a lot more route one with that wind). Our response near the end of the second half against the wind showed character and certainly shows we have come on in this regard since the Alan Mull days. However Enniskillen will be no place for messing about with the ball.If you recall we have given away many calamitous goals in the league over the last two years (2 against Laois 2 yrs ago, last season at home to both Tyrone and Meath) and again yesterday don't mind mentioning that disaster goal in the 2015 championship against Mayo often because of silly goalkeeper short kick outs. As a side note while Down may be in free fall it is still difficult to go to Newry and win by 9 points.

kiloughter (Galway) - Posts: 1772 - 06/02/2017 13:10:08    1952688

Link

Good to get the win away on Sat night lads but we don't need to get carried away as the result needs to be judged against playing a woeful Down outfit. Galway will really show us how far we have progressed. Good to see a few big physical players players making their mark - the Cullens, Eoin McManus and when you add Donnelly and Jones to that, when he returns we will have solid look to us. Kick outs remain a problem for us ... we need to have a plan and not have the keeper pondering on where he should kick it to every time he sets it on the tee. This slows the whole thing down and allows the opposition to set up against us. Tomas was good on Sat night but he needs to be less selfish on occasion and not shoot from impossible angles like the one he tried from near the corner flag ... . . a couple of times players burst past him on a support run but he didn't give it off....better teams will close him down. All told, a reasonable start and bring on Sunday !!

thewayiseeit (UK) - Posts: 47 - 06/02/2017 13:10:22    1952689

Link