Westmeath Forum

Cavan away is going to be very difficult.......

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Theres 2 sides to it Meridian. If we lose Saturday we'll have gone an entire season without a competitive win. Very easy for a manager to step in and make an improvement there, one or 2 wins next season would be positive!. On the other with the players at a low ebb who would want the job? I think its sad that this could possibly be Dessie Dolans last game for Westmeath and the team are at such a low point and no support there to see him off. A complete overhall of how business is done in Westmeath is needed from the bottom up.

Chops (Westmeath) - Posts: 775 - 24/06/2014 19:01:13    1608458

Link

I feel he won't be the only player to retire, I think all the links from 2004 could be gone after this year. I agree 100% it would be sad for Des to go out on this note. Though he does look after himself very well so don't rule out him going on. Martin Flanagan and Jack Cooney would be a good management team. It will be interesting to see how Bernard Flynn does with Shamrocks, he would definitely get the respect of the players. Also Anthony Cunningham who will probably be available after this season unless Galway win the all Ireland.

Matthew (None) - Posts: 897 - 24/06/2014 19:28:11    1608467

Link

As far back as just before Hackett was brought in I was hoping for Anthony Cunningham but it never came about. Really and truly no manager is going to come in and completely change our fortunes over night. A long term plan needs to be put in place. 20 volunteer scouts need to be going around the county to underage matches picking out potential talent. An academy needs to be set up for these future county hurlers and footballers with past county footballers and hurlers coaching them having got the proper education in strength conditioning and coaching themselves. Some sort of scholarship scheme needs to be set up where potential sponsors could invest in the future of some of this talent i.e college fees etc. The quality of underage coaching at club level, while it has come a long way in recent years we are still way behind other counties. Can anyone tell me what coaching requirements does one need to train underage club teams in the county at the moment? Are there minimum standards to be met to do this? Educating 5 people per club in proper coaching, tactics, strength and conditioning would be a good starting point. Maybe some of this type of stuff is already in place I don't know it's so long since I had anything to do with underage at club level. Its my 2 cents worth but I think investing heavily in senior panels and management at the moment is a waste of time it has to start at the bottom.

Chops (Westmeath) - Posts: 775 - 25/06/2014 12:55:46    1608843

Link

Matthew, why would Flanagan and Cooney not make a good team? Seems a fairly definitive statement.

Meridian (Westmeath) - Posts: 482 - 25/06/2014 15:11:48    1608951

Link

The three o clock kick off pretty much kills off Saturday. The GAA were trotting out concern for the players and supporters as the reason they wanted the Galway V Kilkenny replay at 7.00. Obviously that does not apply to Westmeath players and supporters.

wonit1time (Westmeath) - Posts: 450 - 25/06/2014 17:25:58    1609055

Link

meridian , matthew said they would be a good team . it would be great to see legends like flan and jacko
as management , but i dont think it will happen . whats the mood for saturday . we are all doom and gloom , including myself
i sincerely hope that players like gavin maguire heslin sharry egan martin dessie and dennis give it a good go on saturday
and i have decided i will go to breffni to cheer them on IARMHI ABU

mickcunningham (Westmeath) - Posts: 1156 - 25/06/2014 17:39:34    1609063

Link

Lets get behind the lads on Saturday and support them. This more or less the same team that went up to Division 1 last year and are well capable of beating Cavan.So no more of the negativity. Come on westmeath

FLUFFY (None) - Posts: 38 - 27/06/2014 12:47:42    1609868

Link

See on the Cavan page they had a game against Louth and beat them by 11 pts. The ref blew it up with 5 mins to go because there were a few rows. So Westmeath better go out there with confidence and don't let Cavan rattle them.

FLUFFY (None) - Posts: 38 - 27/06/2014 14:08:23    1609935

Link

Came up somewhat short today. After a year that promised so much with Div 1 football, now finishes in ruins

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2758 - 28/06/2014 21:48:02    1610554

Link

13 gsmes , 13 losses. Hopefully we get in a new and exciting manager

sharpshooter23 (Westmeath) - Posts: 187 - 29/06/2014 11:25:28    1610643

Link

Does that include the O'Byrne cup and the U21 game he lost? The county board look very silly now appointing someone who was no better than Flanagan. Luke Dempsey could be the man or Martin Flanagan and Jack Cooney as a few said already.

Matthew (None) - Posts: 897 - 29/06/2014 11:34:43    1610647

Link

We have made no positive strides this year, backwards in my estimation. It's a pity because we do have some very talented footballers on our county panel

sharpshooter23 (Westmeath) - Posts: 187 - 29/06/2014 12:18:31    1610669

Link

Can bealin not do the honourable thing after such a year and step down. I don't see too many positives from this year, now don't get me wrong I don't expect world beaters but getting the best out of what is available is the minimum I expect

Darragh (Westmeath) - Posts: 290 - 29/06/2014 13:12:23    1610688

Link

Not sure the manager can take all the blame, players have simply not stepped up this year. Realistically we were never going to compete in div 1 and same old Sameo in the championship year in year out. Looking at managers who have overachieved with average teams ; Mahoney with Leitrim ( unlikely based on focus in politics) Maughan with Mayo ( available and likely) Malachi o rourke (unlikely to move from Monaghan) . Focus should now be on the minor and u 21 Westmeath pool and some consistency on style,strength and conditioning across club level to be in anyway competing at the level of Limerick, Sligo, Clare, Offaly , Laois, Fermanagh ( we are way off Dublin, Meath, Kildare, Galway, Monaghan, cork, Kerry Donegal standards). Also our fan base need to start supporting their county. In summary manager change; bring in maughan, retire/ exit half the senior wm team start focusing on underage to u 21, fans to step up and start supporting their county.

Rossieruan (Westmeath) - Posts: 73 - 29/06/2014 14:54:07    1610731

Link

Look at Roscommon , they have a good man over them and plenty of belief , they have bypassed us in the last 18 months

sharpshooter23 (Westmeath) - Posts: 187 - 29/06/2014 16:33:20    1610792

Link

Bring in Maughan, are you serious??

Matthew (None) - Posts: 897 - 29/06/2014 17:02:20    1610814

Link

Firstly Matthew, apologies, I took your message up wrong. That's why I was questioning the comment as I'd love to see Cooney and Flan involved. At least they commitment couldn't be questioned.

As for where we go now, I really think we are wasting our time with this County Board. A lot of the guys on the board have been there for countless years without any progress at underage and for that they should be removed. They think they are doing a service by filling a position but if there is no improvement then you have to question the direction being given. I would also disband the whole panel and start afresh. I think some guys have notions about themselves when it's not justified on the pitch.

Meridian (Westmeath) - Posts: 482 - 29/06/2014 17:04:32    1610816

Link