USA Forum

New York V Mayo 2019

(Oldest Posts First)

Is Gaelic Park Capacity reduced due to renovations? John Prenty was in the media recently telling Mayo fans to go for the Craic and not the match!

4,500 capacity is the quoted figure but at least that have already booked to go over from Mayo. I remember last time we played NY, there was serious crowds and it was a struggle to move around in places.

Anyone in the know have any info? Get their early I assume would be the best advice.

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 9856 - 25/10/2018 22:37:58    2148338

Link

Replying To yew_tree:  "Is Gaelic Park Capacity reduced due to renovations? John Prenty was in the media recently telling Mayo fans to go for the Craic and not the match!

4,500 capacity is the quoted figure but at least that have already booked to go over from Mayo. I remember last time we played NY, there was serious crowds and it was a struggle to move around in places.

Anyone in the know have any info? Get their early I assume would be the best advice."
yeah if you leave tomorrow morning you should get a good spot alright ;)

NYCcavanman (USA) - Posts: 202 - 30/10/2018 13:08:40    2148716

Link

Replying To yew_tree:  "Is Gaelic Park Capacity reduced due to renovations? John Prenty was in the media recently telling Mayo fans to go for the Craic and not the match!

Anyone in the know have any info? Get their early I assume would be the best advice."
Large crowd next year could be a major problem with Bar closed down at the moment and new building most certainly will not be ready. Can see anymore than 3,000 be allowed on premises.
Might be temporary Bar erected but who knows. I imagine NY board will be making announcement soon on construction and game.

Crossgaa (Mayo) - Posts: 534 - 18/11/2018 01:49:35    2151435

Link

Any word on capacity/tickets for this?

tirawleybaron (Mayo) - Posts: 780 - 16/04/2019 04:02:35    2179056

Link

Replying To tirawleybaron:  "Any word on capacity/tickets for this?"
Was in park last night and hats off to New York county board in their preparation for the big game. They've done tremendous work in the last two week to get facility ready. Tickets should not be a problem I'm told. If you get there early you can buy them at gate. It appears that there is way more space than last year so I think it will hold up to seven thousand easily.

Crossgaa (Mayo) - Posts: 534 - 30/04/2019 08:54:39    2180963

Link

Replying To Crossgaa:  "Was in park last night and hats off to New York county board in their preparation for the big game. They've done tremendous work in the last two week to get facility ready. Tickets should not be a problem I'm told. If you get there early you can buy them at gate. It appears that there is way more space than last year so I think it will hold up to seven thousand easily."
Great news

the_walls (Mayo) - Posts: 411 - 30/04/2019 12:34:53    2181018

Link

Would hope no genuine NY GAA people are associating themselves with this "Mayo Day" nonsense gala this weekend. 25k, 10k, 5k, and 2k for various sponsorships at the event. Those numbers are all the more staggering when you think of how underage county teams (u14, u16, minor, collegiate) have to scrap and beg for every dollar to make those trips possible. You can't tell people what to do with their money I know, but imagine all the good the minor board clubs could do with even a quarter of the money that Mayo will raise at this event. This isn't a shot at mayo either, other counties like Kerry have been notorious for this down the years. Fair enough its an "amateur" sport and they need sponsorships, but all that money being raised here in NY while the hundreds of NY-born footballers across the 15 or so underage clubs get nothing out of it doesn't sit right. That being said, fair play to all the underage clubs and people involved in the minor board in recent years. I would say it terms of quantity and quality the number of NY kids making the jump to adult football is at its highest in NYGAA history with the future looking bright. It falls on the senior board and GAA itself to help now too

carlow80s (Carlow) - Posts: 7 - 03/05/2019 20:55:27    2181742

Link

Replying To carlow80s:  "Would hope no genuine NY GAA people are associating themselves with this "Mayo Day" nonsense gala this weekend. 25k, 10k, 5k, and 2k for various sponsorships at the event. Those numbers are all the more staggering when you think of how underage county teams (u14, u16, minor, collegiate) have to scrap and beg for every dollar to make those trips possible. You can't tell people what to do with their money I know, but imagine all the good the minor board clubs could do with even a quarter of the money that Mayo will raise at this event. This isn't a shot at mayo either, other counties like Kerry have been notorious for this down the years. Fair enough its an "amateur" sport and they need sponsorships, but all that money being raised here in NY while the hundreds of NY-born footballers across the 15 or so underage clubs get nothing out of it doesn't sit right. That being said, fair play to all the underage clubs and people involved in the minor board in recent years. I would say it terms of quantity and quality the number of NY kids making the jump to adult football is at its highest in NYGAA history with the future looking bright. It falls on the senior board and GAA itself to help now too"
Maybe NY (or people with deep pockets associated with ny clubs) should stop paying GAA stars in Ireland to come over and play summer football and instead use that money for local home grown talent...

Anyway hats of to NY GAA and the people of that great city for their hospitality over the weekend. I couldn't get over the numbers of Mayo fans there. Shame about the score line but I think this game
Is about more than the "game" if you know what I mean...

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 9856 - 09/05/2019 12:52:46    2182715

Link

Replying To yew_tree:  "Maybe NY (or people with deep pockets associated with ny clubs) should stop paying GAA stars in Ireland to come over and play summer football and instead use that money for local home grown talent...

Anyway hats of to NY GAA and the people of that great city for their hospitality over the weekend. I couldn't get over the numbers of Mayo fans there. Shame about the score line but I think this game
Is about more than the "game" if you know what I mean..."
The biggest shame was the lack of preparation New York put into that game. Was a case of we are playing Mayo sure we can't win that game..... and number of good players didn't even bother to tog and some that did weren't anywhere near championship ready. Took Mayo until about 20 minute into the contest to realize it was a pointless exercise for them but they probably got more out of their few days training and earned a few good bucks over here so the trip in that regard was worth it.

Gaa_lover (USA) - Posts: 2412 - 16/05/2019 02:17:36    2184456

Link