Monaghan Forum

Club Football 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To countymonaghan:  "Agree on this also. Why not just allow it be refixtured. They have left it this long whats another two weeks?? The county board is the problem I wouldn't blame the teams. They are doing it cause of their players."
......two weeks.......and if Clontibret win the County Final...???????...... Cop yourself on.

seamusorinn (USA) - Posts: 73 - 15/10/2019 02:02:36    2243593

Link

Replying To FootblockREF:  "There was a sour ending to the Ballybay v Scotstown game that Ballybay player might get a ban which no doubt will be turned over on appeal.
I think you have this all wrong with Ballybay. For a start they are the only team to give Scotstown any trouble in knock out championship over the last number of years. In the 4 years of this 4 in a row Ballybay have played Scotstown 6 times. They've drawn 2 and lost 4. They lost by 2 points in 2016, 3 points in semi final replay in 2017, same in last years final and 5 points on Sunday. No one else is laying a glove on Scotstown. Don't talk to me about Truagh, if Scotstown were taking that game seriously, at least one of the Hughes would have started. Semi finals and finals are where you separate the wheat from the chaff.
Everyone harps back to the semi final in 2017 and rightly so. Ballybay did throw it away to an extent. But ask yourselves this question; you're 8 points down going into injury time with your best player off injured and you haven't scored in 30 minutes. What would your team do? Would they have the determination, character, skill and bit of luck to keep going? Be honest with yourselves the answer is no! The only team I've seen do anything like it in my lifetime at club level was Blayney v Inniskeen in Carrick in 1990. And that was a great Blayney team. And that finished Inniskeen for a decade at least this Ballybay team came back again and again.
This Scotstown team could easily have 2 Ulster Clubs. Both finals lost in extra time. I don't think they are getting the credit they are due. And I think the reason is that a huge crowd turned up in Clontibret to see the Kilcar game a few years ago and they had an absolute disaster and everyone made a judgement on them.
Does anyone really give Clontibret any hope on Sunday? Seriously? Who picks up Kieran Hughes? There isn't a man in Monaghan can play him when he's right. Who takes McCarthy? Shane Carey is playing the best football of his career and Darren, giving the months off, is back to his best. And hopefully this championship has finally put to bed who should be hitting the long range frees for Monaghan, because it should be Rory. They have a set of backs who don't care about reputation and they only have 2 Clontibtet forwards to worry about and neither of those are 100% fit. Clontibret will do really well to keep it under 7 points. You can slag off Ballybay all you like. But the only team to challenge Scotstown next year will be the men in maroon. And they're the only team that Scotstown respect."
Spot on "Footblock". Most of the other nonsense about Ballybay is probably written by people who haven't even been to the games. Agree Clontibret will do well to keep it under 7 or 8 points. With a wee bit of luck in 2 finals this Scotstown team would be vying with the 70s/80s team for best ever from the club.

seamusorinn (USA) - Posts: 73 - 15/10/2019 02:14:07    2243594

Link

Replying To countymonaghan:  "Do you mind throwing some light on what happened after the game??

Agree with their attitude they seem to turn on each other when things get tough in games. Not a good sign in a team especially a team with so many leaders. (Jap,Wylies,McGuinness).

See the final fixed for Clones. Hopefully the weather picks up and we see two teams go at it. A shoot out be nice to see between two decent sides. Man on man let them play ball. Scotstown obviously favourites but Clontibret may rather that. Matchups be key on both teams but more so on the Scotstowns 6 forwards.

