Kildare Forum

Did Kieran McGeeney make a mistake?

(Oldest Posts First)

Like the vast majority of outsiders would love to have seen the Kildare under 21s win the All Ireland. A multi talented team and the county deserves success at national level. However could not believe my eyes the previous week when a good number of the under 21 stars were chosen for the NFL game against Tyrone. Surely last Saturdays game with Galway was much more important. Playing against Tyrone was the worst preparation possible. Eyes off the ball, training schedule interupted, possible injuries picked up, concentration on two games when it should only have been on Galway. Some of the things that come to mind. And how do the more senior players dropped to make way for the young guns feel about the matter. They cannot be happy. All goes back to the manager and I have to ask did Kieran McGeeney make a massive mistake.

Auldfella (Meath) - Posts: 472 - 22/04/2013 15:26:14    1371776

Link

Auldfella, it has to have had some effect. Lads like Sean Hurley and Paddy Brophy looked very heavy legged.

I would be far more critical however, of McGeeneys lack if tactical nous. He is a great motivator and trainer but I don't think he has a clue of how to set out a team. Yes we kicked 21 wides, but the cohesion and supporting of the forwards was also very poor. Thats a mangers responsiblity. He also watched helpless as his team beat itself. No subs until the game was gone from them. It was cruel to leave Fogarty and Dowling on. They kicked 11 wides between them and you'd have to wonder if young lads can ever recover mentally from that.

Loosing this semi final really is an absolute disaster for Kildare football because going forward its very important to have experience of winning things and create a culture of winning championships. The standard of this years u21 championship was very poor so you'd have to say a glorious opportunity was missed.

Daith (Kildare) - Posts: 1100 - 22/04/2013 16:01:59    1371813

Link

Daith
County: Kildare

Auldfella, it has to have had some effect. Lads like Sean Hurley and Paddy Brophy looked very heavy legged.

I would be far more critical however, of McGeeneys lack if tactical nous. He is a great motivator and trainer but I don't think he has a clue of how to set out a team. Yes we kicked 21 wides, but the cohesion and supporting of the forwards was also very poor. Thats a mangers responsiblity. He also watched helpless as his team beat itself. No subs until the game was gone from them. It was cruel to leave Fogarty and Dowling on. They kicked 11 wides between them and you'd have to wonder if young lads can ever recover mentally from that.

Loosing this semi final really is an absolute disaster for Kildare football because going forward its very important to have experience of winning things and create a culture of winning championships. The standard of this years u21 championship was very poor so you'd have to say a glorious opportunity was missed.

Agree with all of that. McGeeney waited too long to make changes. Mahon should have been on earlier and Conor Murphy could have been introduced. Cribbin was one of the few players who was effective on the ball and yet he was left too deep to have any meaningful impact. Very frustrating and a massive opportunity lost.

beir_bua (Kildare) - Posts: 746 - 22/04/2013 17:49:47    1371918

Link

Playing the u/21's against tyrone was a big mistake, why, because they had one eye on the league final, one eye on the u/21 semi final, hense one third of both teams effected.
Kildare had 12 wides in the first half 10 in the second, 2 soft effords that fell into the keepers hands and 1 efford that came back off the post, 25 wasted attempts 25% of those would have won the game for us.
Galway played the low smart ball that got them scores, Kildare played the sky high hopefull ball that yieled nothing.
Even cork in the second game took some of their score able frees from the ground with success.
Kildare looked only a shadow of the team that won the leinster final, where as galway looked a lot fresher.
McGeeney had no answer for that red haired varley chap and the mid field lad (8).
The reason I say galway deserved their win was they didn't let the endless chances that came Kildare's way for scores put them off their game.
I have a sneaking suspecision that Mc Geeney will approach the senior game with Offaly in a different light.

Cuhullain (Kildare) - Posts: 209 - 22/04/2013 18:30:35    1371958

Link

Is the deafeat that big a deal? Not being smart, i know trophies matter but we made the final in 08 and it never resulted in a big scalp at senior level? I know players have to come through but it takes time. An u-21 AI would have caused a bit of unhelpful hype around the dublin game, as if some young lads were gonna storm it up against the experienced dubs and pull off afamous victory-the gap between u-21 and senior is pretty big but i do think we need to see them in the qualifier run, the more games the better but our lack of scoring ability will see our run ended by a big team most likely.

switec (Kildare) - Posts: 525 - 23/04/2013 13:27:05    1372295

Link

Daith. Dowling kicked 6 wides and Fogarty only the one. Watched the game on a recording yesterday to get them stats.

butters1990 (Kildare) - Posts: 262 - 23/04/2013 16:41:59    1372435

Link

Butters, I don't know how you look at that game again. Painful!

Daith (Kildare) - Posts: 1100 - 23/04/2013 17:17:35    1372464

Link

switec the Dublin game? You're forgetting Offaly are up first. Offaly could pull off an upset yet. Its happened to us before it can happen again. You just never know with us. Offaly will be confident aswell going into the championship after a successful league campaign.

cilldaraboy82 (Kildare) - Posts: 61 - 23/04/2013 19:40:39    1372552

Link

A lot of Ray Houghton analysis in hindsight here lads. I thought they were right to play beforehand. I'm not going to pretend I knew we were doomed from the start now that we lost both games.

doublehop (Kildare) - Posts: 4172 - 23/04/2013 20:16:21    1372578

Link

I can't really see how playin the lads in Tyrone game made much of a difference possession wasn't an issue for us we had enough ball & chances to win the game we just couldn't shoot! Our forwards had an awful day whose to blame??? That I don't know.. I do agree though that mcgeeney should have made changes earlier but aside from that it just wasn't our day!

Shineonlily (Kildare) - Posts: 26 - 23/04/2013 20:40:52    1372589

Link

true cilldaraboy, anyone can beat kildare on their day but I think we'll beat offally, but qualifiers await after that for sure!

switec (Kildare) - Posts: 525 - 24/04/2013 09:18:25    1372653

Link