Monaghan Forum

NFL 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To countymonaghan:  "Huge game this sunday for the lads. Whats everyones verdict on this one. If we can go at it like we did against Dubin then we should run out winners but it won't be easy. Hoping the lads get a good start and get a result. A result here would allow them to let the shackles off against Kerry and Donegal and allow them to go for the game.

Meath were very unlucky with a few results and were hard done by in a few of them. They find themselves on zero points so depending on their remaining games they could still be on zero when we meet them in the final game. Therefore they would have nothin to play for.

Really admire the style of play Banty and co have brought to the table. Look at the amount of scorers we are getting, Think we have the most scorers across the whole league. Against Dublin we had 8 different scorers. Beggan, Boyle,Bannigan,McAnespie,Kearns,McCarthy,Ward and McManus.

Again against Tyrone we had 9 scorers. McCarthy,O'Connell,McManus,McCarron,Hughes x2, Boyle,Ward,Kearns. This is a again something very promising as for a few years we were depending on McManus for 8/9 points a game.

Against Galway there was also 9 scoreres. C McManus, J McCarron, C McCarthy, K Hughes, R McAnespie, K Duffy, R Beggan, C McGuinness, A Mulligan.

Leaves the opponent's with more to think about instead of depending solely on McManus."
It's a very salient point. I think in the floodlit match v Dublin 4 years ago, we scored something like 16 points and McManus got 12. I think I remember reading a stat that Conor got 48% of our scores in the league that year. Big change this year. It also will help Conor's longevity if he doesn't have to e "the man" every game.

FootblockREF (Monaghan) - Posts: 416 - 18/02/2020 19:28:57    2268353

Link

I believe Davy Garland has rejoined the panel, big boost for the team. Roll on Sunday

room2 (Monaghan) - Posts: 93 - 19/02/2020 09:45:54    2268402

Link

was an entertaining game last year, the same fixture - quite open with a lot of nice scores ...

back then mayo were riding a wave and had home advantage.

I think its roles reversed this year and we'll come out on top. but they're a stubborn crowd that wont be beat until the final whistle goes so i imagine it'll be another classic nail-biter for the farney.

Monaghan by 1or2 for me..

I hope/assume/guess we'll be joint 2nd with kerry after the weekend (with only galway and dublin ahead of us)

MalsBalls (Monaghan) - Posts: 94 - 19/02/2020 14:05:45    2268443

Link

I'd be v wary of this game. Mayo still for me when needs be in top 3 or 4 teams in country and have no fear of clones winning on both their last visits. Their style of play has always been a problem for us hard physical running game. We have only beaten this current mayo side once in the league in the opener in castlebar three years ago and that was skin of teeth stuff. They will expect the two points themselves as they look to cement their div 1 status. Will be a dogfight hopefully we get over the line by a point or two.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1434 - 19/02/2020 20:23:30    2268508

Link

If you take out Meath, who are not Div One level, there have been 9 games in the top league this season. 3 draws, 4 one point wins. I'd expect our next 3 games to follow the same pattern but our best chance of picking up 2 points before the Meath game is Sunday.

FootblockREF (Monaghan) - Posts: 416 - 20/02/2020 06:30:12    2268553

Link

Replying To seanie08:  "I'd be v wary of this game. Mayo still for me when needs be in top 3 or 4 teams in country and have no fear of clones winning on both their last visits. Their style of play has always been a problem for us hard physical running game. We have only beaten this current mayo side once in the league in the opener in castlebar three years ago and that was skin of teeth stuff. They will expect the two points themselves as they look to cement their div 1 status. Will be a dogfight hopefully we get over the line by a point or two."
Mayo have what 5/6 regulars starting on sunday and a raft of players missing.. if we call ourselves a so called top 5/6 team we should be taking mayo comfortably on Sunday.. Seen mayo playing meath in the last round and both sides were shocking.. some division 3 teams would have beat them on the day

Monaghan by 5pts plus on Sunday for me..

mick2007 (Monaghan) - Posts: 224 - 21/02/2020 17:03:14    2268840

Link