Westmeath Forum

Over/Under Achieving Clubs Opinions

(Oldest Posts First)

I seen somewhere lately a population register of areas in the county and it got me thinking for the size of some small areas they produce teams playing at a high level and then many big catchment areas maybe aren't getting to the levels they could.

I know there are many other variables in success/failure but in peoples opinions who are the teams that punch above their weight and who do not get the best of what they have?

Population usually drives numbers available and funding which do definitely contribute to success.

Also for some teams it may be a considered a good year to stay at their grade and avoid a relegation!

I'll throw out a few but just football as I haven't the knowledge on hurling in the county but hurling people have your input:

Junior
Ballynacargy/Kilbeggan you would think have potential to be at a higher level.

Intermediate
Tang a small area and always compete.
Bunbrosna showing well again and competed at senior level for a time with surely a small pick.
Shandonagh, although it may happen soon, have great facilities and good underage so they could be seen to be under where clubs of similar stature have got to.
Moate, would have expected more form a town this size in the past years although improving now.

Senior
Maryland, been there a good while now, probably smallest senior area?
Castledaly solid senior team for years and won a senior too which is a very rural area but maybe a big catchment?
Killucan have two codes going which surely is tough with numbers but always competitive.
Athlone,I guess in the past years were behind when they would want to be until lately.

IARMHI17 (Westmeath) - Posts: 16 - 16/08/2017 12:58:37    2034173

Link

It is an interesting one but it is hard to define. I think what can be misleading is when some clubs are named after an extremely small place and if you are just a passer through you might wonder how they do so well but in reality they take in bigger villages/areas nearby.
Castledaly and Bunbrosna wouldn be examples, tiny places themselves with nothing really there but in reality they have a larger area. Castledaly takes in Ballnahown and reaches both sides towards Athlone and Moate. Bunbrosna really is Rathown taking in Ballinalack and parts of Sonna.
Not taking anything away from these clubs - any such teams that can get to senior and stay there are well organised and run.

culmor (Westmeath) - Posts: 25 - 16/08/2017 13:42:13    2034202

Link

Tyrlespass? Always competing at latter stages of senior championship, despite most underage teams competing in division 3.
Difficult compare towns who compete with soccer and rugby, as well as a variety of other sports.
Where as in Maryland, Castledaly, Or other rural areas there is only gaa.

Wmeath2 (Westmeath) - Posts: 85 - 16/08/2017 14:05:17    2034213

Link

Replying To culmor:  "It is an interesting one but it is hard to define. I think what can be misleading is when some clubs are named after an extremely small place and if you are just a passer through you might wonder how they do so well but in reality they take in bigger villages/areas nearby.
Castledaly and Bunbrosna wouldn be examples, tiny places themselves with nothing really there but in reality they have a larger area. Castledaly takes in Ballnahown and reaches both sides towards Athlone and Moate. Bunbrosna really is Rathown taking in Ballinalack and parts of Sonna.
Not taking anything away from these clubs - any such teams that can get to senior and stay there are well organised and run."
Bunbrosna have a tiny pick. They don't even have a primary school. Bal have Sonna wrapped up. The main reason Bun had good numbers for a period of time (leading to their 2 time intermediate winning team) was Multy not having their house in order. They do now.

There is no parish rule in Westmeath, so threads like this should always carry a health warning. The battle for players at the younger ages (primarily in and around the 2 large towns) is something I'm glad I'm not involved in. The big winners over time will be the clubs on the towns' peripheries who have their traditional base, plus the urban sprawl. While the likes of Athlone and Shamrocks have to deal with the town centres having aging populations and less kids.

jamsie (Westmeath) - Posts: 242 - 16/08/2017 14:06:51    2034216

Link

Replying To jamsie:  "Bunbrosna have a tiny pick. They don't even have a primary school. Bal have Sonna wrapped up. The main reason Bun had good numbers for a period of time (leading to their 2 time intermediate winning team) was Multy not having their house in order. They do now.

There is no parish rule in Westmeath, so threads like this should always carry a health warning. The battle for players at the younger ages (primarily in and around the 2 large towns) is something I'm glad I'm not involved in. The big winners over time will be the clubs on the towns' peripheries who have their traditional base, plus the urban sprawl. While the likes of Athlone and Shamrocks have to deal with the town centres having aging populations and less kids."
Impossible to judge on most perhaps look at numbers and players at u 6 or u8 and then again at minor see percentage losses or gained. All clubs claim they have small base or some other reason. But in rural areas a school goes to one club but that not always case with people travelling to work and children minded somewhere else.

madbull (Westmeath) - Posts: 191 - 16/08/2017 15:01:04    2034259

Link

Think Tang will struggle in the coming years after the ruling a few years ago players living in Longford must play with Ballymahon.

