Galway Forum

Corofin V Tuam Stars.

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Just like to know if any of the younger tuam stars lads stood out

rhudson (Galway) - Posts: 1069 - 21/10/2019 18:08:33    2244840

Link

Replying To hogget:  "100% agree. I was at the game yesterday and Corofin didn't seem to be operating to their usual ruthlessness, they scuppered numerous goal chance (some down to brilliant tuam defending, others down to sloppiness you would not associate with corofin players). The goal tuam scored in the 1st half was very soft from a corofin defending point of view, tuam midfielder travelled from 50m out without a glove left on him gave a one -two and palmed the ball to the net. Corofins intensity in the tackle was notably increased in the 2nd half and they did not allow Tuams forwards as much space to operate in as in the 1st half. Tuam kicking the last kick out long on top of 5 corofin players (power was even up at this stage) was an act of lunacy, the referee had indicated there would be one more play after the free so that kick out should have went short and tuam could have at least had a better chance of holding possession.
Credit to Tuam they played some nice football, defended manfully and had the necessary bit of luck on there side but I think they have missed there chance. You only get one chance at a team like Corofin as Mountbellew and other teams have seen through the years. Credit must also go to Corofin they showed why no team in Ireland has beaten them in championship football in over 2 years."
The replay will show whether Tuam are the real deal or just a one game wonder. It reminds me of years ago when Corofin drew with a Salthill team that was considered unbeatable. Corofin were given no chance in the replay but they won it easily and havent looked back since. Tuam are in that space now.

crafty (Galway) - Posts: 164 - 21/10/2019 18:52:12    2244844

Link

Replying To rhudson:  "Just like to know if any of the younger tuam stars lads stood out"
Brian Mannion in the full forward line kicked 5 points, man of the match,
Ben o Connell had a very strong game also, great maturity.

Galwaymaster9 (Galway) - Posts: 73 - 21/10/2019 19:32:14    2244850

Link

Replying To crafty:  "The replay will show whether Tuam are the real deal or just a one game wonder. It reminds me of years ago when Corofin drew with a Salthill team that was considered unbeatable. Corofin were given no chance in the replay but they won it easily and havent looked back since. Tuam are in that space now."
One game wonder? They have lost one competitive game (corofin) all year 1 defeat in 15 games and also in the league final.. whatever happens this year they have been very impressive, Corofin still big favourites but Tuam dont fear them now

Galwaymaster9 (Galway) - Posts: 73 - 21/10/2019 19:34:47    2244851

Link

Replying To crafty:  "The replay will show whether Tuam are the real deal or just a one game wonder. It reminds me of years ago when Corofin drew with a Salthill team that was considered unbeatable. Corofin were given no chance in the replay but they won it easily and havent looked back since. Tuam are in that space now."
Tuam made it to the final after only losing once all year, and but for Corofin's experience in big-games, would have won. What more do they need to do to prove they're 'the real deal'??

And I say that as a Corofin supporter!!

festinog (Galway) - Posts: 2752 - 21/10/2019 20:12:31    2244855

Link

Replying To Galwaymaster9:  "One game wonder? They have lost one competitive game (corofin) all year 1 defeat in 15 games and also in the league final.. whatever happens this year they have been very impressive, Corofin still big favourites but Tuam dont fear them now"
Tuam have done amazingly well. They were in a relegation battle last year and but for jamie Murphy may well have not survived. Their new manager deserves a lot of credit and by the sounds of it Tuam have room for improvement in the replay too

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1040 - 21/10/2019 20:46:29    2244862

Link

Replying To festinog:  "Tuam made it to the final after only losing once all year, and but for Corofin's experience in big-games, would have won. What more do they need to do to prove they're 'the real deal'??

