Monaghan Forum

Past - Present - Future

(Oldest Posts First)

Past

Through thick and thin I have supported Monaghan for over 40 years. In that time I have been at over 200 matches and always admired our player's efforts, good, bad or indifferent. I shared in their successes and failures but was always proud of them and fans.

Present

Ashamed and disillusioned. Not ashamed of our players. Ashamed of tactics designed to stop the opposition scoring with no thought given to scoring ourselves. Disillusioned at a plan that did not allow our players to display their great skills and talents.

Future

The mind set of some managers appears to be to park "15 buses" and nothing else matters. They would be happy if the uprights were removed and games decided on penalty shoot outs. That's a different code that sees 0-0 as a "result". I will never again attend or watch a game where either team employs a blanket defence.

expat345 (Monaghan) - Posts: 26 - 09/08/2015 16:23:19    1766622

Link

I can understand his post. We have gotten a lot of success from tactical defensive ball but i must admit i d prefer if we had more of a go play a few more scoring forwards. Owen Duffy should have started yesterday as should Chris mcguinness instead of just getting ten minutes. The whole hand passing was done to death when it was crying out for someone to drive into the Tyrone defence. The Hughes brothers were very disappointing yesterday and seem happier to get into rows than play football in some games which is a pity as they are two great players when going well. Hard to see malachy changing the approach next year unless we can find more attacking options to compliment McManus.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1396 - 09/08/2015 17:25:26    1766659

Link

Cop yourselves on the current management have delivered unrivalled wonderful success. We now have a realistic if not certain claim to win the all Ireland within two years.

farneyforsam (Monaghan) - Posts: 35 - 24/08/2015 21:23:07    1775620

Link

Swap yas Colin Kelly for Malachy O Rourke?
You'd love Colin Kelly - he's not really into defending. We can't find a mini-bus, never mind 15 buses.

Just goes to show you - there's always one!
Seriously, 2 Ulster Titles in 3 years and you're not happy. Do you think people like Jap Finlay, Dick Clerkin, Eoin Lennon etc would rather retire with Ulster medals or a reputation for having played nice football?

#firstworldproblem

Cherno_Samba (Louth) - Posts: 630 - 07/09/2015 17:46:57    1784199

Link

On reflection that comment sounded a bit harsh - but you really should appreciate and enjoy your success - 2 Ulsters in 3 years is seriously good going.
Louth haven't won a Leinster since 2010.

Cherno_Samba (Louth) - Posts: 630 - 07/09/2015 17:54:15    1784204

Link

I think you are the one who is deluded!!! People like you really amaze me. So you would send our players out to play nice 15 v 15 football and let us get beat?
As longford did this year against Dublin and stand up after and go sure at least we tried. I think if you read your post again there are obvious reasons to your deluded analysis.... You're living in the past!!! this is 2015 now and football has moved on. Your the fan in the stand shouting "kick it in . . why won't he just kick it in?? " " what's he hand passing for??? " It's for the best if you just stay at home if you don't understand or appreciate modern football.

kupa (Monaghan) - Posts: 266 - 08/09/2015 17:07:06    1784749

Link

Cherno_Samba
County: Louth

On reflection that comment sounded a bit harsh - but you really should appreciate and enjoy your success - 2 Ulsters in 3 years is seriously good going.
Louth haven't won a Leinster since 2010.

Slightly disillusioned there cherno_samba. 1957 I think....

MuineachanAbu (Monaghan) - Posts: 623 - 11/09/2015 10:36:04    1785953

Link