Westmeath Forum

Next Manager

(Oldest Posts First)

Who would genuinely be contenders for Westmeath job after this year as regardless of results in summer surely Cribbin will want out ? Is going for internal candidates the answer or a top coach plus selectors such as john keane , martin flanagan, jack cooney , alan mangan etc ? Obviously serious problems underage aswel that won't be solved overnight but team is on the floor at the min and without urgent change its back to the chaos of the Brendan Hackett debacle when a whole year was completely wasted and morale at rock bottom. Also the money being wasted on stand development is celtic tiger esque madness, need to get back to basics and invest in top coaches from bottom up

philbrown (Westmeath) - Posts: 210 - 07/03/2016 21:44:58    1832105

Link

I think this post is a bit unfair,cribbin is still in place,also the people you mentioned have little or no managerial experience cooney aside and he seems to be more of a strenght and conditioning guy than a manager .

footiemad (Westmeath) - Posts: 733 - 08/03/2016 08:30:00    1832127

Link

Waste of time even talking about this while the same Board is in place as that is where the issue lies. Change needs to happen from the top down and there needs to be a serious look at the whole structure of the GAA in Westmeath. In order to have successful County teams, in either code, you needs all Clubs and Schools working together under the direction and leadership from the Board. This aint happening.

Meridian (Westmeath) - Posts: 482 - 08/03/2016 09:08:02    1832137

Link

This is the point I have been making since the beginning. The county board have lots to answer for.

smiler14 (Westmeath) - Posts: 121 - 08/03/2016 11:58:33    1832248

Link

this is not the fault of tom cribben . this is players with inflated egos who think they are kings
this forum is full of people who regard the beating of meath as our greatest triumph . sorry to say our current
group of players are of the same mindset ruislip awaits in 2017

mickcunningham (Westmeath) - Posts: 1156 - 08/03/2016 14:42:10    1832336

Link

Good weekend away for players and officials

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1648 - 08/03/2016 16:04:42    1832406

Link

Mick you are way off there. Blaming hardworking amateur players is just plain and simply wrong. The people holding us back are those drawing most out of the gaaa

smiler14 (Westmeath) - Posts: 121 - 08/03/2016 18:19:55    1832471

Link

Manager confused about current situation . . http://www.hoganstand.com/Westmeath/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=251748

This is laughable stuff, amateurish carry on that only enforces the idea that the situation is rapidly heading for a chaotic and farcical finale. This is Brendan Rodgers esque stuff , taking the supporters for fools. Players have to take their share of blame but manager cannot get off scott free based on a leinster final appearance. Huge investment in development of players from schools all the way up is needed and get in top coaches. Finances would be needed but surely its a better investment than building up a stand thats never filled. Maybe expectations of some fans , myself included is way too high but surely we can be a competitive division 2 team and depending on championship draw we are capable of being competitive with all leinster teams beyond the dubs.

philbrown (Westmeath) - Posts: 210 - 09/03/2016 19:22:12    1833012

Link

Cribbin should be definitely be judged on championship in my opinion however if we go down to division four which I do think we will at this stage as we have two very difficult away games and one local derby which could go either way and we need 4 points minimum from those games then I would think that Tom Cribbins position as Westmeath manager will be absolutely precarious even if we reach another leinster final as playing in division 4 would be an absolute disaster. Im a Cribbin fan im willing to back him, the players should take more of the blame but going down to division 4 would be the worst thing to happen to Westmeath football in recent years.

Westmeathgael98 (Westmeath) - Posts: 24 - 09/03/2016 19:23:26    1833015

Link

Has anyone stopped to consider our underage record, particularly at minor level, since 2000, abysmal wouldn't describe it sufficiently. Where do posters on this forum think that we're going to be competitive at a decent level considering that there's not exactly a conveyor belt of talent coming through. Clearly we overachieved last year in finally beating Meath by virtue of approx 20 mins top class fare, Meath have since revealed just how poor they are, the standard of club fare in the county is distinctly average, we have just seen many of our best ever players retire from the inter county scene and the likes of Healy, Dolan, Conway, Shocko, O' Connell, Connaughton, Heavin and others are virtually impossible to replace. Blaming the manager is a cop out. Kieran Gavin, David Duffy and Dennis Glennon have not been training lately due to a mixture of injuries and possible retirement, highly unlikely that any of these will feature in 2016.

kawaifive0 (Westmeath) - Posts: 112 - 09/03/2016 20:38:24    1833063

Link

Our underage structure is all wrong. Every year around Jan-Feb time clubs are asked to put forward players for underage county trials. A system that hasn't changed for as long as I can remember. How about a bunch of development officers who go around to underage games talent spotting? They could coax potential talent into the county setup and with help of parents and clubs work towards the development of these players. As it is clubs don't care if they have players on county panels or not. Its time for a new approach.

