Monaghan Forum

Best 15 Over Last 20 Years - Irish News

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To FootblockREF:  "Cahair O'Kane will be posting his best 15 from each Ulster county from last 20 years. He's starting with Down tomorrow. Anyone care to guess the Monaghan one?
I'd go for Rory, JP Mone, Drew and Ryan Wylie, Dessie, Vinny and Gary McQuaid, Eoin Lennon and Dick, Paulie, Darren, Damien Freeman, Tommy, Kieran Hughes and Mansy."
Was the official Monaghan one posted yet? Didn't see it...

GerryD (Monaghan) - Posts: 316 - 21/12/2019 00:41:34    2255735

Link

Replying To GerryD:  "Was the official Monaghan one posted yet? Didn't see it..."
Its actually in today's paper : http://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2019/12/21/news/-last20years-the-best-of-monaghan-from-2000-2019-1796726/

Beggan

Drew
Vinny
Dessie

O'Connell
D Hughes
McQuaid

Lennon
Dick

Jinxy
Jap
D Freeman

Woods
T Freeman
Mansy

patk (Monaghan) - Posts: 842 - 21/12/2019 10:18:56    2255756

Link

Replying To patk:  "Its actually in today's paper : http://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2019/12/21/news/-last20years-the-best-of-monaghan-from-2000-2019-1796726/

Beggan

Drew
Vinny
Dessie

O'Connell
D Hughes
McQuaid

Lennon
Dick

Jinxy
Jap
D Freeman

Woods
T Freeman
Mansy"
Hard to argue with although I'd have Kieran Hughes in there somewhere on his day virtually unplayable. Some great players on it and hard to escape conclusion that 07-10 side underachieved under Banty with the talent in that side.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1434 - 21/12/2019 22:15:31    2255837

Link

Replying To patk:  "Its actually in today's paper : http://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2019/12/21/news/-last20years-the-best-of-monaghan-from-2000-2019-1796726/

Beggan

Drew
Vinny
Dessie

O'Connell
D Hughes
McQuaid

Lennon
Dick

Jinxy
Jap
D Freeman

Woods
T Freeman
Mansy"
12 played under Banty and 12 under Mal

GerryD (Monaghan) - Posts: 316 - 22/12/2019 00:10:42    2255847

Link

Generally agree, though would have kieran Hughes instead of an unlucky S Gollogly. Ryan Wylie unlucky, but I suspect if this team was to be picked in 5 years time, he will stroll onto it!

Monaghan Exile (Monaghan) - Posts: 387 - 22/12/2019 12:14:48    2255870

Link

Generally agree, though would have kieran Hughes instead of an unlucky S Gollogly. Ryan Wylie unlucky, but I suspect if this team was to be picked in 5 years time, he will stroll onto it!

Monaghan Exile (Monaghan) - Posts: 387 - 22/12/2019 12:15:19    2255871

Link

What has Kieran Hughes done since 2013 Ulster Final??

Not Knocking him,but would love to know as some posters seem to think he has been one of our best performers this past 10 years.

I fully understand that we cant expect him to perform like he did that day every day he goes out but have i missed some big games that he has swung for us?

My memories of him was 2013.........great end to the league from him......was brilliant against Cavan in the semi final and the final he was unreal.

hardcore (Monaghan) - Posts: 1366 - 23/12/2019 00:23:40    2255935

Link

Replying To hardcore:  "What has Kieran Hughes done since 2013 Ulster Final??

Not Knocking him,but would love to know as some posters seem to think he has been one of our best performers this past 10 years.

I fully understand that we cant expect him to perform like he did that day every day he goes out but have i missed some big games that he has swung for us?

My memories of him was 2013.........great end to the league from him......was brilliant against Cavan in the semi final and the final he was unreal."
If he'd been sprung a bit earlier against tyrone in 18 he might have made the difference that day. I guess given the significance of the win in 13 and his contribution to it a lot of people have him up there. I think he has been messed around a lot in different positions to fill gaps and never given a proper run in his best position which is full forward. Now whether the new set up can get him motoring there be good to see. Unfortunately he will probably still be needed round the middle.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1434 - 23/12/2019 12:22:57    2255964

Link

Replying To hardcore:  "What has Kieran Hughes done since 2013 Ulster Final??

My memories of him was 2013.........great end to the league from him......was brilliant against Cavan in the semi final and the final he was unreal."
In the final league game of 2016 in Blayney, Donegal raced into a 1-4 to 0-0 lead after about 10 minutes. We looked dead and buried but Kieran Hughes dragged us back into that game in the first half with some unreal catches that got the team moving.
Most people will remember the last minute winning point from Colin Walsh....but I reckon we would have been relegated that day if it hadn't been for Kieran Hughes.

