Galway Forum

Galway V Mayo

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Lets be honest - we are half the team without Walsh and Comer.
Anyone know why Mulkerrins wasn't playing yesterday? Sean Andy not up to it.
We need to get injuries sorted fast and get our best 15 out there. Other counties aren't picking up injuries after the long layoff and all other teams had their best 15 out. Why hadn't we? Obviously our lads were doing damn all. Carrying a lot of timber some of them.

My changes would be the below

Gleeson / Lavelle
Campbell / Kelly
Sean Andy / Mulkerrins
Heaney / Heaney
Silke / Silke
Duane / O'Donnell
McDaid / McDaid
Maher / Flynn (if can get fit)
Darcy / Conroy
Brannigan / Brannigan
Comer / Comer
Leonard / Daly
Finnerty / Burke
Burke / Walsh
Conroy / Varley

hopballref (Galway) - Posts: 249 - 19/10/2020 09:54:38    2299037

Link

To be fair Mayo played very well yesterday but we have been totally dominant over Mayo at all ages underage for the last 6 years. What happened yesterday is a mystery but hopefully we can get it together for Sunday. One huge positive was the strength in depth we have coming through after the u20's performance on Saturday. Looked miles ahead of a much vaunted Kerry team in terms of skill and game sense.

philip3 (Galway) - Posts: 190 - 19/10/2020 10:06:23    2299044

Link

Replying To MapleSyrup:  "Gleeson had a stinker but he was doing ok up to now. They will persist with him at this stage as putting another goalie in to face the dubs with championship literally around the corner will be a big ask for anyone imo. Sean Andy is so finished its not even funny. When was the last time he played a decent game ? He used to look average under KW when the played a packed defence but after a while that dwindled. Conroy looks unfit and Ian Burke for all the talk about how class he is was very poor. Jason Leonard clearly not at this level and that was evident, a very good club player but that is it. They better pray Shane Walsh comes back firing on all cylinders otherwise it will be a short season."
You haven't got a clue !!

Fewpucks24 (Galway) - Posts: 116 - 19/10/2020 10:19:43    2299048

Link

Is Comer becoming a better player because he's injured? hasn't played well for Galway since early 2018. Not sure why he gets so much credit on here. People talking about commitment issues, the guy got injured playing soccer.
People also going about Shane Walsh too, one player isn't going to swing over 16 points and make us win that game yesterday. We have more problems than that, we don't have good backs or a good midfield simple as that.

candlewax (Galway) - Posts: 229 - 19/10/2020 10:23:16    2299050

Link

Replying To hopballref:  "Lets be honest - we are half the team without Walsh and Comer.
We need to get injuries sorted fast and get our best 15 out there. Other counties aren't picking up injuries after the long layoff and all other teams had their best 15 out. Why hadn't we? Obviously our lads were doing damn all. Carrying a lot of timber some of them.

Gleeson / Lavelle
Campbell / Kelly
Sean Andy / Mulkerrins
Heaney / Heaney
Silke / Silke
Duane / O'Donnell
McDaid / McDaid
Darcy / Conroy
Brannigan / Brannigan
Comer / Comer
Leonard / Daly
Finnerty / Burke
Burke / Walsh
Conroy / Varley"
Correct, few of them are definitely carrying timber.

No more than myself i should add.

MapleSyrup (Galway) - Posts: 80 - 19/10/2020 10:47:54    2299067

Link

did we not play most of league without Comer and played well. Agree Shane Walsh is a loss but Mayo also had injuries. PJ looked at well over 100 lads when he took up the job. I know some brilliant lads that he didn't even give a run to. This is why there's a panel of over 35 players. As regards not throwing the lads who played under the bus, why should he.There is no point in picking lads cause of what club they are from. The book stops with management. PJ is the one who picked this panel and if they aren't up to it they shouldn't be on panel

I see another post saying PJ is concentrated on championship. I for one minute don't believe this as he did say in his interview before game that this could potentially be last game with the way country is heading.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 562 - 19/10/2020 10:49:11    2299069

Link

Lads would ye relax. Yes, Galway had a bad day at the office but that doesnt make them bad players overnight. Mayo were really good yesterday and had their homework done on Galways kickouts. It's still early days and I can still see the Rossies beating Mayo in Connacht

Ayeartilmonday (Galway) - Posts: 62 - 19/10/2020 10:51:38    2299072

Link

Ok....the day after. emotions are a bit more stable and time for critical analysis.

