Galway Forum

Galway V Dublin League Final

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Forgot to mention Danny Cummins earlier

Maroonedinlongford (Galway) - Posts: 242 - 02/04/2018 13:45:29    2090297

Link

Disappointed with yesterday's game.The Dubs were there for the taking I believe but we failed to push on when we had a man advantage.When the game was in the melting pot the Dubs kept their heads and we made some very basic errors like Conroy shooting with his left when he had two men outside him,Sean Andy shooting from distance and soloing into 3 Dubs & losing possession, Kelly failing to control a pass first time near the end.
I also thought management slipped up by not using the bench earlier, it was clear early in the 2nd half that some of our lads were 'sucking diesel' but no changes were made till the last 10 minutes.
I really hate giving out about refs but it has to be said that the ref was poor yesterday, he seemed to be out of his depth and unable to make decisions.Did he bring his black card to the game? Surely there were two black card offences on Comer early in the game.
Comer was terrific, what an asset he is! Don't believe there is a full back in the country who could handle him.
Spillane & Brolly have turned into a comedy duo on the Sunday Game, all praise for the Dubs and criticism for Galway's 1-13-1 system while ignoring the fact that no team is better than the Dubs at getting men behind the ball, the poor riffing standard and other talking points, in fact damn all analysis of the game, the could have recorded that show before the game started such was the level of analysis!
Looking forward to a big weekend in May, surely Daly, Ian Burke, the Farraghers, Molloy and Lundy will have parts to play.

Barnowl94 (Galway) - Posts: 3150 - 02/04/2018 14:25:39    2090316

Link

A good performance yesterday gave the ball away for 5 of there scores when we had it with very little pressure conroy did well but needs stop taking frees gave away 2 points just kicked ball straight 2 Dublin players and does this all the time he not able 2 take them also brining on players with 4-5 mins left I believe it cost us the game with 15-20 left some players out on there feet because they had put in massive effort Tom Flynn adrian varely o Donnell and Duane should have being introduced then but could not fault effort at all and taking off Shane Walsh made no sense at all ,

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 453 - 02/04/2018 15:54:57    2090348

Link

Galway were well beaten by the Dubs,,, playing with a storm and a man up Galway should have hammered the Dubs....
No Excuse.....

hoppingball (Galway) - Posts: 963 - 02/04/2018 16:15:44    2090357

Link

Replying To hoppingball:  "Galway were well beaten by the Dubs,,, playing with a storm and a man up Galway should have hammered the Dubs....
No Excuse....."
Rock pointed a '50' into 'the storm'. Both teams got more scores into 'the storm'. 'The storm' has clearly been overstated in some quarters.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 2378 - 02/04/2018 17:04:43    2090377

Link

Replying To Pope_Benedict:  "Rock pointed a '50' into 'the storm'. Both teams got more scores into 'the storm'. 'The storm' has clearly been overstated in some quarters."
No excuse Pope, Galway got a fair pasting in the last 20minutes,,,,, not happy with the days work at all......

hoppingball (Galway) - Posts: 963 - 02/04/2018 17:33:27    2090384

Link

Replying To hoppingball:  "No excuse Pope, Galway got a fair pasting in the last 20minutes,,,,, not happy with the days work at all......"
Good man hoppingball, a very apt user name. Let's see if you get any bites. Haven't posted in a while but I see there's still the usual quota of WUMs on here...

johnjoe21 (Galway) - Posts: 97 - 02/04/2018 18:37:46    2090397

Link

It was only after I got home did I hear people talking about the breeze. Didn't feel much breeze where I was sitting in Croker anyway.

Townee2018 (Galway) - Posts: 216 - 02/04/2018 18:37:48    2090398

Link

We lost a league final by 4 points to a team that have won the AI 5 times in the last 7 years
Why do we think we should walk out of 2001 and into 2018 and beat them ???
Does not make sense to me
Also agree with poster above and his remarks regarding analysis on RTE
In the main it is lazy opinion
Also they could have recorded the analysis yesterday morning , option A if Dublin win and B if Galway do
The football analysists criticise their game all the time, yes it's not the same as it was in 1988 when fellas were kicking dung out of each other (thank God)
Never get rugby or hurling analysts (it's only a bit of handbags Ger) slagging off their game

Maroonedinlongford (Galway) - Posts: 242 - 02/04/2018 19:01:39    2090405

Link

Regarding the game on Sunday, to be honest I was happy enough with the result, maybe we should have lost by a point or two, I thought 4points didn't do us justice really... then again if we lost by only a point I'd probably be saying we should have won it!! Hahaha! Ref was very bad in my opinion... comer was really pulled and dragged all sides n the first half, Defo should have shown a black card or two n da first half...