Chops (Westmeath) - Posts: 775 - 09/03/2016 21:36:30    1833093

Link

For a start, all luxury spending on the football team should stop as of now. No overnighters, extra boots/gear, nutritionists, phycholigists etc. Anything which would help inflate the ego's of this team should be taken away and it should all be stripped back to the bare necessities. We are heading for Div 4 IMO so we need to start operating as a Div 4 county in terms of our spending. Any money saved should go towards our hurlers (who should be getting the same amount of funding anyway but are not) or on our future i.e. underage and start re-building.

There is little or no money available for investment in top coaches. We are going to have to develope our own top coaches and this is where we should be engaging in our past players go devote some time (and pay them) to go club to club, school to school to promote the game and the idea of representing your county. They should be our ambassadors and a committee should be formed who take note of all potential county players from U-12 upwards and take an interest and encourage their development at club and schools level.

The plans for a new stand really are rediculous at the same time that our football team are a complete shambles and anyone who thinks they are not a shambles either do not go to the games or dont know a thing about football. There is no pattern or style to our play, i mean what exactly is the plan, we do not have the talent to play like Tyrone or Donegal so dont try and play like them! The grounds we currently have are perfectly adequate for the attendances we would have. It isnt even full on county final day so why do we need bigger?

As regards the manager, I always wanted Cooney in or some other Westmeath person for the role. You cant beat local knowledge and now that we are heading for Div 4 we need to know who are the grafters around the county who are going to knuckle down when the going gets tough and fight for a win in Ruislip, Aughrim and Carrick on Shannon. It wont be some of our current lot who are more interested in how white their socks are, or, heaven forbid, they get a bit of mud in their hair. By the way, since when are players allowed to wear their own socks rather then the county socks provided. Cribbin would do well to take note of the lads who are more interested in how they look then how they play as, by no coincidence, these are the players who are not performing for us when the going gets tough.

Meridian (Westmeath) - Posts: 482 - 10/03/2016 09:20:09    1833124

Link

I have to agree with Meridian. The new stand project is absolute madness. Grants will pay for the majority of it, but where is the rest going to come from? The clubs? Some middle eastern oil baron? The Indo reported last Saturday that the county's spend was up €200k in 2015 on the previous year, and obviously that will not be sustainable. Will the clubs be asked to vote on the stand project or will the top table make a decision & push it through!!

JoeytheLips (None) - Posts: 44 - 10/03/2016 11:15:12    1833188

Link

Ok a lot of valid points here but I will say is I think we have the coaches in the county and I think we need to nurture them. I also disagree with the thing about the underage not been run properly. I will agree that we have problems here but there is light at the end of the tunnel. this years Minor Management have been exceptional. Why I say that is that we are a intermediate club and we have a few players in with county minor and have had for a number of years and this is the first time I have seen the players come back fitter and better players. They are very happy and love there training. Minor county manager has at all times kept us informed of our players and has encouraged the lads to play for there club whenever they are not training or playing. This is a first in my books and whether they are good enough or not I see a huge effort and genuine progress in this department. I wish the same could be said for all age groups. I believe if we put the right people in at 13,14,15,16,17 age groups and have one director of football overseeing it all I think we will reap the benefits in 5 years time. don't spend a penny on our seniors and everything on our underage structure. No more free dinners or mileage expenses let all coaches and selectors do it for the love of there county. We need to take stock work hard keep our quality coaches happy and lets get better coaching officers because lets face it what has gone on has not developed our county.
Lets rip it up and start again and lets get clubs to back it and lets give something back to the clubs lets develop each and every club thus developing the players. Its not as if we are a huge county with a huge panel of players. Surely we can develop and monitor 40 lads at each age grade and give them everything they need to be professional athletes. That's where the money time and effort is to be spent.
So forget about who manages the seniors lets worry about who manages our 14 our 16s our minors because without that we are finished.

Djkray (Dublin) - Posts: 152 - 10/03/2016 16:15:46    1833369

Link

Until the football and hurling coaching programmes are co-ordinated and run by someone actually based in Westmeath and with a huge passion for the sports in the county, then I'm afraid its a waste of time.
Local coaches will only be eager to get involved voluntarily when they see there is a real pride, passion and commitment to all the squads from the elected officers and the paid staff in the county.
There are far too many box ticking exercises going on at all ages in football and hurling.
As someone elsewhere said, less money on expenses and boots, more money on coaching.

You cannot have a good football team without the hurlers, and vice versa.

manfromdelmonte (UK) - Posts: 541 - 10/03/2016 17:37:35    1833400

Link