Kildare Forum

NFL Division 1

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Dublin again making soundings about Kildare being involved in Double-Headers in Croke Park (from Metro Herald 06/12). With the Dublin hurlers relegated there are no potential attractive double-headers with them - the Chairman Andy Kettle appears to be hoping that the GAA will force Kildare to double up with Dublin (to effectively help fill the Dublin coffers) and is complaining about the GAA dragging their feet and bemoaning the fact that they will miss out on the lucrative Xmas market for ticket sales. To be honest I am getting annoyed about Dublin assuming that Kildare is their plaything to help fill Croke Park. Let them play in their own Parnell Park!

jimski (Kildare) - Posts: 338 - 06/12/2012 11:22:54    1307151

Link

Unless they close down Conleths completely then I don't see why we should have to play our league games in Croke Park. Imagine playing a home match against Dublin in Dublin?

Fair enough health and safety committees will have a say on what the attendance can be but if matches are capped at say 8,000 then making games all ticket shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Hopefully the county boards hands aren't tied by financial issues and they actually have a say in this rather than the GAA telling them where we have to play matches.

if_in_doubt (Kildare) - Posts: 3640 - 06/12/2012 13:46:24    1307215

Link

Actually if_in_doubt the financial situation has actually improved according to reports in the Leinster Leader. Kildare made a profit of around €30,000 for the last financial year ending in October with most of this coming from the shop in Whitewater.

lilywhite1 (Kildare) - Posts: 2966 - 06/12/2012 14:58:50    1307275

Link

True enough but we're still pretty well in debt.

Great going by the shop, proved really popular on match days which is why playing in games in Newbridge is so important, but at the same time Croke Park is going to be looking closely at where money is spent and at any cheques that are written, we're by no means out of the woods yet.

Because of this I think there's a chance they may pressure the county board into agreeing to play league matches in Croke Park.

if_in_doubt (Kildare) - Posts: 3640 - 06/12/2012 15:15:44    1307292

Link

As per main page spring series thread looks like it's Dublin and Donegal in Croker so.

If as per the article we get Conleths repaired with the money made by doing it then it's worth it.

Short-term pain for long-term gain...

doublehop (Kildare) - Posts: 4172 - 11/12/2012 12:05:09    1309009

Link

Don't mind playing the 2 matches in Croker as long as St Conleth's gets its much needed improvements plus it will do no harm to have a run out in Croker before championship.

butters1990 (Kildare) - Posts: 262 - 11/12/2012 16:17:45    1309124

Link

Legitimate positives of playing in Croke Park 1. More Kildare people will travel 2. Bigger pitch suits our game 3. Good preparation for Championship 4. Kildare Dublin will attract a fairly decent crowd. Donegal travel well too and even better now that they hold Sam. 5. Surely Kildares cut of the pay will also be bigger?

Legitimate positives of playing in New Bridge 1. Intimidating atmosphere? Doesn't make any difference as the players would tell you themselves.

Until New Bridge is done up, I have no problem travelling to Croke Park.

cilldara13 (Kildare) - Posts: 261 - 11/12/2012 17:47:32    1309199

Link

"Legitimate positives of playing in Croke Park 1. More Kildare people will travel 2. Bigger pitch suits our game 3. Good preparation for Championship 4. Kildare Dublin will attract a fairly decent crowd. Donegal travel well too and even better now that they hold Sam. 5. Surely Kildares cut of the pay will also be bigger? "
Sorry cilldara13 but you cant be serious there surely?
1.Why are sure more Kildare people will travel? Between the anger of losing home advantage and the recession there wont be a huge travelling support imo.
2. The bigger pitch does not suit us when we play teams like Dublin, Donegal and Cork.
3. We have enough experience playing in Croker in recent years and a couple game there will not make much difference.
4. Our game against Donegal will be the warm up act for the Dublin game and will probably be played in a 3/4 empty stadium, cant expect the Dubs to leave the pubs early to see our game can you!
5.The figure given is €60-€70K. I'll believe that when it is lodged in Kildares account.
We should have insisted on playing in Newbridge in 2 all ticket games and instead we now have 2 home games and the dubs have 5. Is that fair or even sensible?

murof (Kildare) - Posts: 480 - 11/12/2012 21:30:06    1309343

Link

Agree with murof, nothing to be gained by playing in croke park. we play there regularly so it will make no difference. For once the county board / GAA could have thought of the fans and played these games as all ticket in Newbridge. Now we get to play Dublin in croke park for our home league game.

