Monaghan Forum

Have We Lost Malachy

(Oldest Posts First)

Heard on ther grapevine Today that Malachy is moving I hope this is wrong cause I would love him to stay ???????????

ruthless (Monaghan) - Posts: 593 - 27/08/2017 23:37:11    2039019

Link

Replying To ruthless:  "Heard on ther grapevine Today that Malachy is moving I hope this is wrong cause I would love him to stay ???????????"
I hope it's not true, but if it is, then he's leaving on his own terms, and he owes us nothing.

moodoo (Monaghan) - Posts: 350 - 28/08/2017 14:00:00    2039340

Link

He is a good manager and if he had any sense would leave us. We are an ulster title team who are afraid of croke park. Its 30 years ago next year since we played in an all ireland semi final and 88 yeard since we played in our only final.

The super 8 will not help us.

Bernardo (Monaghan) - Posts: 469 - 28/08/2017 20:21:50    2039592

Link

Replying To Bernardo:  "He is a good manager and if he had any sense would leave us. We are an ulster title team who are afraid of croke park. Its 30 years ago next year since we played in an all ireland semi final and 88 yeard since we played in our only final.

The super 8 will not help us."
Confirmed today he stays on for 2018

MONAGHAN1985 (Monaghan) - Posts: 67 - 14/09/2017 11:04:30    2045911

Link

Replying To MONAGHAN1985:  "Confirmed today he stays on for 2018"
Let's hope he freshens up the team massively and gives a good run out to some new players regardless of whether relegation from Div 1 is threatened or not. 30 minutes in a McKenna Cup game in winter is not really the place to judge a player.

All focus should be now on getting to the Super 8 and if we do there will be a very good chance of making the semi-finals. But the team that lined out against Dublin won't be good enough. New midfield has got to be the number one priority, any combination of the Hughes/McAdam will not cut it at that level.

PolicemanFox (Monaghan) - Posts: 54 - 14/09/2017 14:41:09    2045984

Link

Best of luck to Malachy and the team for 2018. Like last year I think it's the wrong call but I am a supporter after all and hope am wrong. Only way can see it working is for Malachy to take a risk and overhaul style of play and personnel involved which based on last few seasons is unlikely to happen.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1396 - 14/09/2017 19:28:49    2046087

Link

Replying To seanie08:  "Best of luck to Malachy and the team for 2018. Like last year I think it's the wrong call but I am a supporter after all and hope am wrong. Only way can see it working is for Malachy to take a risk and overhaul style of play and personnel involved which based on last few seasons is unlikely to happen."
What style of play? Man to man and get beat out the gate?

kupa (Monaghan) - Posts: 266 - 15/09/2017 14:55:40    2046247

Link

What style of play? Man to man and get beat out the gate?

kupa (Monaghan) - Posts:163 - 15/09/2017 14:55:40 2

13 men behind the ball against Dublin and still got beat out the gate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so your argument holds no water.

This appointment is wrong,and please dont say there's no good managers out there

Pat Gilroy,Pete McGrath both All Ireland winning managers.

Banty and Martin McHugh together...........Dinky McBride!!

How no one has questioned what happened this past 2 seasons on the pitch? (threw away 2 semi finals from the sideline lost to longford and went to Croke Park again in a Quarter Final and got hammered AGAIN!)

2013 is long gone but our management are living off it and our talented team are been held back by this.

hardcore (Monaghan) - Posts: 1353 - 16/09/2017 13:39:36    2046432

Link

Replying To hardcore:  "What style of play? Man to man and get beat out the gate?

13 men behind the ball against Dublin and still got beat out the gate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so your argument holds no water.

This appointment is wrong,and please dont say there's no good managers out there

How no one has questioned what happened this past 2 seasons on the pitch? (threw away 2 semi finals from the sideline lost to longford and went to Croke Park again in a Quarter Final and got hammered AGAIN!)

2013 is long gone but our management are living off it and our talented team are been held back by this."
While I agree there needs to be some form of a change, I can't agree with you on any of your suggestions bar Pat Gilroy. I said before if we were changing the replacement needs to be an improvement, not a like for like which Dinky and Pete McGrath would be in my opinion. As for McHugh and Banty that would be a complete step backwards. Gilroy is a great shout but his winning Dublin team also played a very defensive game no matter what they try and tell us! For the season ahead I would suggest possibly a change of team trainer I know there was back room changes last year but for me this and the manager are the most important role in an inter county set up and these stayed the same. We looked flat again when we got to Croke Park and some would say the championship in general. We have the players we just need to get the best out of them at the right time of year. James Horan would be my pick to replace Mal when he decides to go. Here's hoping for a successful 2018.

CurlyFingers (Monaghan) - Posts: 47 - 17/09/2017 08:33:42    2046582

Link

Why would Pat Gilroy or James Horan be interested in the job? Neither are based nearby. Doubt we could afford either of them even if they were interested.

sporto (Monaghan) - Posts: 133 - 18/09/2017 12:30:43    2047397

Link

Replying To hardcore:  "What style of play? Man to man and get beat out the gate?

2013 is long gone but our management are living off it and our talented team are been held back by this."
13 men behind the ball and got beat by 10 points. Toe to toe like Westmeath and things become much worse.

We are not Mayo or Kerry, we don't have 10+ star players... I agree we need to freshen things up and try to be more tactically astute but we are some distance from beating a 'top team'. My only criticism of MOR is his reluctance to bring new faces in quicker. He under used McCarthy in the championship and didnt give the new crop of lads a proper run at all (Mealiff, Bannigan, etc)

seanfinn (Monaghan) - Posts: 358 - 22/09/2017 14:26:04    2049354

Link