Regarding demo he really really needs support n that forward line badly.... and one man comes to mind that would be perfect support to comer would be Ian Burke, he definitely would have been the difference on Sunday if he was available... or even Martin Farragher...

Burke feeding comer or Vice a versa the perfect match...

Hupgalway (Galway) - Posts: 239 - 03/04/2018 08:48:12    2090524

Link

"Dublin could have incurred a couple of black cards, the sending off was on the harsh side, and then Galway couldn't buy a free after Scully was sent off." This quote is from an article on rte.ie this morning.
Does anyone have the stats on free count from Sunday.

Connemaraman (Galway) - Posts: 88 - 03/04/2018 09:10:29    2090530

Link

Replying To Connemaraman:  ""Dublin could have incurred a couple of black cards, the sending off was on the harsh side, and then Galway couldn't buy a free after Scully was sent off." This quote is from an article on rte.ie this morning.
Does anyone have the stats on free count from Sunday."
I do think dublin deserved to win our lads will only learn from their mistakes. If it was championship I'd be gutted because I feel we had the ability to win it. But dublin being the better team doesnt excuse a poor ref. The free against c.sweeney near the end of the 2nd half to me didn't look like a free and he along with the Galway players look disgusted with the decision. It ended up in an easily kickable point for Dean rock at a crucial point in the game -Anyone watching on tv know for certain?

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1210 - 03/04/2018 09:46:54    2090540

Link

Firstly, regardless of what happens from here on, 2018 is already marked down as a very successful year for our footballers and management. Last year ourselves and Kildare gained promotion from DIV 2 with not much between the 2 teams. Kildare have returned to DIV 2, with zero points, while we have beaten every team in DIV one bar the Dubs. We have improved many aspects of our game, and are now dining at the top table. The biggest bookmaker in Ireland has us installed as fourth favourites to win the big one, after Dublin, Kerry and Mayo.
Hopefully the required improvement will come, but it may be a bit ambitious to expect it to come this year. As KW pointed out after the game on Sunday, 5 of his starting 15 from the league final have yet to play one minute of championship football. This is a great statistic going forward but is also a big ask going to Castlebar. I do not want to take away in any way from the effort put in against Dublin but I do have a few concerns. It is said we put them to the pin of their collar and were in with a chance of winning with less than 10 minutes remaining, which is true. However, we were also cut open easily and required 3 very good point blank saves from Lavelle, including in the first 10 seconds. We had to work very hard for scores, unlike Dublin, and we seemed a bit uncertain and slow when the few chances to go forward arrived. We never looked like testing Cluxton. Yes, I know that Dublin are multiple All Ireland Winners and one of the best teams of all time.
We have the Corofin players available now, but not the one we most need, Liam Silke. I think myself that if Martin Farragher can be accommodated that he will add to us in terms of a scoring threat. I hope also that Michael Daly will be fully fit for the summer as he is the type of player that could give us another bit of improvement. If we do get the better of Mayo it could be good summer.
Finally the ref performance was questioned rightly IMO, same ref who allowed McLoughlan the 13 steps V Donegal the previous Sunday.

giveitlong (Galway) - Posts: 1041 - 03/04/2018 10:14:26    2090552

Link

Replying To Maroonedinlongford:  "We lost a league final by 4 points to a team that have won the AI 5 times in the last 7 years
Why do we think we should walk out of 2001 and into 2018 and beat them ???
Does not make sense to me
Also agree with poster above and his remarks regarding analysis on RTE
In the main it is lazy opinion
Also they could have recorded the analysis yesterday morning , option A if Dublin win and B if Galway do
The football analysists criticise their game all the time, yes it's not the same as it was in 1988 when fellas were kicking dung out of each other (thank God)
Never get rugby or hurling analysts (it's only a bit of handbags Ger) slagging off their game"
The fact that the Dubs have won so many All Irelands & Leagues in recent times and are undoubtedly the best team in the country is irrelevant .You have to believe you can win when you get to a final otherwise you have no chance.The Dubs are well off their best at the moment and were there to be beaten last Sunday, especially once they had a man sent off.In the last 20 minutes they made fewer mistakes than us and deserved to win.
With regard to the wind I was surprised to hear them mention it on the Sunday Game, I was in the Lower Cusack and it didn't seem to be a factor.