The county board should come out and ensure that any additional revenue made by this move is 100% used to upgrade St Conleths so this farce doesn't happen again

cilldaraman (Kildare) - Posts: 203 - 12/12/2012 08:34:07    1309367

Link

Exactly cilldaraman. I'm in embarrassed of our county grounds and even worse the dressing rooms are like two box rooms

hgzfxh (Kildare) - Posts: 317 - 12/12/2012 11:54:22    1309459

Link

1) More will travel defiantly... The majority of people I speak to round Kildare prefer the travel to Croke Park than the one to Newbridge. Not only the trip but the facilities in Newbridge are nothing less than disgraceful and its an embarrassing for every single kildare person when we host other counties here.
2) Yes Donegal, Dublin and Cork are good on a big pitch too but the only way we are ever going to come close to over taking these teams is if we get to play them enough times on a big pitch (Championship Set-up). There's no point in bringing them down to a tight pitch is Newbridge, might beat them, and then get hammered on the big pitch in Croke Park. The days of getting oneover your rivals at home in the leagues are over, it counts for nothing and its something small counties hold onto at the end of the year. We need to get rid of this attitude and aim higher.

cilldara13 (Kildare) - Posts: 261 - 12/12/2012 15:50:12    1309635

Link

I can't understand why Ryan has joined Kildare. It makes no sense to make such a backwards step. What he achieved with Wexford with such little resources in comparision to McGeeney was a massive achievement. Though if McGeeney fails again in 2013 Ryan is the natural successor.

Matthew (None) - Posts: 916 - 12/12/2012 19:33:47    1309773

Link

Matthew
County: All

I can't understand why Ryan has joined Kildare. It makes no sense to make such a backwards step. What he achieved with Wexford with such little resources in comparision to McGeeney was a massive achievement. Though if McGeeney fails again in 2013 Ryan is

Posting on the main forum you're obviously seeking help in understanding this. I'd let it go Matthew, Jason is a very intelligent man, that's why you will never grasp his reasoning.

St.Conleth (Kildare) - Posts: 1613 - 13/12/2012 08:14:06    1309901

Link

So money talks? Well this is one Kildare supporter who won't be making the trip to Croke Park to help line the pockets of our biggest rival. I can't believe the County Board have caved in - we were due to play 4 home games and 3 away; we will now play 2 home and 5 away virtually ensuring we are relegated at the end of the season - home team advantage is crucial. Having waited so long to see Div 1 football in Kildare, it's a kick in the teeth to the fans who travelled the country this summer to expect them to go on the road again when we don't have to. If we can play Kerry and Tyrone in Newbridge we can also play Donegal and Dublin there. I think the County Board need to explain and be honest with people regarding the financial advantage to the county of this arrangement and let us know what guarantees they have been given - I know that won't happen. This rubbish about the experience of playing in Croke Park holds no water - we already play there 3/4 times a year and we still haven't won a Leinster title in 12 years. I predict that threre will be a very poor Kildare attendance at the games.

jimski (Kildare) - Posts: 338 - 18/12/2012 16:55:46    1311848

Link

Good to see that fans won't be further put out by having to travel to Dublin on a Friday night for a game now anyways.

Would certainly be harder for some fans to make it to Croker as opposed to Newbridge, and asking them to do it on a Friday night would certainly have affected the travelling Kildare crowd I'd bet.

Plus fair play to Club Kildare for accommodating members with tickets for the two matches, pity they weren't able to do it last year for the Tyrone or Wicklow games though.

if_in_doubt (Kildare) - Posts: 3640 - 19/12/2012 16:13:24    1312142

Link

Great news that Johny Doyle has announced in an interview with KFM that he is staying on for another year. Full interview on Sunday afternoon with Killian Whelan.

lilywhite1 (Kildare) - Posts: 2966 - 21/12/2012 20:36:01    1312929

Link