Westmeath Forum

National hurling league

(Oldest Posts First)

It's Michael Ryan second year and with a serious back up team including Michael Walsh and Tommy Carr promotion to Division 1B has to be a serious target. Antrim and Carlow will be big opposition within the division with the winners likely to face Laois in the play off.A reasonable start in London where it's never easy having to leave Mullingar at six in the morning

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 694 - 14/02/2016 17:54:30    1825310

Link

All depressed talk about the footballers on here but a seven point win over Antrim today puts the hurlers with one foot in Division 2 final.Its a very very young team and while there is clearly a lot of work to do reaching Division 1b Has to be a serious target this year.All this tactical stuff is making hurling less attractive but if Ryan and Co can keep this squad together there are real hopes of progress in the small ball

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 694 - 06/03/2016 19:34:09    1831372

Link

Yeah I agree all the talk and the money thrown behind footballers and not a word about hurlers no promotion of today's game on Westmeath GAA website absolute disgrace footballers get weekends away get best of everything,

Hurlers left to fend for themselves good talented squad this year with plenty of potential by looks of the standard of Div 2A Westmeath need to win this division & be good enough to beat loais or Kerry in promotion relegation final only problem with this is loais & Kerry are playing good opposition in Div 1B and will be hurling a lot faster & be a lot fitter,

Westmeath not half as fit as they were in last few years which will ultimately cost them in the long run but talent is there too win Div 2A & get Promoted to 1B where Westmeath need to be sooner rather than later,

deelsider (Westmeath) - Posts: 31 - 06/03/2016 20:48:08    1831445

Link

You'd have to say the hurlers are a far more consistent bunch of players over the past 4/5 years

manfromdelmonte (UK) - Posts: 541 - 06/03/2016 21:35:09    1831486

Link

Hurlers are consistent alright fitness looks good and they are finally carrying a big panel after years of trying to get lads to hurl they actually want to hurl with the county but all this could be short lived they looked very very poor against a weakened Galway in Walsh cup, and let's be honest they have beaten very poor teams in the league London Derry and Antrim you would reckon Antrim will be better if the two meet in league final don't forget what happened last year false dawn v Kerry early on and then disaster in the final game, Antrim will have Cusendall players back 10 in total on the panel and they will bring a whole new game after the club all Ireland final is over, our forwards are very inconsistent with scores long periods between and too much short passing breaking down our backs have not been tested at all yet kildare and Carlow won't do it either, if they can win the league final it will give them a huge boost going into the round robin but with the likes of offaly there they will see themselves as legitimate winners and the battle will be for 2nd if we get that the draw won't be kind, I seen it to many times to be getting excited about anything to do with Westmeath in the 1st week of March, we better hope nothing happens to jogger or the floodgates will open and listening to radio with Ryan's interview rating jogger as the best full back in Leinster he seems a little mixed up last time I looked we had Kilkenny, Galway Dublin and wexford who are years ahead of us, jogger is the best full back in the weaker counties in all Ireland , and varly is the only one winning breaks from puck outs and showing consistently in open play but who else is sticking the hand up and winning those balls, if Murtagh did not come on we would have been in trouble there is only so many times we can go to the well, heard in the stand yesterday that we have Kilkenny in the first round of the u-21 how many lads are going to want to play in that reputations will be on the line big time , Kilkenny played the u 21s in the Walsh cup how many of our u21 are getting game time , very few, we will just have to hope we can win the league final that in itself will be progress but it's next year it will have to be pushed on if we do and hurling gets much faster the higher we go . Here's hoping

rogerdodger (Westmeath) - Posts: 228 - 07/03/2016 10:21:37    1831597

Link

The hurlers need to be consistently putting 15 - 20 points over the bar in these games but they arent. Thats the average in good hurling games these days. Granted Antrim are always hard to beat but 11 points and the like isnt enough especially when the opposition steps it up in finals etc.

Thats the reality of top class hurling.

Jack_Sparrow (Westmeath) - Posts: 844 - 07/03/2016 21:43:47    1832103

Link

I agree if we are going to win the division and a play off the forwards will have to up their game.
Defensively we are getting to a very good level but we are far too dependent on one or two forwards. Also the midfield needs to up things a little.
But this is a really young team who if they could just get into 1b can make an impact

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 694 - 08/03/2016 19:34:43    1832506

Link

I think we are going very well at the moment and at this stage I would be 90% certain that we will beat Antrim or whoever we meet in the league final should we reach the final which I think we will and hopefully this can be the year where we make that final push and get promoted. I would be extremely confident of us beating Kerry based on their performance against Wexford Sunday however our record against Laois in recent years at both senior and underage is very bad so I would much rather face Kerry in a play off

Westmeathgael98 (Westmeath) - Posts: 24 - 09/03/2016 19:18:11    1833005

Link

On yesterdays display I wouldn't be supremely confident of beating anyone. OK we were up against a team who maybe brought us down to their level but the reality is the forwards aren't playing well enough

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 694 - 13/03/2016 14:55:54    1834076

Link

Let's be honest here this league is Westmeath level promotion won't be kind .
With the carlow game not a must win will we play a weakened team to give fringe players a game ? Will we play our u-21s to give them a game before Kilkenny game or will we let Carlow win to eliminate Antrim from the league final and play Carlow again in that final , the best thing to do would be competitive and play the u -21s but sure that would be the right thing to do , our defense have not been tested apart from a short puck out to the kildare fullforward who should have carried and scored instead he struck it straight at the goals , Varly was poor and with competition for forward places he might not see much time again because he is a natural back and those positions look sett in stone, kildare had two forwards sent off and we still got it hard to use the short puck out players should be breaking the tackle and carrying the ball from these puckouts but they just balloon them , I'm sorry but a couple of our starting forwards are not up to it, Cormac Boyle is still our most consistent player from play , Carlow beating Antrim is going to upset the plans as I said in an earlier post I'm not getting carried away with anything to do with Westmeath Hurling in the month of March , it doesn't look great to see one of our best hurlers in Paul greville lining out with the footballers either

rogerdodger (Westmeath) - Posts: 228 - 13/03/2016 16:15:08    1834113

Link

Good that the hurlers got the win today. It was far from an impressive performance. But I have to say Tommy Doyle was outstanding as usual. A complete injustice that they have to play Laois/Kerry to go up to 1B. The hurling leagues needs to be sorted out asap. Kerry could end up getting relegated which is wrong as Offaly and Wexford are through to the qf on the same amount of points. Anyways, well done lads on finally winning 2a. We need the footballers to win tomorrow now! Anyone know how the minor hurlers got on today?

Matthew (None) - Posts: 897 - 26/03/2016 18:29:12    1837869

Link

Minor hurlers lost 2-16 to 0-11

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1652 - 26/03/2016 18:47:52    1837879

Link

Best of luck to the senior hurlers this weekend and minor hurlers.
Ridiculous that the seniors have to even play this game!
Even more ridiculous that hurling supporters have to go to two games in two different venues on the same day to support the teams.

manfromdelmonte (UK) - Posts: 541 - 08/04/2016 08:34:17    1843307

Link