USA Forum

Mayo v New York game

(Oldest Posts First)

I am out in New York for a while and came out to the Rockland GAA club for the FBD match between New York and Mayo yesterday. Not much of a contest really but what a great day out. New York put it up to Mayo in the first half but were simply out classed in the second half.Met a good few of the Connacht crew that we would usually meet around Castlebar or Salthill. The weather was mighty and the facilities that this club have are a credit to the GAA. A lovely set of fields that are well groomed and extremely suitable for GAA matches. The locals were great and could not do enough for us, there was plenty to eat and drink with music supplied after the games. I played in New York a number of years ago and was delighted to meet mates from long go yesterday. Great craic watching the young Americans I would say they were 10 to 14 years of age and younger playing make up matches of football under the lights after all the matches were finished. It is great to see such interest in GAA among the American young ones. There was a good bit of GAA representation at the match with Christy Cooney and the Connacht Council well represented. The head is sore this morning I can tell you that. They have a great club in Rockland and had chats with members of their club who seem very in tuned with the goings on in the GAA.

lostintime (USA) - Posts: 533 - 11/10/2010 13:57:07    794218

Link