To my mind we looked slower and not as strong or athletic as Mayo. To compound maters we played poorly with the ball, didn't tackle and lacked hunger. The athletic side of it worries me. How can this be?

Some potential explanations

Are we in a heavy training block? Hopefully this is the reason coupled with a poor performance and a Mayo team that had to win

Did players not follow their programs over last 6 months? If this is the reason there is no quick fix. But the management would know this from the various tests they run

Are we just not strong or athletic? I don't believe so because we could compete previously in this regard

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1292 - 19/10/2020 10:59:19    2299079

Link

Replying To kazoochka:  "Annual Bernie Power shouts. Its like people dont remember the Tipp game the Mayo game etc.

Not the answer."
100% correct and baffling that there isn't a keeper in the county that can do the basics i.e command the square, not make obvious mistakes and find a maroon Jersey with a kick out, to my mind Paul Doherty or Adrian Flaherty were the last Galway keepers that I would describe as solid

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 435 - 19/10/2020 11:11:35    2299089

Link

Replying To philip3:  "To be fair Mayo played very well yesterday but we have been totally dominant over Mayo at all ages underage for the last 6 years. What happened yesterday is a mystery but hopefully we can get it together for Sunday. One huge positive was the strength in depth we have coming through after the u20's performance on Saturday. Looked miles ahead of a much vaunted Kerry team in terms of skill and game sense."
very difficult to turn that performance yesterday around in a few weeks

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 435 - 19/10/2020 11:13:24    2299092

Link

Replying To candlewax:  "Is Comer becoming a better player because he's injured? hasn't played well for Galway since early 2018. Not sure why he gets so much credit on here. People talking about commitment issues, the guy got injured playing soccer.
People also going about Shane Walsh too, one player isn't going to swing over 16 points and make us win that game yesterday. We have more problems than that, we don't have good backs or a good midfield simple as that."
A lot more than that wrong yesterday, selection, shape, defensive game plan, attacking game plan, not tracking runners, substitutions, very poor day on the line

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 435 - 19/10/2020 11:15:34    2299094

Link

Replying To Ayeartilmonday:  "Lads would ye relax. Yes, Galway had a bad day at the office but that doesnt make them bad players overnight. Mayo were really good yesterday and had their homework done on Galways kickouts. It's still early days and I can still see the Rossies beating Mayo in Connacht"
Its not early days, we were miles off and the Connacht Final is next month. We have injuries and players not looking match fit after about 6 months away from intercounty

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 435 - 19/10/2020 11:17:21    2299096

Link

Replying To hopballref:  "Lets be honest - we are half the team without Walsh and Comer.

Gleeson / Lavelle
Campbell / Kelly
Sean Andy / Mulkerrins
Heaney / Heaney
Silke / Silke
Duane / O'Donnell
McDaid / McDaid
Darcy / Conroy
Brannigan / Brannigan
Comer / Comer
Leonard / Daly
Finnerty / Burke
Burke / Walsh
Conroy / Varley"
The half back line got absolutely demolished yesterday. I've never seen a HB line be some completely and utterly torn asunder,but you've left it broadly unchanged. Only for GOD getting to grips with Moran it would have been even worse.

WunderBar (Galway) - Posts: 273 - 19/10/2020 11:24:05    2299099

Link

Who was picking up Oisin Mullen. For the Durkin goal whoever it was didn't track him and if that was a Dublin player under Gavin they would have been taken off after.
John Daly a huge loss, GOD gets slated here but he needs to start and possibly even Bradshaw who I'm not a fan of. Conor Campbell has a huge reputation and ill forgive him yesterday because of his age but he was second to every ball and unbelievably played the full game.
Flynn made a difference and despite what people say needed in the team, pity about steede.
Brannigan, Leonard, Daly, not really anything to day, miles off. no impact in attack. didn't track their men, Daly needs to start doing it in Maroon, big reputation.
Varley made a difference and Conroy was our best player, Burke started well but not a man to track back, like Conroy.
Gleeson, all over the shop, I would have taken him off.

