Sligo Forum

New Club Managers

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Interest in club scene seems at an all time low at the moment

putyourfootunderit (Sligo) - Posts: 34 - 09/01/2020 13:19:53    2258400

Link

Replying To putyourfootunderit:  "Interest in club scene seems at an all time low at the moment"
Is it any surprise to you? The one club domination might spur a bit of life if that club could actually compete in the Connacht championship

republican (Sligo) - Posts: 261 - 09/01/2020 14:13:59    2258415

Link

Replying To republican:  "Is it any surprise to you? The one club domination might spur a bit of life if that club could actually compete in the Connacht championship"
I think it's only right we blame Tourlestrane for the lack of interest in GAA in the entire county. That makes perfect sense.

putyourfootunderit (Sligo) - Posts: 34 - 13/01/2020 13:39:14    2259389

Link

I think most managements seem to be in place for the coming year. I haven't heard anything from Molaise or Tubber though. Glenn Young going to Coolaney is possibly the most surprising. Coolaney not going well the last 2 years and this is an interesting choice. Harps have gone back to James Mitchell from Ballagh who was there a few years ago. Great to see more clubs having their own ex players now as managers. Glenn Mc Dermotts taking over the Gaels, Kenny Morley back with Curry and Michael Duffy with Enniscrone. Hopefully this trend will continue.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 702 - 14/01/2020 12:02:48    2259675

Link

Replying To eoinog:  "I think most managements seem to be in place for the coming year. I haven't heard anything from Molaise or Tubber though. Glenn Young going to Coolaney is possibly the most surprising. Coolaney not going well the last 2 years and this is an interesting choice. Harps have gone back to James Mitchell from Ballagh who was there a few years ago. Great to see more clubs having their own ex players now as managers. Glenn Mc Dermotts taking over the Gaels, Kenny Morley back with Curry and Michael Duffy with Enniscrone. Hopefully this trend will continue."
Glenn young is just following the money ,well the ones daft enough to give it ,paying managers wild money is crazy

Timmy86 (Sligo) - Posts: 112 - 14/01/2020 13:05:18    2259694

Link

Replying To Timmy86:  "Glenn young is just following the money ,well the ones daft enough to give it ,paying managers wild money is crazy"
I was going to include those comments in my post but I figured that if I did the admins would send my post straight to the trash bin.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 702 - 14/01/2020 13:37:14    2259701

Link

What is the going rate?

NewSligofan (Sligo) - Posts: 216 - 14/01/2020 20:05:17    2259801

Link

Replying To putyourfootunderit:  "I think it's only right we blame Tourlestrane for the lack of interest in GAA in the entire county. That makes perfect sense."
Or divide it in two. Probably east west the best option.

MrUnderhill (Sligo) - Posts: 5 - 14/01/2020 21:06:36    2259814

Link

Replying To MrUnderhill:  "Or divide it in two. Probably east west the best option."
Up to other clubs to get up to the standard and I think it can be done. Coolera probably gave them their best games in championship in recent years abd have beaten everyone else in that time but they haven't been doing well at underage for a good while. Surely some clubs who are stronger at underage over the years should be able to compete?

I think we love making excuses in Sligo. Meanwhile Tourlestrane are running their junior side properly (only club in Sligo doing so in my view), giving young lads a "senior setup" albeit at a lower grade while clubs with bigger populations are struggling to field at junior. Tourlestrane deserve massive credit but what other clubs are getting the most out of their resources? A short list I'd guess.

ShakeHands (Sligo) - Posts: 32 - 15/01/2020 09:40:40    2259910

Link

Replying To NewSligofan:  "What is the going rate?"
The best team in the county would be close to 15k. Some junior team's are giving over 5 k.. Awful waste of money. Imagine if that money was put into facilities within the club. Tourlestrane have done exceptional over the last few years but when you see their facilities you realise that the success on the playing fields costs a lot of money as their facilities are poor.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 702 - 15/01/2020 15:05:54    2260012

Link

Replying To eoinog:  "The best team in the county would be close to 15k. Some junior team's are giving over 5 k.. Awful waste of money. Imagine if that money was put into facilities within the club. Tourlestrane have done exceptional over the last few years but when you see their facilities you realise that the success on the playing fields costs a lot of money as their facilities are poor."
That's a laughable comment about Tourlestranes facilities! You are obviously a townie.

NewSligofan (Sligo) - Posts: 216 - 15/01/2020 15:31:06    2260019

Link

Replying To NewSligofan:  "That's a laughable comment about Tourlestranes facilities! You are obviously a townie."
Why is it laughable ? Good pitch, good flood lights, poor dressing room, poor meeting room, a rough warm up area and a second pitch that's not playable. My point is that they have done exceptionally well on the playing fields and this has come at a price as they have no money for development. This is not a slight on the club. That's the facts.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 702 - 15/01/2020 16:52:28    2260035

Link

Replying To eoinog:  "Why is it laughable ? Good pitch, good flood lights, poor dressing room, poor meeting room, a rough warm up area and a second pitch that's not playable. My point is that they have done exceptionally well on the playing fields and this has come at a price as they have no money for development. This is not a slight on the club. That's the facts."
Not sure there's a huge pile of room for redevelopment of a second pitch and I'm sure the dressing rooms will come in time. Any player I know loves having Tour as a neutral venue for a championship game (despite having to bring water but I don't think we'll blame them for that!!!!!)
I know I'd swap our lovely facilities for theirs if we could have the attitude them lads have on the pitch.

putyourfootunderit (Sligo) - Posts: 34 - 15/01/2020 17:06:19    2260037

Link

Replying To eoinog:  "The best team in the county would be close to 15k. Some junior team's are giving over 5 k.. Awful waste of money. Imagine if that money was put into facilities within the club. Tourlestrane have done exceptional over the last few years but when you see their facilities you realise that the success on the playing fields costs a lot of money as their facilities are poor."
Facilities > On pitch success
Is that a good thing?

putyourfootunderit (Sligo) - Posts: 34 - 15/01/2020 17:08:07    2260038

Link

Replying To putyourfootunderit:  "Facilities > On pitch success
Is that a good thing?"
Ye are mis understanding me. I am not having a pop at Tourlestrane for the poor facilities. The poster asked how much do these managers get as "expenses" and my comment was that Tourlestrane have had a lot of success and this has come at a cost as they have done very little development in the last 10 years. They have a second pitch bought and made a half hearted effort to develop it but it didn't work out and I don't think it's used at all now. They are currently the top team in the county but their facilities wouldn't be in the same league as other top clubs in Connaclht. Even in Sligo they are well behind Harps, Bunnyland, Enniscrone and Collooney. The biggest laugh is that someone said I must be a townie. That made me laugh. Last year someone said I was definitely from Tubber.......

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 702 - 15/01/2020 17:31:59    2260047

Link

eoinog - I agree completely with what you said about clubs wasting money on outside managers when it would be best spent elsewhere. Glenn Young to Coolaney is an interesting one alright. He hasn't a huge record of success in Sligo club football in recent years. To be fair to Coolaney two years ago they were in the league final and senior semi's so saying they have had two bad years is a bit unfair. They have some good young players but probably not enough to challenge. They definitely went backwards last year. Can't remember who was over them two years ago.

Will be interesting to see who Tubber get as they are probably the one club with the players to challenge Tourlestrane.

Curry and St. Molaise Gaels are by far the strongest teams in Intermediate this year.

southsligo20 (Sligo) - Posts: 1 - 24/01/2020 23:42:49    2262047

Link