Westmeath Forum

Westmeath Center of Excellence

(Oldest Posts First)

Have Westmeath got a Center of excellence,

A main central Training and playing facility that will cater for all sports in the county a Facility with a 3G or 4G pitch and at least 4 other full size Flood lit pitches?

A Club house with both meeting rooms catering facilities gym recovery pool adequate dressing rooms a hurling wall a handball alley area for rounders etc.

A place where all teams at all levels can be catered for a place to develope and nourish the talent of the future in all codes both male & female,

The Answer is NO

Instant our County board & clubs have sanctioned an upgrade to Cusack park at a projected cost of 4 million euros,

What and how is this going to enhance Westmeath chances of bridging the massive gap in football & Hurling or bring our young talented players on to the next level,

In my opinion this is a ludicrous project that has absolutely no benefit but only to allow our chairman to sit in his throne in an upgraded meeting room,

With Pearse park Longford,o Connor park Tullamore, Navan & Cavan Portloaise Westmeath and Cusack park are way town the list for any major fixtures,

Why can't the county board source a 1000 year lease for whatever amount of land is needed to pump this 4 million into the future which is the youth of the county because they are that far out of touch with people on the ground it is scary,

And in my opinion unless the clubs stand up and take responsibility and allow this project go ahead is a disgrace there needs to be a major overhaul from top to bottom at county board level and get people in who have the knowledge and ability to make our GAMES thrive and try & bridge the massive gaps that are there unless this happens sooner rather than later Westmeath will always be playing catch up and lose the majority of our talent to other sports.

deelsider (Westmeath) - Posts: 31 - 27/02/2016 10:59:24    1828585

Link

This stand should not be built. For the money involved its a design from the past. It includes pillars which will restrict the view of patrons. In the Year 2016 this is a joke.
I guarantee when this stand is built people will not be happy with it and rightly so. If it was a good design I might see some merit in it but its not. Make it your business to view the plans of this stand and you will agree with me.

On another point, Pearse Park in Longford wont be hosting any big games in the near or medium future. The stand has been condemned as unsafe. A real example of Celtic Tiger building.

Jack_Sparrow (Westmeath) - Posts: 844 - 27/02/2016 14:48:32    1828622

Link

I agree stand is a waste of money - a facelift certainly is required but not a whole brand new one !
See here for images:
http://www.mmarchitecture.ie/2013/08/cusack-park/
Columns will impact on views which is ridiculous but probably a design decision based on cost.
I guess the facilities at Lakepoint Park are the closest we have to a Centre of Excellence plus the gym etc at the barracks.
Was there not talk about developing a pitch at the barracks too ?
The astro at lomans has been flat out for Jan & Feb trying to get last year's leagues finished as well as various county team preparations.
I suggest we spend a few bob on Cusack Park alright but not 4m.
Surely more money can be spent on increasing the number of full time coaches ?
You think of Club Iarmhi and the great fundraising work being done but it's only a drop in the ocean.
They have missed the boat I think in terms of obtaining land for a CoE.

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 621 - 27/02/2016 21:57:25    1828717

Link

Looked at that video just there BigSur. Is Cusack not just going to look the same after it's finished? Can't for the life of me see what the 4m is being spent on

ShtoryHorse (Westmeath) - Posts: 18 - 28/02/2016 14:47:02    1828804

Link

Put new bucket seats into the current stand and it is perfectly fine

I cannot remember the last time the place was full. It wasn't for a Westmeath game anyway

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1648 - 28/02/2016 16:35:22    1828875

Link

I think Enda Kenny was talking about westmeath supporters when he said we were a shower of whingers.
Of course we need a new stand, the stand we have is not fit for purpose ,the seating is terrible and always wet and damp,the dressing rooms and toilets are old and need to be modernized ,there is no real facilities for to get a cup of tea ect, and the tunnel area is dangerous for players .
also why not avail of croke park money to do this when it is there.

nearlymadeit (Westmeath) - Posts: 74 - 29/02/2016 09:47:57    1829117

Link

Its all a good old whine alright

The re-development looks really good. I can see the changes from the video - probably because I want to see them. Will be proud of the County Ground when done.

Ban (Westmeath) - Posts: 1014 - 29/02/2016 12:53:08    1829283

Link

We have a tunnel?

Cusack Park is in far better condition than most county grounds. the pitch is first class, and even people from other counties who visit always comment on this. The ground footprint doesn't really have space for a realistic large stand. road on one side, canal, apartments, Dunnes.
Who will pay for this new stand ultimately? Clubs
County Board will have a big fundraising draw, clubs will be given a quota of tickets to sell, probably at €100 a ticket or something
the clubs who do not sell their quota will be penalised. It has happened in other counties.

So the clubs need to stop this white elephant in its tracks

Now that the economy is moving again, a new small stadium out in Robinstown where it was proposed before by the council would be a far better option.

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1648 - 29/02/2016 16:42:52    1829452

Link

We need better all weather facilities not a small stadium.

wonit1time (Westmeath) - Posts: 450 - 03/03/2016 08:36:08    1830277

Link

We need better all weather facilities not a small stadium.

wonit1time (Westmeath) - Posts: 450 - 03/03/2016 08:36:17    1830278

Link

while i agree we need better facilities, think that loan covers stadium refurbishment only. actual i think what we have is ok maybe just do up dressing rooms , would personal prefer if other side was done up and seated and even if dressing rooms moved to that side . i know space could be a problem. can remember last time place was full or very good crowd. personal always prefered a small stadium full or 3/4 full rather than 1/2 empty stadium

madbull (Westmeath) - Posts: 191 - 03/03/2016 10:37:21    1830308

Link

Yes I do feel that Cusack park needs to be renovated rather than totally revamped an upgrade to dressing rooms with new seating in the stand would make a massive difference on its own wouldn't €500,000 go along way to doing that job,

That leaves €3.5 million to look into a Center of excellence which also would go a long way towards that facility,

St Lomans is not exclusively available to Westmeath teams Offaly,Roscommon along with many more use this facility more than some of our squads,

This stand proposal is totally wrong and should not go ahead part of funds should be used to renovate Cusack park with remainder of funds used to source a central training & playing facility for the future of our game,

At the moment county teams have to beg clubs for playing facilities, The barracks is another waste of funds this county board has to stand over completely useless no playing facilities just a gym WASTE of Money.

deelsider (Westmeath) - Posts: 31 - 05/03/2016 09:59:12    1830916

Link

Have to totally agree posters condemning this new stand. It's only 20 years old this year, clubs were crippled with a monthly levy for years over it. After this grant the county board will still have to make up a shortfall of €700k as far as I gather? Where is this money going to come from? While we would all agree cusack park could do with a face lift putting in a brand new stand is a complete waste of money. Money would be far better spent on getting top quality coaching for development squads so that supporters can have something decent to look at! Was the option of putting plastic seating on the terraced side and putting a roof on without demolition? Surely would be an option.

overdabar (Westmeath) - Posts: 209 - 05/03/2016 14:24:41    1830955

Link