National Forum

Provincial Championships 2024

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Fionn:  "I think Louth will beat Kildare, and will be very surprised if Down beat Armagh.
Wicklow should have beaten the Lillies the last day.

All of this got me thinking about under achievers compared to their population (as population is often used as a yardstick) - but I know there is a caveat for the 6 northern teams, for obvious reasons...

So in order (open to correction):-
Dublin
Antrim
Cork
Down
Galway
Derry
Kildare
Meath
Limerick
Armagh
Tyrone
Tipp
Donegal
Wexford
Kerry
Wicklow
Louth
Mayo
Clare
Waterford
Kilkenny
Westmeath
Laois
Offlay
Cavan
Roscommon
Sligo
Monaghan
Fermanagh
Carlow
Longford
Leitrim

So based on this alone, Cork should be miles better, also Meath & Kildare.

On the end end of the spectrum - Monaghan are the standout over achiever in recent years imo.
And to a lesser extent the Rossies.
If Monaghan & Rossies can compete, then why cant counties of a much higher population and sponsorship.??

There has also been recent under age success for Cork, Kildare & Meath - so something is going astray in the intervening development years. Or so it would seem..??

Possibly being over simplistic here, but interesting all the same."
I think people sometimes make the mistake in assuming population should translate to success, and I see that been pointed at Kildare and Meath a lot - because of their population increase over the last 10 years or so. But how many of those people who move their end up getting involved in GAA? It would be interested to see how many actual playing members each country has.

Take Clonee in Meath for example, right on the Dublin border - now by no means has it a massive GAA heritage but the GAA club that was St Paul's has essentially been pushed out of existence despite a big population growth in the area.

The GAA grounds were upped and move to the far side of Dunboyne when the M3 was being built, and as far as I am aware they no longer field a team as of 2024 due to lack of interest. A lot of people who moved to Clonee were probably either coming out of Dublin, or just foreign nationals. And any of the Dublin people who moved out would just go play for Erin Go Bragh who are 5 mins down the road in Little Pace (Dublin)

Despite big population growth in Navan, the traditionally big club there Navan O'Mahony's haven't had any success recently, in fact they were relegated from senior and now play Intermediate football. There's clearly an influx of people coming to Meath and Kildare because of their proximity to Dublin, but if they're not getting involved - using population as a yardstick is pointless.

The GAA country boards needs to do more to get people playing, and getting people involved.

hyperache (Meath) - Posts: 198 - 17/04/2024 10:59:11    2538536

Link