Monagael (Monaghan) - Posts: 97 - 23/12/2019 15:57:31    2255995

Link

Replying To seanie08:  "If he'd been sprung a bit earlier against tyrone in 18 he might have made the difference that day. I guess given the significance of the win in 13 and his contribution to it a lot of people have him up there. I think he has been messed around a lot in different positions to fill gaps and never given a proper run in his best position which is full forward. Now whether the new set up can get him motoring there be good to see. Unfortunately he will probably still be needed round the middle."
I can't understand why some posters think the Kieran Hughes would be good at full forward!! He has never played well in this position. He can field a high ball but under pressure from a full back, he generally loses his footing. If the ball is played in low he doesn't have the movement However this year the forward Mark means that he just needs to hold onto the ball. This could be his year to shine.

Farney (Monaghan) - Posts: 727 - 23/12/2019 22:16:11    2256047

Link

Replying To Farney:  "I can't understand why some posters think the Kieran Hughes would be good at full forward!! He has never played well in this position. He can field a high ball but under pressure from a full back, he generally loses his footing. If the ball is played in low he doesn't have the movement However this year the forward Mark means that he just needs to hold onto the ball. This could be his year to shine."
I contradicted myself there!! But Kieran Hughes tends to make people do that. He can be brilliant one minute and has insane ability to do the impossible. But then he loses the ball in contact, or shoots an easy ball wide or scores from an impossible angle with 3 men hanging off him. I don't think that Kieran Hughes has played well as full forward in the past for the reasons I've given. He was better receiving the ball 30 yards out and reacting putting the ball over the bar. I hope 2020 is his year.

Farney (Monaghan) - Posts: 727 - 24/12/2019 07:08:53    2256061

Link

I thought he had a very good season in 2017 he was probably as good as I've seen him, then he got injured. I think his head was in the right place that year.

Other seasons it was all over the place, one minute he did something that was genius, the next it was insanity.

He started centerfield for most of 2017 in league and championship and ill be honest i thought he was close to being our stand out player over the course of the year.

supermon (Monaghan) - Posts: 1067 - 25/12/2019 00:21:00    2256118

Link

Getting more out of Kieran Hughes is one of MOR's few failures. In my opinion his best position is FF. He ran McGee ragged in 2013 final but we never saw the best of him for a sustained period after that. I always thought he was a stop gap at midfield but with Eoin's retirement and before Niall K established himself he did a good job. I know he wasn't fully fit for most of 2018 but he tore into Tyrone when he came on in semi final. He scored a point that day that only he could score. If he'd been on 10 minutes earlier we would have surely got the win. As established here, I'm no big fan of Banty's but if he could harness this force of nature we could be looking at a very good year. KH should be at the peak of his footballing powers for the next 2 or 3 years. A FF line of Mansy/ Hughes and McGuinness or McCarthy would strike fear into any full back line.

FootblockREF (Monaghan) - Posts: 416 - 26/12/2019 09:21:02    2256145

Link

Don't know why people think Kieran Hughes is best at full forward. He only.had one or 2 good games there. The way we played under MOR it was vital that we retained possession form midfield and with Ulster football we were slowed down and therefore Hughes full forward was pointless so made sense to play him in midfield. I would be playing him midfield with Kearns again as I don't believe he has the speed or the quick turn to play full forward. His ability to win a high ball is great but we will need that further out the field I believe.

monaghanmad (Monaghan) - Posts: 165 - 26/12/2019 13:45:32    2256153

Link

Replying To FootblockREF:  "Getting more out of Kieran Hughes is one of MOR's few failures. In my opinion his best position is FF. He ran McGee ragged in 2013 final but we never saw the best of him for a sustained period after that. I always thought he was a stop gap at midfield but with Eoin's retirement and before Niall K established himself he did a good job. I know he wasn't fully fit for most of 2018 but he tore into Tyrone when he came on in semi final. He scored a point that day that only he could score. If he'd been on 10 minutes earlier we would have surely got the win. As established here, I'm no big fan of Banty's but if he could harness this force of nature we could be looking at a very good year. KH should be at the peak of his footballing powers for the next 2 or 3 years. A FF line of Mansy/ Hughes and McGuinness or McCarthy would strike fear into any full back line."
You'll be glad to hear that he played FF against Derry in a challenge game not too long ago

MonaghanGlory (Monaghan) - Posts: 674 - 26/12/2019 18:12:08    2256169

Link