Galway Forum

Senior Championship Draw

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To anotheralias:  "There is no doubt that Corofin are a superb team, play beautiful football, are a joy to watch, and are excellent ambassadors for Galway football. They do make you proud of the county.
But I wouldn't write their name on the cup for 2020 just yet.
Oughterard are an excellent side ( and their reputation is justified by Templenoe's performance at senior in Kerry) ,
They will cause plenty of team's trouble this year and I fancy they will beat Monivea.
But their defending was naive on Sunday.
It is a testament to Corofin's ability that team's do have to be ultra negative to compete with them , but Tuam, Kilccoo (2019) and Mtbellew ( 2018) have shown that on occasions they can be caught .
In saying that it has to be said that ( no more than Dublin in their 5 in a row run) that even in those close games Corofin have prevailed in replays/extra time.
I think that there are probably 3 teams that could ( if the stars align for them) catch Corofin on the hop.
They are ( and in order)
1. Salthill - they really have the quality in numbers if they get their act together
2. Mountbellew - need to improve but they have the quality , albeit less depth than Salthill, and JD is a massive loss.
3. Moycullen - I honestly dont subscribe to all the recent hype about them but they still have a lot of quality"
SK about 2 to 3 years away from being able to seriously put it up to Corofin in my opinion if they keep the squad together. Group of players now aged between 18 and 23 are very talented with a raft of underage medals - Cathal Sweeney , Eoin Tinney, The Culhane brothers, Rob Finnerty, John Maher, Evan Murphy, Eoghan McFadden, Robert Walzer . Seriously talented bunch there but when you come up against Kieran Molloy, Liam Silke, Daithi Burke, Dylan Wall, Ian Burke, Ronan Steed, Micheal Lundy - all in their prime, 24-28 age group falling over all ireland club medals, many of them have never lost a championship game and they 8 years on the go. And Corofin have more depth and get more out of their senior lads (Gary Sice et al ) fitness wise. This corofin group are going nowhere. You'll see the dubs beaten in championship before corofin.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 294 - 04/08/2020 16:54:23    2286355

Link

Couldn't agree more re Corofin s dominance but salthill are the only team who can seriously break there stranglehold. MM struggled against Annaghdown and although theh will qualify as they have MB in the next round who are out of there depth at senior I don't fancy them to go further.
Moycullen still have 2/3:years of developing to go before they can handle Corofin.

What s the story with relegation and how it works?

handpassking (Galway) - Posts: 358 - 04/08/2020 17:13:35    2286356

Link

Evan Murphy back for Salthill. Played his first game in over a year and a half I believe. Was a huge talent at underage before that serious injury.

Marooned (Galway) - Posts: 1743 - 04/08/2020 17:18:27    2286357

Link

I don't think this Salthill team have any chance just yet and think the end scoreline vs Michaels didn't highlight how close the game was. Michaels could have came way with the win if at least one of their forwards showed up on the day. Predicting Salthill to lose one game in the group whether it be Spidal or Bearna to get the win

galway6 (Galway) - Posts: 30 - 04/08/2020 22:07:04    2286391

Link

Replying To handpassking:  "Couldn't agree more re Corofin s dominance but salthill are the only team who can seriously break there stranglehold. MM struggled against Annaghdown and although theh will qualify as they have MB in the next round who are out of there depth at senior I don't fancy them to go further.
Moycullen still have 2/3:years of developing to go before they can handle Corofin.

What s the story with relegation and how it works?"
Relegation is bottom 2 in groups of 3 cross play and the bottom 3 in groups of 4 make up the 2 semi finals, losers of those make relegation final, only one to be relegated. What are the odds on Oughterard to be relegated, they last went up in 2001 and down in 2002, just a thought.

dontlookback (Galway) - Posts: 227 - 05/08/2020 10:53:21    2286433

Link

Relegation is wide open. I think a lot of the clearly poorer teams (usually ones who had been top level but their players got old and retired) like Caltra, Killererin, Kilconly, Cortoon all went in last few years. Think you could throw a blanket over Breathneachs, Carraroe, Bearna, Michaels, James', Oughterard anda few more. Post lockdown there will almost certainly be heaps of injuries to lads cos of all the lost training and one or two injuries to key players could send almost anyone into trouble.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 294 - 05/08/2020 11:40:50    2286438

Link

Replying To kazoochka:  "Relegation is wide open. I think a lot of the clearly poorer teams (usually ones who had been top level but their players got old and retired) like Caltra, Killererin, Kilconly, Cortoon all went in last few years. Think you could throw a blanket over Breathneachs, Carraroe, Bearna, Michaels, James', Oughterard anda few more. Post lockdown there will almost certainly be heaps of injuries to lads cos of all the lost training and one or two injuries to key players could send almost anyone into trouble."
Swap barna with spiddal, they bet them by 4. Spiddal in trouble in their group with salthill to top and either micheals or barna to make knockouts.
Breathnachs v spiddal or oughterard or carraroe for the drop

mise87 (Galway) - Posts: 151 - 05/08/2020 20:28:02    2286507

Link

Mise 87 I can't help commenting on your selection of teams - all connemara teams! What's happening back there?? Have ye opened all the sherbeens again due to the lockdown!!

handpassking (Galway) - Posts: 358 - 05/08/2020 20:56:49    2286509

Link

Replying To mise87:  "Swap barna with spiddal, they bet them by 4. Spiddal in trouble in their group with salthill to top and either micheals or barna to make knockouts.
Breathnachs v spiddal or oughterard or carraroe for the drop"
By 3 points, if we're being accurate ;), which was a late goal. There was very little between either side over the course of the game and the same has been true of most games between the two over the last few years. The smaller groups this year put a lot of pressure on the first game. Round 2 will be almost or die for some now.

WanPintWin (Galway) - Posts: 754 - 05/08/2020 21:48:42    2286515

Link