Kildare Forum

Kevin Feeley

(Oldest Posts First)

After the disappointment of last Sundays game and all the analysis that have been done among supporters since, I think the Kildare county board and McGeeney or whoever will be manager, should do everything in their power to get Kevin Feeley to play with Kildare next year. Our midfield is struggling, Dermot wont be around forever, Hugh Lynch is still struggling to get to one hundred per cent fitness, Paudie O Neill is a hard working half forward....That leaves Daryl Flynn as our only recognised midfielder. I have been told from a couple of Athy players that Feeley was interested in playing but was not approached so then committed to Bohs.....Anyone from Athy on this forum that can fill us in. Great young player and a natural midfielder.

Willie Nelson (None) - Posts: 972 - 04/07/2012 12:15:53    1209230

Link

Mcgeeney approached feely to play and was told no. Geezer said so in an interview during the winter on kfm. If geezer couldnt get him to commit what hope has anyone else. He choose soccer over the senoir team thats the way it went. I know he plays for the under21 team but why would his decision change his mind now.

lilywhitemagic (Kildare) - Posts: 1693 - 04/07/2012 12:58:37    1209272

Link

There are financial reasons for him choosing soccer as he is in college. Heard his parents would rather he gave up the GAA altogether in case he picked up an injury as least until he finishes college. In a way I wonder would Mcgeeney ruin his natural footballing ability by forcing him to do weights. Gillespie of Meath didn't look as if he pumped much iron but by god he could soar for a high ball like Feeley does.

murof (Kildare) - Posts: 480 - 04/07/2012 13:12:28    1209292

Link

Lillymagic, so your saying there is no truth in the story of him not been approached? I dont know the ins and outs of it but a club mate of his told me he wasn't approached.

Willie Nelson (None) - Posts: 972 - 04/07/2012 14:16:39    1209392

Link

I heard there were several attempts to get him on board and I'd believe it. The guy is a fantastic player, brilliant fielder, tackler and scorer and works his socks off.

St.Conleth (Kildare) - Posts: 1592 - 04/07/2012 15:13:36    1209463

Link

Lads,

Just in case you didn't notice murof has just hit the nail on the head.

Lack of lads being allowed to naturally develop and instead been thrown in the gym and made to look like weight lifters.

This doesn't work.

daytona11 (Kildare) - Posts: 3683 - 04/07/2012 15:20:45    1209474

Link

daytona11
County: Kildare

Lads,

Just in case you didn't notice murof has just hit the nail on the head.

Lack of lads being allowed to naturally develop and instead been thrown in the gym and made to look like weight lifters.

This doesn't work.

Daytona your anti-geezer posts are obvious on this and other forums. Why don't you just say it straight out ?

St.Conleth (Kildare) - Posts: 1592 - 04/07/2012 15:29:18    1209487

Link

What? Is there something i've said that you think is inaccurate?

I believe that Kieran McGeeney's time has come. It's not personal. No doubt we had the legs on Meath on Sunday. however the football ability was not there. Are the lads bad footballers? I don't think so. he book has to stop somewhere.

Leinster is our only real hope of championship silverware at the moment and that has been blown again this year.

daytona11 (Kildare) - Posts: 3683 - 04/07/2012 17:01:26    1209599

Link

Agree with you daytona. Too many lads are being bulked up now to look like rugby players instead of being allowed to develop naturally. Look at that guy for Meath the other day, Carroll I think was his name. Was one of the smaller guys on the pitch but ran rings around our lads and had a great performance.

Kieran McGeeney has been given 5 years with this team. To me that's enough. How many other lads in the country were given that long when they'd never managed before or are in their 5th year in charge having not won any real silverware? This isn't working. As you say Leinster was what we needed this year. I believe we have players well capable of winning a Leinster title at least but the current set up has run it's course I think. They looked tired on Sunday, the hunger wasn't there.

Something has to change. Even if we go on a run in the qualifiers again and get to another quarter final to be knocked out by one of the "big" teams it's not enough now.

This is slightly off topic but why not let the players back to their clubs this weekend? Let them blow off some steam and get their confidence back rather than keeping them from their clubs and training them nearly every night of the week. Other big counties can still be successful and still let their players play for their clubs. You can only train so much and get so fit, matches would be of more benefit to them I think.

kefan (Kildare) - Posts: 498 - 04/07/2012 17:22:28    1209629

Link

heard Feeley was asked to come on board this year by McGeeney but decieded to give the soccer another year to see where it could take him which is fair enough i think. Conor Brophy from celbridge would be another player who should have been given a better chance in the middle i thought because he can really soar for the ball like feeley and gillespe.

rednation (Kildare) - Posts: 7 - 06/07/2012 16:32:02    1211067

Link

Willie nelson just going on what I heard on the kfm interview. Kieran said he had held discussions with feeley but he was going with the soccer. Said he is a very talented lad and the door will be open to him. Could be mistaken on when the interview was but thought it was start of O'Byrne cup.

lilywhitemagic (Kildare) - Posts: 1693 - 06/07/2012 18:14:42    1211150

Link

Lillywhite magic that is fair enough, thought I saw him working in the Kildare shop in the whitewater centre last Christmas. Hopefully he will come on board in not too distant future.

Willie Nelson (None) - Posts: 972 - 07/07/2012 08:05:42    1211271

Link

So doing weights makes you a bad footballer? Can someone explain Marty Clarke please??

Count_Awesome (Kildare) - Posts: 736 - 07/07/2012 11:12:30    1211337

Link

Feely stands high in fields of Athy

He was asked to join the senior team at the start of the year and turned down the offer. Wouldn't be surprised at all if he had been asked back again since then too.

There's plenty of time for him to join up with the seniors over the next few years, he'll still be eligible for the under 21's next year and possibly the year after that too.

The chap is living and studying in Dublin, it's fully understandable for him to stick to playing for Bohs over Kildare. I'd imagine it's a pretty intensive and demanding course he's doing, so commuting up and down to train with Athy and the under 21's is one thing, but to do it three or four times a week with the seniors would be much more difficult to keep up.

Think he's on a scholarship in college too so it'd probably mean giving that up were he to solely play GAA, could be wrong though.

He's one of a growing number of players in the league who have a genuine chance of making a career on a bigger stage than the domestic league. Neil Lennon was over at the Bohs - Shams match recently and he must have been impressed by how Feely played that night.

If he wants to stick to playing for Bohs to see what sort of opportunities he gets over the next few years then great, best of luck to him.

if_in_doubt (Kildare) - Posts: 3635 - 09/07/2012 15:28:59    1212916

Link