Apologies about the harshness of it but I was fuming with the lack of work rate and the lack of action on the sideline, very hard to fix what we saw yesterday in a few weeks.

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 435 - 19/10/2020 11:26:13    2299100

Link

Very like the game in Limerick v Mayo all over again
Mayo opened us up big time again
We have the same problems from goalie to defence
When teams run at us we have no answer
How long has this been going on

rhudson (Galway) - Posts: 1214 - 19/10/2020 11:28:14    2299103

Link

This forum is so negative!! Fair enough, yesterday was a dark day for Galway and there will be a lot of soul searching but some people here seem to get a kick out of seeing players/mgmt have a bad day?!

Its very easy for everyone here to hide behind a keyboard and give out stink, but I genuinely hope the lads bounce back and get back to the savage football they were playing before the break.

THERE IS ENOUGH NEGATIVITY OUT THERE WITH COVID SO WOULDNT IT BE NICE IF EVERYONE GOT BEHIND THE LADS FOR NEXT WEEK AND MOVE ON!!

tribesman123 (Galway) - Posts: 23 - 19/10/2020 11:35:07    2299105

Link

When is the last time Liam Silke played well for Galway?

Charlie (Kerry) - Posts: 495 - 19/10/2020 11:56:27    2299111

Link

Replying To johnterry:  "Its not early days, we were miles off and the Connacht Final is next month. We have injuries and players not looking match fit after about 6 months away from intercounty"
It will be a kick in the ass for players and management and there is time to rectify it. There will be a few home truths said with the video analysis and there will be a good reaction from the players. IF shane walsh is back for the dubs game I can see Galway beating Dublin.

Ayeartilmonday (Galway) - Posts: 62 - 19/10/2020 11:58:58    2299112

Link

Replying To tribesman123:  "This forum is so negative!! Fair enough, yesterday was a dark day for Galway and there will be a lot of soul searching but some people here seem to get a kick out of seeing players/mgmt have a bad day?!

Its very easy for everyone here to hide behind a keyboard and give out stink, but I genuinely hope the lads bounce back and get back to the savage football they were playing before the break.

THERE IS ENOUGH NEGATIVITY OUT THERE WITH COVID SO WOULDNT IT BE NICE IF EVERYONE GOT BEHIND THE LADS FOR NEXT WEEK AND MOVE ON!!"
It's not one or the other. I'll always support Galway and I'll be right behind them, shouting at the telly next weekend against Dublin. As soon, as we can go to games again, I'll be there too.
However, we can also at the same time call out a terrible performance. The first half yesterday was as bad as I've ever seen from a Galway senior team. The lads and management know this better than anyone of course.
Poor play is one thing, but there was a distinct lack of work-rate yesterday, which isn't acceptable. Effort, aggression and work-rate should be a given, regardless of everything else. Without these, you don't have chance and any good team will tear you to shreds.
Next week needs a huge step up in these areas alone. I'd be hopeful that we see this, regardless of the result.

WanPintWin (Galway) - Posts: 874 - 19/10/2020 12:07:31    2299117

Link

Anyone calling for Lavelle to come back needs their head examined he is not even on the panel.

Also I see some people blaming Conroy for doing punditry on TG4 on Saturday - please book head examination also. He was the one player that actually stood up and was very dangerous inside. A big loss for Galway was when he had to come out the field to try win some ball. If we can keep him inside he'll be a big threat.

I was very excited by Gleeson at the start of the year. Having watched Dunmore v Cortoon he really did not look convincing and started to worry after that. When Flynn came on it gave a more realistic option to Kick long. He won 2/3 marks and broke another ball. It was easy for Mayo to press the Galway offered little around the middle in the first half. If we have target men around the middle, it makes it more difficult to apply such a high press. When teams apply the high press go long to the big men. If they drop off to crowd the middle, it is much easier to go short.

Biggest changes need to be made are in midfield and wing forwards. Leonard is a good footballer but hasn't the pace to track fast attacking wing backs.

gaa190 (Galway) - Posts: 133 - 19/10/2020 12:08:28    2299118

Link