Barnowl94 (Galway) - Posts: 3150 - 03/04/2018 13:09:55    2090653

Link

However, we were also cut open easily and required 3 very good point blank saves from Lavelle, including in the first 10 seconds. We had to work very hard for scores, unlike Dublin, and we seemed a bit uncertain and slow when the few chances to go forward arrived. 

The above is so true,and I know it's ifs and buts but had Dublin scored them three goal chances and Galway indeed suffered a 13pt defeat what would the consensus on this forum be?
Look now is the time to find our failings and Dublin did show them up which is great going forward.
I would say Mr rochford noted that the Galway backline is still iffy under the high ball,press up on Galway kickouts for 50/50 chance of possession.
Comer needs to be double marked.
As for Galway a more fluent transition from defence to attack play like the hurlers head up loads of runs from forwards the last day and no ball sent in.still hopeful of a win v mayo but not as confident.

Cornetto2 (Galway) - Posts: 163 - 03/04/2018 13:51:16    2090663

Link

Replying To Cornetto2:  "However, we were also cut open easily and required 3 very good point blank saves from Lavelle, including in the first 10 seconds. We had to work very hard for scores, unlike Dublin, and we seemed a bit uncertain and slow when the few chances to go forward arrived. 

The above is so true,and I know it's ifs and buts but had Dublin scored them three goal chances and Galway indeed suffered a 13pt defeat what would the consensus on this forum be?
Look now is the time to find our failings and Dublin did show them up which is great going forward.
I would say Mr rochford noted that the Galway backline is still iffy under the high ball,press up on Galway kickouts for 50/50 chance of possession.
Comer needs to be double marked.
As for Galway a more fluent transition from defence to attack play like the hurlers head up loads of runs from forwards the last day and no ball sent in.still hopeful of a win v mayo but not as confident."
Very true about the high ball.... spotted that the last day...it's very dodgy alright...

Hupgalway (Galway) - Posts: 239 - 03/04/2018 15:32:05    2090707

Link

Replying To giveitlong:  "Firstly, regardless of what happens from here on, 2018 is already marked down as a very successful year for our footballers and management. Last year ourselves and Kildare gained promotion from DIV 2 with not much between the 2 teams. Kildare have returned to DIV 2, with zero points, while we have beaten every team in DIV one bar the Dubs. We have improved many aspects of our game, and are now dining at the top table. The biggest bookmaker in Ireland has us installed as fourth favourites to win the big one, after Dublin, Kerry and Mayo.
Hopefully the required improvement will come, but it may be a bit ambitious to expect it to come this year. As KW pointed out after the game on Sunday, 5 of his starting 15 from the league final have yet to play one minute of championship football. This is a great statistic going forward but is also a big ask going to Castlebar. I do not want to take away in any way from the effort put in against Dublin but I do have a few concerns. It is said we put them to the pin of their collar and were in with a chance of winning with less than 10 minutes remaining, which is true. However, we were also cut open easily and required 3 very good point blank saves from Lavelle, including in the first 10 seconds. We had to work very hard for scores, unlike Dublin, and we seemed a bit uncertain and slow when the few chances to go forward arrived. We never looked like testing Cluxton. Yes, I know that Dublin are multiple All Ireland Winners and one of the best teams of all time.
We have the Corofin players available now, but not the one we most need, Liam Silke. I think myself that if Martin Farragher can be accommodated that he will add to us in terms of a scoring threat. I hope also that Michael Daly will be fully fit for the summer as he is the type of player that could give us another bit of improvement. If we do get the better of Mayo it could be good summer.
Finally the ref performance was questioned rightly IMO, same ref who allowed McLoughlan the 13 steps V Donegal the previous Sunday."
What do you mean by (I think myself that if Martin Farragher can be accommodated that he will add to us in terms of a scoring threat.) ???? Do they want to play for their County or not?

SAMMYTHEBULL (Galway) - Posts: 1643 - 03/04/2018 17:40:38    2090764

Link

Replying To SAMMYTHEBULL:  "What do you mean by (I think myself that if Martin Farragher can be accommodated that he will add to us in terms of a scoring threat.) ???? Do they want to play for their County or not?"
I have now doubt that they want to play for the County, and they are back training with them, what I meant is will KW be able to find a place for Martin Farragher and Michael Daly, he may be reluctant to change the team. If he does start them who will lose out?

martinjoe (Mayo) - Posts: 431 - 04/04/2018 12:54:45    2091001

Link