Moate has lot of players being pulling from it to villages around like Caulry, Castledaly, Rosemount and Tubber. but still have underperformed you feel. Castledaly and Maryland are definetly doing well over the past few years but both might fall back with dwindling numbers underage. Always though Tubberclaire were under-performing for the size/population of the area

martyW (Westmeath) - Posts: 242 - 16/08/2017 15:04:34    2034262

Link

Replying To IARMHI17:  "I seen somewhere lately a population register of areas in the county and it got me thinking for the size of some small areas they produce teams playing at a high level and then many big catchment areas maybe aren't getting to the levels they could.

I know there are many other variables in success/failure but in peoples opinions who are the teams that punch above their weight and who do not get the best of what they have?

Population usually drives numbers available and funding which do definitely contribute to success.

Also for some teams it may be a considered a good year to stay at their grade and avoid a relegation!

I'll throw out a few but just football as I haven't the knowledge on hurling in the county but hurling people have your input:

Junior
Ballynacargy/Kilbeggan you would think have potential to be at a higher level.

Intermediate
Tang a small area and always compete.
Bunbrosna showing well again and competed at senior level for a time with surely a small pick.
Shandonagh, although it may happen soon, have great facilities and good underage so they could be seen to be under where clubs of similar stature have got to.
Moate, would have expected more form a town this size in the past years although improving now.

Senior
Maryland, been there a good while now, probably smallest senior area?
Castledaly solid senior team for years and won a senior too which is a very rural area but maybe a big catchment?
Killucan have two codes going which surely is tough with numbers but always competitive.
Athlone,I guess in the past years were behind when they would want to be until lately."
Problem with Mullingar and Athlone you have a big battle for players at underage with 2 large clubs in each town. You also have other sports competing such as rugby and soccer. For the size of Moate its hard to believe they are not more competitive.

Chops (Westmeath) - Posts: 775 - 16/08/2017 16:43:30    2034322

Link

Replying To Chops:  "Problem with Mullingar and Athlone you have a big battle for players at underage with 2 large clubs in each town. You also have other sports competing such as rugby and soccer. For the size of Moate its hard to believe they are not more competitive."
you have to admire the clubs who don't even have a village to pick from yet continue to field teams.
Tang
Turin
Maryland
are there others?

Mullingar might only have two clubs but the Downs and Shandonagh are prolific recruiters at underage and adult football.
same with Clonkill and Cullion in hurling

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1655 - 16/08/2017 16:52:49    2034325

Link

Fair points by all.

Its just something that crossed my and and I guess people do perceive clubs to be going good or bad whether they compete for trophy's or not but with some clubs I do think it is a success to be where they are even though they might not win a grade outright.

Also there are a few clubs playing at a high level that cannot field an underage grade without amalgamation which shows good maximising of resources.

IARMHI17 (Westmeath) - Posts: 16 - 16/08/2017 17:04:26    2034335

Link

Replying To IARMHI17:  "Fair points by all.

Its just something that crossed my and and I guess people do perceive clubs to be going good or bad whether they compete for trophy's or not but with some clubs I do think it is a success to be where they are even though they might not win a grade outright.

Also there are a few clubs playing at a high level that cannot field an underage grade without amalgamation which shows good maximising of resources."

madbull (Westmeath) - Posts: 191 - 16/08/2017 19:29:07    2034408

Link

Most of Ballinahown plays with Doon of Offaly, Castledaly have a very small pick as does Maryland but fair play to the two of them both teams have some very talented players. As far as town goes Moate have definitely done great things at underage but seem to lose a lot come adult level like a lot of town teams,tbf to Moate even though a town they have small catchment area as Caulry,Castledaly,Rosemount and Tubber of Offaly all run right up to the outskirts of the town. I don't know much about the north side of Westmeath but Caulry down south definitely have the biggest catchment area with mount temple and baylin basically runs from Moate to athlone and they seem to be doing decent at all levels.
Tpass definitely have to be admired too although they are a town team they had very good senior teams in the last 15 years not the animal they once were but still a top 4/5 team in county at senior level.

iarmhi919 (Westmeath) - Posts: 216 - 16/08/2017 21:55:19    2034485

Link

Clonkill took all Turin's players

Trousers (Westmeath) - Posts: 5 - 31/08/2017 13:34:01    2041148

Link

Older players still doin it for there football clubs:
Derek molloy ballymore.
Fergal murray athlone
Derek heavin castleday
Martin flanagan shandonagh
Micheal ennis balinagore
Alan mangan malacys
Donal o d mullingar shamrocks
Des dolan garrycastle
Keith gorry kilbeggan
David martin maryland
Willie keegan miltown
Think theres a lad from the 96 kinnegad team still playing too ?

Mattyreilly (Westmeath) - Posts: 90 - 01/09/2017 21:30:27    2041710

Link