Maghercloone proved far too strong for Donaghmoyne. They never seemed in too much bother always looked comfortable"
If you you ventured out in the weather instead of relying on second hand reports from Clontibret and Clones you would have seen exactly what happened.

seamusorinn (USA) - Posts: 73 - 15/10/2019 02:17:06    2243595

Link

Replying To FootblockREF:  "There was a sour ending to the Ballybay v Scotstown game that Ballybay player might get a ban which no doubt will be turned over on appeal.
I think you have this all wrong with Ballybay. For a start they are the only team to give Scotstown any trouble in knock out championship over the last number of years. In the 4 years of this 4 in a row Ballybay have played Scotstown 6 times. They've drawn 2 and lost 4. They lost by 2 points in 2016, 3 points in semi final replay in 2017, same in last years final and 5 points on Sunday. No one else is laying a glove on Scotstown. Don't talk to me about Truagh, if Scotstown were taking that game seriously, at least one of the Hughes would have started. Semi finals and finals are where you separate the wheat from the chaff.
Everyone harps back to the semi final in 2017 and rightly so. Ballybay did throw it away to an extent. But ask yourselves this question; you're 8 points down going into injury time with your best player off injured and you haven't scored in 30 minutes. What would your team do? Would they have the determination, character, skill and bit of luck to keep going? Be honest with yourselves the answer is no! The only team I've seen do anything like it in my lifetime at club level was Blayney v Inniskeen in Carrick in 1990. And that was a great Blayney team. And that finished Inniskeen for a decade at least this Ballybay team came back again and again.
This Scotstown team could easily have 2 Ulster Clubs. Both finals lost in extra time. I don't think they are getting the credit they are due. And I think the reason is that a huge crowd turned up in Clontibret to see the Kilcar game a few years ago and they had an absolute disaster and everyone made a judgement on them.
Does anyone really give Clontibret any hope on Sunday? Seriously? Who picks up Kieran Hughes? There isn't a man in Monaghan can play him when he's right. Who takes McCarthy? Shane Carey is playing the best football of his career and Darren, giving the months off, is back to his best. And hopefully this championship has finally put to bed who should be hitting the long range frees for Monaghan, because it should be Rory. They have a set of backs who don't care about reputation and they only have 2 Clontibtet forwards to worry about and neither of those are 100% fit. Clontibret will do really well to keep it under 7 points. You can slag off Ballybay all you like. But the only team to challenge Scotstown next year will be the men in maroon. And they're the only team that Scotstown respect."
I would agree 100% with the above post. I don't see many other teams taking scotstown to replays etc. I know scotstown have 4 adult teams and have a huge catchment area with about 70 plus players to pick from which gives them an unreal advantage so for ballybay to be pushing scotstown to the pin of their collar everytime is a credit to them. Unfort I cant see this current ballybay team wining another championship unless they dip into the transfer market again very soon.
I would compare this ballybay team to the great mayo team that never won sam. Its easy to dismiss ballybay the same way people slated mayo for being bottlers but the fact of the matter is that they ran into a superpower in this era

mick2007 (Monaghan) - Posts: 210 - 15/10/2019 09:09:15    2243607

Link

If Ballybay are as great as some here are making out, how did they have a tight game with Clontibret and ultimately lose out? You'd swear there were 2 teams head and shoulders above everyone else listening to those on here. I'd still be predicting Scotstown to win, but I wouldn't just be quite so dismissive of Clontibret either.

patk (Monaghan) - Posts: 792 - 15/10/2019 10:19:09    2243626

Link

Yes, Ballybay are are a great side. I would argue that individually they have are better than Scotstown, and they shouldn't be getting sympathy for losing to Scotstown year in, year out. They've crumbled on too many occasions. Since they won in 2012, the only 'big' team I can remember them beating was a poor Clontibret team last year.
Also, for Footblock to suggest that Scotstown have no respect for Clontibret is just completely false. The two most dominant clubs of the last 20+ years going at it, should be a good one.

