Kildare Forum

Kildare Sponsorship

(Oldest Posts First)

Slightly off the point of the match today but I've recently been looking at the size of the population in Kildare as well as the many large businesses located here.... I don't believe an entire county system can be run on the basis of being sponsored by ham... All credit to them. They stepped in when it looked like we couldn't get a sponsor and here's my problem:

With such resources based in the county, how the hell have the county board not been able to get a larger sponsor for the county in order to pump investment into teams. Everyone gave out about how much it cost to run geezers teams but the simple fact these days is money talks... If you want a competitive team you'll have to pay for it. No point trying to do things on the cheap. I wouldn't like to suggest main sponsors because that's the job of the co. Board. I just don't think they've been innovative enough in their searches.....

There's money out there but they have to go out and work for it!

JacksieR (Kildare) - Posts: 27 - 04/07/2015 11:43:41    1747301

Link

Jacksie,

Business men who run companies won't plough huge money in because they won't see a significant return on it. That's really all there is to it.

If it makes good financial sense they will do it. If it doesn't they won't.

If we were getting to All-Ireland finals and in Division 1 ( Coverage on the TV for sponsors) we would have no trouble in getting sponsorship.

What's wrong with Brady's anyway? A good local employer and seems to be doing very well for themselves.

daytona11 (Kildare) - Posts: 3683 - 08/07/2015 16:40:02    1750023

Link

Oh don't get me wrong... No issue with Brady's at all... Apart from the awful purple on the jersey. That needs to be sorted ASAP... We're the lilywhites not the lilywhites and purple! But being serious I believe they signed a 3 year deal for 300k or I could be corrected on that?

That has to be spread over all teams in Kildare and I simply don't think that's enough.. No issue with them I just think we need bigger deals with more money if we want to improve in the coming years. It costs money to develop teams these days and employ the right guys in the background such as physios and strength and conditioning etc. I feel Kildare's standards have dropped in that regard in recent years.. We seem slower and more ponderous under Ryan as well as lighter.

I believe at the moment our footballers aren't at the level of the geezer teams and that's ok. Every county has its ups and downs however there's no excuse for fitness levels.. A lad might struggle to kick with both feet or kick a point outside 40 metres but the least county level players should be expected is that they can keep up with their markers.

The likes of Cian O'Neill and David Mathews cost money and let's not be fooled that they'd work for Kildare out of the goodness of their hearts or a sense of loyalty. They'll cost money. We don't have it. Simple as that.

A bigger sponsor would help!

It'd also take the pressure off the clubs who are being levied by the co. Board in an effort to keeps things going at county level.

Thanks Brady's... But we need to aim for bigger deals.

JacksieR (Kildare) - Posts: 27 - 08/07/2015 20:41:30    1750179

Link

Jacksie,

Just to highlight one of my points from my original post.

We are not successful enough at the moment or getting enough coverage to be attractive for a sponsor to throw money at us.

That's the crux of it I think.

daytona11 (Kildare) - Posts: 3683 - 09/07/2015 09:57:59    1750288

Link

True... So we're stuck in a vicious cycle of going between nearly men and also runners... Never to break through the glass ceiling and aspire to bigger sponsors and better back up for county teams.

Can't see us improving without the funding and can't get the funding without success. We're screwed lads, lock up Conleth's its over. The local shop in Prosperous will be sponsoring us next in a deal involving free chicken fillet rolls and a bottle of water per player.

Or let's chance aspiring to greater things, pulling the finger out regarding sponsors and going for bigger deals. We've decent support, there isn't a Kildare person I know that doesn't talk about the team. We should try and harness the growing population and get financial backing that reflects this.

JacksieR (Kildare) - Posts: 27 - 09/07/2015 15:11:10    1750520

Link

It's not all about the return for some businesses. Tegral backed us through many a lean year long after Micko and before Geezer even in the bad old days when our summers were over after one outing. No harm in investigating another sponsor like Tegral . Pity Tony O'Reilly is broke !

St.Conleth (Kildare) - Posts: 1591 - 09/07/2015 21:31:24    1750745

Link

True... So we're stuck in a vicious cycle of going between nearly men and also runners... Never to break through the glass ceiling and aspire to bigger sponsors and better back up for county teams.

Can't see us improving without the funding and can't get the funding without success. We're screwed lads, lock up Conleth's its over. The local shop in Prosperous will be sponsoring us next in a deal involving free chicken fillet rolls and a bottle of water per player.

Or let's chance aspiring to greater things, pulling the finger out regarding sponsors and going for bigger deals. We've decent support, there isn't a Kildare person I know that doesn't talk about the team. We should try and harness the growing population and get financial backing that reflects this.

JacksieR (Kildare) - Posts: 27 - 10/07/2015 14:17:12    1751031

Link

Exactly. I don't have the figures but I'd hazard a guess that Kildare usually sell a high number of jerseys every year... Perhaps apart from this one. I've never heard such criticism for a Kildare Jersey since the extra black on the shorts circa 1995...

Companies would be thinking there's a lot of exposure in that. I just think the county board need to be more innovative in getting bigger deals... No harm aiming for that anyway. Surely Intel or Hewlett Pakard would throw us a few quid. After all they've gotten a lot from the county over the years in terms of employees and road facilities too and from their plants... As well as massive tax cuts!!!!

JacksieR (Kildare) - Posts: 27 - 10/07/2015 14:22:22    1751034

Link