And I say that as a Corofin supporter!!"
You are the real deal when you win the championship. Look at Mayo, won loads of games but couldnt get across the line in the final. Where are Mountbellew now who are arguably a better side than Tuam. Last year they got to where Tuam are now but fell at the last fence. This is the fence that Tuam have to jump. Can they do it? We'll have to wait and see.

crafty (Galway) - Posts: 164 - 21/10/2019 20:54:26    2244864

Link

Never heard as many people to give out about Ollie turner and it's not fair on people who can't make it to a game... frank Morris a corofin legend and he gave tuam credit which listeners were shocked by... Ollie and Blake need to be let go

John789 (Galway) - Posts: 26 - 21/10/2019 21:03:42    2244865

Link

Replying To John789:  "Never heard as many people to give out about Ollie turner and it's not fair on people who can't make it to a game... frank Morris a corofin legend and he gave tuam credit which listeners were shocked by... Ollie and Blake need to be let go"
frank morris is great. Tells you what's going in and none of the dramatics. Judges players on what he sees in front of him , no stories about what happened 20 years ago - no bias creeps into his commentary. Just facts

Really like kevin o dwyer too

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1040 - 21/10/2019 23:34:06    2244883

Link

Replying To galwayfball:  "I suffered through it. Unfortunately they had a tendency to not bother to tell the listeners the score . They seemed to be under the impression we could see what was going on"
The best commentators on RnaG have retired, unfortunately, but I know what you mean re Galway bay FM.

baire (Galway) - Posts: 787 - 22/10/2019 00:13:01    2244886

Link

Morris knew the minor team lads inside out too. Even lads who aren't minor county. Both sides. The man is an encyclopedia.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 285 - 22/10/2019 09:26:51    2244903

Link

Replying To kazoochka:  "Morris knew the minor team lads inside out too. Even lads who aren't minor county. Both sides. The man is an encyclopedia."
By the way, that Salthill minor team is incredible. That forward line with Culhane, Sheerin, Tinney, Nolan, O'Shea and Halloran is as good as I've seen live for a minor club team in a long time. Even with all the forwards they have they can afford to play Cathal Sweeney centre back and have county minor Daniel O'Flaherty on the bench! Will definitely win Connacht as well.

galway19 (Galway) - Posts: 76 - 22/10/2019 12:26:54    2244925

Link

Replying To galway19:  "By the way, that Salthill minor team is incredible. That forward line with Culhane, Sheerin, Tinney, Nolan, O'Shea and Halloran is as good as I've seen live for a minor club team in a long time. Even with all the forwards they have they can afford to play Cathal Sweeney centre back and have county minor Daniel O'Flaherty on the bench! Will definitely win Connacht as well."
Have to agree with u. I tipped caltra to win but salthill blew them out of water. To keep what I thought was a very strong caltra scoreless for 30 min is some team. Half time game over. Now lets all get behind this fantastic salthill team and hopefully they can win Connacht. On this performance I can't see them stopped.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 249 - 22/10/2019 13:34:29    2244950

Link

I think Corofin were one year wonders last year and Tuam will hop them in the replay.

SomeBoy (Galway) - Posts: 6 - 22/10/2019 14:50:24    2244970

Link

Replying To SomeBoy:  "I think Corofin were one year wonders last year and Tuam will hop them in the replay."
Yes one year wonders in Galway 16 times since 1991, All Ireland wonders 4 times and Connacht wonders on several occasions. Lets see what Tuam do.

crafty (Galway) - Posts: 164 - 22/10/2019 21:20:48    2245070

Link

Tuam will be bet by 10 points in the replay. Underdog doesn't get two bites.

TheTopPitch (Galway) - Posts: 2 - 22/10/2019 22:22:28    2245102

Link

Replying To crafty:  "Yes one year wonders in Galway 16 times since 1991, All Ireland wonders 4 times and Connacht wonders on several occasions. Lets see what Tuam do."
Fact you took his post seriously..............

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 285 - 23/10/2019 09:28:34    2245144

Link

Last Sunday in the stadium was the best Galway Club county final for years.
The weather, the atmosphere, the crowd, the spectacle. the 2 teams. it had everything.
Tuam will feel hard done but they had no one else to blame but themselves. I had tipped them to beat Corofin by a point in an earlier post, is their chance gone?
Corofin had 34 chances (with 15 taken)
Tuam got 11 scores, goals win games & if Corofin had taken their goal chances as Tuam did it might have been a different result
Also I feel Molloy for Corofin at half back is better utilized and Daithi Burke MF is the link man.
Roll on Sunday week for Round 2- can't wait!

Tiddlywinks77 (Galway) - Posts: 262 - 23/10/2019 17:54:43    2245308

Link