HB245 (Monaghan) - Posts: 66 - 15/10/2019 10:39:56    2243633

Link

Replying To patk:  "If Ballybay are as great as some here are making out, how did they have a tight game with Clontibret and ultimately lose out? You'd swear there were 2 teams head and shoulders above everyone else listening to those on here. I'd still be predicting Scotstown to win, but I wouldn't just be quite so dismissive of Clontibret either."
They're aren't 2 teams head and shoulders above everyone else. There's Scotstown then a gap to Ballybay then another gap to the rest. So Scotstown are head and shoulders,Ballybay are just the shoulders! You can't make judgements about games where there is a backdoor. Shane McGuinness scored one of the best goals I've ever seen last Saturday but he didn't start against Clontibret in the championship this year because it wasn't an essential game. You could point fingers at Scotstown for the Truagh game, how did they need penalties to put away a team that had 14 men for 30 minutes? It's because that game was Truagh's final, to Scotstown it was just a stepping stone with an alternative route if needed. Like I said in original post, if Scotstown were serious that day, one,if not both of the Hughes brothers would have started. Actually, you can make judgements if you like, but you're fooling yourself.
If Clontibret are so good, why is this their first final since 2016? They didn't even qualify for semi finals in 2017, losing to Latton and Truagh and last year got well beaten by Ballybay at semi stage despite taking a 1-2 to no score lead in first 5 minutes. They scored 6 points in the remaining 55 minutes.
In the years championship, Clontibret have scored 2-10 before extra time v Carrick, 0-13 v Ballybay and 1-10 v Latton. That won't be close to enough on Sunday. The only basis for optimism for Clontibret is that Mansy has one of those days like he had v Kerry last year.
Clontibret will do very well not to take the beating that Magheracloone and the Harps have taken in recent finals.
Ballybay might not be able to get over the line against Scotstown but they were near the line. There's no other team even in the race.

FootblockREF (Monaghan) - Posts: 361 - 15/10/2019 11:13:33    2243645

Link

Replying To HB245:  "Yes, Ballybay are are a great side. I would argue that individually they have are better than Scotstown, and they shouldn't be getting sympathy for losing to Scotstown year in, year out. They've crumbled on too many occasions. Since they won in 2012, the only 'big' team I can remember them beating was a poor Clontibret team last year.
Also, for Footblock to suggest that Scotstown have no respect for Clontibret is just completely false. The two most dominant clubs of the last 20+ years going at it, should be a good one."
Based on what? Clontibret ran Scotstown close in 2016. That's the same year we lost to Longford! What have they done since then that makes you think that It will be "a good one". No semi final in '17, 9 point defeat in '18 followed by a last day escape from relegation. People need to wise up. Scotstown could do 10 in a row the way things are shaping.

FootblockREF (Monaghan) - Posts: 361 - 15/10/2019 12:51:18    2243671

Link

When was the last time Scotstown lost a game in the championship?

jakestevens81 (Monaghan) - Posts: 179 - 15/10/2019 15:04:16    2243723

Link

Replying To jakestevens81:  "When was the last time Scotstown lost a game in the championship?"
2014. Lost a final to Clontibret by a point. Also lost the 2011 by a point to Latton. So in this decade they have contested 8 of 10 finals. Only Clontibret v Magheracloone in 2010 and Ballybay v Clontibret in 2012 didn't have Scotstown in them. Hard to believe that their 2013 title was their first for 20 years.

FootblockREF (Monaghan) - Posts: 361 - 15/10/2019 17:01:03    2243754

Link

Replying To seamusorinn:  "If you you ventured out in the weather instead of relying on second hand reports from Clontibret and Clones you would have seen exactly what happened."
I'll have you know I was at the game in clontibret. Sorry I couldn't make Clones but hopefully will make the final.

countymonaghan (Monaghan) - Posts: 153 - 15/10/2019 21:08:28    2243812

Link

Amazing to think castleblayney faughs are no longer a force on the monaghan circuit after dominating for years
When was the last time they took a title?

222 (UK) - Posts: 505 - 16/10/2019 14:18:14    2243934

Link

Castleblayney's days at senior are numbered. in 2020 if Inniskeen, Latton and Magheracloone can hold their own.
The faughs will be playing intermediate football in 2021.

latefortraining (Monaghan) - Posts: 32 - 16/10/2019 16:32:57    2243956

Link