Kildare Forum

Kildare under 21

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Have to admit galway deserved their win, so for Kildare this will be remembered as the one that got away reports say Kildare had 19 wides I counted 21 ticked them off on the programme. Sky high shots for points into a swirling wind lost the game for us. That red haired chap for galway and their mid field (8) played havoc and nothing was done on the line to deal with them, their two corner backs had better games I'd say yet Kildare forwards couldn't capitalise on that weakness.
It was a bad decision to play the u/21 lads against tyrone and it showed yesterday, I hope galway go on now and win it out, after yesterdays performance they deserve it.

The one complaint I have is charging 20 euros in was a bit much for an u/21 game add to that, there was NO ticket/receipt given out at the turn stiles.

Cuhullain (Kildare) - Posts: 209 - 21/04/2013 10:57:52    1370882

Link

Cuhulainn - I dont know if you could say they deserved the win as Kildare just kicked it away in the first half in particular, its so disappointing considering the amount of chances. Having said that Galway took their scores so overall maybe they did but still feel Kildare let this game slip

Celboboy (Kildare) - Posts: 25 - 21/04/2013 13:22:40    1370964

Link

I thought the Galway management team got the tactics spot on yesterday,worked the ball in to the scorers and then left it to them to do the rest,which they did. On the other hand, Kildare seemed to take shots from impossible angles and never used the head at all,it just looked like close your eyes and have a go stuff. Also the Kildare no 12 who was the most dangerous forward ye had,was playing far too deep to cause Galway any trouble. I don't think your sideline covered themselves in glory yestarday and from looking at some of your posts,I think a lot of you agree with that assesment. Looking to the future though I think ye have the makings of a good outfit,but remember nobody will hand ye anything.

reteoir (Galway) - Posts: 197 - 21/04/2013 13:24:32    1370965

Link

Another All Ireland which was there for the taking gone to dust. With their name on the title this year, one wonders did they take their eye off the ball at a critical juncture

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2772 - 21/04/2013 19:53:25    1371230

Link

don't think they took their eye off the ball, just not good enough at taking scores, a kildare problem since the 1990s, and has not gone away. We just don't produce top quality forwards and the wides are nearly always our undoing. We'll likely kick 10+ wides against dublin in the summer and lose by 5+ because of it, can't really have any complaints.

switec (Kildare) - Posts: 525 - 22/04/2013 09:22:53    1371403

Link

Can't take our scores, sounds painfully familiar doesn't it!!

lilypad (Kildare) - Posts: 1062 - 22/04/2013 12:21:16    1371587

Link

Jack l ,, I dont think they took their eye off the ball ,, but they certainly took their eyes off the posts ,, Galway simply did more with less ,, Its the old Kildare problem cannot find the posts when it matters ,, coupled with the fact that they were favourite ,, shades of senior final in 98 . They only needed one third of their wides to win the game ....How this problem persists over different squads and managers is mind boggling , Kildares wide to score ratio over the past twenty years at championship senior games is astounding ,,,Look It up ,, and now it seems its filtering into the underage

faithfan (Offaly) - Posts: 12 - 22/04/2013 12:48:05    1371615

Link

Very disappointing, can't even begin to imagine how the team must be feeling after that.

No point lowering ourselves to getting involved with the usuals on here just looking for a reaction, really says a lot about them that they feel the need to have a go at an underage team they've probably only seen once on the tv if that.

Don't think there is too much McGeeney could / should have done differently regarding team selection and tactics, won more than our fair share in midfield and definitely created more scoring chances.

20 wides along with 4 or 5 that dropped short to the keeper tells it's own story, just one of those days when things don't go your way. The polar opposite of the Laois match I suppose.

Galway definitely had their homework done on us, double marked Niall Kelly for long periods and ran in numbers at our halfback line as well as mixing it with quick low ball into their forward line.

Overall though it's been a successful year for the team, most of us would certainly have taken a Leinster title if offered it at the start of the year, it's just that when you come so close to making a final and feel like you've done enough to make it there it's a bitter pill to swallow. Still though we shouldn't let Saturday define what is a very talented bunch of players, by no means will it be the last we've seen of them.

Thought Byrne, Hyland and Flynn were the standout players for us.

if_in_doubt (Kildare) - Posts: 3640 - 22/04/2013 13:48:24    1371678

Link

Took my time posting on this. Have to say I was shell-shocked last saturday. I have been to almost every game these guys have played in since minor up and was always certain there was enough talent there to win something and am not a bit surprised to see so many breaking through to the senior team. For me the disappointment was next only to 1998. I really felt for those guys coming off the pitch last saturday evening,each knowing that as a team they are far, far better than the result they ended up with, and that is haunting for them. However they did bring home a Leinster and gave us some great entertainment along the way. Am looking forward to these young guys continue to drive on and show what they are really capable of in the senior jersey.

St.Conleth (Kildare) - Posts: 1611 - 25/04/2013 12:04:57    1373472

Link

Also took my time in posting a response too and I'll be honest about why....I was absolutely seething with disappointment and best to absorb and lick the wounds as they say. Another horrendous collapse on a big day. I would have been confident before the game that we would create enough opportunities to beat Galway and we did. When you can't kick a ball from over the bar from 20 yards you ain't winning any game let alone an all Ireland semi final. I know the lads will be gutted with their performance and especially those playing up front. We beat ourselves and its not the first or second time it's happened on big days. Can anyone put their finger on it?? Is it a mental block?? Is it the system these lads play to?? I would suggest it may be a mix of all these. I do think we may lack a bit of plain cuteness too. For example there is a time to use the inside of the boot as opposed to using the outside and looking for the wonder score. At times in that match all we needed to do was settle down and clip the ball over the bar. Maybe in time these players will learn how to do this. I hope they do otherwise they will continue losing out on the big days. We are in a transitional phase. It's only fair we give these players time. There's no doubt their talented and I stand by my view that Niall Kelly will still be a standout forward for Kildare. Offaly will be a massive challenge and anyone thinking beyond this game at this stage is bonkers.

Kildare30 (Kildare) - Posts: 601 - 25/04/2013 13:06:20    1373540

Link

Anyone else concerned that Niall Kelly has looked very ordinary in the last few games. Is it the heavy training or too many matches or is the natural talent being coached out of him. Hate to see him develop into another Kildare player who seems to lose skill as the gain physique. Eoin O'Flaherty is one such player that springs to mind as I think he could be a match winner if allowed to play more off the cuff rather than having to work so hard. But maybe that is the way the modern game is going?

murof (Kildare) - Posts: 480 - 25/04/2013 16:13:28    1373730

Link

murof

I have the same concerns. Feel he is being stifled. I had the same concerns about Podge Fogarty. Last year after a brilliant 20mins against Tyrone we saw little of the same from him in the few appearances he did make with seniors afterwards.

St.Conleth (Kildare) - Posts: 1611 - 25/04/2013 16:28:57    1373738

Link

Fogarty has a heavy schedule with the army this year. It's no great surprise and probably better off in the long run if he's not involved as much this year.

Kelly is very young and there's probably too much expected of him at the moment. Galway double marked him last weekend so teams are copping on to his talent. He might get some more space playing for the seniors.

beir_bua (Kildare) - Posts: 746 - 25/04/2013 16:41:00    1373762

Link